Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Binary Badger posted:

Try this:

https://osxdaily.com/2020/05/12/disable-red-badge-icon-system-preferences-macos/

Yeah, Apple is just cleaning up after themselves, after all, Monterey isn't supposed to run on anything with an nVidia GPU anyways.

Dortania says I'm not supposed to be able to run it on a MacBook Pro 11,2 but he seems to forget they made a submodel for the cheap buttheads with JUST an Iris Pro and no nVidia.

My question is 'What's going to happen when I have to do a reboot?" I don't want the update to install and bork itself. Disabling the badge on the icon is all well and good, but I have a 12GB download sitting and waiting to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Go to the Applications folder and delete 'Install macOS Monterey.app'

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll give those a shot. I was leaning towards Windows in a VM, but really, I'm trying to get as far away from Windows as possible. If that means learning Automator/Shortcuts and AppleScript, so be it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

Goons,

I'm getting prompted to install 12.5 on my next restart. Thing is, I'm running 12.4 via OCLP and it's explicitly verboten to install 12.5 a.t.m as the Nvidia drivers are broken.

How do I tell software update to 'forget' the 12.5 update download so my Mac won't attempt to update after the next reboot and disappear up its own rear end?

Where does software update store these downloads? I've just unchecked all the 'auto-download' and 'autoupdate' boxes. I could just delete the download.

Using the command line is not a problem. Input appreciated.

If you don't have that box labeled "Automatically keep my Mac up-to-date" checked then the Mac will not update by itself. Period. At least in my experience. It's not like Windows where Windows will sneak in an update on reboot. I do not think Macs do that at all, even with the box checked.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

If you don't have that box labeled "Automatically keep my Mac up-to-date" checked then the Mac will not update by itself. Period. At least in my experience. It's not like Windows where Windows will sneak in an update on reboot. I do not think Macs do that at all, even with the box checked.

Yeah I think all that box does is allow the OS to check for and download the update, it will never install without your active involvement.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I think all that box does is allow the OS to check for and download the update, it will never install without your active involvement.

This is exactly the case. Thank you. My system rebooted due to a power outage and did not install the downloaded update. I had previously unchecked all the relevant boxes.

Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have two monitors and I keep a safari window open on one to monitor some stuff. But all of my active browsing happens on the other screen. Unfortunately, when the window on the second monitor is open and I command-n to get a new safari window, it opens it on the wrong screen and I have to drag it to the one I want to use it on. Is there a way to force a program or even the os to always create new windows on a certain screen?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can right click the dock icon and select Options > Assign to: This Desktop but I'm not sure if that will actually work with multiple monitors or if it's only a space / virtual desktop setting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there any just basic winamp like program for mac? i have clementine but it still has a bunch of crap on it i don't want, and it's ugly as hell. I don't use music/itunes mainly because there's no way to stop it from autoplaying when switching to bluetooth, so I have it disabled

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IINA looks pretty slick, but it's probably not the best option if you're looking for something that handles a huge library or playlists (or metadata) well. It plays videos as well (and is probably use more for that purpose as a VLC alternative). Elmedia is another similar option (both audio/video w/ relatively basic feature set).

Colibri can play a ton of different formats including things like MOD files (old chiptune stuff) and MIDI w/ SoundFonts, has some advanced options for playback/quality (BS2B, good gapless implementation, replaygain), decent OS integration, GUI isn't too ugly if you pick a theme without crazy colors (but it's not a beautiful app by any means either), but it doesn't offer library management or even the ability to edit metadata (you'd need a separate app for that like mp3tag if you care). It's more for playing folders or playlists.

If you care about libraries and library management I know Swinsian is an alternative to Clementine. I've heard good things but I haven't really spent time trying it out personally.

Doppler is one that kinda strikes a balance between simple music player that also can handle libraries and library management. IIRC I tried this out and one downside is it doesn't really work at all if you don't want it to manage a library for you (and I think you essentially can't use it w/o a library). Could be misremembering here though.

Aural is a player that I believe is made to be like Winamp, but I'm not sure how actively it's supported.

A lot of these are paid software, but at least not too expensive and a one time fee. I left out subscription software and some super expensive options.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 5, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks! i'll look those up

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 4, 2022

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

actionjackson posted:

is there any just basic winamp like program for mac? i have clementine but it still has a bunch of crap on it i don't want, and it's ugly as hell. I don't use music/itunes mainly because there's no way to stop it from autoplaying when switching to bluetooth, so I have it disabled

There's also foobar for Mac: https://www.foobar2000.org/mac

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I like Cog. It's a basic music player.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

lignicolos posted:

I thought Cog was dead, but it looks like someone picked it up and it's back under active development? That's awesome!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lignicolos posted:

is there a reason why cog won't let me remove some stuff from the toolbar? like the randomize button, or spectrum

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lord Bude posted:

Just use the iPad awful app on your Mac if you have an AS mac. It’s great.

Huh this is a great shout. Works super nicely. Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how do I get to the reset bluetooth module option now? the previous key combination isn't working for me anymore, and my bluetooth has started acting up a ton just today, for some reason

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
For anyone that cares.. OCLP just released 0.4.10 which addresses the Kepler nVidia issue when installing Monterey 12.5

My machine was affected and I just updated with no issues at all.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Newb here, how do I get Transmission to install as an actual application? I did the drag .dmg file to Applications but just seem to have a temporary app installed in a folder. I have a Transmission…drive? on my desktop. It doesn’t actually appear in Applications.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

knox_harrington posted:

Newb here, how do I get Transmission to install as an actual application? I did the drag .dmg file to Applications but just seem to have a temporary app installed in a folder. I have a Transmission…drive? on my desktop. It doesn’t actually appear in Applications.

Open the Trasmission "drive" (this is the open .dmg file), drag the Transmission application within into your applications folder. Eject and delete the .dmg file, and launch Transmission from Applications.

This is how (many) Mac apps work. The .dmg is a disk image, think of it like inserting a CD, but then just dragging the .exe onto your computer instead of running an installer.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

knox_harrington posted:

A DMG file is a Disk Image. When you double click on it, it opens as a virtual drive which contains the application. Drag the application icon from the Transmission window to your Applications folder, and then eject the Transmission drive (drag it to the trash).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aaah got it. Done. Thanks!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

knox_harrington posted:

That icon you dragged across is the whole application. If you right click it there's a show package contents option. Thatll show you all the files and resources for that application. You very rarely need to go in there. Think of it like the folder that Windows would create but it's abstracted away because Mac is about simpler.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

how do I get to the reset bluetooth module option now? the previous key combination isn't working for me anymore, and my bluetooth has started acting up a ton just today, for some reason

oh, my other question would be to I still need to rely on notunes to stop music from launching when I connect a bluetooth device? what a stupid design. also cog starts playing as well but w/e

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it’s a but ridiculous that BT device manufacturers still insist upon sending a “play” signal upon connection.

People use headphones and speakers for a lot more than just playing music.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I haven’t had Bluetooth headphone start playing stuff on connection in years. I have AirPods and Bose headphones I use so maybe it’s just some crappy headphones doing it?

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

Yeah it’s a but ridiculous that BT device manufacturers still insist upon sending a “play” signal upon connection.

People use headphones and speakers for a lot more than just playing music.

Isn't that an Apple issue? I don't think the devices are sending a "play" signal, at least I've never had the issue with non-Apple devices.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I haven’t had Bluetooth headphone start playing stuff on connection in years. I have AirPods and Bose headphones I use so maybe it’s just some crappy headphones doing it?

i never said anything about headphones, this is a yamaha receiver

Violator
May 15, 2003

Makes me super angry every time my phone connects to my car and auto plays the first song in my library. Will love when I get CarPlay some day to avoid this issue. I tried setting up a shortcut to at least play a random song in a specific playlist but it requires user authorization every time since it connects to an external device so it’s worthless. Ended up naming a 5 minute track of silence so it would appear at the top of my library.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve had a Mac for a few months now and The only time I’ve ever had anything stop or start on me when putting on my AirPods max was videos playing in an open tab - YouTube/Netflix etc automatically pausing and resuming when I take the headphones off for a sec then put them back on which is pretty cool.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
My 2017 macbook pro never goes fully to sleep. i notice this on my pc or when i open the macbook since I see it has been connected to IRC for hours when it's actually supposed to be in sleep mode., or randomly joining/disconnecting to IRC.

I have done the stuff google search tells me to check Battery/Power settings, SMC reset etc. Is there any other possible culprits? The IRC client I use on my macbook is Lime Chat.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is “Wake for network access” enabled? https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-your-mac-resources-when-its-in-sleep-mh27905/mac

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

knox_harrington posted:

When you come from the PC world, installing apps on Macs is so quick and easy it feels like you can't have done it properly.

Except stuff like Adobe, who managed to replicate the pain from their Windows installers.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Considering that person had to ask on a forum on how to do it, doesn't seem intuitive to newbies.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's not particularly intuitive to PC users until you do it once, which is why most application dmgs have the Applications folder shortcut in there with a little "Drag To Here" background image.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This was the issue, I did that drag-dmg-to-applications thing to install the program. However it just created a drive with the program in it. Per the instructions here I then dragged the program, again, into the applications folder.

It’s installed like a normal program now but it was not at all intuitive as I had already followed the Mac process.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

This was the issue, I did that drag-dmg-to-applications thing to install the program. However it just created a drive with the program in it. Per the instructions here I then dragged the program, again, into the applications folder.

It’s installed like a normal program now but it was not at all intuitive as I had already followed the Mac process.

Yeah dont drag the dmg in. Double click the dmg to mount it, then drag the program into the applications folder.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

I have disabled it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah dont drag the dmg in. Double click the dmg to mount it, then drag the program into the applications folder.

That's what I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

von Braun posted:

My 2017 macbook pro never goes fully to sleep. i notice this on my pc or when i open the macbook since I see it has been connected to IRC for hours when it's actually supposed to be in sleep mode., or randomly joining/disconnecting to IRC.

I have done the stuff google search tells me to check Battery/Power settings, SMC reset etc. Is there any other possible culprits? The IRC client I use on my macbook is Lime Chat.

Go to the Terminal and type in " pmset -g ". If a process is preventing sleep, pmset (the system power-management utility) will tell you what it is.

Once you know that, then you can figure out what to do with the process in question. Even if nothing is preventing sleep, the settings listed there will tell you why your computer might or might not be sleeping.

(If you do try this and post the result here, we might be able to give advice.)