Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I suggest a quick peek at the rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think it's possible to be called Gareth Williams and not be born in Wales.

I don't think it's possible to be born in Wales and not be called either Gareth or Williams.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jedit posted:

I don't think it's possible to be born in Wales and not be called either Gareth or Williams.

I was born in wales, and am neither but thanks anyway I guess

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wasn't trying to start some anti-Welsh hour of hate, I just dug in because Shbodb wasn't explaining what's up and I was curious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

alexandriao posted:

I was born in wales, and am neither but thanks anyway I guess

My own family is from Wales, although we came to England in the 15th century as a protest against the annexation of Oswestry, and there's hardly a Gareth among us. (I nearly got lumbered with Dafydd, mind you.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
A friend of mine at school in NE England was called Gareth Jones. English family, but he couldn't resist the call of his name and he now lives in Wales.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Has there been any new news about the reboot of the series?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

Has there been any new news about the reboot of the series?

There's another shot for it next year but don't be too hopeful

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1544359198007476225

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
He's under a fair bit of makeup but I was amused to realize that Bruce Boxleitner is playing the President of the Planetary Union on the Orville.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Small White Dragon posted:

He's under a fair bit of makeup but I was amused to realize that Bruce Boxleitner is playing the President of the Planetary Union on the Orville.

Yeah it was nice seeing him, even under all the makeup he felt very charismatic and presidential.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Small White Dragon posted:

He’s playing him as Lincoln though, more than as Sheridan (or at least that’s how I read that character)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
David Warner, who played Aldous Gaijic in the episode Grail, has died.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tony Dow, the former child actor who went into directing and helmed five episodes of B5, has passed away aged 77.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Oh man, I forgot that Tracy Scoggins was in Highlander too

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

My first rewatch in about 15 years and I have only just spotted that Garibaldi has more hair in the War Without End flash forwards than he does in the ‘present’.

Anyway, the pace is still terrific for a show with 20+ episode seasons and the Remastered version looks good save for the odd composite scene.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's another shot for it next year but don't be too hopeful

Considering Discovery is taking every WB property out back and shooting it at the moment it’s probably not looking too good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Considering Discovery is taking every WB property out back and shooting it at the moment it’s probably not looking too good.

This about sums up the situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRjGpKfhA8

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was just wondering what was going on with this reboot, and considering WB already hates the Babylon 5 IP as is, and has tried to bury it for years now, I will not be surprised. I dont really want this reboot to happen anyways because lets be honest, the chances it will be terrible is around 95%.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I said come in! posted:

I was just wondering what was going on with this reboot, and considering WB already hates the Babylon 5 IP as is, and has tried to bury it for years now, I will not be surprised. I dont really want this reboot to happen anyways because lets be honest, the chances it will be terrible is around 95%.

That said, the new management hasn't been shy about cancelling poo poo left and right, including two 90% finished films. You'd think they'd have already taken the reboot out back and shot it if there wasn't at least a little interest in getting to the pilot stage at least.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Rewatching the show and it bugs me in Season 3 that Londo thought Refa poisoned Adera and did not suspect Morden at all, especially being shortly after Londo told Morden off. Let alone then coming back to Morden and use him for revenge.

I just think Londo is smarter than that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jng2058 posted:

That said, the new management hasn't been shy about cancelling poo poo left and right, including two 90% finished films. You'd think they'd have already taken the reboot out back and shot it if there wasn't at least a little interest in getting to the pilot stage at least.

I would assume literally anything that is costing above $X right now is being scrutinized, then taken out back and shot to get the most tax deduction they can.

The B5 reboot has probably cost the equivalent of a cup of coffee relative to the movies they binned or the residuals they owe and they haven't got that far down the spreadsheet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They picked up $5.5bn in debt and paid $2bn for the privilege. It's likely that this will go down as the stupidest buyout in history.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Jedit posted:

They picked up $5.5bn in debt and paid $2bn for the privilege. It's likely that this will go down as the stupidest buyout in history.

AT&T would like a word.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

I'm no stock expert, so I don't know what it means other than "not good," but their market cap went down like $20 billion, as well.

https://twitter.com/OneRadChee/status/1561928445046755329?t=Jqz5nP9SenlGDYedckkFHw&s=19

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How credible do people think Clark’s ability to take control of the government was, given the info we had? Granted they said he had put his people in key positions. And of course he had help from his outside friends. But something about it just struck me as not credible when rewatching it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

How credible do people think Clark’s ability to take control of the government was, given the info we had? Granted they said he had put his people in key positions. And of course he had help from his outside friends. But something about it just struck me as not credible when rewatching it.

I never felt like we had enough insight into EarthGov in the show to really say one way or another, but I have no particular reason to doubt it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

I never felt like we had enough insight into EarthGov in the show to really say one way or another, but I have no particular reason to doubt it.

It's more or less what happened in Russia.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

jng2058 posted:

It could be argued that delaying the pilot by a year is exactly what is saving B5 from this fate; the nogo during the height of the uncertainty was probably a blessing - there’s now a clean slate for it to get picked up if they decide to do so.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

theblackw0lf posted:

Earth is already not in a great place before Clark takes the presidency. It's bad enough that Santiago knew that in the event of his death, Clark would try to install a replacement CO of Babylon 5 who would be "some hard-nosed jarhead", and apparently took steps to counter that move by ensuring John Sheridan - who fit the bill on paper - would be top of the list.

Now, did Santiago think Clark would go for a coup and seize total power? Not necessarily. But it speaks to the volatility of EarthGov that Santiago felt he had to take precautions against his own vice president.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theblackw0lf posted:

It’s based on the 1993 Russian coup but I couldn’t tell you how much astute viewers picked up on it back then.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Maybe it was mentioned early on in the series, but why did Santiago ever pick Clark for his VP?

Was it a "well, I have to put someone from another party on my ticket to get enough votes" or does EarthGov function the way the US VP used to at the founding at the country, where the "runner up" got to be VP?

And considering some of Clark's "key people" and allies include the Psi-Corp and the Shadows, I don't doubt that some of his political maneuvering included forcing people to do stuff against their will, or just outright killing them in ways it looked like an accident or suicide so he could put someone else in their place.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I didn't get the impression that Clarke and Santiago were members of different parties so much as different factions within their party. But (like JMS) I'm American so the two-party system is kind of ingrained in my assumptions. It could have been a coalition of two or more parties.

Santiago was running against Marie Crane when he was elected.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe it was mentioned early on in the series, but why did Santiago ever pick Clark for his VP?

Was it a "well, I have to put someone from another party on my ticket to get enough votes" or does EarthGov function the way the US VP used to at the founding at the country, where the "runner up" got to be VP?

Probably factional politics. It's faintly suggested that Clark wasn't Santiago's VP in the 2253 election, and his being endorsed by the Psi Corps when Santiago wasn't definitely implies that something was moving behind the scenes which we never get to see.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Generally you choose a vice president that can cover for something the presidential candidate lacks, so maybe Santiago was ameliorating earth-first types. Clarke was already popular in his own right getting the illegal endorsement of the psicorp.

One of the original ideas for the US was for the VP to be the person who got the second most votes in the election, but that was discarded because it's not great to have a VP who is directly the enemy of the sitting president.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'd note that even in Season One, the Earth Government still aren't good guys - Clark's people didn't come out of nowhere. In season one, we've got the government wanting to make an example of striking workers, crushing rebels on Mars, and the only real mention of Santiago's policies are that he wants to 'focus on the needs of Earth'.

We sort of assume in hindsight that Santiago was a good guy, but the difference between him and Clark might be closer to 'regular Republican vs Trump Republican' than anything else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1564800979937112064

Some more guaranteed B5 on the way. Guessing a novel or comics.

E:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1564802437055033344

Audio drama thing? idk.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 31, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So is the new TV series dead and he's just making a comic or audiobook or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The TV series has no connection to this and is not dead, he just posted about that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

So is the new TV series dead and he's just making a comic or audiobook or something?

It's not officially dead, as it was held over by the CW for the next pilot season, but given Nexstar's intent to focus on syndicated and reality programming, I imagine it's already got one foot in the grave and the other is hovering over it.