Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i assume the $1 billion profit is independently sourced from the state dept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1555204221418479616

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1555510561256996865?t=xamtxAXRM24LB3RFEwJVlA&s=19

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

:psyduck:

For the unfamiliar, the globe and mail is one of the major Canadian newspapers. Pretty wild to see them openly printing nazi fluff pieces

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I could have a beer with Hitler

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat horror queefs posted:

For the unfamiliar, the globe and mail is one of the major Canadian newspapers. Pretty wild to see them openly printing nazi fluff pieces

Canada has the largest Ukrainian diaspora in the world, so stuff like that plays pretty well here.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/roxytall/status/1416397377267634181?lang=en

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dreylad posted:

Canada has the largest Ukrainian diaspora in the world, so stuff like that plays pretty well here.

Remember when they were investigating the "desecration" of a memorial to a Waffen-SS division as a hate crime.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/HalSparks/status/1555535495169355776

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
When I was an editor, I always loved editing the stock market report. Every day, some AP reporter has to give out the key numbers from the market that day, but then also for some reason they feel compelled to explain why even though they probably have no loving clue. This is every day, so if it's like a 20 pt. rise that means absolutely nothing, they've got to cook up a reason why the Dow held steady that day.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Thr CBC has been doing this poo poo for months now

Canada is full of Ukrainian Nazis in influential positions in media and govt

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Ukrainian diaspora in Canada were prime movers behind the "holodomor" lie in the 80s to cover for their personal roles in the Holocaust

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
All those Jews we slaughtered? That's right, they were actually worse than Hitler ...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the nyp has revealed that the times real estate writer responsible for the "she has a budget of $3600 a month, which did she choose?" articles is squatting an illegal sublet after fleeing their own apartment due to a hyper sensitivity to sound condition they are claiming idk but i just wanted to say you know poo poo is hosed when the grey lady's house hunter lifestyle writer is in housing court.

NY Times real estate writer sued, accused of owing $35K in rent dispute https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/new-york-times-writer-sued-over-rental-housing-dispute/

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Windup Girl was absolutely foul and rapey. If he stopped writing that sort of thing, so much the better. I rarely stop novels, but that one I couldn't endure.

this is how I feel about anything written by junot diaz gently caress that weirdo

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

no thank you

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Trolling Thunder posted:

this is how I feel about anything written by junot diaz gently caress that weirdo

The Brief Wonderous Life of Richard Kyanka is pretty topical, even now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1555998933087911936?t=9EFJLUoRDAyX5g0gBLppsA&s=19
https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1555999919818899457?t=bUR8ZG-s3X51HAg62KYx2g&s=19
https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1556000534410264577?t=BCoWHhHRqpJp6PoLmBl4Sg&s=19

Washington Post opinion columnist now in case you weren't keeping up with McArdle's career

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

souls are too busy fighting each other on top of a couple loving in the hopes of being sucked into the fertilized egg like a ghostbuster trap they dont look past that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also the Veil of Ignorance doesn't work if you assume intelligent souls pre-birth.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
McArdle gets exorbitantly paid to have the mind of a dumb child

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The child chose to consent pre-fertilisation tho

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the soul goes right to heaven if it’s aborted, we should all want to be aborted it’s a fast track to the good part of existence

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1556113875350716416?s=20&t=WwawGtACzKvZ8ocZe8dhwg

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

really expected it to be a dumb freakonomics take about how ceteris paribus there’s more Utility for wanted children. i’m genuinely impressed at how much dumber her take is. counterpoint: I’m actually an aborted Holzmann brain

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

What an incredible misunderstanding of what the veil of ignorance is. Very specifically religious though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if i earnestly believed that every aborted baby was condemned to an eternity as a malevolent ghost i'd do more about it than twitter posts and op eds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Personally I'm on the side of the malevolent ghosts

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Personally I'm on the side of the malevolent ghosts

yeah you would be

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Megan’s point is actually even more inane from a theological perspective since the pre-existence of souls before conception is explicitly heretical

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah you would be

Lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Megan’s point is actually even more inane from a theological perspective since the pre-existence of souls before conception is explicitly heretical

a little light heresy is acceptable if you are doing it in pursuit of a noble goal, like giving the church control of all human reproduction

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is it? Which heresy is it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it? Which heresy is it?

It's "Origenism" and it got stamped out like 1,500 years ago and the dude got excommunicated so pretty much none of the Christian sects believe in it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

It's "Origenism" and it got stamped out like 1,500 years ago and the dude got excommunicated so pretty much none of the Christian sects believe in it.

*laughs mormonishly*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

well surely if souls begin at conception theres no logical problem with them wondering if theyr gonna be aborted or not

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PostNouveau posted:

For some reason the amazingly pedantic squabbles of early Christians about the nature of the Trinity. Eusebius probably just making up a story about Origen castration himself, it's very messy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ww2 would be much funnier if the nazis were arians instead of aryans

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

arianism was at least at some point actually a thing for germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Origen got excommunicated posthumously, which I feel should have opened up its own enormous can of worms about the nature of God and salvation and led to more schisms.