Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can someone talk a bit more about the language use? It looks like they’re doing the usual “everyone speaks English but we pretend it’s Language X” thing, but people keep bringing up the subtitling and I want to know exactly how annoyed I should prepare to be.

They speak English but their suppose to be speaking Commanche but sometimes there is specific Commanche words that they use also There is french in the film as well that's not subtitled

I didn't find it annoying. Its fine , it would have been crazy if they had the whole film in Commanche with English subtitles.

Still can't get over that my sister is super stoked to see Prey and was the first one to tell me about it , lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can someone talk a bit more about the language use? It looks like they’re doing the usual “everyone speaks English but we pretend it’s Language X” thing, but people keep bringing up the subtitling and I want to know exactly how annoyed I should prepare to be.

You're looking at the Natives perspective so any colonizers just aren't translated.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There is a Comanche version available on Hulu

quote:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Darko posted:

You're looking at the Natives perspective so any colonizers just aren't translated.

O? That’s the problem?

Ideally I’d have period-accurate pre-Colombian exchange Native American languages with subs throughout, but I’m a weirdo so this is still better than I usually get.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched Prey. Wasn't my favorite Predator movie but I thought it was the best since Predator 2. Solid 3 out of 5 for me. Amber Midthunder rocks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My rankings for Predator

Predator 1

Prey

Predator 2

All the rest

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

O? That’s the problem?

Ideally I’d have period-accurate pre-Colombian exchange Native American languages with subs throughout, but I’m a weirdo so this is still better than I usually get.

It's set post-Columbus, there are French trappers/fur traders/voyageurs

I thought it had been shot in both English and Comanche so I'm curious to see how "dubbed" the Comanche dub is

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

It's set post-Columbus, there are French trappers/fur traders/voyageurs

I thought it had been shot in both English and Comanche so I'm curious to see how "dubbed" the Comanche dub is

Well I'll report back in like 9 hours if you want since I'll probably be keeping detailed notes.

Once I found out about the Comanche dub I got very excited.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Prey was great and the flying guillotine style bear trap to the face right next to the dude getting squeezed through the metal net was especially brutal. wonder if they had to tone down some of the gore though, surprisingly little blood in some scenes

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

They've got every Predator film on Disney + in the UK except the only other one I've not seen which is the Shane Black one. I know it's not highly regarded but I still kind of want to see it before Prey. I hate it when they do that, Netflix did it with the Purge series. Had all of them except one in the middle. I assume it's a tactic. People just go "gently caress it" and rent the missing one.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Looks like H20 is free on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNQ08TnWh8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I seriously can't get over the moment in Freddy's Dead when they flashback to his childhood and there's a bunch of schoolchildren mockingly chanting "~SON OF A HUNDRED MANIACS~! ~SON OF A HUNDRED MANIACS~!" at Kid Freddy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffStLyZ0FEw&t=182s
This is the horror thread and not the comedy thread but it's such a hilarious punctuation on the stupid tasteless origin story they introduced in Dream Warriors for him. There's a lot of moments that fall flat, but so many goofy idiotic charming moments (including them doing the title drop as the last stupid line).

Also gotta watch Predator 2 (always meant to but I'd heard a lot of different up n down things about it) and Prey ASAP.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Totally forgot about the random Alice Cooper cameo as Freddy's dad.

Oh sorry, I meant Freddy's foster dad. Unless his name was Alice Hundredmaniacs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I seriously can't get over the moment in Freddy's Dead when they flashback to his childhood and there's a bunch of schoolchildren mockingly chanting "~SON OF A HUNDRED MANIACS~! ~SON OF A HUNDRED MANIACS~!" at Kid Freddy.
This is the horror thread and not the comedy thread but it's such a hilarious punctuation on the stupid tasteless origin story they introduced in Dream Warriors for him. There's a lot of moments that fall flat, but so many goofy idiotic charming moments (including them doing the title drop as the last stupid line).

Also gotta watch Predator 2 (always meant to but I'd heard a lot of different up n down things about it) and Prey ASAP.

Ahem

Fuckin’ voodoo magic, man!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a sequel hook in Prey btw at the very end she gives her chief the same gun that the Predator's give Danny Glover at the end

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll gladly take stupid and tasteless if it gets us the immortal phrase "the bastard son of a hundred maniacs."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

There's a sequel hook in Prey btw at the very end she gives her chief the same gun that the Predator's give Danny Glover at the end

I was psyched on that detail, that's the sort of continuity hook I can get behind.

also any prompt to get people to watch Predator 2 is cool with me. great movie, you have dudes slappinga few hundred bucks worth of cocaine onto their wounds to heal, Farcry style

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I think Resurrection made me more uncomfortable than Saint Maude. Like I had to pause at a point because of the vibes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I was psyched on that detail, that's the sort of continuity hook I can get behind.

also any prompt to get people to watch Predator 2 is cool with me. great movie, you have dudes slappinga few hundred bucks worth of cocaine onto their wounds to heal, Farcry style

Yeah, Predator 2 is real good

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And full circle, the director of Predator 2 is the same guy that over-directed NOES 5 into complete boring-ness.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

I think Resurrection made me more uncomfortable than Saint Maude. Like I had to pause at a point because of the vibes.

Rebecca Hall just crushes it, put her in a role and watch me immediately get sucked in

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of endorsement that'll make me watch it tonight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has anyone here watched that new Christina Ricci movie Monstrous?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

This was really cool and had me waiting for a post-credits scene but I was kinda glad they just left it unresolved. I love coming out of a Predator movie with a few questions to wonder about.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

Rebecca Hall just crushes it, put her in a role and watch me immediately get sucked in
Yeah, absolutely my favorite actress working rn. She carries every movie she's in.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone here watched that new Christina Ricci movie Monstrous?

It's very much paint-by-numbers. I love CR but it wasn't particularly a great film.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Is Resurrection streaming somewhere already? I couldn't find it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's a rental on most services as of today. Amazon's got it for $7, IIRC.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It premiered at Sundance in January, which is when I got to see and love it
It came to VOD (Amazon, Vudu, etc) for purchase and rental today, which is when everyone gets to see and love it
It comes to streaming exclusively on Shudder sometime in November, which is when the late bloomers get to see and love it

The Night House wasn't a fluke, Rebecca Hall is an incredible talent. Also Tim Roth is creepy as gently caress here, and the whole film is insane lol. Would make for a great double feature with Todd Haynes' Safe, imo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

It comes to streaming exclusively on Shudder sometime in November, which is when the late bloomers get to see and love it

The Night House wasn't a fluke, Rebecca Hall is an incredible talent.
hey just in time for me to do another Shudder trial lol

also yeah she really showed her chops in Christine for me, such a heartbreaking movie

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Resurrection is wild. Absolutely did not expect this movie about a woman being tormented by her ex to go all Inside, holy poo poo.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Basebf555 posted:

This was really cool and had me waiting for a post-credits scene but I was kinda glad they just left it unresolved. I love coming out of a Predator movie with a few questions to wonder about.

Well, while there isn't a traditional post credits scene in the Marvel sense, in the animated bit that recaps the movie it ends with clouds rolling in and three (? maybe) predator ships showing up, so there might be a continuation, the predators got that pistol somehow afterall

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It's a rental on most services as of today. Amazon's got it for $7, IIRC.

Oh nice, it's showing up for me now. I love Hall, I've been really excited for this one!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hollismason posted:

but that just means either colonizers take it from them or the predators kill them and take it themselves :smith:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Breaking news!

Prey loving RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPSSSSSSSS!!!!!1!!11!

The Comanche dub is actually really good and I recommend it. Even if you don’t care what language a movie is, I encourage you to watch that one cause it shows there’s a market for big budget non-English movies so cigar chomping producers are less gun-shy about that. How many movies do you get to watch in Comanche, seriously.

Plus you know, it’s not a very well-off language and this kind of marketing can help out with language revitalization efforts. Fewer languages dying would be cool and good, it’s very cheap on your end.

Comanche is very pretty. Devoiced vowels??? Dual number morphology??? Instrumental prefixes, including one for “with the butt”???? What’s not to love.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whatd you think about the actual movie? That's a genuine question not meant to be some sort of attack on you being excited about the comanche dub!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying it so far even though Disney doesn't seem to have the Comanche version

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rob should take a note here and release a Transylvanian version of The Munsters

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O it slaps hard as hell.

How often do you get a period-scifi-action-horror?!? It’s a hell of a combo and each element is done really well.

I kind of get the what people mean when they say it’s the best since OG Predator, biut I’d quibble cause I think there’s a good argument it in fact is just as good, but it can only do that because there already was the first one.

Like, not spoiling but I’m gonna speak very broadly : in a sense it’d be a very good movie even if it was just a random new alien, but the predator works really well with the imagery and themes and then since you’re already familiar with the franchise it saves a bunch of set up so it can be a lot more efficient in certain ways. So it gets to come off really clean, but literally only because of what Predator did. It can’t be better because it criticism grandfather-paradoxxed itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
What Josiah Saw is such a drat shame. It's slow as hell but the atmosphere is heavy, you feel like you're drowning in molasses. Kinda reminded me of a southern gothic Hereditary with all the heavy family stuff, extremely my poo poo. And then they had to go turboracist.