Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

Fancy UK online grocery company are selling this system in USA now I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E

once again dahir insaat was just ahead of its time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yet another thing on the pile of things they already know about you, and some huge ml machine will grind away to at first try to sell you a new couch because it'll fit just right in that one spot, but eventually it'll based on some hoarder pattern figure out you have certain mental health issues which lets it sell you on some scam it has figured out you're predisposed to, and so on the wheels keep grinding.

with wifi signal monitoring and fluctuations they could get rough room layouts and movement patterns, feasible when an occupant has alexa speakers in a Mbundu of rooms. this just makes it easier to correlate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jeffy b just wants to know if and when anyone is watching prime video. it should be as important to your life as it was to his

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

would be cool if they used these as stealth guns in a movie, it's what silencers in movies pretend to be

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

mod saas posted:

“i, personally, cannot imagine how this kind of data collection could be bad, therefore you are making a big deal out of nothing. yes this is the place where people unironically post the ‘shoot the printer’ tweet, why do you ask?” :smug:

that's not what i'm saying

it was a genuine question

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
floor plan layouts, dirt distributions that indicate foot traffic patterns, presence of animal hair that may indicate a large dog, all things that cops absolutely would like to have when noknocking to come execute some dsa person or whatever.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if that info isn't free that's money that could go toward military cosplay gear, and overuse
of force works if they know there's a dog or not, or where people are normally (they'll always shoot the dog)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah I feel like that's a level of intel sophistication cops don't need, want, or would take advantage of if they had

you can learn who lives there and if there's a dog by staking the place out for a few days and there's no reasonable floor plan that would make kicking the door in and shooting the place up harder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok then

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

keep in mind there are different tiers of cops in america. there's jimbo the part time klansman's sheriffs department who won't bother with things like intel gathering. then there's the US marshals who will happily take any intel they can get to make extrajudicially executing you because the president tweeted about it. then there's the feds who will get that intel one way or another.

it's that middle tier you've gotta worry about amazon selling your roomba pickup composition and floorplan to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
regardless of what it would be used for we shouldn't be letting companies capture more data on us

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

yeah I feel like that's a level of intel sophistication cops don't need, want, or would take advantage of if they had

i agree with this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

regardless of what it would be used for we shouldn't be letting companies capture more data on us

also this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Improbable Lobster posted:

yep

theres no good reason to collect the data, so just dont

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i see basically no realistic threat in law enforcement having roomba-based data. but gently caress you that's my house, get your greedy datapaws out of here ya creep, aka

Carthag Tuek posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carthag Tuek posted:

yep

they could potentially make a better ai driven robot vacuum cleaner

which is the dumbest thing to imagine. Just make it dumb

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Antlerhill posted:

on the roomba thing, what is the actual private information that is the concern?

why is it important that cops might find out i have a sofa in my kitchen and 17 half eaten pizzas in my bedroom?

is it the architectural layout of the house? why does that matter to anyone? surely they could just get the drawings from the municipal government if they needed it for some reason

the roomba's going to start asking you if you need to order more pizza

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the roomba thing is weird. I haven't paid any attention to them but when they first came out they just had some random bounce around thing that worked fine in practice so i assumed that was what they still did, but i guess they persist the data now to learn about the floorplan?

Anyway, heres what you should get instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rotor posted:

the roomba thing is weird. I haven't paid any attention to them but when they first came out they just had some random bounce around thing that worked fine in practice so i assumed that was what they still did, but i guess they persist the data now to learn about the floorplan?

yeah the very earliest roombas were barely smarter than those toy robots that reverse and turn when they hit something. they were just enough more complicated than that that if you let it run for an hour it would have covered every square inch of your floor at least once, probably. the more recent ones are smarter and do build internal maps that inform future runs

there's no reason to upload those maps to the internet, though. maybe to migrate them to a brand new roomba and skip the learning phase

I had one that was theoretically capable of being triggered remotely through an app, which is why it would be connected to the internet at all, but in practice you have to clear the floor of anything it might get hung up on or try to eat so it was never practical to run unsupervised anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the roomba app to tell it to vacuum and them mop my kitchen which is a cool thing it can do cause of the mapping

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i mean, your concerns/expectations are well-founded. i think kazinsal's tiers probably map well to the type that would want that info. locals just seem pigheaded enough to not care either way

Achmed Jones posted:

but gently caress you that's my house, get your greedy datapaws out of here ya creep, aka

yeah, that plus room-by-room speakers just makes for an incredibly specific understanding of a place. add in smart bulbs etc. tied to an internet-required platform like amazon or google and, even outside of law enforcement abuse, there's incredible potential for misuse

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Roosevelt posted:

the roomba's going to start asking you if you need to order more pizza

the roomba's going to start refusing to clean the floor unless you turn on the tv and watch a 3 minute advert for mcdonalds

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the cheapest roombas are still dumb models that do random spirals to clean, works well enough for my place

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just use a shopvac

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

i just use a shopvac

for what tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mostly vacuuming

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

for what tho

date night :heysexy:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/neom/status/1551659067877228545

:hmmno:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
NEOM more like NEOP

https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1557112809132945408

https://twitter.com/qilinreggae/status/1557259476146606080?s=20&t=cEvBEIDiA7g-3GVNSmM2XQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/TheMattBungard/status/1556123420315725824?s=20&t=dDjq54m9lkk-FICVn7qp5w

"cum levels: refractory"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's for jonny 290

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the replies get heated in that thread! i'm not defending or attacking it, but if it wasn't so gadgety, it could be helpful for my one grandparent that has hydration problems. granted, a bottle with a little timer and a meter would work

the app-based interaction is the hook, of course. if it's only for logging purposes, waterminder or a million other apps will do that and dump to a health.app without a gewgaw

i've known people that use them as trackers for consistent hydration/water consumption. the benefit is that it should track to a daily goal and have tailored nudges, not just say 'bottle half full!' in an app. if that's worth $110 is left as an exercise for the reader

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

the replies get heated in that thread! i'm not defending or attacking it, but if it wasn't so gadgety, it could be helpful for my one grandparent that has hydration problems. granted, a bottle with a little timer and a meter would work

the app-based interaction is the hook, of course. if it's only for logging purposes, waterminder or a million other apps will do that and dump to a health.app without a gewgaw

i've known people that use them as trackers for consistent hydration/water consumption. the benefit is that it should track to a daily goal and have tailored nudges, not just say 'bottle half full!' in an app. if that's worth $110 is left as an exercise for the reader

https://twitter.com/dglaucomflecken/status/1366100967909777408

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

it's for jonny 290

lacroix comes in cans, chief

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jonny 290 posted:

lacroix comes in cans, chief