Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

joedevola posted:

Is it normal for a new LCD panel to display ghosting if the image has only been on screen for a few minutes?

Got a new LG 4K LCD and It's really loving distracting. The after image goes away eventually but the 15 year old HD set I replaced with it never had this problem.

I've seen it happen with new LCD monitors before but wouldn't call it normal. It eventually stopped happening in my experience but still concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

joedevola posted:

Is it normal for a new LCD panel to display ghosting if the image has only been on screen for a few minutes?

Got a new LG 4K LCD and It's really loving distracting. The after image goes away eventually but the 15 year old HD set I replaced with it never had this problem.

Ghosting is not normal behavior (unless you’re talking ghosting at the millisecond level). You should be attempting a return ASAP.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

joedevola posted:

What model? You can compare pixel response times to other sets on rtings.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

joedevola posted:

It sounds to me like you're describing temporary image retention. Which, unfortunately, is not unusual on some of LG's IPS models. So it may be "normal" for the model. But the "ghost" images should disappear after a few minutes at most. But if it's enough to be distracting, I'd encourage you to return it if you can. LG's non-OLED models are not great TVs.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Ok, thanks. I'd already considered returning it because this is my first smart TV and the LG interface is loving horrendous. Everything about it is bad.

80% of the home screen (which it doesn't even default to at startup) is adverts for poo poo. I've seen it take up to ten seconds to load the settings menu. The lag is so bad apps will start loading on top of each other. And all this is after being forced to agree to let LG sell all my info to whoever they like just to use the cocksucker.

I was going to get a Netflix certified mecool box and just use that but I could see the after image of a YouTube thumbnail clearly for about three minutes until a full screen colour change. I know myself, that'll drive me crazy.

Edit: it's a LG 43 Inch 43UP76906LE. Stupidly I chose it mostly because the bezel is white. I figured since the last time I bought a TV everything would be more or less standardized.

I swear the contrast on this set is worse than my old 1080p Samsung. I tried watching that resident evil show last night with the HDR on and I could barely see anything, just very bright grey darkness.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 27, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rules of TVs:

Please dont buy Samsungs (always better value/performance out there)
Please dont buy non-OLED LGs (see above)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1552727063165124613?s=20&t=V6N_gzwoCkgp9z_GQNZl1w

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that will happen with any TV. Turns out when you break the glass substrate, displays stop working!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Another point for the wall mounting column

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My S95B has an issue where Windows doesn't fit perfectly in it.

There's a little cut off on the bottom and top of the display. It's not a huge deal but it's very annoying.

My understanding is that this is called overscan. Is there any way to fix this without messing up the image quality?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Taima posted:

There's a little cut off on the bottom and top of the display. It's not a huge deal but it's very annoying.

My understanding is that this is called overscan. Is there any way to fix this without messing up the image quality?

You can adjust overscan in the Nvidia control panel (iirc from gpu thread you have a 3090?)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

You should be adjusting this in your GPU control panel. Overscan is the correct term.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not necessarily GPU overscan, can be a zoom level setting on the TV as well. Kinda funny for a modern TV and GPU combo to gently caress up though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah that's the kind of thing a gpu and tv should figure out during the hdmi handshake. Maybe the computer was set to a 16:10 resolution or something.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So TV/audio question.

The wife and I have a LG 55CX. Most of the time we watch TV in the evening after our 1 year old has gone to sleep.

We often get a pair of Samsung Galaxy Earbuds (we each have our own pair, but we only use one pair when watching TV together. One in each ear.) And connect that to the TV.

That way we can listen to the TV at a decent volume, not worry about waking the baby and still have an ear to listen out for sounds in the real world. (Like the baby waking up.)

This has been fine and works great for us since December when we got the new TV.

But in the last few weeks, the sound quality on the ead buds when connected to the TV has gotten really bad.
It'll be fine and then start to break up like you have walked too far away from the TV. It happens regularly enough that it's become really frustrating.
It happens with both our sets of earbuds. I can't see any updates available for the TV or the earbuds to fix it.

We don't have the problem when sound is played through the TV's speakers or the Soundbar system.

Does anyone have any ideas? I read online to try and unplug the LG soundbar in case that was causing interference, but that did nothing.

I might consider factory resetting the TV. It will be a pain to re-enter all my passwords on the TV but if it fixes the sound problem, that would be great.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

So TV/audio question.

The wife and I have a LG 55CX. Most of the time we watch TV in the evening after our 1 year old has gone to sleep.

We often get a pair of Samsung Galaxy Earbuds (we each have our own pair, but we only use one pair when watching TV together. One in each ear.) And connect that to the TV.

That way we can listen to the TV at a decent volume, not worry about waking the baby and still have an ear to listen out for sounds in the real world. (Like the baby waking up.)

This has been fine and works great for us since December when we got the new TV.

But in the last few weeks, the sound quality on the ead buds when connected to the TV has gotten really bad.
It'll be fine and then start to break up like you have walked too far away from the TV. It happens regularly enough that it's become really frustrating.
It happens with both our sets of earbuds. I can't see any updates available for the TV or the earbuds to fix it.

We don't have the problem when sound is played through the TV's speakers or the Soundbar system.

Does anyone have any ideas? I read online to try and unplug the LG soundbar in case that was causing interference, but that did nothing.

I might consider factory resetting the TV. It will be a pain to re-enter all my passwords on the TV but if it fixes the sound problem, that would be great.

Interference is a possibility. Look for anything new (or recently moved to a new spot) in that room or on the other side of the wall the couch + TV is on that's electronic since the issue started occurring.

Before factory resetting the TV, try doing an unpair and repair. I don't have a galaxy buds, but they may have a reset like AirPods do, and if they do I would do that as well.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Did the Youtube app suddenly start cranking up the number of ads it serves? Last month I'd never see an ad when playing youtube on my TV, now I'm sitting through 2 ads to start a video, and interrupted with 2 more every few minutes, it's nuts.

Next question, how do I stop that poo poo? I'm on an android TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that will happen with any TV. Turns out when you break the glass substrate, displays stop working!

"I have a tiny pin-size puncture in my submarine and it stopped working! Terrible design."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

NZAmoeba posted:

Did the Youtube app suddenly start cranking up the number of ads it serves? Last month I'd never see an ad when playing youtube on my TV, now I'm sitting through 2 ads to start a video, and interrupted with 2 more every few minutes, it's nuts.

You could always pay for Premium

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NZAmoeba posted:

I have definitely noticed this as well and remarked to my wife about it. However..

morestuff posted:

You could always pay for Premium

.. I did have Premium (which was awesome) and recently cancelled it. I wonder if there's an "overserve them ads if they cancel Premium so they'll know what they're missing" kinda thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't had Premium for ages and the ads have gone insane.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah, ads are generally 2x pre-roll + multiple mid breaks depending on video length. Also less and less skip-able ads.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

So TV/audio question.

I know no one likes wires but this is one of those cases where you should do yourself a favor and definitely invest in a wired solution, such as a 3.5mm splitter or something of that nature. Get a lil headphone mount to put behind the TV out of the way and be able to hang them and the cable up real tidy when not in use.

Shucks, what am I thinkin. Get the 3.5mm splitter (to whatever you need to suit your TVs outputs), and get two RF wireless sets of headphones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I have definitely noticed this as well and remarked to my wife about it. However..

.. I did have Premium (which was awesome) and recently cancelled it. I wonder if there's an "overserve them ads if they cancel Premium so they'll know what they're missing" kinda thing.

SA mart has a few threads for using the family deal program. I think the cost ends up at like $8/yr.

EL BROMANCE you should get in on it too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

SA mart has a few threads for using the family deal program. I think the cost ends up at like $8/yr.

I have my one family group already (for YouTube tv and other Google services) so I can't really do that easily. I'm too entrenched

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext
It even has SponsorBlock. No amount of Youtube Premium will do that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah I’ve meant to look into it and seeing if I can apply it to
my existing account. That’s the kind of price that works for me, a monthly sub at their US cost simply isn’t.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The homebrew launcher for LG's WebOS also has a modified version of the YouTube app available. Green button launches a menu that lets you customize adblocking

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What the heck

https://www.cseed.tv/en/indoor-tv/c-seed-n1-165/137/103-tv.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Interstellar robots + BR2049 = TV

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

loving lmao at trying to color and brightness match six separate panels good luck with that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

uhh

why?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

That's just Samsung The Wall or Sony Crystal LED.

Those things are 6 figures for a 1080p display.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"We need to watch the game at your place. My TV failed to deploy again and the engineering team missed their launch window."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Because it's something you pretty much have to do manually, due to panel variation in the manufacturing process. So unless that's included in the price...

Don't get me wrong; as a concept it's neat, but it's going to have some technical hurdles that will require paid labor to address.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 1, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
"Who wants to help me move my nearly 3000 pound TV? Dammit I knew I should've gotten the 103" model, it's only 1 ton"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sure it would come calibrated for however much that sells for. Hell, panel manufacturers could build automated calibration into their assembly process if they really wanted to but that costs money.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

jisforjosh posted:

"Who wants to help me move my nearly 3000 pound TV? Dammit I knew I should've gotten the 103" model, it's only 1 ton"

That’s what the help is for

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

"We need to watch the game at your place. My TV failed to deploy again and the engineering team missed their launch window."

Webb Telescope sized folding TV when you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Because it's something you pretty much have to do manually, due to panel variation in the manufacturing process. So unless that's included in the price...

Don't get me wrong; as a concept it's neat, but it's going to have some technical hurdles that will require paid labor to address.

All those big Microled screens are multiple panels. Seems to have ready made solutions. https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/solutions/signage-solution/color-expert-pro