Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, also the gender politics are about as nuanced as a Lockhorns cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spime Wrangler posted:

you sound like of those hussies with a plunging neckline who could use her bottom striped!!

The cleavage dilated.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fwiw the new readers/spoiler tags thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983558
and the spoilers are totes okay thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992

in case you want to discuss the books including or other than the well hashed grounds already being noted

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a decent tolerance for generic fantasy but I've read the first two WoT books and I'm really undecided on continuing. I thought they were both pretty bland, though Great Hunt picked up and did some interesting stuff near the end. I just can't decide if it's worth reading any more, I've heard that reading through the third book does kind of give you a decent stopping point so maybe I'll do that. Or never touch them again. There are so many good books out there that I struggle to give the free time I have to Robert Jordan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wheel of Time was revolutionary and new in a big way . . In 1990.

Gandalf is a woman! The hero is unpopular and has ptsd! We're referencing non-nordic mythology and cultures!

That stuff was all groundbreaking in 1990 but it's standard fare now. I still think the series is worth reading but mostly for the mount-everest-effect of it; its so big and so much of a muchness that reading it start to finish is a kind of reader's marathon, a fairly unique experience few other things offer because few other things even attempt to offer that kind of scope or duration.

But I'm never gonna tell anyone they have to read wheel of time. Not anymore anyway. I did say that to people in like 1991. We aren't in 1991 any more.

The one caveat I'll add is that Eye was deliberately written to be the standard familiar farmboy fantasy to bring readers familiar with Tolkien and other conventional stuff. The series does get progressively more and more it's own thing with each book. But even then it isn't for everyone and that's fine. Wait and watch the TV show.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 9, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Time spent reading wot is time you could be spending reading Conan. Consider that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Taffy Torpedo posted:

I want to read more of Janny Wurts' stuff but I'm not really ready to start a 14 book series or however long her Wars of Light and Shadow series is.

Lol I just did this, and didn't realize what I had gotten myself into. If you do i'd love to hear what you think. I just finished book 1.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Time spent reading wot is time you could be spending reading Conan. Consider that

This is a compelling argument for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another issue with WoT is it's got that PoV character syndrome, where you're reading a really good part of the story that has action and consequences and you turn the page and it's a loving Perrin chapter, oh and he just doesn't understand women does he. No sir he does not.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It sure is frustrating, especially since Matt always knew how to handle women, or Rand.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I read the first two books then skipped to a later one because it's what the library had, and as far as I remember it was an entire doorstopper fantasy book where literally nothing happened

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Qwertycoatl posted:

I read the first two books then skipped to a later one because it's what the library had, and as far as I remember it was an entire doorstopper fantasy book where literally nothing happened

Ah. Good ol' Crossroads.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Spime Wrangler posted:

It sure is frustrating, especially since Matt always knew how to handle women, or Rand.

lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I also got as far as book 6 before I dropped it.

I was tempted to reread it after I watched the TV series, which I thought was fine. Possibly because I would find Rosamund Pike watchable reading a telephone directory.

But one look at the listing on Amazon and I was "Nope!". I will settle for whatever abridged TV version we get. The Sanderson books may be great, I ain't wading through X' thousands of pages to get to them.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XMDG3MH/

Countdown City (Last Policeman #2) by Ben H Winters - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6OV90E/

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I picked up The Eye of the World when it first came out. After a while, I noticed I was on page 150 and literally nothing had happened. That was as far as I ever got into the series.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Selachian posted:

I picked up The Eye of the World when it first came out. After a while, I noticed I was on page 150 and literally nothing had happened. That was as far as I ever got into the series.

I think I got maybe 6-7 books into the series but I can't for the life of me recall in detail any specific thing that happened in it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I havent gotten into Discworld before but i just read Guards Guards and loved it. Have had Small Gods recommended, where else to keep reading?

IMO just start at the beginning and read in publication order. If you find the first book too dated to enjoy (it very much riffing on specific fantasy authors/characters/books which are not, I think, as widely read these days, and a lot of the characters and setting elements hadn't really gelled yet, like Death) skip ahead to Mort and read from there.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Pyramids, Going Postal, Guards, Guards, and the Tiffany Aching books are the must reads, in my opinion.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd agree with Going Postal and Guards, Guards for sure. I haven't read the Aching books so I can't speak to those, but Pyramids didn't really do anything for me, I found it kind of flat and forgettable personally.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree with Going Postal and Guards, Guards for sure. I haven't read the Aching books so I can't speak to those, but Pyramids didn't really do anything for me, I found it kind of flat and forgettable personally.

I just really find the camel jokes top notch. Its got a great Death scene too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MartingaleJack posted:

I just really find the camel jokes top notch.

To be fair, I can't argue with the camel jokes. A lot of the other humor didn't hit for me. I do think Pyramids is maybe the one Pratchett that suffers the most from having some specific British cultural touchstones, but maybe that was just me being a dumb American.

Also I think that type of Pratchett novel is the type I like the least--largely one-off books that center all the humor around a single subject or area of knowledge. They just don't stand well on their own merits IMO. I was also lukewarm on Moving Pictures and Soul Music, despite the latter having some really clever references that I intellectually enjoyed.

On the other hand, I work in live theater occasionally and absolutely loved Wyrd Sisters and Lords and Ladies so maybe it's just about hitting the right notes for any given reader.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Thief of Time is my favourite. I still think about Lu-Tze's advice every time I'm sweeping the floor.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The books may seem funny but Pratchett's secular humanism is spiritually corrosive.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

The accountant character was especially flat. :dadjoke:

To me, Pyramids reads like a set of ideas that never really coalesced into a complete plot, or maybe like a beta version of Small Gods. I think I read somewhere that Pratchett wrote his first drafts before he figured out where the plot was going, and polished them up afterwards, which would explain a lot about this one especially.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

FPyat posted:

The books may seem funny but Pratchett's secular humanism is spiritually corrosive.

If there's one thing I'm always thinking about when reading Pratchett it's the thin line he walks between being a secular humanist and a card carrying member of the church of Anoia.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FPyat posted:

Say whaa

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The passage about the cheap vs expensive boots was life-changing when I was 17

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

John C Wright sock puppet spotted?
http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/10/the-watchtowers-of-atlantis-tremble/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

I made that joke because I went to an Evangelical school where teachers would warn students that Harry Potter would reduce their awareness of the dangers of real witchcraft. I never actually saw much in the way of Christian backlash against Pratchett before reading that post, so I was trying to imagine what my Lewis & Chesterton loving educators would say if they read Small Gods or Wyrd Sisters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

The passage about the cheap vs expensive boots was life-changing when I was 17

Same.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

I love reading John C Wright. Even though he has brainworms. Maybe because he has brainworms? I don't know, the guy occupies this bizarre space where he's so preposterously ludicrous that I experience this weird doubt-edging when I read his words or read about him... like it has to be this amazing grandiose act of satire, right? Right? The fedora, the grandstanding, the just-on-the-cusp of institutionalizeable(sure that's a word) pants-on-head insanity, the white hot Catholicism boner he developed late in life, the plots of his more recent books, just... it can't really be real, right?

It is, of course. Whatever mind monster from Dimension Z that ate his previous psyche after it finished with Dan Simmons left this weird homunculus behind that blogs like this and writes things like Somewither, a book that has been basically scraped from reality (except for Kindle Unlimited, lol) and a book that is like 1/3 transcendentally amazing Babylonpunk Sci-Fi, 1/3 The Shittiest YA Novel You Ever Read and 1/3 The Creepiest Schoolteacher Wants to Spank Teenage Girls Chronicles. It's not good! Don't read it!

And yet, I cannot look away.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
There is a new, and pretty decent as far as I can tell, bundle over at StoryBundle: The Dark SF Bundle

quote:

Science fiction has dabbled in utopia before, but never as often as people might think. The early writers' visions of the future were often dire. There was Asimov's crumbling galactic empire in Foundation, or his murder-driven The Caves of Steel with its claustrophobically enclosed city. Philip K. Dick's nightmares took form in print, paranoid horror-like tales of a shifting reality in classics like Ubik or The Man in the High Castle. Richard Matheson's I Am Legend imagined the last man on Earth haunted by vampires.

There is a certain darkness to much good SF, an underlying sense that, beneath the glimmering golden surface of spaceships and robots and towers reaching up to the skies there is a shadow, and it will always be there, and might engulf us all. Once it might have been fear of the Bomb, now perhaps of cataclysmic climate collapse. War was then, and is now. Not much has changed. But dark SF has within it, too, a dark seduction. There is a place, it seems to whisper, for the cozy, the cheerful and optimistic in your heart. But deep down you know the truth. Things don't end well. Sit down. Relax. Read a book and wait for your inevitable extinction. What else is there to do?

The writers gathered here have all written some pretty dark stuff in their time, but what I hope you find here is a collection of science fiction tales as fine as any you may wish to encounter here at the start of the new twenties, with all the chaos our reality currently exhibits. This is science fiction with an edge – as science fiction must be, if it is to be relevant! And it comes from some of the top names in the field. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

– Lavie Tidhar

$5 gives you
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall by Nancy Kress
  • One Day All This Will Be Yours by Adrian Tchaikovsky
  • Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project Book 6) edited by Jonathan Strahan
  • Genocidal Organ by Project Itoh

$20 gives you the above as well as
  • The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts
  • The Second Shooter by Nick Mamatas
  • Skyward Inn by Aliya Whiteley
  • Martian Sands by Lavie Tidhar
  • Plague Birds by Jason Sanford
  • The Fate of Mice by Susan Palwick

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
So I read Vita Nostra by the Dyachenkos and I've ordered The Scar by them too. Does anyone have some other recommendations for fantasy that wasn't originally written in english?

Also unrelated question: How does Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams hold up? I gather it was pretty influential but is it worth a read?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A friend of mine was trying to explain Riverdale to me and accidentally provided the perfect example of why I like the anti-Sandersonian approach to magic

quote:

Anyhow in episode 100, "The Jughead Paradox," it is revealed that the bomb that Veronica's crime boss dad set off under archie's bed in an attempt to kill him resulted in a sort of second big bang that created a parallel universe, almost exactly the name only the town was called, "Rivervale"

this happened because archie was busy loving at the time in that bed, had a chunk of palladium sitting on his desk, and the town was under a curse, and "such a potent combination of primary forces -- sex, death, science, magic -- could not but have such consequences"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Also unrelated question: How does Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams hold up? I gather it was pretty influential but is it worth a read?

I've read at least 50 pages of it and how do you feel about reading a doorstopper fantasy epic by the world's most verbose man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taffy Torpedo posted:

From what I recall it occupies a fairly similar space to early Wheel of Time: decently executed farmboy fantasy that was novel and good in the 90s.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
IIRC Tad Williams invented that thing where the doorstopper author realises it won't all fit in the last book of tbe trilogy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I read Locklands and the Big U this week.

Locklands was ok, liked that it tied everything up in 3 books and didn't extend itself out into a endless fantasy series. The timeskips in Locklands and the earlier first two books in the series didn't bother me, that's Robert Jackson Bennett's writing thing.

Started off enjoying the Big U, then read it for morbid completions sake after the rape attempt scene happened. What the gently caress Neal Stephenson.
Before that point it was oddly engaging and full of cleverish pokes at college environment life/college faculty and students living in a different reality than non-college people, after that the Big U became recognizably Neal Stephenson-esque with everyone morphed into complete psychopath villains or morphed into hyper-competent urban combat badasses or existed to make the hyper-competent characters go places. Other than that, the pocket tank was a cute concept for the 6 pages it existed and the sewer LARPing before the giant mutant rats appeared was amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I recall it occupies a fairly similar space to early Wheel of Time: decently executed farmboy fantasy that was novel and good in the 90s.

I think I read the first two books in high school and it was just a dull slog. But that was in high school AKA 35+ years ago. I might need to give it a second go but right now I'm on an Ethshar kick which is pretty much the opposite of door-stopper fantasy.