Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's excellent, thank you, vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. The new thread in MG is a fantastic idea and I'm glad it got workshopped into something that could help others. Likewise, VG is obviously fantastic and will be a great admin for the Games stuff.

I'm pretty happy for the state of Games and its subforums right now! It helps the community here is so great. Despite the stupid poo poo I've said elsewhere (and don't worry, I'm going to stay the hell out of QCS from now on), I genuinely enjoy modding this forum and I'm glad there's such great people here to make it so fun to post and so easy to moderate.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's excellent, thank you, mega64

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congrats again vg, I could've sworn you had a red star before and I guess I hadn't misremembered.

And thanks too, Metis and mega64.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd like to start rotating some of the stickies. I think the Rules/Feedback, Chat, Fresh Releases, and Index threads are solid permanent stickies, but I think it'd be cool to have two other threads stickied for a month or so to increase exposure to threads that may get overlooked (in addition to temporary charity runs like GDQ). The main thing is I want to avoid stickying dedicated game/series threads and focus more on other types of threads that may get overlooked.

If you have feedback on this idea or suggestions for threads you want to see stickied for August, please share them here or PM me and I'll pick what sounds best or what people want most.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

none. u just cut stickies down to a more sane level dont immediately add more for no reasont hanks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

frankly you could unsticky everything except this thread and the index thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chat is so constantly posted in it would be on the first page regardless, same with Fresh Releases because at least twice daily someone will post some almost interesting steam game in there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Make the entire first page stickies

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Make the entire first page stickies

Why stop there? Sticky every thread in games.

And then, when every thread is stickied, no thread will be stickied.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

What threads need exposure? I can't think of any. And I agree the chat thread could be dropped. It's always going to be at the top of the first page anyway.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the only stickied threads should literally be this thread and the index thread, since I think people use that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the only stickied threads should literally be this thread and the index thread, since I think people use that

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think the best games ever thread should stay. That would disappear completely but I think people like reading through it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I think it's cool that games has like 3 pages of quite active threads and every time you reload page 1 you see a bunch of different stuff

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Walla posted:

I think the best games ever thread should stay. That would disappear completely but I think people like reading through it.

it doesn't look very active imo. just bookmark it

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think it's cool that games has like 3 pages of quite active threads and every time you reload page 1 you see a bunch of different stuff

my friend, when we get it so less than half the first page is stickied.... you're gonna see some stuff

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Agreed. The huge variety is very good.

The only thing I kinda dislike about games is the inability to filter out all the big megathreads for games I don't play, but that's a very minor issue.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The chat thread should probably be stickied for the first couple days of each month so people can find each new one (or one of the mods/IKs could post a link for each new thread in the OP), but otherwise I'm down leaving stickies just to this thread, the index thread, and threads for other special occasions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Stickies are fine. I think you should freely sticky any thread you think is cool and then just unsticky it a few days later, without making a big deal about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just let me mute threads i don't like

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think the chat thread should be stickied too

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Stickies are fine. I think you should freely sticky any thread you think is cool and then just unsticky it a few days later, without making a big deal about it

this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looper posted:

just let me mute threads i don't like

Yeah for all the faults of Xenforo that is one of its features I really enjoy. If you have five threads on the first page on your ignore list, they won't show up and it'll show the next five that would be on the second page.

Now that I'm thinking of it I'm gonna go post it in the tech forum.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have no problem with fewer stickies. I think part of the reason we have had so many over the years is on an average day the first 6 pages of Games all contain posts within the last hour. It has the most threads/posts of any forum but is not busy busy.

Rotating out stickies and swapping things up is good. As long as this and the index are stickied we could easily give the ocassional week over to a couple of not so megathreads now and then.

I would definitely love more and varied game related threads.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just having the rules and index threads as permanent stickies is fine if you keep links to other interesting threads in the OP of the index thread. I like the idea of rotating stickies for other threads worth noticing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my friend, when we get it so less than half the first page is stickied.... you're gonna see some stuff

the default is 40 threads per page what are you talking about lol

six is fine. it's probably the upper limit but who cares

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Is there an actual limit to the number of threads you can sticky? Out of pure curiosity.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Is there an actual limit to the number of threads you can sticky? Out of pure curiosity.

We should test it

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

If I go forward with this experiment you all have to promise not to get mad at me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can't get mad at metis on her unbirthday

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Who gets mad at Metis?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Metis of the Hallways posted:

If I go forward with this experiment you all have to promise not to get mad at me

i'll just close the thread until you're finished. they can't complain if there's no open feedback thread

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Walla posted:

Who gets mad at Metis?

i'm always mad at metis due to various slights

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ok no one has told me I can't do this so let's begin

edit: feeling like there's no limit

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 31, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Metis of the Stickied Threads

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

about to stick one more thread than can fit on a page. just to see.

edit: the stickys overflow. fascinating. thus ends this grand experiment. all will return to normal in one hour.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Metis Madness

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Thread is temporarily closed for an oil change

E:

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
We're just going to replace the feedback thread's cabin air filter and refill the wiper fluid and everything will be back to normal.