Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

that reminds me, how's your mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, because a carl is lower than a jarl

so you're saying I should get promoted to Jarl the Carl

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

so you're saying I should get promoted to Jarl the Carl

all jarls are carls, but very few carls are jarls

e: according to skyrim not all jarls have to be carls, they can be women or lizards or cats i guess

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Guardian posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/02/jarlsberg-cheese-may-help-stave-off-osteoporosis-small-study-suggests
Eating Jarlsberg cheese may help to prevent bone thinning and stave off osteoporosis, research suggests.

Jarlsberg is a mild cheese made from cow’s milk, with regular holes that mean it is classified as a Swiss-type cheese, although it originates from Norway. It is rich in vitamin K2, which has previously been found to improve bone health.

The results of a study published in the journal BMJ Nutrition Prevention & Health suggest a daily portion could be beneficial to bone growth and regeneration.

Participants in the study were given a daily portion of either Jarlsberg or camembert, which is poor in vitamin K2. Signs of bone growth increased with Jarlsberg consumption and fell slightly in the camembert group, the authors said.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

ChubbyChecker posted:

Not good since she fell in the sinkhole :(

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Gubbinal Girl posted:

Not good since she fell in the sinkhole :(

must have been one hell of a wide sinkhole

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

increases bone health? so does ur mom lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

they make that around here

not a fan, but it is very popular

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
sorry, the yospos tolerance policy does not cover lactose

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Roosevelt posted:

must have been one hell of a wide sinkhole

oh drat their mother fell into your mother?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

she's oclay.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cursed

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m the bottle of hand cream

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

What the duck?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bluemillion posted:

What the duck?

its a current (harmless i think) player exploit that uses webm to resize the player container mid playback so it appears to vanish. i also got spooked by it the other night

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

back in the day teenage necco found a web page that would rapidly reframe as some stadium electronic blasted, giving the affect that the window was rattling to the music

my dad saw it and told me i downloaded a virus while i rolled my eyes

anyways grats to yospos for achieving the technical literacy of my dad in 2002

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

some incredible anachronisms on display

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

anyways grats to yospos for achieving the technical literacy of my dad in 2002

your dad in 2002 knew more than you do now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sorry you had to find out this way but your dad is a terminator, sent back in time to protect the family PC

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

your meltdown will be televised streamed foreverially accessible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moo Cowabunga posted:

dry rubs might be a good thing for bbq but not for sitting at a computer

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moo Cowabunga posted:

no YOU moisturise the gently caress up, dad!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wait that doesn't sound right

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

i can't remember if i was ever aware of it before, but regardless i find it p. wild that the external disk drive for the c64 cost as much as the actual computer and the one for the c128 was actually more expensive than the system for which it was intended

meanwhile here i was with a hand-me-down commodore ibm compatible from my dad that had two (count 'em) internal disk drives plus a hard drive

in retrospect that pc was in fact pretty neat because it supported hga and i would play simcity in high res. well until my dad got me a colour monitor that did not support that resolution anyway :rip:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

i can't remember if i was ever aware of it before, but regardless i find it p. wild that the external disk drive for the c64 cost as much as the actual computer and the one for the c128 was actually more expensive than the system for which it was intended

meanwhile here i was with a hand-me-down commodore ibm compatible from my dad that had two (count 'em) internal disk drives plus a hard drive

in retrospect that pc was in fact pretty neat because it supported hga and i would play simcity in high res. well until my dad got me a colour monitor that did not support that resolution anyway :rip:

The 1541 is literally a microcomputer. Too bad it has only 2 kB of RAM.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

yeah i recall reading that, but i never really understood how important that was and/or what benefits it would provide other than allowing you to use diskettes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

yeah i recall reading that, but i never really understood how important that was and/or what benefits it would provide other than allowing you to use diskettes

no i meant it adds expence

but it's just that the DOS runs on the actual drive (it has 16 kB of ROM for that), which isn't a bad idea as such

e: basically you're lowering the price of the computre and transferring that cost to diskette drive buyers, compared to most (if not all) other comparable systems.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 5, 2022

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
it's to make the computer as cheap as possible so you can sell one squillion of them and then go out of buisness by having the worst management in the history of computer hardware.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

no i meant it adds expence

but it's just that the DOS runs on the actual drive (it has 16 kB of ROM for that), which isn't a bad idea as such

e: basically you're lowering the price of the computre and transferring that cost to diskette drive buyers, compared to most (if not all) other comparable systems.
right, i got that the drive being a microcomputer would mean a major cost increase, i just didn't grasp the reason for it. making the actual computer cheaper and i suppose offering tape drives as an alternative (which i guess would be considerably less costly than the disk drives?) makes sense enough

ultravoices posted:

it's to make the computer as cheap as possible so you can sell one squillion of them and then go out of buisness by having the worst management in the history of computer hardware.
i don't know, there's been some extraordinarily bad management wrt computer hardware. at least commodore made several successful home computers, which is more than can be said for some

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

right, i got that the drive being a microcomputer would mean a major cost increase, i just didn't grasp the reason for it. making the actual computer cheaper and i suppose offering tape drives as an alternative (which i guess would be considerably less costly than the disk drives?) makes sense enough

the tape drive (here) cost about 1/5 to 1/4 of the price of the computer/diskette drive in the early days. and then there were cartridges, of course. a lot of the early and a lot of the late Commodore 64 games came on cartridge.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the disc drives were not super prevalent early on in the c64's life. most software was tape-and-cart based.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm honestly amazed commodore ever managed to release a single product given that the entire company consisted of sleazy conmen and coke-head middle managers

...it explains exactly why the c128 was such on over-complicated mess though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

i'm honestly amazed commodore ever managed to release a single product given that the entire company consisted of sleazy conmen and coke-head middle managers

...it explains exactly why the c128 was such on over-complicated mess though

The Commodore 128 Diesel would've been a great microcomputer for small business if not for the fact that software houses were focusing on MS/PC-DOS and its also-rans instead of CP/M by then. Or possibly home use (no need for the D then) if the actual 128 portion were just a bit more enticing games-wise. Better graphics, better sound, more more memory, and a not-one-button controller.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 5, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

considering a modern multi-device USB-C charger has a microcontroller soc in it hundreds of times more powerful than every computer involved in any given apollo space program mission the idea of "a whole microcomputer running the disk drive" is kind of a distressing retro-echo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the yellow bit that's supposed to stop Lego dudes from entering the subway system for nefarious purposes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the yellow bit that's supposed to stop Lego dudes from entering the subway system for nefarious purposes.

blocksferatu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

CU L8R NYCLORDS

https://i.imgur.com/u5WFYH7.mp4