Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

both soundtracks own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

both soundtracks own

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

The past tracks are constructed entirely using the Genesis/Sega CD's onboard sound hardware, so it makes sense that they'd be the same between both versions.

Does anyone know if there's a reason why they did this?

Also is there any reason the US localisation team couldn't either make their past tracks with the sound chip, or do their own CD-based past tracks and do a minor code rewrite to point to the new tracks?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there a reason why CD has two separate soundtracks in the first place as opposed to just using the Japanese one in all regions from the start like pretty much every other game in the series did?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also is there any reason the US localisation team couldn't either make their past tracks with the sound chip, or do their own CD-based past tracks and do a minor code rewrite to point to the new tracks?

Probably due to disc space limitations. The US soundtrack was composed on a really tight schedule, I think no more than a month or two before release. The game code was probably finalized at that point, so all they'd really be able to do is replace the CD audio tracks. As for why they had a different soundtrack at all, it was because SoJ didn't think Americans would like the original soundtrack, which is definitely on-brand for them.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 17, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s probably true, I always just assumed it’s the result of the usual SoA and SoJ feud

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The JPN CD soundtrack is probably one of the best OSTs of all time. The US version is solid and has some great tracks.

Wacky Workbench US blows the JPN out of the water though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Probably due to disc space limitations. The US soundtrack was composed on a really tight schedule, I think no more than a month or two before release. The game code was probably finalized at that point, so all they'd really be able to do is replace the CD audio tracks. As for why they had a different soundtrack at all, it was because SoJ didn't think Americans would like the original soundtrack, which is definitely on-brand for them.

Makes sense, it’s just always been weird to me since literally no other Sonic game in history (as far as I’m aware) has had to have its OST changed between regions

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This probably isn't the reason, but it's nicely on-theme that the past tracks are built using the past hardware. Makes them sound more primitive and subdued, like you've turned up early to a party.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic CD in general is blessed. A game in Sonic's golden age getting not one but two banger soundtracks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't enjoy US Wacky Workbench because the intro sounds like an INXS song

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I like both soundtracks and have played through the game with both several times and have no real preference. :colbert:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The music in the Sonic franchise is so good one of the games had two awesome soundtracks just for the hell of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, it’s just always been weird to me since literally no other Sonic game in history (as far as I’m aware) has had to have its OST changed between regions

Sonic 3D Blast has a different soundtrack on Saturn, but that's not strictly a regional change.

Sega of Europe also replaced the soundtrack to the Saturn Shinobi game for no particular reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1550510998716502017?t=gpj5eIh2PHpHUDzhlolr-g&s=19

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Congrats sonic on the new legs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1550577102885228544?t=F05O_XaFUcmF2PnwcCH1tg&s=19

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the alt texts are pretty great too.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh I missed this - https://higround.co/pages/sonic-lookbook Next week you're gonna be able to buy Sonic/Dreamcast themed keyboards and goddamn those designs go hard.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There has been more promotion for Origins in July than Frontiers. This can’t still be coming out in the fall, right?

…right? :ohdear:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

december 20th is technically still fall

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

There has been more promotion for Origins in July than Frontiers. This can’t still be coming out in the fall, right?

…right? :ohdear:

is that surprising? origins just came out a month ago

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

any news on that origins patch?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Good news everyone

https://gamejolt.com/games/sonictripletrouble16bit/322794

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hell yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Played through Turquoise Hill and drat this is pretty quality!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh cool, they finished it, I'll have to give it a go.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

heck yeah Sunset Park

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

FYI this runs on Steam Deck, make sure you have Proton GE installed. Gonna play through it on the Deck when I get a chance.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is loving based

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Played up to the last full zone and oh boy is the ost, which is just certifiably good, doing a lot of heavy lifting for a really obnoxious final level.

Rest of the game's been great but I didn't like Titanic Monarch 2's Wily Room gimick there and its worse here with the lack of rings and ways for rings to get away from you when you get hit.

And the forced scrolling bit with the shielded egg robo can just gently caress off.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 4, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that one was a real pain and kind of reminded me of how lives systems suck. Challenging section followed by a section with a whole bunch of gotchas. Ugh.

That said, lots of little bits of love and attention to detail - what a great fan-game. I cleared as Sonic and Tails and unlocked Knuckles, who gets his own unique intro & story bits, I also seemed to start off in a Knuckles only section of the original first level, and I think I encountered what appeared to be a knuckles only section while playing as Sonic and Tails. Free Play also makes it look like there's two other characters to unlock, which I'm going to guess might be Nack and Metal Sonic?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Fang is unlocked by getting 6 chaos emeralds and beating the final boss. Plays quite differently but still fun!

No idea about character number 5 yet, but I'm hoping after playing through story mode as Knuckles that might unlock them

Also, the options screen lets you choose Nack or Fang as a name :3

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's okay, Sega know we're hungry for Frontiers news and have us covered:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1555265621259997184?t=tvA92UhXqY4o18ahsDg4aA&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skeletome posted:

Fang is unlocked by getting 6 chaos emeralds and beating the final boss. Plays quite differently but still fun!

No idea about character number 5 yet, but I'm hoping after playing through story mode as Knuckles that might unlock them

Also, the options screen lets you choose Nack or Fang as a name :3

How does Fang/Nack play out of curiosity?

Also a patch is out for Origins that fixes a bunch of bugs and adds some new codes to Sonic 3:

https://asia.sega.com/SonicOrigins/en/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 5, 2022

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And here are the new cheat codes.

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1555407089438269440

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's okay, Sega know we're hungry for Frontiers news and have us covered:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1555265621259997184?t=tvA92UhXqY4o18ahsDg4aA&s=19

https://twitter.com/gladybot/status/1552600567717023748?s=21&t=fH3fJ6v2OnBcc_P9nYKS5w

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I hope there’s a snow board level in Frontiers. That’d be really cool

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was a super sonic fly in regular levels code in Mania? How did I never hear about that? I only knew the stop the super sonic song loop one. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, does the disable Super music code also work for Sonic 1 & 2?

Edit: Nope, Sonic 3 exclusive it seems

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 6, 2022