Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FfxIV has gotta have the most text of any video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

wow Open Fortress kicks loving rear end

I've not heard of this, it's good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Komegatze/status/1553459113648168962?s=20&t=ckODeXTBSyj1jaAMF8c7Sg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"the one free man"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/exec_suspend/status/1553571085378981889?s=20&t=GEBnGoEFYuuFO_GOM7N5EA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go watch Walk Hard the Dewey Cox Story

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok I've completed Turnabout Academy in Dual Destinies.

I loving knew it was gonna be Aristotle Means from the start. He rubbed me the wrong way the second he showed up. His breakdown was amazing and the chalkboard was great.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finished Shin Megami Tensei V. I enjoyed it, but it did become a bit of a slog in the latter parts which is why it's taken me months to finish. The music absolutely slaps, though, and overall I thought the new and re-designed demons were really good.

Maybe on to NEO: TWEWY next, or I might take a break from RPGs. I'm hoping TWEWY plays more briskly than SMT did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You hear the Shiva theme?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

You hear the Shiva theme?

Unfortunately I skipped that quest since I barely made the requirements for it and figured I should save it for NG+.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Check the track at least. It's fantastic, there's an industrial influence that doesn't really come out anywhere else in the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Finished Shin Megami Tensei V. I enjoyed it, but it did become a bit of a slog in the latter parts which is why it's taken me months to finish. The music absolutely slaps, though, and overall I thought the new and re-designed demons were really good.

Maybe on to NEO: TWEWY next, or I might take a break from RPGs. I'm hoping TWEWY plays more briskly than SMT did.

TWEWY was a generally pretty brisk ride, with the caveat that the game gates your attack slots to your party members, so the early game fights (like two hours) can feel slow paced until you get #4. Probably my favorite JRPG that came out in 2021.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why are they stickying all the threads

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Why are they stickying all the threads

science

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

don't be afraid. i do this in the service of knowledge.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

when every thread is stickied

no thread will be

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

well, I've learned a lot from this and I hope you all have too.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i learned that the real stickies are the friends we made along the way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My bookmarks suddenly had a bunch of golden sticky notices on a bunch of threads and I knew shenanigans were afoot

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Metis out here flaunting the forbidden knowledge that will destroy us all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Metis has gone mad with power, she must be stopped

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

one by one the stickies blink out

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd like to apport my small grain of sand and inform the sticky changes did nothing to the bookmarks so you could leave them this way and I bet 99% of posters would not notice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gorden

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Time moves so much slower when you're a kid. Somehow in my mind the originals came out years before G/S, and the first GBA games years later.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don't know how they're picking these dates, GS/Crystal were a year apart in each region. 99/00 in Japan, 00/01 in NA. I looked it up because I thought it was weird.

But to your larger point, you're right, it's crazy how much faster games used to come out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FF7, 8, 9 and 10 all came out between 1997 and 2001.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

stev posted:

FF8 came out on the same exact day as the Sega Dreamcast launch (9/9/99) which is one of those memories that feels like it can't be true.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean if anything Pokemon games are coming out faster, don't forget we're getting two of them in a single year lol

Please just let them rest tpc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

stev posted:

Weren't 9, 10, and 11 all in development at the same time too?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Weren't they all different devs? I know at least BDSP was farmed out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wuggles posted:

I don't know how they're picking these dates, GS/Crystal were a year apart in each region. 99/00 in Japan, 00/01 in NA. I looked it up because I thought it was weird.

But to your larger point, you're right, it's crazy how much faster games used to come out.

Oh right, those are European dates. So they’re accurate to my childhood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rinkles posted:

Time moves so much slower when you're a kid. Somehow in my mind the originals came out years before G/S, and the first GBA games years later.

drat, looks we're almost due for a new Nintendo system

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Weren't 9, 10, and 11 all in development at the same time too?

They got announced at the same time!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah a lot of FFs have had overlapping developments, but the wild thing is that 9, 10, and 11 were all announced at the same event.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thinking about FF history reminded me about how secretive Square used to be with its marketing. They had closed screenings of the XIII trailer. That would be completely nuts in this day age.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Check the track at least. It's fantastic, there's an industrial influence that doesn't really come out anywhere else in the game.

Okay yeah this rules.

Last Celebration posted:

TWEWY was a generally pretty brisk ride, with the caveat that the game gates your attack slots to your party members, so the early game fights (like two hours) can feel slow paced until you get #4. Probably my favorite JRPG that came out in 2021.

That doesn't seem too bad, I'll give it a shot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I seem to recall I had some shakycam footage of a Final Fantasy X preview event back then

edit: found it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4

double edit: also some FFXI concept art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1YPSp2VAI

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 31, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

ymgve posted:

I seem to recall I had some shakycam footage of a Final Fantasy X preview event back then

edit: found it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4

That's awesome. I wish companies would upload old footage like that. It's fascinating to see early builds of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Rinkles posted:

Thinking about FF history reminded me about how secretive Square used to be with its marketing. They had closed screenings of the XIII trailer. That would be completely nuts in this day age.

Sega tried that with Sonic Frontiers and it didn’t go well