Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

quite separately if hbag believes in chiros theyre hosed but a lot of the basis for the popularity of that bullshit in america is american medical care costin too mucb so peeps turn to quacks instead, which is not a problem in nhs-land

at best that's only half true. a lot of the draw for chiropractors is that physical discomfort is being caused by things a doctor just can't fix (eg sitting in front of a computer every night until 6am), but the patient being unable or unwilling to address the underlying cause turns to alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, whole different scam medicine system in east asia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a “good” chiro will charge you money to crack your back and maybe accidentally give you a stroke, a “bad” one will claim that all sorts of bizarre things are caused by misalignment and subluxation and charge you lots of money forever

Just don’t

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my thinking too, is it a stereotype ive picked up or doesn't china go for a quack cure as much as any other place?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean my entire gene disorder is "sometimes your bones pop out of their sockets" i think i know when my poo poo's subluxated boss

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

my thinking too, is it a stereotype ive picked up or doesn't china go for a quack cure as much as any other place?

this is a human condition, not a regional one.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i can subluxate my left shoulder at will, in fact

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it’s a dislocation

only chiropractor talk calls it subluxation

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

i mean my entire gene disorder is "sometimes your bones pop out of their sockets" i think i know when my poo poo's subluxated boss

I have the same condition and subluxations are nonsense. dislocations, sprains; yes. I went to a chiro for a bit and it was very short term helpful but what fixed the problem was dealing with sitting all day and actually working out and it magically went away

chiros are bullshit and the bad ones will kill you

you should start working out now so the eds has a nice long runway as you get older. doesn’t have to be aiming for crazy weight but get strong and stretch a lot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, my lols factor will depend upon how much hbag believes in chiropracty

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

i imagine thats because the locals go to acupuncturists

i haven’t been but an american coworker of mine goes to them sometimes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the existence of subluxation implies the existence of domluxation and boy i do not wanna see that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

the existence of subluxation implies the existence of domluxation and boy i do not wanna see that

lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i do not believe in chiropractors whatsoever lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

imo probably the most common, day to day pervasive traditional chinese medicine thing is the theory of food balances. different foods are supposedly "hot" or "cool" and your supposed to kind of balance them out in your diet to stay healthy. for the most part people arent paying too much attention to it if theyre healthy. not planning their diet around it. but if you get sick or a pimple on your face or something, people will say you ate too much "hot" food and strongly recommend you eat more "cool" foods to recover faster or w/e. hot and cool are not physical temperatures but effects that the foods are supposed to have on your qi. or often you'll see people only eating a few litchis because those are a notorious hot food. stuff like that

in practice it sort of boils down to eating stuff that's fairly healthy anyway so i see it as largely harmless to good. like if you eat tons of deep fried crap and candy bars all the time someone here might tell you its bad because those things have the wrong qi balance, which isnt really the correct reasoning, but it approximates the actual underlying good idea anyway

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

i do not believe in chiropractors whatsoever lol

sgtm

using "subluxation" as a word instead of "dislocation" is highly but not perfectly correlated w believin in em, so thats why eschaton was all like that

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

eschaton posted:

“subluxation” isn’t a thing, chiropractors are quacks

:wrong:

hbag's using the word right, chiropractors are quacks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sgtm

using "subluxation" as a word instead of "dislocation" is highly but not perfectly correlated w believin in em, so thats why eschaton was all like that

Using words like that is called "being English" and it's a real, terrifying malady.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when I did IT consulting I had a few chiropractor offices as clients

most of them were fine, nothing unusual

However, there was this guy:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ak/pr/former-fairbanks-chiropractor-sentenced-17-years-prison-soliciting-murder-witness-and

quote:

Mannino, a former chiropractor who practiced for several years in Fairbanks, was indicted by a federal grand jury in July 2015 for soliciting several murders while he was in custody at the Fairbanks Correctional Center on an earlier federal prosecution. Mannino had been indicted by another federal grand jury in August 2013 for a number of felony charges related to the unlawful possession and transfer of prohibited weapons, including a machinegun and silencers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chiros and other quacks are still big business in the uk but more because nhs resources are so stretched that your gp is probably too busy to give you the time or attention you want/need

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

eschaton posted:

“subluxation” isn’t a thing, chiropractors are quacks

i don't actually have an opinion to add here, i just wanted to jump on the "quote eschaton" train :buddy:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idk eschaton says many hurtful things about my beloved ti99-4a

the worst part is that all of them are true

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
also there’s a type of actual doctor that is not really. if you ever see a doc with the title D.O. instead of MD be very wary. Doctors of Osteopathy are a bullshit offshoot of an old discredited methodology that the AMA decided to make a deal with a long time ago and give them official titles but it’s based on an early 20th century quack and his practices. they’ve pivoted to claiming they take a holistic look at medicine (which is something real docs could be better about) but on the whole they come from crappier schools and a worse curriculum.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

a lot of the doctors around northeast ohio when I was growing up were Oestopathic doctors, which was one of the many many quack professions that proliferated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, though they got their rear end in line and eventually became normal doctors who just fukkin love to crack your back at the start of any interaction: professional or social

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I thought subluxation was just a partial dislocation? every so often some poor kid is reported as having subluxed his shoulder bench pressing in the NFL combine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

it’s a dislocation

only chiropractor talk calls it subluxation

subluxation sounds cooler tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
do's are just valid ordinary docs but from shittier med schools nowadays. md's were often total quacks in the days you were talkin about (they still are oftentimes - dr oz lol)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dr oz should be disbarred

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Asleep Style posted:

I thought subluxation was just a partial dislocation? every so often some poor kid is reported as having subluxed his shoulder bench pressing in the NFL combine

it is, thats why i was saying it
im not full-on popping my loving arms out lmao

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Enderzero posted:

I have the same condition and subluxations are nonsense. dislocations, sprains; yes. I went to a chiro for a bit and it was very short term helpful but what fixed the problem was dealing with sitting all day and actually working out and it magically went away

big if true

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

do's are just valid ordinary docs but from shittier med schools nowadays. md's were often total quacks in the days you were talkin about (they still are oftentimes - dr oz lol)

yeah that’s pretty much what I was saying, I just left out the part about how md’s sucked slightly less back then. like I said, just be wary of them, there’s probably some good ones buttt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Enderzero posted:

what fixed the problem was dealing with sitting all day and actually working out and it magically went away

can i get this in pill form?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hbag posted:

my shoulders do that too

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i tried to read "starting strength" and the introduction was this actually fairly inspiring rant starting with the phrase "physical strength is the most important thing in life." talked about how all the pleasures of life are heightened by having a body that is strong enough to enjoy them, and how you can pass right through lots of life's problems simply by having a body that can accomplish things without getting tired or injured as easily. i don't know much about anatomy so the rest of the book was basically indecipherable to me but that introduction does stick with me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

i tried to read "starting strength" and the introduction was this actually fairly inspiring rant starting with the phrase "physical strength is the most important thing in life." talked about how all the pleasures of life are heightened by having a body that is strong enough to enjoy them, and how you can pass right through lots of life's problems simply by having a body that can accomplish things without getting tired or injured as easily. i don't know much about anatomy so the rest of the book was basically indecipherable to me but that introduction does stick with me

Mark Rippetoe is cool.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

hbag posted:

Why not?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont forget that elon musk's grandpa (? iirc) basically started and defined the chiropractic grift in Canada, many years ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Truman Peyote posted:

i read that book and it was ok. the thesis is: lift weight

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Good Jira action this morning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cls: listening to detroit techno and finally getting ableton set up after wiping the new computer i bought to run ableton

feels good