Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I haven't played the director's cut yet and i feel like some of the new toys would make that stupid pizza quest easier

jump ramps are seriously underrated imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ciaphas posted:

jump ramps are seriously underrated imo

Make BB Happy with your SICK TRICK SKILLZ!

(also negate all fall damage while clearing hostile terrain, opening up a ton of vehicle paths while also being useable on foot. Pair with the Cyberpunk bike to touch the clouds, you know, small things.)

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Finally got a PS5. Started my second play through with the directors cut last night and forgot how much I loved this game.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Been a while since I've played this but it's not possible (or pointless) to try and max star the few knots you go to before Port Knot City right? It's best to get that part done and get on the boat then go back to finishing those in the post game?

Also, I got a challenge to recover something next to the distribution center, and they provided a gun for it. Are these new with the DC and are they worthwhile doing?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know if the director's cut makes changes to the first area, but I'd consider it pointless. The first area doesn't give you significant items/upgrades for additional stars, while one of the first things in the second area is the exoskeleton that allows you to carry more. You'd burn yourself out maxing out the Wind Farm while doing it later on would go much faster (even without a tricky ziplines setup there).

Just make sure you find the Musician in the first area and do his initial delivery so you get a harmonica.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 1, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Director's Cut adds a new area to the first zone. There's a quest that starts there at the start of the game and ends there in the epilogue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Douchebag posted:

Been a while since I've played this but it's not possible (or pointless) to try and max star the few knots you go to before Port Knot City right? It's best to get that part done and get on the boat then go back to finishing those in the post game?

Also, I got a challenge to recover something next to the distribution center, and they provided a gun for it. Are these new with the DC and are they worthwhile doing?

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't know if the director's cut makes changes to the first area, but I'd consider it pointless. The first area doesn't give you significant items/upgrades for additional stars, while one of the first things in the second area is the exoskeleton that allows you to carry more. You'd burn yourself out maxing out the Wind Farm while doing it later on would go much faster (even without a tricky ziplines setup there).

Just make sure you find the Musician in the first area and do his initial delivery so you get a harmonica.

Replays have reminded me that the Wind Farm in particular is indeed surprisingly awkward. Which makes me even more amazed at how stubborn I was to grind it up before port knot in my first playthrough.

"This is the tutorial area, I built ziplines for my replay, 5 star is gonna be so fast this time-How did I lose 1/3 of my container durability outside my backpack cover in the literal 80 seconds between exiting truck at the top of the hill, getting on ziplines, and getting off them to deliver the boxes? Ah yes, freak heavy storms in high wind land. More dangerous to my boxes than snowstorms, apparently." Still S ranks, but very exasperated S ranks.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Been playing this for a couple of days now since it landed on Game Pass, I'm digging it a lot. Finished delivering the chiral artist to the junkyard guy and have been 50/50 on pursuing the story versus messing about, exploring while collecting cargo and paving roads.

One question on that: When I entered the middle region, the first two parts of the road leading out of the northern city were already built. I gathered loads of materials from MULE camps and elsewhere to pave the rest of them all the way down past the distribution center and beyond, but I'm a little confused as to how other players are contributing to that effort. Do I need to build the rest myself or is there a chance someone else will? Is it tied to story progression in some way?

I'm also wondering if the game pools players together based on location and/or time they start, so my 'shared world' (which probably still pulls online structures into it randomly, as I'm seeing ones with 100K+ likes) maybe has a decent amount of new players running around like me. Or maybe it doesn't work like that at all and it's just a random chaotic mess?

It does seem like I'm playing in a world shared with Steam/EGS players.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
My understanding is that the area the Auto Paver is in needs to be on the Chiral Network for other people's materials to be added.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Worst part of this game is having to sit through credits.

Twice.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Having fun playing this on gamepass. Got to the mountains area and now am in desperate need for a proper Zipline network. Should I be building in-between other people's Zipline that pop up, or should should I be building my own? The ziplines that pop up seem to be haphazardly placed so only some seem to connect while others are too far or obscured.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can only build so much of anything within a given area. Once you're rear end deep in the mountains and absolutely don't want to have to touch ground until you absolutely have to, you'll definitely be wanting to take advantage of what's there even if it's not always the most direct route, it could save you several hand-built ziplines. I think as you make connections you see more stuff too. At some point I went through people on my recently interacted list or whatever and "made bonds" with whoever had over a million likes since they evidently built useable stuff in high volume places.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I did make some links with the hope that more of their stuff would show, and am getting tons of likes for filling up the autopavers.

Should I be deleting lines that don't connect with my planed route, with the hope that something else spawns? How does structure placement on the map for other players work anyways? Do they respawn every time I log in etc? It's a really cool system, just wish there was more info on how it works.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha it's pretty mysterious to me too. I did once remove a zipline because it was like 5 feet from where I could use it and built my own. New ones showed up later in the region but it had been months between playing so I cant be sure if they were there or not before.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ughhhh posted:

I did make some links with the hope that more of their stuff would show, and am getting tons of likes for filling up the autopavers.

Should I be deleting lines that don't connect with my planed route, with the hope that something else spawns? How does structure placement on the map for other players work anyways? Do they respawn every time I log in etc? It's a really cool system, just wish there was more info on how it works.

Yes, trash stuff that doesn't work for you. You'll get a new spawn at some point or can build your own. It's annoying with ziplines in particular because they so frequently are built at the absolute maximum span and you will often find them just a few feet out of place to work with the rest of your network.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Anything not built by you doesn’t use chiral bandwidth (in your game) so if there is a zip line someone else built that I can connect to, I absolutely use it. Plus it’s less PCC’s I have to carry around.

Not a huge deal when you start getting a lot of stars with prepares and stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can still max out the central region pretty easily even with everyone at five stars.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Goons.. I messaged the OP to update this as I was thinking of buying it and playing it and wanted more tips/etc.

Anyone want to write a good write up and send it in to OP?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Goons.. I messaged the OP to update this as I was thinking of buying it and playing it and wanted more tips/etc.

Anyone want to write a good write up and send it in to OP?

These were my tips: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890706&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=129320&pagenumber=3#post507818023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Feel free to copy/rewrite (or just link to) whatever from https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Death_Stranding as well. I wrote most of that section, sometime before the Director's Cut was released, but I assume most of it is still solid.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just wasted my day off with two unskippable credits. Loved the game but I feel like I just sat through 3 hours of hideo kojima jacking off Infront of me and now feel really dirty and used.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Anyone who can't handle the credits sequence in this game is weak

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

By Kojima standards, this is really quite restrained. Phantom Pain has a credits sequence like every twenty minutes.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Anyone who can't handle the credits sequence in this game is weak

:hai:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can bitch at the credit sequence all you like, but the only thing it'll reply back is:

"I'll keep coming."

*wub*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

at least the song was really good :shobon:

darkroast
Apr 8, 2019

Ciaphas posted:

at least the song was really good :shobon:

The soundtrack fits the mood of the game so well, its incredible. Those moments like coming over the ridge and seeing Lake Knot the first time as the music comes in gave me chills. Love Low Roar, fit perfectly into my rainy days playlist with Helios and Hammock.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's not really that the soundtrack fits the game perfectly, it's that the game fits the soundtrack perfectly.

Kojima found a new book he liked and a new album he liked and that became Death Stranding.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Bones song that plays during the first walk to the incinerator set the tone better than maybe any game I've ever played

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I replayed this recently. Hearing the song on the last mission legitimately brings a tear to my eye still.

Kojima basically went 'I want to make a game for my favorite bands people never heard of' and nailed it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

It's not really that the soundtrack fits the game perfectly, it's that the game fits the soundtrack perfectly.

Kojima found a new book he liked and a new album he liked and that became Death Stranding.

sure is an unusual way to make a game, but credit where it's due it mostly worked

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I beat the game two or three weeks ago and while I guess I get people who were bothered by the ending I don’t know what you were expecting especially after 80 hours of hiking simulator with a AAA budget. I kind of appreciated that Kojima made you feel the weight of eternity a little bit instead of just zipping you right out and making Sam’s whole “sacrifice” not feel like one at all.

I beat the final Director’s Cut mission right afterwards and it felt like a perfect epilogue. In a world made of grass, rocks, and sometimes moss I got to stand in some actual drat flowers for once and overlook the point where I started the game. Gawjeous. No notes. Uninstalled, will never touch again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Soundtrack is pretty dang good.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

what's the book?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

dumby posted:

what's the book?

https://medium.com/@108/nawa-the-rope-by-kobo-abe-19db9afa6dd3

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks! I think I like the soundtrack better :)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this crazy game but oh my god I wish president skull man would stop phoning me up about some bullshit and just let me build roads.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sam, remember that your actions will impact others. Not only are you helping fellow porters with the roads you're rebuilding, you can also inspire the nation at large if you do some sick pop shove-its off of ramps with your floating carrier. 👍👍👍

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this crazy game but oh my god I wish president skull man would stop phoning me up about some bullshit and just let me build roads.

time for this again

https://twitter.com/matthewseiji/status/1202723026816528384?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Perfectly sums it up.