Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Taear posted:

That part annoys me because they've gone back and can clearly leave the ship. So why would they die?
Idk? I alway assumed maybe there was like a range to the stasis leak so they could leave the ship when it was docked. That would only have affected lister so its pretty hosed up if you think about it that way. Maybe there was some talk of staying to try and save Kochanski? I don't remember clearly.

I think the real reason is a mix between the timetravel being presented as linear, this stuff happened and can t be altered, we know Kochanski died on red dwarf. The real point was for lister to meet a version of himself that got exactly what he wanted and see that he's willing to die with kochanski in the past than continue on as the last human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
They tell you the rules of it in the episode. They're ON titan, in a hotel.
So they can leave the ship. There's legit no reason they'd die. It makes absolutely no sense.

He does say he'd stay and "die with her" but they've had plenty of weird timeline poo poo. They at no point ever say "why not just remain on titan and not go back to the ship"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Stasis leak range extends to titan but if the ship leaves it'll go out of range and he'll fade away or something. Thats my personal headcannon. They don't explain or adress it in the episode at all, the leak is basically just a door to the past. Once again i'm half remembering but is there even a time limit given for the door? I was complaining about the time device in series 7 but they started early with the convienently forgotten about time travel solution to being lost in space.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Stasis leak range extends to titan but if the ship leaves it'll go out of range and he'll fade away or something. Thats my personal headcannon. They don't explain or adress it in the episode at all, the leak is basically just a door to the past. Once again i'm half remembering but is there even a time limit given for the door? I was complaining about the time device in series 7 but they started early with the convienently forgotten about time travel solution to being lost in space.

I think they follow it up in the books, but in the episode no they don't do anything like that. It's a weird bit because I don't even know why they'd assume he'd be on the ship to die, feels like cut content or etc although I've seen most deleted scenes for episodes and don't remember it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 4, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It'll always annoy me that I can never tick off Red Dwarf as truly fully watched, because unless I get ungodly drunk and make a regrettable decision, I'm just never going to watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes of Back To Earth.

---

In non RD chat, I started watching 'This is MY House' s1 again last night, as I thought it would be up the alley of someone I've started seeing.. and it is! The show struggling to fill up an hour and having a few too many rounds definitely hasn't faded though, so was delighted to see that s2 is down to 30 minutes. I know some people here were fans, is it working better at this run? I also take it the video call at the end is now replaced with 'in person' stuff?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It amuses me how het up people get over C.P. Grogan is the one true Konchanski ra ra ra, when if you add up all of her appearances throughout the show, it'd barely fill an ad break.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dead Goon posted:

It amuses me how het up people get over C.P. Grogan is the one true Konchanski ra ra ra, when if you add up all of her appearances throughout the show, it'd barely fill an ad break.

Anthony Hopkins was in Silence of the Lambs for 20 minutes and they gave him an Oscar. It's what you do when you're there that counts! (I've not watched Red Dwarf)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

It's clear they wanted to go a really specific way with her, make her posher and not scottish (although she mentions being brought up in Glasgow)
I don't really wanna say Claire Grogan is the "one true Kochanski" but she definitely comes across like a person who would properly date Lister whereas Chloe Annett doesn't. And the SHEER VOLUME of stuff about how sexy they found Chloe Annett is creepy as gently caress like I said before

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Anthony Hopkins was in Silence of the Lambs for 20 minutes and they gave him an Oscar. It's what you do when you're there that counts! (I've not watched Red Dwarf)

It really is - Beatrice Straight picked one up for 5 minutes and 2 seconds! And Judy Dench for about 8 minutes.

Oscar Facts.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just saw a facebook ad for a Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle UK tour. I really hope theres some backlash, all the comments were positive. I think he's less famous here and most people are just going for Rock.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Annabel Pee posted:

Just saw a facebook ad for a Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle UK tour. I really hope theres some backlash, all the comments were positive. I think he's less famous here and most people are just going for Rock.

I wish I could share your optimism - this is terf island after all.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
They are just playing in Liverpool and London I think, Im sure both have a massive LGBT community and they've underestimated the backlash there. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A bunch of Mumsnet posters suddenly getting really into Dave Chappelle's standup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Imagine how hype we’d be if it was 1999 :(

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's a chuckle brother on Masterchef on my TV.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's a chuckle brother on Masterchef on my TV.

Turn on your TV.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1559831714582740993?s=20&t=euxK3mgWKIM1ZdoA6ORDCg

Audiobook read by Garth

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Solid yes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK so not British, but who among us wasn't watching this on BBC2 back in the day. Netflix is bringing back Heartbreak High - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15054962/

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also, not a programme, but I just saw Operation Mincemeat and really wish it was. Two hours was at least thirty minutes too long, but split two or three ways it would have been great Sunday night theatre.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK so not British, but who among us wasn't watching this on BBC2 back in the day. Netflix is bringing back Heartbreak High - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15054962/

I watched a few seasons and remember all the moral panics that show had when it dared to be shown around 6:30pm when it started. Teens dealing with angst, relationships, sex, growing up and making bad choices - Helped pave the way for shows like Hollyoaks to be made though.

After a couple episodes there was a special talk show proceeding the show due to the controversy and a few parents were unhappy there had been rapping in the last couple of episodes because now every school in the country would have evey kid rapping. A very pitiful "wont someone please think of the children" moment.

I did wish my town had a pool hall to hang around in.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
brookside was on at 8 and it had patio murders, incest and most shocking of all jimmy corkhill

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
did anybody watch The Tuckers? There are two series on iPlayer

I watched a few episodes last night and it's an odd one because it has many of the ingredients of a good sitcom but it falls short and is a bit poo poo :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
for one thing it shouldn't have been hard to find actors who can do a convincing valleys accent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Everyone's harping on about how Red Rose is the new Black Mirror in how it really gets technology. Am I right thinking I should avoid it?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
What happened with black mirror anyway? I think Charlie Brooker and the producer he always worked with left the production company they'd set up that was part of endemol.. or something.

Is it just dead now?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ben Soosneb posted:

What happened with black mirror anyway? I think Charlie Brooker and the producer he always worked with left the production company they'd set up that was part of endemol.. or something.

Is it just dead now?

The new season is being cast, Brooker is still involved, everyone will say the new series is worse than previous series but give completely different episode ratings, one tech conglomerate will invent the evil thing.

Looks like Aaron Paul, Selma Hayek, a lot of other talent, more budget over slightly more episodes than 3.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How did I miss that news that it was out of rights hell?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a series of spoof childrens tv that first appeared on Youtube 11 years ago (I wasn't aware of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ

C4 have commissioned a series of it. I'm not sure I can see it translating from internet cult to to mainstream TV. Too many people will give it five seconds and call it shite.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a series of spoof childrens tv that first appeared on Youtube 11 years ago (I wasn't aware of it)

C4 have commissioned a series of it. I'm not sure I can see it translating from internet cult to to mainstream TV. Too many people will give it five seconds and call it shite.

This loving thing. My housemate showed me it with glee and now I have 'no! green is not a creative colour' perpetually stuck in my head

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think late night C4 is the prefect place for that, I'm sure some people thought Dark Place was legitimate 70s schlock too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Late night channel 4 getting super weird/cult/shlock again is a good thing imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is probably the bit of UK telly that I'm most excited about this year. Genuinely can't wait to see if they pull it off.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

C4 announced a bunch of stuff for their 40th anniversary including a Prince Andrew musical and a documentary about men whose massive penises are ruining their lives.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Excellent.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bring back Network 7 for it or don't bother.

:colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I read somewhere that all of Eurotrash is getting released soon too, I can’t remember if it’s disc or streaming but fun news regardless.

Goddamn you Romeo Cleaners for ruining teenage me’s expectations on far too many occasions.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B7QDV8CP
Enjoy. It's £69.99 which feels like a very deliberate nice price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

Thanks for this, never seen this before.
Reminds me of the SCP 'Laugh is Fun' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zqm-4jEfUA)