Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I really doubt that Neo-Nazis are going to turn a female superhero played by a Jewish actress into a meme like they tried to do with Taylor Swift.

How would "the show" become a dogwhistle? Like, tell me what you're envisioning.

They did before she offed herself in the most pathetic way possible.

Actually, that may make them like her more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They did before she offed herself in the most pathetic way possible.

Actually, that may make them like her more.

She really did gag to death after cranking her own son's hog, didn't she?

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't know the show was being co-opted like that but it definitely went overboard with the outdated twitter memes imo. Gags like taco salad bowls, kylie jenner pepsi commercial, child trafficking conspiracies... idk just feels like it was cowritten by a mid-wit chapo listener.

e: I did laugh at the big cum on mother's milk tho

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 28, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

pik_d posted:

She really did gag to death after cranking her own son's hog, didn't she?

He really could do anything, except be the son she wanted.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda wondering what would happen if a temp v person got blasted by SB's anti supe ray. Would it turn em into a regular person or just turn em into chili cause the generic toughness abilities are neutralized quick (I'd assume, since it's a temp effect).

Be loving wild if hitting a temp v subject with it ended up giving them permanent powers.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, not really.

The Army finishes off Black Noir after he kills Homelander, and the Air Force is delighted to kill the supers who were going to replace them. It's a running theme that superheroes don't know how to do military stuff just because they have powers. "The supes betrayed us and soldiers are the real heroes" is the narrative, but it's a hollow convenience.

Susan Rayner is in the middle of a "us liberals are the REAL troop humpers" campaign speech that gets ruined by the audio clip of her having degrading sex with Butcher.

There's also the end of Butcher's arc, with the speech to Hughie about "men are just boys" who get drunk on power without someone to keep them in check, and that being the implied reason behind the name of the team.

So I'd say the overall message is power corrupts no matter who wields it, unless they have someone to reign them in. Butcher keeping the supes in check, and Butcher being kept in check by first his brother, then his wife, then nobody, and finally Hughie. And then Hughie doing the same to Susan Rayner in the last scene after she thinks she's won.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Season 4 is The Boys and Homelander/Victoria offing Pro/Anti Supe Politicians and trying to blame the other.

Ryan gets too addicted to Vought Tiktok to be evil.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

No Wave posted:

Naming her literally Stormfront was weird and imo a very bad idea. It's one of the only places that (I assume) would be proud of the association and is just not something you want to touch like that. You're just asking for your show to become a dogwhistle no matter what its content is.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Darko posted:

Long story short, the showrunner didn't want to be subtle anymore and be super on the nose about some things because right wingers were co-opting characters in the wrong way and he didn't like it.

Love to turn my show into a bland Biden 2024 commercial cause some MAGA moron cosplays as Homelander.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Have no idea how anyone could watch this show and think the end message is "vote"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
[Watching a show where the government completely bends the knee to a megacorporation that makes the world worse] Hell yeah Biden 2024

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the AOC equivalent makes heads explode on a whim

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Love to turn my show into a bland Biden 2024 commercial cause some MAGA moron cosplays as Homelander.

Jesus, some goons are so completely, irredeemably bad at watching TV.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can't believe guy with the username ANOTHER SCORCHER posted another lovely take somewhere.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmai7geQwI

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I feel like there's no greater narrative arc to season 3, since everything gets jumbled by the mess of the ending. Vaguely something about the personal journey of Butcher and Hughie overcoming their toxic masculinity to support/protect their loved ones?

But then it gets ruined because Homelander wins: he's still alive, he controls Vought, he has an ally in the soon-to-be-VP, and Ryan is with him.

I think it's an entertaining show but it doesn't have a strong moral message.

AOC is bad and explodes people's heads and tries to get Starlight to make a corrupt deal to... get retweeted on Voughtagram? To pass education reform?

Soldier Boy is bad because he's killing people with his chest laser and is racist, but we finally stop him when... he's about to kill the dude who's killed far more people with his eye lasers and is even more racist?

Butcher is bad because he's willing to burn everything around him to accomplish his goal... of killing a narcissistic madman who is just one meltdown from enacting his plan to personally end civilization in North America?

But it's hella entertaining.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's a push-pull for Hughie's soul between Butcher and Annie/MM about how far to go to stop Homelander, but it's a mess because Annie and MM mostly agree with Butcher about Homelander and the only real point of contention comes in moments of crisis where Annie, in particular, feels like they need to save bystanders rather than take their shot.

I think it would be clearer if Annie lays out a coherent plan, but she is too afraid for Hughie to follow through on getting a conspiracy of supes together to stomp his rear end (first plan best plan). Without that, she spends the rest of the season realizing she can't make the system stop him. That personal journey is not a proper balancing point to Butcher.

They could have reached the point they're at at the end of the season much earlier. Annie could have immediately turned down the co-captain thing and started calling Homelander's bluff very early in the season. Her plan going forward is to win a campaign for hearts and minds that would array an unbeatable set of forces against him (the public, the government, the supes that will be pressed into aligning against him) because he's full of poo poo about being willing to literally scorch the earth.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yes, MM, notably in agreement with Butcher re: Homelander, which is why he's willing to work with Soldier Boy and definitely does not try to suicide by supe every time he sees him.

e: I'm sorry but wtf was that with MM. What did he think was going to do with Soldier Boy?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The fact MM never actually saw Soldier Boy throw the car that killed his family and his weird, ineffective ways of going after him kept making me think there was going to be a twist of Soldier Boy not actually being the one who did it, but that never materialized.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I said mostly. I don't know where MM would land if it hadn't been specifically Soldier Boy. If they'd found like a certain type of bomb in Russia that would level a city block but definitely kill Homelander, I think MM would still be against using it, but maybe not.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
White liberals view Black men as objects of pity, trapped in racist systems and unable to effectively get out of them, so MM’s arc is a jumbled mess of involuntarily beating up a meaningless White racist while failing to actually confront White supremacist power structures. He literally just puts Soldier Boy back to sleep lol.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wait, you're telling me that mentally ill people can act irrationally!?!?!

Especially when faced with the direct cause of their mental illness!?!?!?!?

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
What's funny is the pacifist Black man who enters violent rages when triggered by mental illness and loves both Obama and Huey P. Newton is as racist as Ennis' original take on MM.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
It wasn’t even a blind rage, though. He talked his way in with starfire and stopped midway through to try the gas he prepped ahead of time that didn’t work.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah he wasn't flipping out of control or anything and seemed to be pretty aware of what Soldier Boy was capable of. Punching the poo poo out of Todd was morally correct though and he shouldn't feel any shame for that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Morrow posted:

I feel like there's no greater narrative arc to season 3, since everything gets jumbled by the mess of the ending. Vaguely something about the personal journey of Butcher and Hughie overcoming their toxic masculinity to support/protect their loved ones?

But then it gets ruined because Homelander wins: he's still alive, he controls Vought, he has an ally in the soon-to-be-VP, and Ryan is with him.

I think it's an entertaining show but it doesn't have a strong moral message.

AOC is bad and explodes people's heads and tries to get Starlight to make a corrupt deal to... get retweeted on Voughtagram? To pass education reform?

Soldier Boy is bad because he's killing people with his chest laser and is racist, but we finally stop him when... he's about to kill the dude who's killed far more people with his eye lasers and is even more racist?

Butcher is bad because he's willing to burn everything around him to accomplish his goal... of killing a narcissistic madman who is just one meltdown from enacting his plan to personally end civilization in North America?

But it's hella entertaining.

The decision to finally stop Soldier Boy comes when he's about to murder a child.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

yook posted:

It wasn’t even a blind rage, though. He talked his way in with starfire and stopped midway through to try the gas he prepped ahead of time that didn’t work.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah he wasn't flipping out of control or anything and seemed to be pretty aware of what Soldier Boy was capable of. Punching the poo poo out of Todd was morally correct though and he shouldn't feel any shame for that.

Right, his attack on Todd was presented as a manifestation of his mental instability. He comes to terms with that and talks to his daughter, making him able to peacefully take down Soldier Boy.

The point is that it is morally acceptable to fight incel losers but actually attacking institutional White supremacy is wrong. Consider the different reactions when Antifa fight Proud Boys (Media: Yay!) versus when they smash the windows of a Bank of America (Media: Boo!).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Season 3 was actually a treatise about how you can’t defeat the alt-right/Trump with “moderate”/Never Trump republicans

Timothy was a metaphor for the Deep State

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

"ANOTHER SCORCHER" posted:

The point is that it is morally acceptable to fight incel losers but actually attacking institutional White supremacy is wrong. Consider the different reactions when Antifa fight Proud Boys (Media: Yay!) versus when they smash the windows of a Bank of America (Media: Boo!).

I'm confused. Are you saying this is the show's take?

The point of the last episode seemed to be the Butcher/Maeve coming around to the argument that colluding with Soldier Boy is ultimately not worth it (which was MM's position all along), because he is prepared to nuke a child who stood up to him for a second.

Putting Soldier Boy to sleep with novichok vs. punching him to death is not about moderating dissent, it's literally the only way they can stop him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

when Antifa fight Proud Boys (Media: Yay!)
I've gone from wondering if you watch the show to wondering if you watch anything at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554169460415676419

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554166490030637062

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

valorie curry was great in the tick

hey speaking of, bring back the tick

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I never understood the sudden outrage at the politics in Season 3 because I thought the political messages were already extremely obvious and on-the-nose from the beginning lol.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Witeldram posted:

I never understood the sudden outrage at the politics in Season 3 because I thought the political messages were already extremely obvious and on-the-nose from the beginning lol.

Denial is powerful

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Witeldram posted:

IMO the message has consistently been "killing homelander is worth any cost" and they finally introduced a cost worth considering. So, yeah, I understand how a lot of posters aren't happy with it but I'm gonna hard disagree with the outrage. I think the show does a good job creating believable characters with understandable decisions despite the fact that it's about superhuman allegories.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Witeldram posted:

Anhedonic cspam freaks talk themselves out of enjoying yet another piece of popular media

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO the message has consistently been "killing homelander is worth any cost" and they finally introduced a cost worth considering.

Once you start considering it, does Homelander start looking even more like Trump in that he's just the inevitable outcome of a system that needs to be burned down?

Obviously they need to stop him, but Vaught also made monsters like Stormfront, Neumann, and Stan Edgar. Stormfront was arguably a worse threat because she was a Nazi, whereas Homelander wants to build fascism to glorify himself instead of enact eugenics. If they kill Homelander, Vaught will make another monster, and if they burn Vaught to the ground somehow, another Vaught will eventually take its place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
VFX artists react to effects in the Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmai7geQwI

Including the head of VFXs for the show.

I feel like Edgers will, well, not be on the Boys side, but certainly wants to take down Homelander, and probably knows something that no one else knows about him. He never showed any fear around Homelander, and it couldn't just be being head of the company, so there has to be something physical that he knows. Maybe if you mix coke and pepsi in the same glass and get him to drink it he'll melt or something.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 2, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly he could just be a sociopath/psychopath. People exist who don't get bothered by anything in real life. Don't see why it'd be different on a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

twistedmentat posted:

He never showed any fear around Homelander, and it couldn't just be being head of the company, so there has to be something physical that he knows.

Why not? He's the head of pretty much the most powerful company on Earth. The fact that Homelander is still beholden to capitalism despite his powers fits the show.