Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do condoms really help with sexually transmitted ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Is this new for the Switch port? That sounds awesome!

it's part of the World Explosion release

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

piL posted:

You mean SEUs?

"Search Engine: Uridium?" Now that's old school, but it was definitely of the first I ever played.

EDIT - Much easier on an emu with a controller than it ever was on a C64 with a joystick, holy poo poo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Saoshyant posted:

Pick anything from this list, it's five pages long.

aces of the luftwaffe and skyforce fit the ops requirements

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

I played this a lot in the early days of the switch when not much was available. It's ok, and was fairly cheap. Feels a little mobile gamey at times.

It's the best shmup on android
I'll add that I really enjoyed a bunch of shmups on my old computer. Had mame working pretty well. Donpachi and dodonpachi, strikers 1945 II (3 never clicked), dragon blaze, gunbird2, and 19xx (no Capcom shooter love here?)
Jamestown is good on steam.
And I just got a switch, so time for some new shmups.
I have loved these games since life-force on nes, but have always been pretty bad. Oh well. Having fun dieing.

Oh, and I hope I can play online head to head with that switch version of twinkle star sprites.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 7, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I used to play 1943 on NES back in the day and it's a major reason that I never played shmups seriously as I aged. Anything with tiny bullets drives me crazy now. Tried Loop Master on the Capcom Arcade collection and it doesn't really do it for me.

Just picked up Mushihimesama for Switch and I have a flipgrip arriving on Monday :getin:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ineptitude posted:

I grew up with Raptor and while i really enjoy bullet hell games i have always enjoyed upgrade your poo poo games more (i.e. you shoot enemies and get money and buy better guns between levels)

https://imgur.com/gallery/I1RW4Dj

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

It's the best shmup on android
:raise: Tried Aka to Blue?

quote:

I'll add that I really enjoyed a bunch of shmups on my old computer. Had mame working pretty well. Donpachi and dodonpachi, strikers 1945 II (3 never clicked), dragon blaze, gunbird2, and 19xx (no Capcom shooter love here?)
Jamestown is good on steam.
And I just got a switch, so time for some new shmups.
I have loved these games since life-force on nes, but have always been pretty bad. Oh well. Having fun dieing.

Oh, and I hope I can play online head to head with that switch version of twinkle star sprites.
Do Capcom published shooters like Mars Matrix, Progear, and Cannon Spike count? :v:

I don't think the ACA Neo-Geo releases have online unfortunately. There is a newer indie game you might like though, Rival Megagun...but I don't think it has cross play so might be hard to find a game on Switch unless you can coordinate with people to match up. It's half off right now at least.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'm not that much of a SHMUP player, but a while ago everyone I know who are fans were very excited about Drainius.

The gimmick is that you can hold down a guard button to absorb enemy bullets for a time, and when you let go, you unleash all the damage you absorbed back at the enemies. Seems fun and accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mky95Em3E-A&t=290s

The Postman
May 12, 2007

victrix posted:

This thread and playing Monolith made me go check and apparently Cho Ren Sha 68k got an update to Win10 compatibility at some point... but it looks like the dev's original page is toast. I got it off an archive site and yep, works fine

https://shmups.wiki/library/Cho_Ren_Sha_68K#Download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIjLUsH2yI

Gotta be one of the oldest fan shooters out there, and what an absurdly good game for a solo effort in the mid 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HO5aMd1Osk

Definitely seconding Cho Ren Sha 68k. Someone introduced it to me ages ago and I think it's the first one that actually kind of clicked for me.

I'm still trash at the genre in general, but if it weren't for this game I probably wouldn't have any interest in trying new ones.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Bit of a late reply, but thanks for the recommendations about early 2000s style shooters. Ever up going with Psyvariar Delta since it was on sale.

Man, this game has insane value for money at this price. Three variations with different enemy placements, bulletpatterns, backgrounds and soundtrack? Sure. Branching paths? Why the hell not. It is going to take me ages to get everything out of this, so I'm happy.

Also never realized that the graze-the-bullet mechanic I love from Danmaku Unlimited 3 originated here. It's been fun playing a few stages of one and then going back to the other, taking some newly learned skills with me.

In other news, I tried the demo for Swuadron 51 on Steam the other day and it has my interest. It is definitely a euroshmup, with a big focus on upgrading your plane, but I LOVE the style. It's a 50s b-movie like Earth Versus The Flying Saucers, complete with black and white FMV cutscenes and UFOs that move as if they're held up by a single wire.

It kind of reminds me of Sine Mora EX, but without the time manipulation and a way lighter vibe.

Speaking of, I frequently see people bring Sine Mora up as an example of a bad shmup, but don't really get it. It was the first game that I 1cc'd in challenge mode and I kind of respect how completely out there the story is. It is dead serious about telling a story about genocide, trauma and mourning through characters that might be human or aliens or giant talking animals flying prop planes. Make of that what you will, but it definitely meant a lot to someone and that someone was completely sincere when making the game. Is it the flight physics that trip people up?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i loved a game called Tyrian when i was a little kid, are there any more shmups like that where you get to upgrade your ship instead of it being all temporary powerups?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i loved a game called Tyrian when i was a little kid, are there any more shmups like that where you get to upgrade your ship instead of it being all temporary powerups?

i'm not the biggest fan of euroSHMUPs, but Raptor (DOSBox) and maybe Jets'n'Guns (Steam, horizontal scrolling) would fit the bill?

also, check out Skyforce Reloaded on Steam for a more modern take.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Yup this is its own sub genre “Euro SHMUPs”. Personally loved raptor, but these games usually had huge amounts of enemy HP and a big health bar and were less about the dodging and more about making sure you have the right equipment and load out. Tyrian had a great soundtrack too

https://shmups.wiki/library/Euroshmups

Oddly enough Jets n Guns which was meant to be a retro throwback is now older than Tyrian was when it came out

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Tyrian 2000 is free these days and still fun: https://www.gog.com/en/game/tyrian_2000 I keep a copy on my rg351p and it plays great.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Speaking of, I frequently see people bring Sine Mora up as an example of a bad shmup, but don't really get it. It was the first game that I 1cc'd in challenge mode and I kind of respect how completely out there the story is. It is dead serious about telling a story about genocide, trauma and mourning through characters that might be human or aliens or giant talking animals flying prop planes. Make of that what you will, but it definitely meant a lot to someone and that someone was completely sincere when making the game. Is it the flight physics that trip people up?

the only really legit complaint I can think of is that the shots don't autofire. you need a controller with rapid fire for the game difficulty to be reasonable unless you have robot thumbs. at least that was the case with the original release. given the time it came out, people also might have been disappointed in it's lack of loli content.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

Tyrian 2000 is free these days and still fun: https://www.gog.com/en/game/tyrian_2000 I keep a copy on my rg351p and it plays great.

Also Daniel Cook released all the graphics he did for it as open source on his Lost Garden blog.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is Traffic Department 2192 a SHMUP?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

twin stick shooters are generally not. being able to reverse direction ala defender and certain iterations of darius is the limit in directions your ship can travel

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Voice of Labor posted:

twin stick shooters are generally not. being able to reverse direction ala defender and certain iterations of darius is the limit in directions your ship can travel

Well that's too bad. I would have thrown that on the recommendations, but there's more than enough quality SHMUPs to go through even without it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Rayforce is the best shmup on android because Aka to Blue doesn’t have an arcade mode :colbert:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Eurogamer has a nice overview of several Switch releases quite different from those in the OP: https://www.eurogamer.net/the-switch-remains-the-best-console-for-shmups-since-the-saturn-and-these-are-some-of-the-best

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The developer spent a lot of time hyping the game to niche communities and namedropping a lot of Japanese arcade games but the game plays like and makes all the same uninformed design decisions as every crappy euroshmup.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The ending to Raystorm is comedy gold. After you do the requisite shmup “destroy the planet core” final boss, it regales you with the literal billions of civilian deaths you just caused, and that there are no means of saving any of the survivors from their eminent deaths.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Any recommendations for good shmups on Android?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Bullet Hell Monday and Danmaku Unlimited 3 seem to be the top recs for native mobile. If you're down for emulation Android is great for that

e: the Darius series on sale right now, what would be a good version for a newcomer to the series? G-Darius seems to get the most love in discussions

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 9, 2022

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

beer gas canister posted:

Bullet Hell Monday and Danmaku Unlimited 3 seem to be the top recs for native mobile. If you're down for emulation Android is great for that

e: the Darius series on sale right now, what would be a good version for a newcomer to the series? G-Darius seems to get the most love in discussions

Either G-Darius or Cozmic Collection Arcade are good choices. The Arcade collection will give you Darius 1, 2 and Gaiden. Gaiden is a perfectly modern-feeling horizontal shmup that's well loved. I've also had a lot of fun picking my way through the first game with liberal use of save-states to learn how stuff works, too (The bosses are really vicious, and it's a necessity there, I think). I haven't gotten more into 2 yet, but I think I like it? It definitely feels less like a late 80s game than 1.

The console collection is the weakest of the three. I ended up picking it up during the sale for the two unique SNES-only games. Unless you're a completionist, though, there's not much to recommend it beyond those two games. A lot of the other stuff is more interesting as a curiosity, like the Master System port of Darius 2, which is mostly just remarkable in that they made it, and it is kinda, sorta functional. (It also lacks the best port of Darius 1, the really cool one M2 made for the Genesis/Mega Drive mini - that port feels remarkably faithful, despite having 1/3rd the screen real-estate to work with.)

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 9, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I loving loved Sigma Star Saga on the GBA. It's an RPG, but the battles are SHMUP sections.

I have been experimenting with widescreen hacks and emulators recently. A lof of SNES SHMUPs work surprisingly well. I will circle back around with a list later.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 11, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Reporting in to say I am having fun with Rangerdog

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Cute-em-ups are awesome. Big fan of those gimmicks in the review, especially that destructible building that alters your route. If anybody has recs for more friendly/chill games like that I'll add a section to the OP for them.

Ultimately I'd like for the OP to remain in the forums/Google search results for a long time as a resource for new players who might find it in the future, so if anyone wants to throw out similar lists for various categories I will add them. Hell if anyone with a blog or other platform wants to swipe all this poo poo for content please do it so the info can get out there. Still have 40k characters to work with so :justpost:

Some possible categories that I have little experience with:

-Retro console games. Retro handhelds are growing in popularity, and when I bought one I had to scour waaay too many lists to figure out what was good.
-Very easy/chill games
-Early arcade offerings that are newbie/returner friendly
-Euroshmups
-Weird games (Cho Aniki)
-roguelites

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 10, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that allows you to fill it with mars matrix 4000 times

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, I seem to lean more towards cartoony and cute than awesome lazer space jets. That said, the Raiden Trad cabinet with a broken coin door, giving us free plays at summer camp that one year remains my all time favorite, simply due to nostalgia and the specific conditions present at that time and place.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Ciaphas posted:

my drug of choice is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, a criminally-underrated boss-rush shmup with roguelite-ish elements- no wait come back it's good i promise

the game's initial story mode has you going through 8-10 fights against one of dozens (like 80+? not sure) monsters and their various alternates. each monster has a level from 1 to at least 12, and more levels means more & faster bullets in each pattern, sometimes with entirely new patterns or different versions of the same pattern. each monster drops a set of "gifts" when defeated - passive boosts, helpers, Panics (bombs), consumables, all that sort of thing. not far in, you unlock Quickplay, which lets you pick a monster, their level & set of gifts and throw down for top score without the story bits

this video starts at 10:07 to show an example low-tier boss at its max level (and one of my favorite examples of the great soundtrack). a whole lot of other monsters on display in the rest of the video too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7lpYOg_v0o&t=607s

the game is very good at explicitly telling you what your items are doing in detail. it also has a stats screen that gives you All The Numbers in the pause menu - right down to things like stating that Crit Rate is actually a Rate and not just a % chance to crit individual bullets, or how long a bullet takes to cross the screen

here's the roguelite-ish parts. i've mixed opinions on these, mileage may vary:
  • as you play the game & complete Dreams (achievements), new monsters & items become available for the game to offer. many dreams are dead simple ("break 20 of this boss's wing-parts across multiple runs"), others harder ("full-combo this monster without using panics (bombs)"). there are currently 583 Dreams implemented, all with associated steam achievements if you like that sort of thing
  • each monster you defeat drops pieces of metacurrency (called Tetrids) that are used primarily to Radiate monsters and items, and to unlock things in Quickplay. Other uses come in once the game introduces Events
  • on Radiating: in the story mode, before each fight you select one of 1-4 offered monsters to fight next. on a new file, you know the monster's levels and the types/power levels of items it will drop on defeat; but you don't know anything about the monster except their name & picture (and not even that if it's your first meeting!), nor can you see what the drops actually are, until the item/monster has been Radiated by spending tetrids between runs. once you have the item in a run you can see what it does, but unradiated items are forgotten again at the end of the run. Finally, unradiated items & monsters can't be used for Quickplay

tl;dr: TVRUHH is great, it's thirteen bucks on steam, please play it!

I really enjoy this one, intriguing different artstyle, gameplay is fun and I like that every fight is a boss fight. What story and atmosphere there is is charming and emotional.

Many simple but meaningful choices during each run. Many "builds" you can try to upgrade towards. If you are dominating you can choose the highest level monster each time, and if things are being a bit too tough you may be asked if you want to lower the minimum monster level, this on the fly difficulty adjustment feels neatly implemented.

Monsters can also become radically different to fight at higher levels, there can be additional hazards, obviously more/faster projectiles and attack patterns get wacky with only the slightest amount of time to react. It is fun to see monsters end up plain MEAN after fighting beating them in what is effectively low level child forms. The end of run bosses are incredibly intense on high levels and without panic bombs.

I love Shmups, but I am garbage at true bullet hell games, but with how smooth or difficult i want each run to be easily adjusted both from the getgo and in the middle of a run, I can get the exact challenge or joyride I feel up or confident for every time. With so many things to unlock and Currency needed to spend on things, it will keep you entertained and challenged for a long time.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Voice of Labor posted:

that allows you to fill it with mars matrix 4000 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=731ZuP8iLnE

hot drat hope Capcom gives it the gigawang treatment

e; this inspired me to credit feed through Giga Wing and LOL at the last level and boss. Holy poo poo how brutal

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 10, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll Nth the recommendations for the Cotton games, I liked Cotton Reboot! so much I actually bought a copy of Rock n Roll with the Cotton figure (a small local game store carries import games and they brought it in, I just happened to see it there).

And I enjoyed the Parodius series, we have an Arcade Legends Ultimate machine at home and they're a blast to play on it. I'm surprised that Konami never did a Parodius collection, but that was also back when Konami was willing to poke fun at themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami did do a Parodius collection for PSP, alongside Gradius and so on, and there was a double-pack for PSX/Saturn back in the day as well.

One of the issues with putting them out nowadays is that most of the music is arranged from classical/folk songs that they thought were public domain but aren't, so they have to replace a lot of tunes in order to re-release them.

Rangerdog is a recent and fairly decent Parodius homage:
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/rangerdog-switch/

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I like shmups a lot but I'm pretty bad at them because I don't put in the time to focus on one very often, but a game I did focus on and learn to 1CC is Gun Nac for NES and if I can do it, so can you.

Gun Nac has:
  • A variety of weapons where none of them are terrible but there's a couple that stand out
  • Multiple types of bombs, and you're encouraged to use them because you get a ton of them
  • Getting hit doesn't instantly kill you, but it does take your powerups so you have some leeway but it'll be rough for a little bit
  • Goofy enemies
  • A shop between stages to buy powerups you lost when the boss shot you
  • A ton of extra lives
  • More stages than you would think, because it's by Compile and they made some pretty long shmups

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

euroshmup on nes. I guess shooter with rpg elements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzical_Fighter

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Lynx Winters posted:

I like shmups a lot but I'm pretty bad at them because I don't put in the time to focus on one very often, but a game I did focus on and learn to 1CC is Gun Nac for NES and if I can do it, so can you.

Gun Nac has:
  • A variety of weapons where none of them are terrible but there's a couple that stand out
  • Multiple types of bombs, and you're encouraged to use them because you get a ton of them
  • Getting hit doesn't instantly kill you, but it does take your powerups so you have some leeway but it'll be rough for a little bit
  • Goofy enemies
  • A shop between stages to buy powerups you lost when the boss shot you
  • A ton of extra lives
  • More stages than you would think, because it's by Compile and they made some pretty long shmups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYF22YbDEZM

Fired it up and the gameplay is smoother than I'd expected and generally runs much better than a typical NES game. The powerup-bomb-damage relationship is interesting and got me thinking before the 1st level was over.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Compile shmups are comfy and perfect for getting your feet wet with 1CCs. Highly recommend Super Aleste for SNES and if the game is too slow for you at least you can enjoy the music.