Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Unreal.

Edit: She is unreal, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Bubba to LIV made me be like, drat, but then, who care? loving pumped to see some of my favorite golfers be put out to stud while they could still feasibly be top 10 at…some midling tourney.

In other news, 6 liters of water is the magic number of liters it takes for me to play 18 while it’s 93 out and not feel like death.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
DJ and Bryson playing a round with Trump ahead of the next LIV tourney (at a Trump owned course).

loving EWWW DAVID.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/sport/trump-dechambeau-johnson-liv-golf-spt-intl/index.html

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

DJ and Bryson playing a round with Trump ahead of the next LIV tourney (at a Trump owned course).

loving EWWW DAVID.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/sport/trump-dechambeau-johnson-liv-golf-spt-intl/index.html

And here I thought I couldn't dislike Bryson anymore than I already did.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
After seeing him argue for relief cause his ball was two feet from an anthill I have no doubt Trump is Brysons spirit animal

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
6 of 7 fairways on the front nine, missing only 9, and 6 of 7 on the back, missing only 18. Number 9 is a driveable par 4, and I hit it past the pin, but in a green side bunker.

Played a course that just set up for me. Lots of right to left shots that suited my draw nicely. Lots of holes where you can cut the corner and shoot at the green if you take on a little risk, changing a technically 6400 par 72 to closer to 6000.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

loving EWWW DAVID.

Bobby going hard on em.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shot a 104 today at Celebration (55/49). Didn't lose a ball until 15, where the wheels kind of came off a bit and ruined my shot at 100. I didn't play a round with one ball, but I did play a round with one tee!

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Omne posted:

Shot a 104 today at Celebration (55/49). Didn't lose a ball until 15, where the wheels kind of came off a bit and ruined my shot at 100. I didn't play a round with one ball, but I did play a round with one tee!

That's crazy.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Following up on the Arccos chat, I put in 14 rounds over the last month with them so I could unlock all of the features and dig into the statistics a bit more.

I was going to do an :effort: post on all the pros and cons, but it really just boils down to the fact that it's too finicky and annoying to deal with properly inputting all of the putting info and fixing the missed shots, and all of the statistics it keeps can be done easier in many other apps. It's a good concept and I'm sure tech like it will improve over time, but it's totally not worth it in it's current form at their current pricing, IMO.

The thing that put the final nail in the coffin on Arccos for me was looking into the cancellation procedure. You can't manage your subscription from the website or the app at all. It makes you email them and ask to cancel, which opens a loving support ticket that you have to respond to. Then when you confirm you want to cancel, they immediately shut off all of your access to the app, even though I still had 15 days left in my trial period. Archaic anti-consumer poo poo like that for an app-based product in 2022 is insane.

Anyway, taking all of the sensors off of my clubs while I was playing the other day felt good.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Shot 47 (meh) - 39 for an 86 this week and really felt a groove going on that back 9. I got a solid routine and a swing intention that’s really working for me lately. Just gotta clean up some of the risk management; most of the 47 was trying to advance the ball too far out of trees instead of going short back to the fairway.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

Following up on the Arccos chat, I put in 14 rounds over the last month with them so I could unlock all of the features and dig into the statistics a bit more.

I was going to do an :effort: post on all the pros and cons, but it really just boils down to the fact that it's too finicky and annoying to deal with properly inputting all of the putting info and fixing the missed shots, and all of the statistics it keeps can be done easier in many other apps. It's a good concept and I'm sure tech like it will improve over time, but it's totally not worth it in it's current form at their current pricing, IMO.

The thing that put the final nail in the coffin on Arccos for me was looking into the cancellation procedure. You can't manage your subscription from the website or the app at all. It makes you email them and ask to cancel, which opens a loving support ticket that you have to respond to. Then when you confirm you want to cancel, they immediately shut off all of your access to the app, even though I still had 15 days left in my trial period. Archaic anti-consumer poo poo like that for an app-based product in 2022 is insane.

Anyway, taking all of the sensors off of my clubs while I was playing the other day felt good.

My Shotscope is a similar user experience. Finicky to make sure you miss no shots, have to remember to manually indicate putts and the location of the hole. The stats are nice, but the things you have to do to keep track are outside normal golf thoughts, so easily forgotten.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The Garmin app just updated so you can shoot at little practice greens on the driving range. I love it.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I wish that arccos could just let me tap the club on my Apple Watch to log a shot rather than trying to do automatic hit detection, that’s my main complaint with the system.

Of course this would require a whole different sensor on my club, which they would most likely not honor my lifetime access with.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BCRock posted:

Yea I’m echoing all your concerns but this was the worst part. gently caress that predatory poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

Just cancelled my subscription too. I was able to do it through a link in the email that was sent when I originally signed up.

Played my 5th and final round with Arccos at my usual course today, from the tips for the first time in 2 years and 2nd time ever at this course. 7010 yds is not really that much worse than 6730 yds. I was -2 after 5 but struggled through the rest of the round. Had to birdie 18 to shoot -1. It rained all week and the course was playing very wet and long. The 493 yd par 4 17th was into the wind and I hit driver 3 wood. The 562 yd par 5 18th was not, also hit driver 3 wood.

The yardage book I bought prior to my previous round proved more valuable in terms of starting lines off the tee and elevation adjustments for approach shots.

I think it’s good enough to manually keep track of stats each round: L/R/Fairway hit, L/R/Short/Long/GIR, and then putts per hole.

Might not play another round until Congressional in late September/early October.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 30, 2022

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

Just cancelled my subscription too. I was able to do it through a link in the email that was sent when I originally signed up.

Played my 5th and final round with Arccos at my usual course today, from the tips for the first time in 2 years and 2nd time ever at this course. 7010 yds is not really that much worse than 6730 yds. I was -2 after 5 but struggled through the rest of the round. Had to birdie 18 to shoot -1. It rained all week and the course was playing very wet and long. The 493 yd par 4 17th was into the wind and I hit driver 3 wood. The 562 yd par 5 18th was not, also hit driver 3 wood.

The yardage book I bought prior to my previous round proved more valuable in terms of starting lines off the tee and elevation adjustments for approach shots.

I think it’s good enough to manually keep track of stats each round: L/R/Fairway hit, L/R/Short/Long/GIR, and then putts per hole.

Might not play another round until Congressional in late September/early October.

I also was able to cancel via the link in the initial email when the trial first started. I found it neat, and I actually would have liked to continue to see the strokes gained evolve over time, but the membership price was just a bit steep. Maybe if it ever goes on a discount I'll break out the sensors again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah if you go to the site to try to cancel it pretty explicitly states to call OR go to the initial email and find the cancel link (which is how I did it).

Pretty stupid, but not hard to do.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My two muni courses are in primo shape. I can play all I want for 60 bucks a month walking, $20 cart fee, but I don't ride unless I have to.

It's so hot in Florida I have to keep a few gloves on a rotation or I will straight up sweat right through them. I've found the umbrella is very good for this.

Now I just gotta take less than 9 holes to warm up :v: 45 front 38 back last time out. Still a 15HCI and it's feeling like I'm at a ceiling. I've been fighting the shanks lately and it resulted in a 10 on a par 5 first 9 :(

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 31, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

My two muni courses are in primo shape. I can play all I want for 60 bucks a month walking, $20 cart fee, but I don't ride unless I have to.

It's so hot in Florida I have to keep a few gloves on a rotation or I will straight up sweat right through them. I've found the umbrella is very good for this.

Now I just gotta take less than 9 holes to warm up :v: 45 front 38 back last time out. Still a 15HCI and it's feeling like I'm at a ceiling. I've been fighting the shanks lately and it resulted in a 10 on a par 5 first 9 :(
That looks really nice for Florida in the heat of summer!

I would say that if you're able to play unlimited golf, you want to be grooving GOOD habits. So whether that's getting lessons or recording your swing and asking us for feedback, this seems like an opportunity to make some real improvements.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Speaking of, anyone know of a decent iphone holder I could mount on my apparatus? I am completely unable to duplicate what I do on the course with what I am doing on the range. I want to be able to record swings out playing without trying to prop an iphone up against something.

EDIT: nvm found one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3NSH3C

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 31, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Speaking of, anyone know of a decent iphone holder I could mount on my apparatus? I am completely unable to duplicate what I do on the course with what I am doing on the range. I want to be able to record swings out playing without trying to prop an iphone up against something.
I've never tried it but something like this would probably work: https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Golf-Swing-Phone-Holder/dp/B07BMK5YH1

If you mainly use carts, I'd say an iPhone holder that mounts to the top of a tripod would probably work best, just quickly spread out the tripod legs before the shot.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey golf thread - I’m a casual player who hasn’t had time given kids and work and the lack of times to play the last few years. Was over at a friends and he had a hitting net and I thought huh, I could do that I have space in the garden.

4 days later I’ve got a net, mat, and garmin r10 set up and holy smokes is it fun. I’ve ‘played’ 72 holes in the last 4 days. Obviously it doesn’t replace actual course play but it’s great.

I do find the included software, Hole Town Hero isn’t super accurate on drivers/long clubs, but it comes with a stripped down license of e6 which I’m finding is more true to what I actually hit. Anyway, I’m hoping that just hitting more balls more often will help when I finally do get back on a course.

Question - for anyone who has a sim setup what mat do you use? I’m teeing of grass for drives but the mat that came with my net isn’t going last more than a month.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Huh, Finau goes back-to-back. Be right back, going outside to look for aerial pigs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Presto posted:

Huh, Finau goes back-to-back. Be right back, going outside to look for aerial pigs.

Most of the comments on the social media sites are LOL he won because all the best players are on LIV now.

Like, who exactly on LIV are they considering the best players?

I hate that that is the new narrative, oh they only won on the PGA because all the good people are on LIV.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lol didn’t Henrik Stenson win the LIV event last week? Real power player there.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah must be a weird feeling winning a LIV event. No doubt money is great but it can’t have the same sense of achievement. More like a bonus cheque.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

None of those guys are there for the "thrill" of competition.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

None of those guys are there for the "thrill" of competition.

It's this, yeah. Absolutely nobody being paid by this league gives a poo poo about the legitimacy or competition or trophies or anything. They're getting paid absurdly more money to play less golf and they're fine with it being blood money. Nothing more to it than that.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Every time I test drivers, I always seem to gravitate towards Callaways. I like how it sits on the grass square with the ball instead of having to turn it every time like TM's. They just look better at address to me, Go figure :) Picked up a 9 degree Mavrick today after my old RBZ developed a problem. I could turn it over on demand and was easily striping it down the middle. Hopefully our daily thunderstorm clears off about 4PM and I can walk 18 after work :D

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Before I take Amazon's word on it, does anyone have any rec's on cooling towels? Angling towards these:

https://www.amazon.com/YQXCC-Coolin...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Before I take Amazon's word on it, does anyone have any rec's on cooling towels? Angling towards these:

https://www.amazon.com/YQXCC-Coolin...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

I've always been partial to the frog toggs for a pure cooling towel.
https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Chilly-Cooling-Varsity/dp/B002NXRW62/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=frogg+toggs+cooling+towel&qid=1659449997&sr=8-5

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just have a cheap one I got from Home Depot during Black Friday. It works fine, I imagine they all work about the same.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Raise your hand if you forgot to cancel Arccos before the $155 subscription fee hit AND can't find the subscription confirmation email, and now have to wait for support to cancel it. gently caress.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Raise your hand if you canceled before the trial ended, got multiple confirmations of said cancelation, including being entirely blocked out of the app, but still got charged $155 by these idiots and now having to deal with support again to reverse the charge.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s some poo poo. As far as I can tell they haven’t charged me.

nerox
May 20, 2001

BCRock posted:

Raise your hand if you canceled before the trial ended, got multiple confirmations of said cancelation, including being entirely blocked out of the app, but still got charged $155 by these idiots and now having to deal with support again to reverse the charge.

I would dispute that with your credit card company asap. I know American Express has always backed me on poo poo like this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if that's a credit card it should be pretty easy to dispute and reverse. Gets a little trickier with debit cards sometimes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
What's the name of the charge on your card(s)? Should check mine.

Edit - Oh wow, found it. They charged an account that didn't even use it for one round.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm going to once again recommend Garmin for golf. Buy the cheapest Garmin watch, a single garmin CT10 for your putter, bingo, you've got your average distances within one month.