Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

CoolCab posted:

i literally avoid logo tees, yes

that's fine, because I'm assuming you don't wear them because they're tacky and usually cheap Gildan poo poo

but numlosh everyone wearing clothes is a walking billboard

I don't know if wearing a logo tee and a 400$ fast-fashion shirt are any different in terms of being stooges to capitalism, seems to me you'd have to be either naked a lot or handmake your own clothes personally to escape the shame of uh, wearing anything made by a company intending to make a profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbh the LTTStore merch is kind of a bad example to use for this conversation because the logos tend to be pretty subdued and they are genuinely doing interesting design work. Same for the GN merch.

Compare this to sites like GiantBomb and Nextlander which plaster a big "GIANTBOMB.COM" right up front.

Without doing that how will they get hilarious stories for podcasts about how they got in trouble in airports for wearing a shirt that said Giant Bomb on it. That skateboard deck GB did one time was pretty cool though I'm betting about 0% of them were actually used as skateboards.

I own an esports team jersey, I'm way too far gone down the not giving a poo poo hole to care about having a Youtuber logo on a shirt, though I probably still wouldn't buy any of their merch because half the time the cost of shipping this stuff to the UK is more than half what the drat shirt cost.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

petition to make anthony the lttstore.com model instead of linus

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Same but to have more photos of Snowball on the GN Store page.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HKR posted:

stopped being embarrassed by things you like and you'll be a lot happier in life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Actually if I was going to have one thing I'd yell at Youtuber shirts about its GN's current obsession with foil shirts, no-one wants to blind someone with the light reflecting off their gamer shirt that's probably going to flake off within 2 years.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

forest spirit posted:

that's fine, because I'm assuming you don't wear them because they're tacky and usually cheap Gildan poo poo

but numlosh everyone wearing clothes is a walking billboard

I don't know if wearing a logo tee and a 400$ fast-fashion shirt are any different in terms of being stooges to capitalism, seems to me you'd have to be either naked a lot or handmake your own clothes personally to escape the shame of uh, wearing anything made by a company intending to make a profit

I don’t think this is an accurate portrayal of what I was trying to get across lol

But I am naked right now, so point to you I guess.

My most warn shirts are plain white ones that my wife and daughter tie-died(spelling?) for me. That or Brooke’s brothers button downs for work, but I don’t buy any that have the stupid sheep (or any) logo on them even though I love them.

e: spelling

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

njsykora posted:

Actually if I was going to have one thing I'd yell at Youtuber shirts about its GN's current obsession with foil shirts, no-one wants to blind someone with the light reflecting off their gamer shirt that's probably going to flake off within 2 years.

It's dumb but they also probably sell really well. People love collectable trash right now for whatever reason.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
People have always loved and will always love collectable trash.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CoolCab posted:

250 bucks is an insane price for a backpack and demonstrates the fact this business model is kind of stupid. maybe artisan screwdrivers, people pay a lot for tools, but i could get an an okay to good backpack for literally 10% of that price.

250 bucks for a piece of quality luggage that will last you decades is reasonable and I honestly cannot fathom the mind of an individual who is putting not only, say, a grand's worth of laptop in a cheap bag but a grand's worth of laptop that is your livelihood on the move into a $30 rucksack from TJ Maxx.

The shipping fees and taxes are ridiculous though. That being said, I dropped $360 to have it shipped to me where I live, AMA. I may have the brainworms. :shrug:

e: not like you can't pick off the logo with a decently sharp box cutter anyway.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 5, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Level 1 Thief posted:

People have always loved and will always love collectable trash.

Ahh, the Funko Pop Paradigm.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Charles Leclerc posted:

e: not like you can't pick off the logo with a decently sharp box cutter anyway.

You can also invest that money into a bag by a proven maker, and not have to take a box cutter to it in the process

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

You can also invest that money into a bag by a proven maker, and not have to take a box cutter to it in the process

But do they have a pocket for my $100 screwdriver?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Soul Glo posted:

True, that's assuming I care about having an LTT logo on my bag. I'm still, after taxes and shipping, £100 short of a Tumi equivalent which hasn't been designed by the same kind of dork that feels compelled to carry every potential eventuality with them everywhere they go.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have a general youtube question, I hope this is cool to post!

I watch a shitload of Youtube. The problem is (and correct me if this is a rare issue) but the volume on the videos varies a LOT.

Is there some way to make it so that quiet youtube videos are boosted and loud youtube videos are made more quiet?

Sorry for the weird tangential question. It's kind of ruining my life.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
1. That is a rare issue, at least for me. Maybe you're browsing some very different topics on youtube? I dunno. The only time I find myself adjusting the volume of youtube relative to other things is sometimes when I'm playing a quiet game that can't get louder while listening to a loud podcast.
2. Never buy a keyboard that doesn't have a volume roller. If it doesn't have a volume roller, it goes straight in the trashcan.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Charles Leclerc posted:

250 bucks for a piece of quality luggage that will last you decades is reasonable and I honestly cannot fathom the mind of an individual who is putting not only, say, a grand's worth of laptop in a cheap bag but a grand's worth of laptop that is your livelihood on the move into a $30 rucksack from TJ Maxx.

The shipping fees and taxes are ridiculous though. That being said, I dropped $360 to have it shipped to me where I live, AMA. I may have the brainworms. :shrug:

Please at least use a seam ripper.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I carry my work Laptop in a Sprouts branded cloth grocery bag.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

K8.0 posted:

1. That is a rare issue, at least for me. Maybe you're browsing some very different topics on youtube? I dunno. The only time I find myself adjusting the volume of youtube relative to other things is sometimes when I'm playing a quiet game that can't get louder while listening to a loud podcast.
2. Never buy a keyboard that doesn't have a volume roller. If it doesn't have a volume roller, it goes straight in the trashcan.

Yeah. I use large floorstanding speakers as my primary 2.0 audio source, and I think it's related to that. They require a fair bit of power, and therefore don't react well to low volume sources. This might make the issue niche, unfortunately though it's really bad in my case.

One of my two keyboards does have a volume knob, but that's a kludgy fix because, for example, if I'm playing a game while listening to youtube or music in the background (to your point), only one source wins in that fight and the other is going to be too quiet or too loud. Of course you could adjust the volume of the game, but then you would be doing that constantly as you got auto directed to new videos over time.

What would be ideal is some app that messes with the audio to make it all the same general volume, but that's probably not a thing unfortunately...

e: And for the record I generally agree with you re: a keyboard needing a volume wheel, but I have a Filco Majestouch brown as one of my keyboards and for some reason its just so good. I'm biased though. Had it for probably a decade at this point. I also frequently use a keyboard from Steel Series with a volume knob, and it has those magnetic actuated keys so you can adjust the key feel on an individual basis. That keyboard is really cool but sometimes you gotta go with the Filco.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 5, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I carry my Macbook in a Playstation bag from 1998. It has stiff sides so it doesn't get crushed and has a nice net pouch inside for all my bullshit as well. Making a nice bag is a pretty solved problem unless you need a shitload of incredibly specific pockets.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

c355n4 posted:

Please at least use a seam ripper.

You will trash material trying to remove embroidery, either leave it in place or colour it in with a sharpie if you insist on not having the logo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

What would be ideal is some app that messes with the audio to make it all the same general volume, but that's probably not a thing unfortunately...

That would be called normalization, or loudness or volume normalization. There's one Chrome extension that has 4 stars, not sure if there's another way to do it.

edit: YouTube will normalize down but not up automatically.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FilthyImp posted:

I carry my work Laptop in a Sprouts branded cloth grocery bag.

I won't assume your situation, but I buy my work machines out of pocket less tax relief, so rightly or wrongly I'm precious about them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

That would be called normalization, or loudness or volume normalization. There's one Chrome extension that has 4 stars, not sure if there's another way to do it.

edit: YouTube will normalize down but not up automatically.

This one presumably?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-normalizer/ihlalbalpneokgcdiafhkjpnbekhlnmc?hl=en

I'll give it a try thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That will just normalize the volume within a video, not normalize all videos to a single volume level. It may be useful for podcasts with poorly mixed audio or something, but I don't think it will help with your specific issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve vs Newegg again, this time over their GPU benchmark site that shows the 3060 and 3080 giving equal performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywx09SVETE

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 5, 2022

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is me, but it's a 15+ year old jansport backpack and it was probably less than $30 new. The reason is that the backpack is mine, but the laptop(s) are purchased by my company for work. Probably can't get them to buy me the LTT backpack though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Factor Mystic posted:

This is me, but it's a 15+ year old jansport backpack and it was probably less than $30 new. The reason is that the backpack is mine, but the laptop(s) are purchased by my company for work. Probably can't get them to buy me the LTT backpack though.

lol my former employer gave me a lovely Dell laptop with a 5600rpm 2.5 boot drive in TYOOL 2014 and the IT department got pissy about how beat up it was when my laptop carry bag was one of their freebie canvas tote bags. give me a piece of poo poo and i'm not going to waste my gear on your trash?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

same, but it's the SA grenade logo

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Enhancer for YouTube has a toggleable volume booster, and you can configure how much Oomph it adds.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My wife bought me some LTT shirts and they're great quality, the designs are nice and not a single person has ever recognized the LTT logo. Also, who the gently caress cares if people know I'm a nerd?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

HKR posted:

stopped being embarrassed by things you like and you'll be a lot happier in life.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ask me about my giant bomb hoodies and gamers nexus coasters

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HKR posted:

You can't make me. What if someone found out I... posted on SA???

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you want a piece of quality luggage, don't buy merch items, buy actually well-regarded products that stand on their own merits, instead. Some Youtuber's drop shipping store isn't going to have the best items.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

When it comes to bags i trust lingus and whoever is taking advantage of his name more than osprey or tom bihn

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There are tons of well established backpack brands, why would you ever trust some Youtuber merch over Eastpak or Vaude.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HKR posted:

I'm not embarrassed, though? I'm sure there's plenty of things that I like that someone else might find embarrassing, but I don't wear that on a tshirt either.

I just don't see the appeal of advertising my like of something so blatantly, since I have absolutely no problem talking about my interests with people.

CoolCab posted:

what if someone recognizes it and wants to talk about it. i'm 35 now the days of me wearing a branded dragonball z shirt to make friends are long behind me. well, outside.
What about being open and just talking to people about your interests, instead?

Talking to people about what makes them tick is the best way of finding new acquaintances, and some of them end up being friends for life.
I can't see how a branded tshirt can do that.

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

But I’ll never understand using both your money and one of your only outlets of self-expression to advertise someone else’s corporation

Nothing is free. You are the product
Eeh, I don't think that's entirely fair - people's self-expression is their choice, and I'm absolutely not gonna criticize anyone for looking a certain way.

forest spirit posted:

t-shirt is a billboard, some people understand the symbol and some don't. being a billboard is a form of self expression

having a rare symbol 99% of the time means people have no reaction or someone points to your shirt and then gives you a thumbs up or something.

I am curious, I guess you just avoid logo T's or something
I can sort of see the appeal of if there was something that was a very oblique reference to something obscure, but that's not how merch works.
It used to be that you could have the number 42 and it'd be an in-joke between like-minded folks, but nowadays everyone thinks that 42 is the joke, as if they've missed the absurdist comedy of the entire radio series/books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What? No one thinks 42 is funny intrinsically now lol

If Douglas Adams popularity has grown, acting snide and precious about the #42 nerd symbol is pretty funny considering