Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What are the best and worst concerts you've been to?

Best:

The Dillinger Escape Plan (2008): If you want an intense as gently caress metal show, go check these guys out. These mother fuckers know how to get a crowd moving for sure. I was completely drained after the show, but in a good way haha

Radiohead (In Rainbows Tour): Nuff said.

Worst:

The Killers (2016): So disappointing! They just looked so bored on stage and the mixing was so bad where I could hardly hear the songs at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
W I Z A R D M A S T E R

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Best: Hole at the Fillmore in late ‘94 - I know everybody likes to poo poo on Courtney Love, but this was a phenomenal show, plus I got in free because I just showed up at the venue trying to buy a scalped ticket and there was none to be had. The door guy eventually felt sorry for my shivering, freezing rear end and just let me in by saying I was on the list. Veruca Salt was a great opener, too.

Runner-up: Suicidal Tenancies in about 1997. I’m a pit veteran and was in very good physical shape at the time, but that show was like being pummeled for 90 minutes straight, in a good way. I was covered with bruises and could barely walk afterward. Ended up with a drumstick, too. 10/10

Worst: Joe Walsh solo sometime in the mid-Nineties at the Warfield in SF. I’ve been to a lot of shows, and this was the most boring and perfunctory concert I’ve ever seen. Joe looked unbelievably bored and ran through all his hits and was off the stage in like 45 minutes.

Runner up for worst: Johnny Thunders in…1991? Right before he died, anyway. Barely played any guitar, just bitched about the sound levels continuously(he always did that, but was particularly bad this night), and tried to croon songs and just croaked them. It was a horrifying look at what long term junkydom does to you, he looked like a diseased elf.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Best: Makeup and Vanity Set at Retro Future Fest in London 2019. Absolute loving orgy of sound.

Worst: Ian Brown in Dublin, playing support for Manic Street Preachers. God what a boring man.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I watched myself doing the protect your lungs motion when evryone went forward.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Best: Alice Cooper or Rush. Alice puts on a great show and Rush sounds amazing for three dudes.

Worst: Marilyn Manson. Just kinda felt like he was going through the motions and didn't want to be on stage.

Longest concert: Somehow, Greenday. They did 32 songs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Best: all 5 times I've seen Sleep since their reunion, Neurosis, Maiden when they broke out the Powerslave set again and played Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Weird Al in 1999

Worst: High on Fire when they opened for Opeth because Matt was way too fuckin drunk, Ted Nugent opening for ZZ Top because Ted Nugent is a violent racist and wants you to know that for a fact

Most on-brand: DMX. It was a 3 hour DJ set where they kept telling us X IS IN THE HOUSE while X was decidedly not in the house. I'm going to guess he spent those 3 hours smoking crack cocaine in his tour bus. He came on an hour late, did 45 minutes of truncated versions of his greatest hits, then preached at everyone for a half hour and that was that. At one point he brought one of his children, a toddler, out on stage and had him say WHAT into the mic. Then he died 2 years later.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 7, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
worst was Bob Dylan at Marcus Amphitheater, Summerfest Grounds like 12 years ago.

best thing i've ever seen live is Norm MacDonald at the American Comedy Club in San Diego, which is a pretty small venue

a bebop band playing this insane arrangement for "Tomorrow Never Knows" at Small's in Greenwich Village

all the rock and metal bands cant compete with those two

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Best: Gary Numan. My son & I saw him at a small club in Detroit last March. We did the meet & greet and he was super nice. Stood front row center for the concert and it was unbelievable. My son is barely a Numan fan and he was blown away.

Worst: David Bowie. Saw him back when he toured with NIN in the late 90s? Played all new songs that no one has ever heard then or now, except for Under Pressure to close the show. gently caress you Bowie.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Best either Neurosis for being transcendentally massive, or the first time Clutch played in Australia for the best vibes.

Worst Devin Townsend with terrible sound in a festival tent, or anytime a kickarse international band has played to a tepid crowd on a weeknight.

Out of hundreds of gigs I don't recall any where the artists themselves were notably (and unintentionally) awful other than being amateur/just not my taste. It's usually the setting/surrounding stuff that takes the shine off.

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2022

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Best was maybe Patti Smith at TD Garden opening for Neil Young, but every Clutch show I've been to has also been spectacular.

Worst was Dinosaur Jr in Charlotte. After about halfway thru the set, their timing seemed off, like someone just wanted to get out of Charlotte, which, fair

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

worst was Bob Dylan at Marcus Amphitheater, Summerfest Grounds like 12 years ago.

My brother saw Dylan at a festival in the mid 2000s, and I am amazed at how angry he still gets to this day about that show.

For me, best was TesseracT in Montreal in 2016. Anytime a group from Europe comes, it's always a toss-up if they even make it to Canada, so it was a real treat. They were amazing, too.

Worst was Herbie Hancock at a festival in 2007. He played nothing but the slowest and most boring vocal jazz songs. He brought on about five different guest singers, told super long stories between each song that went nowhere, and played so much atonal poo poo. He closed with Chameleon and that song must have lasted a good fifteen minutes, complete with more atonal and dissonant piano solos. And I want to say Chameleon was the most "up" song they played all night. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for that show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

People seem to only have two opinions of Dylan: it's either the greatest or the absolute worst show ever. No middle ground lol

I can't think of a worst but best show was probably Richard Buckner playing with Iron & Wine. Either that or Every Time I Die in Buffalo when Keith invited everyone to his house for a party afterwards.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

People seem to only have two opinions of Dylan: it's either the greatest or the absolute worst show ever. No middle ground lol

I have never heard anyone my age say they have been to a good Dylan show lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seen some good ones...

justice/m83 doubleheader was up there...

kingfish ingram where he came into the crowd and played a solo right to me and my gf with people standing around us in a circle

mutemath where it started with the drummer duct taping his monitor phones on like john bonham and ended with the lead singer crowdsurfing on a massive inflatable raft covered in LEDs

the faint on my 23rd birthday, and then we watched the season finale of S3 of LOST that night... man great fuckin night.

worst?

honestly I just saw freddie gibbs and he kinda sucked. I've never been a huge fan of 'rap over a dj' live sets but it just wasn't.. good.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Actually worst was probably when I worked local crew for an NSYNC show....the ENTIRE time all you heard was 20,000 girls screaming non loving stop. Swear to god, there wasn't one moment where anyone took a breath.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

oh yeah another top-tier one was Secret Chiefs 3, we got there way early and watched Trey Spruance put on a clinic for 40 minutes while he was tuning up. Atomic Ape opened and were great, and then SC3 killed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best might have been The Strokes which I saw last week. They sounded absolutely incredible, Julian's singing was amazing and the lightshow was fantastic.

The worst was probably Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks because I got overheated and had a panic attack and fainted in the middle of the crowd and a random hipster guy with a moustache that had big curly tails saved me.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Worst experience was the 6'6" 400 lb guy getting too stoned and falling on me at the Neil Young show. we were like twenty feet from the stage, so security got to him easily enough.

then I saw J Mascis at the Dunkin at north station so that was cool

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Best: Hella Mega Tour with Weezer, Fall Out Boy, and Green Day. I fuckin love me some Weezer, and see them every time they come to the area. Also the biggest show I've been too, massive crowd that looked like it sold out the new baseball stadium

Worst: Atilla, but it wasn't really their fault. The venue was waaaaaay too small with the shitiest bartender I've ever had. Also some dude was running a smash bros tournament in the back of the room for reasons. Also, the pit seemed to have a lot of extra aggressive assholes that night. Ended up leaving early because it was so packed I started to get concerned for me or my wife getting hurt if something was to happen.

Honorable Mention: Bowling for Soup are consistently hilarious on stage and bring the best energy a bunch of aging dudes can bring, but good God the crowd attracts the worst kind of attention seeking assholes that yell back at the stage or throw poo poo trying to get noticed.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 7, 2022

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Worst experience was the 6'6" 400 lb guy getting too stoned and falling on me at the Neil Young show. we were like twenty feet from the stage, so security got to him easily enough.

then I saw J Mascis at the Dunkin at north station so that was cool

I remember the first time I ever saw Dinosaur Jr some guy in the crowd next to me was like "hey man I have some spare earplugs you should use them" and I said "pfff whatever, how loud can they be?" and then the show started and I thought my skull was going to explode

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

haljordan posted:

I remember the first time I ever saw Dinosaur Jr some guy in the crowd next to me was like "hey man I have some spare earplugs you should use them" and I said "pfff whatever, how loud can they be?" and then the show started and I thought my skull was going to explode

I'm actually convinced Dinosaur Jr left me with hearing damage. A guy in the crowd yelled "Turn the amps down!" and Lou Barlow yelled "What show do you think you're loving at?!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm actually convinced Dinosaur Jr left me with hearing damage. A guy in the crowd yelled "Turn the amps down!" and Lou Barlow yelled "What show do you think you're loving at?!"

Lou Barlow played a solo gig over in Troy last summer and it was so good. Just him taking requests all night, played almost everything off Bakesale

edit: he also mentioned how he has like eight different kinds of tinnitus now lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 7, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

haljordan posted:

I tried him again at a smaller venue in 2019 and I'd say I found the middle ground, was a fine show.

He's not trying to play instruments anymore, his voice has settled into a Tom Waits-esque growl. It's kind of a blues singer shtick but it works better

Late 2000s his voice was firmly in nasally demon mode.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

poo poo I forgot about when I saw a band called Iversen in June in Bristol. Holy gently caress. They only had a 45 minute set but the lead singer just went apeshit, they basically blew the roof off the joint with their music style and then ended the set with a cover of Sabotage. Highly recommend looking them up.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Best overall was probably Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour…2018, I think? Long rear end show but they played all the hits, sounded loving amazing, plus a gazillion dollar light/effects show and a weird Billy-pope riding around the floor.

Worst was probably I dunno, Weezer? They weren’t even bad they just somehow made being at a big venue feel like watching a show in a high school gymnasium. I was on the floor like 15 feet from the stage and they weren’t even loud.

E: tied for first might be my first show ever which was Clutch in a tiny rear end club in Providence.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Marty Crane posted:

For me, best was TesseracT in Montreal in 2016. Anytime a group from Europe comes, it's always a toss-up if they even make it to Canada, so it was a real treat. They were amazing, too.

oh man i would love to see tesseract live.

best concert is probably any foo fighters show, though my favorite is either the summerfest july 2012 show where he opened with "its gonna be a long fuckin sweaty night." milwaukee broke heat records that still stand, it was 100+ degrees. runner up would be 2018 at the fiserv when i was 2 weeks out of brain surgery and had floor seats.

worst was evanescence at the rave in 2006. i have to ticket stub proving i was there, but i do not remember anything about it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Best overall was probably Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour…2018, I think? Long rear end show but they played all the hits, sounded loving amazing, plus a gazillion dollar light/effects show and a weird Billy-pope riding around the floor.

Worst was probably I dunno, Weezer? They weren’t even bad they just somehow made being at a big venue feel like watching a show in a high school gymnasium. I was on the floor like 15 feet from the stage and they weren’t even loud.

E: tied for first might be my first show ever which was Clutch in a tiny rear end club in Providence.

I saw smashing pumpkins when I was in like eighth grade (I think right after Mellon Collie came out) and I wandered too far into the pit and my glasses got knocked off and smashed hah

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

haljordan posted:

I saw smashing pumpkins when I was in like eighth grade (I think right after Mellon Collie came out) and I wandered too far into the pit and my glasses got knocked off and smashed hah

Lol rekt

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Best: Explosions in the Sky. They can make people cry with instrumental music, loving amazing.

Worst: The Mars Volta. Wankery. 100% self indulgent guitar playing wankery. 45 minutes of sqeeedly deedldy poop.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 7, 2022

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Most on-brand: DMX. It was a 3 hour DJ set where they kept telling us X IS IN THE HOUSE while X was decidedly not in the house. I'm going to guess he spent those 3 hours smoking crack cocaine in his tour bus. He came on an hour late, did 45 minutes of truncated versions of his greatest hits, then preached at everyone for a half hour and that was that. At one point he brought one of his children, a toddler, out on stage and had him say WHAT into the mic. Then he died 2 years later.

Basically what you're saying is that you killed DMX

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Wizard Master posted:

Best:
Radiohead (In Rainbows tour)

Agreed.

Worst:
The Used: 2012 at Vinoy Park. McCraken was such a bitch and everyone threw shoes at him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Modulo16 posted:

Agreed.

Worst:
The Used: 2012 at Vinoy Park. McCraken was such a bitch and everyone threw shoes at him.

Lmao goddamn you really gotta hate someone to do that

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

dinosaur should've been louder imo. i think the sound just sucked that night and put them off.

i forgot that my first concert was Tool on the tour for Lateralus and i was bored out of my mind, made worse because of how good Fantomas was as the opener. upside is I never cared about Tool again

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Best:
YOB at le poussin rouge
The Ocean at Toad’s Place
GYBE at St. Paul’s cathedral
Thou/ERR at St Vitus

Worst:
Deftones at Jones Beach circa 2002
Smashing Pumpkins at Rockville

Wish I remembered:
Pelican at St Vitus
Russian Circles/Boris at roseland(?)
Neurosis at The Chance

E: oooh like above, tool has been boring as poo poo each time I’ve seen them. Last time they had YOB open, and goddamn I felt bad for them as doom metal is not in most Tool fan’s wheelhouse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Best: Living End in 2016 was probably the best combination of a good set & good performance. "Carry Me Home" was especially awesome. :D

edit: Runners-up: Turisas in 2016, Kaizers Orchestra in 2008

Worst: ZP Theart-era Dragonforce in 2007. Sweet jesus, ZP's vocals were horrendous and his sobriety levels were questionable.

edit: I can't think of any especially lovely concerts I've been to, although I recently went to a show where the band whose name I don't remember staged an audience fight. It wasn't excited or cool, it just made people worried.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 7, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Best: My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult 1993 - 13 ABOVE THE NIGHT TOUR w/ Machines Of Loving Grace

Words can't describe how awesome this show was. Shoulder to shoulder everyone just bouncing pushing enjoying. They sounded so good.

Worst: Garbage 2019

The sound was so terrible I couldn't hear anything. It was just white noise for an hour. It was so bad.

Runner up for best shows were all the local punk shows that drew in hundreds of kids all doing circle pits in abandoned warehouses and buildings and trouting against the circle during my high school years. So loving awesome.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 7, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Best was either Spiritualized at Radio City on 2 tabs of acid or Rage Against The Machine at Randall's Island in I think it was 2007. Also I saw Dan Deacon and Deerhunter play at a pool that was shaped like an airplane.

Worst:

I was here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Best: BB King

Worst: my friend's band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A few metal shows at The Roxy on the sunset strip.

Slayer in a smallish venue.

Every Meshuggah concert Ive seen.

:blastu: