Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Look, what Cid’s into is his own business. I don’t recommend sleeping with your ex as a general rule, but it’s not like I can stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

IMO every time you meet Nero you should remind him of his Prae speech. He should die of embarrassment

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

I still don't understand why anybody tolerates Nero being around them, let alone actually working with the dude.

Everything bad he did was the result of petty jealously and "why won't senpai notice me" tantrums so he's not really Evil, just pathetic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

this, have you SEEN his sunglasses???

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sassassin posted:

Everything bad he did was the result of petty jealously and "why won't senpai notice me" tantrums so he's not really Evil, just pathetic.

"Once the Weapon goes off who cares about the area? That's not my department" says Nero tol Scaeva.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nero can do whatever they want because if I have to I'll kick their dumb rear end again. Give me an excuse, ya gaddang ding dong.:stare:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So (early Endwalker spoilers) does the big team-up scene before going to Garlemald add more and more NPCs depending on the content you've done? I've done some leveling for White Mage, Warrior, and Black Mage and got specific little dialogues for each, I'm just wondering how crazy SE got with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1stGear posted:

So (early Endwalker spoilers) does the big team-up scene before going to Garlemald add more and more NPCs depending on the content you've done? I've done some leveling for White Mage, Warrior, and Black Mage and got specific little dialogues for each, I'm just wondering how crazy SE got with it.

Yes, pretty much all the non-generic characters in the scene are people you've had the chance to interact with depending on jobs and questlines and basically all have something brief to say if you've done their related content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1stGear posted:

To my knowledge they don't add more based on which content you've done, but they do acknowledge your progress in each for the ones that do show up. It's cool.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, pretty much all the non-generic characters in the scene are people you've had the chance to interact with depending on jobs and questlines and basically all have something brief to say if you've done their related content.

Arist posted:

To my knowledge they don't add more based on which content you've done, but they do acknowledge your progress in each for the ones that do show up. It's cool.

Ah, neat. Man, I wish I'd been playing this game for longer so all the "Things are wrapping up" points would land that much more impactfully.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Onto Heavensward!

Wait, I just walk into the new place? That's it? No obtuse quest to unlock access?

FFXI, you were a right bastard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The obtuse quest was all of 2.x.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good point

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I imagine most thread regulars are past the point, but for anyone just starting up the game, SE released an animated Starter Guide that details some of the important elements of early gameplay that could come in handy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vermain posted:

I imagine most thread regulars are past the point, but for anyone just starting up the game, SE released an animated Starter Guide that details some of the important elements of early gameplay that could come in handy.

Yo these are pretty rad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Compared to ARR, if I'm sprinting through HW MSQ how long should it take?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shinjobi posted:

Compared to ARR, if I'm sprinting through HW MSQ how long should it take?

It should take a little longer. There's more quests in 3.0 than the 2.X series after they removed a bunch of the latter.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so the FFXIV youtube channel has a new pretty well-made starter guide series that goes over basic newbie stuff which i thought was really cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMxiSH1Otw&list=PLrFWly2wJzL6DCI0avioUiokaD8RwMmsw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
currently at 26 days at the end of 4.0. take about 5-6 off that for idle time (i get lazy and forget to log out)

aaaaaanyways i just unlocked sage. what the gently caress is going on. theres lasers and needles everywhere this is awesome. be your own disco ball

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sage is like scholar if your fairy was a laser gun

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sage is almost identical to scholar, except it has better spell effects and lacks irritating poo poo like energy drain, dissipation, and button bloat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sage doesn't explain itself very well, I only feel like I started to get the hang of it doing a few solo fights and FATEs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, Sage has a bit of learning curve. I failed the intro quest duty once or twice, and it definitely took some screwing around with FATEs (and a couple mediocre LDR runs -- sorry, pubbies) before I felt any level of confidence with it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The best way to learn Sage is to set up your hotbars so that, as close as possibly, you have the skills in the same place as the equivalent Scholar one

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sage doesn't have the most important part of Scholar, which is arguing with other SCH players about which faerie is better.

it's selene, don't @ me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Qwertycoatl posted:

The best way to learn Sage is to set up your hotbars so that, as close as possibly, you have the skills in the same place as the equivalent Scholar one

I did exactly this

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1556751015734456323

really liking it so far, i mean, i'm an hour in, but it's super cool and the aesthetic is great

Relyssa posted:

Sage doesn't have the most important part of Scholar, which is arguing with other SCH players about which faerie is better.

it's selene, don't @ me

i mean what else would you do lol, summon eos like a chump?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 8, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

:hfive:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jonny 290 posted:

I did exactly this

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1556751015734456323

really liking it so far, i mean, i'm an hour in, but it's super cool and the aesthetic is great

I've been enjoying Sage as well, the leveling experience is pretty good because you get Kardio right away so you never have to stop blasting unless the tank is in serious trouble, and you've got your OGCDs to handle that.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So how much of the main story quests are cutscenes?

I'm on the free trial and just took out the Ultima weapon and am moving the scions to their new base.

Feels like I've been watching TV instead of playing a MMO. Just curious how the later MSQs are handled, cutscenes are fine but it feels like I'm just walking around and watching people talk for like 60-80% of the time spent playing right now.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Mr Newsman posted:

So how much of the main story quests are cutscenes?

I'm on the free trial and just took out the Ultima weapon and am moving the scions to their new base.

Feels like I've been watching TV instead of playing a MMO. Just curious how the later MSQs are handled, cutscenes are fine but it feels like I'm just walking around and watching people talk for like 60-80% of the time spent playing right now.

That's how most the MSQ is. The cutscenes in later expansions get much better (better character animations, direction, camera work, etc), but the MSQ always leans heavy on them. The grand majority of combat in the game is in duties, be they dungeons, trials, raids, or sometimes neat solo ones.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is always a lot of cutscenes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV is a JRPG with occasional online multiplayer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love the cutscenes so this has never been an issue with me. You can usually read your journal to find out where you are in the story even if you skip the cutscenes. And you can always go back in your inn room and access the Unending Journey to see cutscenes you skipped.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
This is all what I figured - thanks!!

It's just been feeling a bit like cutscene - travel / minor busy work - cutscene - travel - cutscene lately and I'd rather they just showed me four of them at once than make me trek all around in between.

Glad to hear I can just rewatch stuff/ read the journal later.

I really liked the stuff towards the end of the content I just finished and I like the gameplay so I guess maybe I should just take a break and run some duties or whatever to get some action going.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, it's okay to take breaks from the MSQ and other cutscene-heavy parts of the game and do stuff that's more gameplay-focused, like multiplayer instances, hunts, FATEs, or what have you. People emphasize getting through the ARR MSQ quickly because it gates a lot of content and QoL stuff like mounts and retainers, but it's fine to take your time, especially after 2.0 wraps up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there’s a LOT of ARR postgame stuff (because making Heavensward was also done on the schedule from hell and they wanted to be sure nobody ran out of poo poo to do before it was ready.)

As someone who charged through most of the MSQ I’m enjoying going back to a lot of the earlier content I skipped.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I've been pushing, whether it's MSQ or sidequests or whatever, I definitely keep an eye out for when my brain hits "get on with it" mode and that's my sign to change things up or take a break entirely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would like to reiterate that eventually solo duties become cool and fun too, instead of whatever they are in ARR.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also if you are in ARR patch content don't put off the crystal tower. When they finally force you to do it, it will be at a point in the story you really won't want to stop and do several hours of a raid. My advice would be any time the MSQ tells you to take a rest, go do some kind of side content. Crystal Tower, new dungeons and trials, give crafting or gathering a try, anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
crystal tower is fun and good and will teach you basic 24player raid mechanics

also, uh, theres gonna be this point at the end of 2.0 where it gives you this really weird `several cutscenes are about to play in order. dont skip them` message. Heed. it's a really good 45 minute film. Grab a beer, load a bowl, whatever, kick back and put on autoadvance and just enjoy that. It's really good.

e: oh im not sure if you got past that or not, anyways, my advice remains for any other sprouts. soak up the 2.0 end movie. it's so good.