Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

wanting to change how and what you write because you think you need to be different is finding disappointment in music. wanting to change how and what you write because you want to see and try new compositions is finding enjoyment in music. both of them have the same cause and end up in the same place but at least one of them makes you happy

I'm more interested in seeing what sorts of different songs I can make... one of the reasons I started exploring music in the first place was because I was curious what kind of music someone like me would make (and kinda hoping that there's a Gomba Reject Ward Japan in there that I just need to figure out how to access).

Pollyanna posted:

and they’re not that different in the end. just a matter of how you look at it.

It's that whole intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation thing. They can both be useful, but I find that I need intrinsic motivation to *really* get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7127128971770072322

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

That was pretty cool. I need to start making more videos, but besides splicing clips together and adding effects, this is a total black art for me.

I bought a program called Visual Synthesizer on a sale recently, and was messing with the presets using a song I put together when I was supposed to be cleaning the basement, so I'd do some cleaning, some song, some cleaning, some weed, some song, some song, some cleaning, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiPB92CZ2PQ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im_sorry posted:

That was pretty cool. I need to start making more videos, but besides splicing clips together and adding effects, this is a total black art for me.

I bought a program called Visual Synthesizer on a sale recently, and was messing with the presets using a song I put together when I was supposed to be cleaning the basement, so I'd do some cleaning, some song, some cleaning, some weed, some song, some song, some cleaning, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiPB92CZ2PQ

haha I like the clean then song then clean then song technique and the results are good

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

echinopsis posted:

haha I like the clean then song then clean then song technique and the results are good

The basement looks only marginally better.. I wish I could get this intrinsically motivated about cleaning.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

going to put out some music under this name for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufu0dVpRlis

The other tracks are mostly dubstep (2011 forever) but i haven't uploaded them. I'll probably do another 4 or so tracks in this style/name and then change it again idk.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I made this a while ago, don't know why the hell it's so long.
My kid was doing the Mmmmmms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icPNG9Q7VlU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MattO posted:

I made this a while ago, don't know why the hell it's so long.
My kid was doing the Mmmmmms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icPNG9Q7VlU

lol at the kid going mm yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i know everybody has a combo of imposter and various other syndromes in this thread, myself included, but this is quite possibly one of the more valuable yosthreads. thank you all for continuing to poo poo out your beep boops.

i'm too depressed and stressed about work to make music, but i browse these regularly and it makes me happy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and my apologies for being carelessly contrarian last week, I concur brother. sorry to hear work is a drag

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh and im sorry for taking rude shots at you too. We're all loving fragging out and turning into golems. i'd still pay your bail

maybe i SHOULD do some dumb music stuff to vent this week

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:glomp:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
might be a decent distraction from all the poo poo

getting lost in music (listening or making it) .. it’s a gift and sometimes we’re lucky enough to be granted it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

wanting to change how and what you write because you think you need to be different is finding disappointment in music. wanting to change how and what you write because you want to see and try new compositions is finding enjoyment in music. both of them have the same cause and end up in the same place but at least one of them makes you happy

and they’re not that different in the end. just a matter of how you look at it.

m bison yes

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I recently had the courage to try out an effects pedal (Proco Rat... yeah, I hadn't bought one yet) in a guitar store, and one guy actually thought I sounded good!

I really need to start taking guitar more seriously.. this new pedal + reverb sounds really cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pedal land is fun but it can be serious moneytrap

Most of the time I use Neural DSP sims but i have a good time just plugging in to a real amp through my M13

it lets you pick any four pedals at a time, total 12 selectable, and you get like 12 'scenes' of that. i think its got like 125 different pedal models in there

''''''' old tech ''''' (like early 2010s) so they go supercheap used. $200 for mine

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pedals have that same tactility thing synths do

Yeah my Arturia vsts sound ace, especially once through some native instruments effects or whatever

But

It's not the same as playing my Microfreak through a couple of cheap behringer pedals into my guitar amp on the clean channel

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i bought a syntakt, gets here next week

i want to sell the live ii i've barely touched now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got a bonus at work and i haven't actually used one of those for a nice toy for myself in literal years at this point. so i bought a new mic and an antenna for radio stuff and i still have some money left that im gonna spend on music stuff but i haven't decided what yet

im thinkin either a guitar pedal or some kinda synth. im leaning synth since i can do so much with Guitar Rig and im pretty bad at guitar. maybe a cool controller or similar that could drive VSTs. not gonna spend more than $400. i have a td3 and a launchkey mini.

my default is a $40 behrenger fuzz pedal clone or something like that. or destroy the budget and get a hydra synth. but i thought id see if any of y'all have recs for sick synths or keyboards/midi controllers in that price range. im obviously not gonna just buy something without researching it so feel free to use as much or as little detail as you want

thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i picked up an mpk mini and it's great for doodling on synths

8 knobs, 8 pads, 25 keys, lil mod stick

has a good (latching or non) arpeggiator too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i picked up an mpk mini and it's great for doodling on synths

8 knobs, 8 pads, 25 keys, lil mod stick

has a good (latching or non) arpeggiator too

the launchkey mini is this:

i think i went with the launchkey over the mpk cause it was supposed to have better ableton control or whatever. but i dont use its actual ableton junk at all tbh, i use the computer for triggers and use the pads like drum pads. the launch part of launchkey is useless to me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c bad music idea s: post-post-grunge

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

shitpost-rock

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Kazinsal posted:

cybergrunge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pre-punk

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jonny 290 posted:

pedal land is fun but it can be serious moneytrap

Yes.. I know!! I once bought a pedal that was about $350 (Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar) in 2014 if I remember the price correctly. I usually stick to the cheaper ones.

I don't buy them that often, but over the years since I've been attempting guitar, I've accumulated several of them. My most prized possession is a BOSS HM-2 that I bought for $50 from a guitar teacher in 1996.

I've only ever used my own guitar playing on a track once, and it's https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/track/doomscrolling-like-a-bastard. I messed it up, too. I still have a lot of trouble playing in time, although I've been practicing guitar and bass with a drum machine more lately.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

Fun friday experiment: let's define this.

so grunge was a reaction to hair metal and top40 pop that involved loud, bass-heavy cheap guitar lines, but often with a lot of spector pop melody, some solos but not required, and really stream of consciousness lyrics. it was also heavily influenced by the heroin explosion that happened after the collapse of the ussr and subsequent balkans-joining-western-trade economies. In Utero was bankrolled by Afghani farmers.

so before we nail down post-post-grunge, let's identify what post-grunge is

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jonny 290 posted:

so before we nail down post-post-grunge, let's identify what post-grunge is

this one's easy, it's all the garbage butt rock like nickelback et. al.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
also i am 100% serious i would make cybergrunge but atm i do not have an electric guitar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

killhamster posted:

this one's easy, it's all the garbage butt rock like nickelback et. al.

even tho grunge got commercial it didn’t start out that way but post grunge feels like it was manufactured to be popular from the get go

PUDDLE OF MUDD lol

idk. i’m a million miles away from when any of this happened and also know jack poo poo

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

killhamster posted:

also i am 100% serious i would make cybergrunge but atm i do not have an electric guitar

you don't need it, you just need electric guitar samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfabTO5Ivc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
after spending time getting back with my synth, and in contrast to using midi controllers with a VST,

I can suggest that if no one has done it, I think they should. everyone is different of course and different people get different things out of music, but packing away the DAW and just sitting with a single instrument is.. it's good.

I just play more, fiddle knobs yes, but just play. maybe, MAYBE, if I really like what I've played I open up ableton and record it into the DAW, but before then it's just running into a speaker.

earlier in the year when I sold the synth, and just used a midi keyboard, it was good, but I found myself lost in the minutiae of the daw, and the novelty of having infinite sounds ran it's course. I am far happier with this new synth, even if the keyboard is smaller than is ideal for me (three octaves vs 4 for the full sized one I sold)

although, it's meant finding new ways to play chords to stay in the 3 octaves

anyway that's my experience. I am sure others are different, but if you've got the time and the money and the inclination, I can seriously recommend it

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

echinopsis posted:

anyway that's my experience. I am sure others are different, but if you've got the time and the money and the inclination, I can seriously recommend it

you are running sidelong into some of the very effective highlights of Brian Eno’s oblique strategies and I’m pleased to hear that it works for you.

I managed to obliterate my latest creative block by making little bumpers for KNOH HonksFM, goose-flavored space radio. 10-12 seconds and must include goose noises is a really wonderful format for DAW exercises, and commercial radio bumpers are already parodies of themselves, so emulating them is a license to make a big mess in a very tiny box.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
goose flavourings yum

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just gone through the horrors of having to reinstall my OS and the bleakest part is downloading/attempting to sign into all the various launchers and authentication apps for music.

Cubase wasn't too bad (didn't reinstall any of the included content yet but I barely use anything that isn't the DAW and the effects) but NI, Izotope and anything with Ilok is a loving nightmare.
Even though I had all the NI stuff in a separate drive they've updated Native Access and now it won't see any of it so I have to reinstall.

At least this is making me think about what I use and how important to me various things are l, but sunk cost fallacy is chewing my consciousness

Rapidedit: especially as NI and Izotope are the same group now, let me have all of it in one place!

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

echinopsis posted:

goose flavourings yum

Here's the four I made so far: https://voca.ro/1fKm86FqksC5

And the KNOH ID honks, if anyone wants to take a swing at making your own :honk: https://voca.ro/185VmLvYSrOd

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

Here's the four I made so far: https://voca.ro/1fKm86FqksC5

And the KNOH ID honks, if anyone wants to take a swing at making your own :honk: https://voca.ro/185VmLvYSrOd

lol

i made some simple synth thing. sounds to me like music you'd hear in a space exploration game or something?

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/space-out-chill-out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got ableton set up again finally after wiping my computer and had some great jams. at one point i had my keys going into ableton attached to a drum machine, but also midi going into my td3, so the notes were triggering both drums and synth. turn on arp mode and holy poo poo is that fun to play with

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Finally, after having the unlabeled cassettes of "The Air Conditioner Graveyard" for like two years, and getting the labels and covers done early this year, I've come up with the motivation to start putting them together for shipping and sent out some. I have to cut the middles out of the tape labels with scissors, since the printing place couldn't do it, so they look a little handmade, but I think it adds to the charm. I've only been sending them to people I know personally so far, but I'm thinking of putting them up for sale on my Bandcamp page at some point for $4.20 + shipping. I had around 40 cassettes made, and the total price for everything was around $275 Cdn. I'm probably losing money in the end, but I would have wasted that money on something else that was completely stupid, so I don't really care.

There's also a Sunrise Records in the mall here, and they sell stuff by local artists, mostly CDs - I wonder if they'd stock a couple copies of my tape....

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

im_sorry posted:

Finally, after having the unlabeled cassettes of "The Air Conditioner Graveyard" for like two years, and getting the labels and covers done early this year, I've come up with the motivation to start putting them together for shipping and sent out some. I have to cut the middles out of the tape labels with scissors, since the printing place couldn't do it, so they look a little handmade, but I think it adds to the charm. I've only been sending them to people I know personally so far, but I'm thinking of putting them up for sale on my Bandcamp page at some point for $4.20 + shipping. I had around 40 cassettes made, and the total price for everything was around $275 Cdn. I'm probably losing money in the end, but I would have wasted that money on something else that was completely stupid, so I don't really care.

There's also a Sunrise Records in the mall here, and they sell stuff by local artists, mostly CDs - I wonder if they'd stock a couple copies of my tape....

It's super cool that you made tapes of your music! It sounds like a lot of fun