Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Exchange Online, online archive, PST disabled by policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gorson posted:

I generally just use 365 for email hosting for clients since it keeps everything in one place and everyone uses Outlook, but is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Outlook does not want to be used on non-Exchange platforms.

If you can't get people to stop using Outlook, 365 is the least painful way to deal with it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What would you recommend for a Teams/meeting headset with decent volume capability or noise cancelling?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Poly Voyager 4300. I was trying to keep away from Bluetooth but it's Bluetooth between the headset and a USB dongle so you don't have to deal with any of the problems caused by doing Bluetooth audio on Windows. Battery life is amazing compared to the DECT headset I had before.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

We use a bunch of different mpow gear, xmpow.com or amazon

They've got a lot of blinky light gamer headsets, but their office focused ones are better (I use HC5 myself) - biggest thing I notice these days is making sure devices are bluetooth 5.0 - it increases the call quality by a large amount and you get waaay better battery time.

If you need full on headset button integration with an app (eg teams), then you're going to pay top $ for that with other companies like Jabra.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nah dont need fancy specific buttons, its just we have the bottom of the range logi crap now (H111). I'll check out the suggested ones

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Poly Voyager 4300. I was trying to keep away from Bluetooth but it's Bluetooth between the headset and a USB dongle so you don't have to deal with any of the problems caused by doing Bluetooth audio on Windows. Battery life is amazing compared to the DECT headset I had before.

The Voyager Focus is the same but with ANC if you want that. The usefulness of the dongle cannot be overstated. It acts like a USB sound card to your OS and even without the Poly software installed it will do things like sync the mute button on the headset with your meeting app and automatically switch between high quality music mode and two-way conference mode.

I've been really happy with Plantronics/Poly gear having used the same Focus for the past 4 years. I did take it apart and change the battery once after it stopped lasting all day, but it's good as new again. I recently picked up a Sync 20 speakerphone for WFH and it's similarly impressive. It pairs with the same dongle as my headset (can only use one at a time) and is full duplex.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

codo27 posted:

What would you recommend for a Teams/meeting headset with decent volume capability or noise cancelling?

If you've got the budget, the Poly DECT headsets in particular are great, we had problems with interference with the bluetooth models in more crowded offices. You should be able to find them far below MSRP if you look around.

https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/savi

I wanted to like the Sennheiser DECT headsets, but they just kept dying. :(

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
For the $99 price the Microsoft modern ones have been very good, I get a week between charges, but the headphones aren’t noise canceling. Obvs designed for teams.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anybody got Eaton UPSes? I came across one who's Intelligent Power Manager shows very short but routine swapping from "system is powered by the utility" to "system is powered by the UPS battery"

For like six seconds, routinely. So, surveying the room, is this more likely to be an UPS problem than a PUD one?

For note, it's an Eaton 5PX 1000 with two external extra big batteries.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I spent today setting up Conditional Access Policies and App Protection Policies for personal iOS and Android devices today. That got me thinking about Windows and MacOS devices.

What are the equivalents of those two policies for desktops that I should consider setting up?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tapedump posted:

Anybody got Eaton UPSes? I came across one who's Intelligent Power Manager shows very short but routine swapping from "system is powered by the utility" to "system is powered by the UPS battery"

For like six seconds, routinely. So, surveying the room, is this more likely to be an UPS problem than a PUD one?

I don't have an Eaton, but my UPSes regularly click on to boost voltage when the AC turns on and causes a little voltage droop. I forget what voltage they switch to automatic voltage regulation and boost the voltage up, but it's likely to either be 110 or 115V. Another device would explain the consistent time period but the source could be any high current draw device. Typically you should look at things with a motor or a compressor or both like a fridge or freezer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tapedump posted:

It's more likely your line voltage dropping out of spec than a UPS problem. You can sometimes set a wider range before the UPS kicks in which will at least stop it wearing out all the relays and batteries, be aware you often need to power the devices down to change that setting though.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yeah, you've got lovely line voltage that's momentarily going out of spec (according to the ups) causing the ups to go to battery. 6sec is probably the minimum length of time on battery.

As mentioned above, see if you can change the good input voltage range on the ups.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a site where we had to lay the law down and say we weren't going to even look at UPS systems until they called an electrician, the company owner had at some point decided they could do a lot of the electrics themselves, so pulled in a cable far too small for the length it was running at and we saw below 200v at the end of it (this is :britain: so that should be around 240v). Add on the draw from other kit kicking in and dips down to 190v weren't uncommon, at which point things would reboot.

As far as I know they still haven't done anything, fixing it would probably only cost a few grand, though a bit more now since copper cable prices have gone a bit mad.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
To be clear, have you visually inspected all the appropriate connections to ensure they're all solid, tight, and in good shape? A loose connection or some corrosion might cause something like this. It may be something you need an actual electrician to check, it may be something you can get eyes on.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you all for the replies, everyone. I have not been there to check physical connections yet. I was rather hoping the issue wasn't the UPS and therefore not directly my responsibility.

Did I mention this was at a 40+ employee electrician's shop? I'm headed there Friday to look closer at what's connected and how it's connected.

I'll report back if there's anything note/cringeworthy.

Thanks again!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, it's definitely the electrical work

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Speaking of Eaton I didn't really withstand the MSP's sale pitch that we just buy a new one instead of replacing the battery bundle on one that was just over 3 years old. It did seem easy enough to do but the CEO did suggest I consult with them since it was going to be pretty expensive to ship and there weren't any local. I dunno having both batteries under warranty again for 2 years and the main UPS for another year after that seemed like peace of mind. Especially given how poorly our previous UPSes performed and how suddenly we don't have a rolling brownout problem we had before (they still happen but it stays up for as long as it says it will).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tapedump posted:

Thank you all for the replies, everyone. I have not been there to check physical connections yet. I was rather hoping the issue wasn't the UPS and therefore not directly my responsibility.

Did I mention this was at a 40+ employee electrician's shop? I'm headed there Friday to look closer at what's connected and how it's connected.

Thanks again!

Before, I was thinking there was a chance the UPS was just flaking out, and something being loose/corroded was just the cheapest/easiest thing to correct.

Now I'm sure it's not the UPS flaking out.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
At my previous job we had a site where the office was on the same breaker as the repair department for welding/plasma cutters. At least once a week, the whole company went dark as that department blew main breaker. I had been telling the owner for years we needed to change that so the office and hardware there wasn't impacted. He only did so after 3 computers, a switch and some stuff didn't power up again after another black-out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the subject of UPSes, I can recommend the APC extended warranties without any reservations at all. The three year extended warranty for a 3kVA Smart UPS Online that cost £2800 was around £200, and it takes the UPS warranty up to six years total including the battery. Considering a battery is £400-500 and is guaranteed to need replacing within six years it's a no brainer.

Schneider Electric ended up getting upset that they were going to leave me waiting two months for a battery due to supply chain issues and so they air freighted a new UPS from France to the UK and had us replace the entire unit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tapedump posted:

Thanks again!

LOL as others have said "Electrician shop" screams to me that they half-rear end everything inside their own shop because it's not billable to someone.

Related story, my parents bought a house after all us kids moved out and they needed to downsize, the house was owned by the cities head electrical inspector or some poo poo like that, he had been an "electrician" for 40 years or whatever; it was somewhat assumed that the electrical was sane.

After they bought they found that the panel was a complete disaster and a huge fire hazard as well as a bunch of other poo poo that the guy did himself and 1/10th assed.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

At work: meticulous cable management in the rack. Hyper detailed networking diagram. wifi site survey done for exact AP placement.

At home: wifi router on the floor, under some clothes. 100ft premade ethernet cable for 25 ft straight line across the room. Switches frequency range to whatever streams netflixs consistently on the toilet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

drat right, I'm not doing my job at home

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I can't think of a good solution to this problem:

We have ~5 web browser based SaaS tools that are used a few times per day, but generally low usage. Theyre all in the $100/mo range. We have two people that use them. The SaaS makers will do things like force change passwords, require 2FA reauth, etc. if you're logged in from different locations and we work remotely. They dont really provide enough value to offer multiple seats.

I need a way to share these. It can be kinda clunky and at least one person will have local access to it at all times.

The best i've come up with so far: Have a local desktop set up with 2 KVMs such that Monitor 1 contains a Chrome tab, mouse 1, keyboard 1 and Monitor 2 contains a chrome tab of the same browser session with mouse 2, keyboard 2. Use one of the tools that allow two mice to control one computer like MouseMux. Figure out some keyboard shortcut for relaunching chrome if it closes.

This seems VERY clunky. Also I have no idea the security reputations of networked KVM providers. Some get pretty pricey, the cheap ones I'm not sure I trust.

Any good ideas? I feel like theres GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Put a desktop in a closet and have everyone rdp to it.

Or just pay for more licenses.

$100/month is barely a fraction of what the people using the tools are going to be paid.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

Put a desktop in a closet and have everyone rdp to it.

Or just pay for more licenses.

$100/month is barely a fraction of what the people using the tools are going to be paid.

$100/mo is nothing. $1000/mo is closer to the actual cost for all of them, and there are some we're holding back on for this exact reason. The problem with RDP is theyre not sharing a browser session, so even though you're from the same computer, you're two different users of that computer. I believe this will still trigger the issue though admittedly haven't tried it.

I'll give that a try now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Windows client OSes (with Windows client multi-session in Windows Virtual Desktop) will only allow 1 RDP session at a time. If they need to use it at the same time, you'll need multiple machines/VMs or something Remote Desktop Services-like.

I'd just set up published apps in Windows Virtual Desktop. I guess it depends on the mechanisms you're describing the SaaS app uses to enforce 1:1 license to user, but I imagine you'll probably have to give it a public IP to route traffic from so it doesn't change. It's hard to recommend without more details.

All that being said, you're trying to get around a company's licensing scheme in order to not pay them for the service you're using. Whatever you come up with will almost certainly be against their licensing agreement, which might cause support or legal issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When you say you have two people that use them, do you mean you're having issues because these people move around and log in from other places and the SaaS providers keep throwing up "you've logged in from a new location, time to reset your password" notifications, or are you trying to share two accounts with multiple people?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

$100/mo is nothing. $1000/mo is closer to the actual cost for all of them, and there are some we're holding back on for this exact reason. The problem with RDP is theyre not sharing a browser session, so even though you're from the same computer, you're two different users of that computer. I believe this will still trigger the issue though admittedly haven't tried it.

I'll give that a try now.

Let's say 5 applications for 5 users at $100/mpu.

I have no idea what these users roles are or what region you're in, so I'm going to assume a salary $50k.

Using a randomly googled tax calculator, we can estimate the tax burden, and get $54k.

That comes to $4500/month

100/4500 is .02

Which estimates the cost of paying for a tool required for this person to do their job to be 1/50th of their salary. This is not counting the dozens of other expenses related to providing an the employee tools they need, or the loss of productivity caused by having to suffer through a janky solution to avoid paying the license fee.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

are you trying to share two accounts with multiple people?

I've been reading it as this, but could be wrong.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could always do SAML SSO and have your IdP ignore all the attributes that are stored in your directory and instead just send the ones that match the licensed user, but this is still a license agreement violation and if you're scraping about to save $100 it's unlikely to subscribe to a tier of the SaaS app that does SSO.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

Let's say 5 applications for 5 users at $100/mpu.

I have no idea what these users roles are or what region you're in, so I'm going to assume a salary $50k.

Using a randomly googled tax calculator, we can estimate the tax burden, and get $54k.

That comes to $4500/month

100/4500 is .02

Which estimates the cost of paying for a tool required for this person to do their job to be 1/50th of their salary. This is not counting the dozens of other expenses related to providing an the employee tools they need, or the loss of productivity caused by having to suffer through a janky solution to avoid paying the license fee.

I appreciate people ITT looking out for the interests of the company ethically, legally, contractually, etc. I can't go into the considerations driving the use case.

The goal is 1 account w/2 users in different locations across 5 or so web based services. These services all have usage limits (e.g. 50 credits per month) that these 2 users will be well under when combined.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbh, we're actually looking out for you

because you're the one that will have to maintain and support whatever solution you choose

and you're the one that will get scapegoated if there's a license violation

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

tbh, we're actually looking out for you

because you're the one that will have to maintain and support whatever solution you choose

and you're the one that will get scapegoated if there's a license violation

TY and you are correct fully on both accounts, but I still need to at least put some effort into a prototype.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For the record most of us have been in your shoes and tried the grand account sharing to avoid paying licenses for software that isn't used a whole lot. On the long road it always ends up with finding an alternative software, or, eventually just either paying that $1000 a month or making one person do all the tasks with that software for $100 (it's almost always this one).

But I agree with doing a prototype first and seeing if it works before having to cross this bridge.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IT'S TIME TO PICK A NEW PHONE SYSTEM :dance:

Other than Teams and Zoom (both of which we already use), anything else worth looking at? With Teams I'd use via CallTower or similar.

50 users, most WFH

These are my requirements

HARDWARE: MUST HAVE
Handsets (Note: while we must have handsets available for specific cases, we do not expect that all users will NEED a handset)
Courtesy phones (lobby, kitchen, etc.)
Conference room phones
Ability for users to sign in to handsets in shared desk situations

HARDWARE: Nice to have
Receptionist phone

SOFTWARE: MUST HAVE
Admin usage dashboard
Voicemail to email (recording)
Voicemail to email (transcription)
Electronic faxing
Mobile app

SOFTWARE: NICE TO HAVE
Single sign-on with M365/Duo
SMS capability
Granular usage dashboard
Call recording
Call supervision
Configurable music-on-hold
Support sub-tenants / separate directories

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

We have ~5 web browser based SaaS tools that are used a few times per day, but generally low usage. Theyre all in the $100/mo range. We have two people that use them. The SaaS makers will do things like force change passwords, require 2FA reauth, etc. if you're logged in from different locations and we work remotely. They dont really provide enough value to offer multiple seats.

I need a way to share these. It can be kinda clunky and at least one person will have local access to it at all times.

I worked somewhere where this was done with a SurveyMonkey account. SurveyMonkey only allowed up to three trusted devices, so whenever someone logged in, they had to authenticate (and MFA) and then un-trust one of the three devices. The solution was to have the MFA (one-time email) go to a shared mailbox that goes to all the SurveyMonkey users.

If you absolutely have to share the account, I would recommend doing that with a shared mailbox for the MFA. Yes it's clunky, but I think any other solution would be even clunkier.

And needless to say I agree with everyone else who said just pay for the extra licenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nvrgrls posted:

IT'S TIME TO PICK A NEW PHONE SYSTEM :dance:

Pay 8x8 a lot of money, you can hook it up to Teams as well if you want.

Usually I'd say 3CX is worth looking at if you're happy to self-host, but they constantly change their vendor of the month as far as handset support goes and I'm just not interested in desk phones that aren't Cisco or Poly.