Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Aight I took a small diversion and read Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, and Tender is the Flesh.

Starting on Let the Right One In now.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I just finished The Last House On Needless Street and what a rollercoaster of emotions it is. You think it is one thing, but it is another whole different story. I caught on that Olivia wasn't real pretty early on and thought she was just an alter of Lauren but had no idea that they were ALL Ted's alters he created from years of abuse and that he was a victim, not a horrible serial killer

The book raises interesting questions about integrating alters of people with D.I.D vs letting them live as a person with many other persons inside them

Highly recommended if you want a good mystery-horror and a story that lingers long after you finish it.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Probably an odd hill to die on particularly as it's from the last page, but I think both Hill House and We Have Always Lived In The Castle have perfectly good and fine plotting for what they're trying to achieve.

Both novels are about sheltered, detached and (in very different ways) fragile souls with a vivid internal life, embarking on a destructive collision course with the outside world, so naturally a lot of the storytelling and tension is confined to the workings of the protagonists' heads; it's exquisite character-led goodness. Love them both.

You could do a hugely entertaining 'gifted child does gothic murders' reading marathon of WHALITC followed by The Wasp Factory (which has probably aged badly in a couple of ways but which I remember really blew me away as a kid) and a watch of Park Chan-Wook's Stoker.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
New book by Blake Butler is out, it's called Aannex. This one seems more sci-fi and also probably very experimental, but everything by Butler is at least horror-adjacent, so maybe check it out

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

elpaganoescapa posted:

New book by Blake Butler is out, it's called Aannex. This one seems more sci-fi and also probably very experimental, but everything by Butler is at least horror-adjacent, so maybe check it out

I just finished reading 300 Million last week so I don't think my brain is sufficiently prepared for more of his particular style of uh, madness, and this sounds absolutely insane again.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

grobbo posted:

Probably an odd hill to die on particularly as it's from the last page, but I think both Hill House and We Have Always Lived In The Castle have perfectly good and fine plotting for what they're trying to achieve.

Both novels are about sheltered, detached and (in very different ways) fragile souls with a vivid internal life, embarking on a destructive collision course with the outside world, so naturally a lot of the storytelling and tension is confined to the workings of the protagonists' heads; it's exquisite character-led goodness. Love them both.

Yeah, I agree with this. I can see how Hill House might be a disappointment for people looking for an explicitly supernatural haunted-house story (I would argue that what we see qualifies, just in a subtle way, but I can see a reasonable reader decide otherwise), but the character work is superb and powerful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

elpaganoescapa posted:

EVERYONE GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Had less time to read due to moving so I'm almost done with Dust. I gotta say it kinda loses a lot of it's charm when it hits the more Lovecraftian elements. Cowboys gunfights with monsters- cool, black cube ascending to heaven as Cthulhu reaches down- kinda lame. I dunno.

Started the Necroscope five audio book again on my drive to and from work. Forgot about the necropedophilia.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did anyone read Horrotstor as an ebook? It's really faint on my kobo, to the point where it's difficult to read. Changing the font helped a but but not much, and I checked a couple other books and their all fine so it seems like a publisher choice. I suspect it has something to do with all the pictures but I'm not sure what

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone read Horrotstor as an ebook? It's really faint on my kobo, to the point where it's difficult to read. Changing the font helped a but but not much, and I checked a couple other books and their all fine so it seems like a publisher choice. I suspect it has something to do with all the pictures but I'm not sure what

I tried reading it on my kindle paperwhite and had the same issue. I ended up reading it on my tablet with the FBReader app, it handled the pictures a lot better.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

I tried it in multiple electronic formats (the NYPL app one and a Kindle, among others), and they sucked so bad I quit after less than 15 pages. Meant to give it another pass with dead tree, but got distracted so here we are and I still haven’t given it a full day in court.

Shame cause it looks interesting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I changed the font and cranked rhe weight up and it's better, but what a weird choice

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I think I read it on the kindle app on an iPad before I had a kindle and don’t remember any issues

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's one of the few books I had to buy physical because it was so irritating on my Kindle. The audiobook is pretty well done, as well. He seems like a decent fella so I didn't mind going a bit overboard.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned in this thread yet - I just finished an anthology from earlier this year called Dark Stars that has new short stories from John Langan, Stephen Graham Jones, Gemma Files, and some other notables plus a number of authors I hadn’t heard of. A couple were a little weak but for the most part I really enjoyed it.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I've been reading through Alone with the Horrors, the Ramsey Campbell collection, and man, what a great writer. I just love that subtle style, the constant and increasing disturbing hints, the final reveal. He writes the same story again and again so they may start to blur together, but I think that's a strength for him. One of the all-time masters, for sure.
What of his novels would you guys recommend?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

elpaganoescapa posted:

I've been reading through Alone with the Horrors, the Ramsey Campbell collection, and man, what a great writer. I just love that subtle style, the constant and increasing disturbing hints, the final reveal. He writes the same story again and again so they may start to blur together, but I think that's a strength for him. One of the all-time masters, for sure.

love Campbell! Ancient Images, Midnight Sun and The Nameless are my favourite novels of his

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

elpaganoescapa posted:

I really like Campbell. He's under-discussed even if he's an acknowledged master.

There's a lot of books though of varying style and quality. I'll second everything alf_pogs recommended. Midnight Sun in particular, although it's not the most consistently great, when it hits it hits HARD.

I always recommend his introduction to The Face That Must Die, “At the Back of My Mind: A Guided Tour”, as one of the greatest pieces of auto-biographical horror ever.

The Grin Of The Dark is probably the start of his punning phase, where the typical late period Campbell protagonist is constantly barraged by mishearing, misinterpretations, and maladjusted language that obscures their impending doom. Anyway, it's a miserable book but it very effectively builds and builds and builds the horror, until it culminates in something very unsettling. (I felt like my brain was being rewired reading it).

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 1, 2022

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also, Campbell's childhood sketchbooks are really fun. macabre in the way that angry teen biro scratchings are:

http://jkpotter.com/the-art-of-ramsey-campbell/

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll start with those.
Also, yeah, I love those old drawings of his. I also used to draw silly-scary stuff at a similar age so they always make me smile

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Shaitan the Fallen

Yeah I'm still reading Necroscope 5.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xiahou Dun posted:

No worries. It was 30% wanting to be helpful and 70% an excuse to draw some draculas.

The Klinger one I linked is usually regarded as the best for full glory of giant sprawling annotations that go on cool derails about Victorian technology and etiquette and stuff. It doesn't quite reach my preferred level where the annotations occasionally crowd out the actual story, but it goes into quite some detail and Leslie's a good writer and giant nerd.

I have received Dracula for my birthday! :toot:

Also, an equally scary book and a spooky snake. :D

So far I'm digging the context-setting introduction for Dracula. It's not as in-depth and crunchy as I might want, but it's entertaining nonetheless and full of cool vampire-related photos, and it's getting me excited to read the main course.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O poo poo!

First, happy birthday, obviously.

Second, if you give even a tiny poo poo about little fiddly things, you’re gonna love Wages of Destruction. Guessing from you wanting an annotated Dracula that you’ll be stoked because uh spoilers the Nazis were some bad eggs and they did a lot of dumb things. It’s one of the top recommendations from the Military History thread, great book.

Finally, glad you’re liking the Dracula. It’s a really under rated book, somehow, where a lot of people don’t even try to read it. Which is a shame cause it goes down real smooth once you get in the mood.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finished Let the Right One In and then checked out Let the Old Dreams Die (super weak).

I just finished Some of Your Blood by Theodore Sturgeon and wow it sucked. It's an epistolary novella that hints at some grand reveal but it ends up going over like a fart in church.

Not sure what to read now, but I've got a lot of options.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Untrustable posted:

Finished Let the Right One In and then checked out Let the Old Dreams Die (super weak).

I just finished Some of Your Blood by Theodore Sturgeon and wow it sucked. It's an epistolary novella that hints at some grand reveal but it ends up going over like a fart in church.

Not sure what to read now, but I've got a lot of options.

Yeah some of your blood was a weird one. I always dig super niche horror because it feels like stumbling into a forbidden book, but that one really fell flat. I don't even remember it well, just that I didn't enjoy it much

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I really like Campbell. He's under-discussed even if he's an acknowledged master.

There's a lot of books though of varying style and quality. I'll second everything alf_pogs recommended. Midnight Sun in particular, although it's not the most consistently great, when it hits it hits HARD.

I always recommend his introduction to The Face That Must Die, “At the Back of My Mind: A Guided Tour”, as one of the greatest pieces of auto-biographical horror ever.

The Grin Of The Dark is probably the start of his punning phase, where the typical late period Campbell protagonist is constantly barraged by mishearing, misinterpretations, and maladjusted language that obscures their impending doom. Anyway, it's a miserable book but it very effectively builds and builds and builds the horror, until it culminates in something very unsettling. (I felt like my brain was being rewired reading it).

It looks like between my library's physical collection, they have The Searching Dead, The Kind Folk, The Overnight, and Nazareth Hill. Any opinion on any of those?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked? or maybe arent that well known? (i’ve read Ligotti’s collected works several times over to save you some time recommending anything by him)

recently read In That Endlessness, Our End by Gemma Files and honestly had some of the best short stories ive read in a long time, though there were a few that did nothing for me. i plan on hitting Experimental Film once i finish Between Two Fires, which was an excellent rec btw thread.

also you guys make me want to reread The Butcher’s Table everytime i get caught up on this thread.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Have you read any Brian Evenson? Song for the Unraveling of the World is probably his best collection, but it's all solid.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked?

Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

It looks like between my library's physical collection, they have The Searching Dead, The Kind Folk, The Overnight, and Nazareth Hill. Any opinion on any of those?

Of these I've only read The Overnight (I've just started reading The Searching Dead). The Overnight is decent, it's pretty deliberately tongue-in-cheek being based on Campbell's own experience of being forced into working at Borders at an advanced age because writing wasn't paying the bills. But it has its moments. A very slow burn if you can't stand the tedium of workplace disputes and pettiness.

The Searching Dead is him returning to his Lovecraftian roots, which people have periodically begged him to do. Nazareth Hill is from around his 80s and 90s peak so might be very good.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 2, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked? or maybe arent that well known? (i’ve read Ligotti’s collected works several times over to save you some time recommending anything by him)

recently read In That Endlessness, Our End by Gemma Files and honestly had some of the best short stories ive read in a long time, though there were a few that did nothing for me. i plan on hitting Experimental Film once i finish Between Two Fires, which was an excellent rec btw thread.

also you guys make me want to reread The Butcher’s Table everytime i get caught up on this thread.

Christopher Slatsky’s short story collections, especially the title story from The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I really like Slatsky’s take on horror and I think he's one of the best recent authors, but I feel like a lot of his stories can be a little samey, and rely on the abstract reality-is-disintegrating ending a lot. Still, really solid writer

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That collection was one of my favorite reads of last year. I want to re-read it soon. Slatsky's Corpse.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just finished HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, which i quite enjoyed. terrific final sequence of events even if getting there takes a bit of stephen king-ing

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Chipping through The Magpie Coffin in print and Necroscope 5 as an audio book.

Get the gently caress out of here, Harry. I need more vampire warfare.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Traxis posted:

Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana

never heard of this and people keep describing it as hellish in the reviews, so def grabbing it, thank you

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Have you read any Brian Evenson? Song for the Unraveling of the World is probably his best collection, but it's all solid.

I started it long ago and got distracted, I’ll def return to it, thx

Oxxidation posted:

Christopher Slatsky’s short story collections, especially the title story from The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature

Already read this but I dont remember it much so I’ll definitely reread it, i remember liking it

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

never heard of this and people keep describing it as hellish in the reviews, so def grabbing it, thank you

Triana wrote the only book ive ever given up on because it was too loving much. It's good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Get the gently caress out of here, Harry. I need more vampire warfare.

You're moving on to the Vampire World trilogy, then?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Not quite that bad yet.

It will also physically hurt me to skip books in a series even if not directly connected. I had to track down a copy of The Pig by Edward Lee before I could read Header 2 because the events of The Pig lead to H2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked? or maybe arent that well known?

Assume that you've read "The Road"? "Cold Moon over Babylon" by Michael McDowell meets the criteria too I think. Just a non-stop misery-fest for the characters...