Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that got me on a rabbit hole of old AT&T footage and i found this one showing how they did the same thing to install the rotary dial switchers in the first place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45T7U5oi9Q&t=487s

but for that they just had to pull out a bunch of fuses at once, so i'm even less sure why the new system requires cutting stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

crossbar switches were some cool poo poo and it's amazing to think about how the mid century telephone system was literally a single vast machine spanning the entire globe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

crossbar switches were some cool poo poo and it's amazing to think about how the mid century telephone system was literally a single vast machine spanning the entire globe

it was quite an achievement that was easy to take for granted.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't think many people took it for granted when the pricing was in line with the scale of modern wonder. International LD was $4/min in nominal dollars in 1965

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't think many people took it for granted when the pricing was in line with the scale of modern wonder. International LD was $4/min in nominal dollars in 1965

why would i ever want to call someone in another country with their weird other country words though

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

that got me on a rabbit hole of old AT&T footage and i found this one showing how they did the same thing to install the rotary dial switchers in the first place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45T7U5oi9Q&t=487s

but for that they just had to pull out a bunch of fuses at once, so i'm even less sure why the new system requires cutting stuff

cause cutting stuff is cool and fun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duz posted:

cause cutting stuff is cool and fun

i do think it's funny that in 1940 they were all wearing electrical safety gloves and safety goggles but in the 80's one they didn't have any of that poo poo

i guess they might be wearing safety glasses but they just look like normal glasses to me idk

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shame on an IGA posted:

my mom worked in telecom doing software for PBX and public switches as they were increasingly going digital. they wrote the software for the switch that Tanzania used to move away from the electromechanical model, and they had a huge (n.b., I was like 7 so) map of Tanzania and neighbouring countries showing the linkages of the current switch. when I visited they’d sometimes take it off the wall and put it on one of the big(?) lab tables and I’d trace paths between places making up stories about who was calling who

boy, haven’t thought about that in a really long time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1556825259675992065?s=20&t=KIEeKBUQKgxzgSCv5wp6-g

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow a public wifi-spot? It's over! Those russians have it all now.

I mean I'm sure their network security isn't amazing or anything, but a public passwordless wifi hotspot is nothing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
*connecting to starbucks wifi* I'm in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

*connecting to starbucks wifi* I'm in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

even if it had encryption its trivial to break wps usually :shrug:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wow a public wifi-spot? It's over! Those russians have it all now.

I mean I'm sure their network security isn't amazing or anything, but a public passwordless wifi hotspot is nothing.

depends on what else is on the open wifi.

sure, starbucks has the process down pretty well, but there are a shocking number of restaurants and coffee shops that throw their pos and back of house systems on a network bridged with that open wifi.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hey if any secfuck posters want a free ticket to defcon pm me, i was going to go but all things considered it's a bad idea for me at the moment. first message that hits my pms gets it. i'll need a name and an email to transfer it; the only request i have is that you mail me the badge and booklet after the con.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

even if it had encryption its trivial to break wps usually :shrug:

Yup.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nudgenudgetilt posted:

depends on what else is on the open wifi.

sure, starbucks has the process down pretty well, but there are a shocking number of restaurants and coffee shops that throw their pos and back of house systems on a network bridged with that open wifi.

Sure. But if your PoS and other systems are on the same network as your public Wifi, that is the actual Secfuck, not that you have an SSID name "free public wifi" that isn't passworded.

And even if you did have a PoS system connected to your "free public wifi" network, clicking the "wireless client isolation" button is almost as good as segregated them by vlan.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is the kind of thinking that'll land you maintaining a huge erlang/otp codebase, and no one wants that

I’d do it if there was enough money in it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sure. But if your PoS and other systems are on the same network as your public Wifi, that is the actual Secfuck, not that you have an SSID name "free public wifi" that isn't passworded.

And even if you did have a PoS system connected to your "free public wifi" network, clicking the "wireless client isolation" button is almost as good as segregated them by vlan.

I mean, from TFA:

quote:

Our inspections found weak and open Wi-Fi networks, wireless printers without passwords, servers with outdated and vulnerable software, and unencrypted login pages to back-end databases containing sensitive information.

the wireless printer I can mostly shrug off -- who can't see one of those drat things open and broadcasting constantly. the rest implied to me that the visibility into outdated and vulnerable software at least partially came from the weak and open wireless networks.

it's worth remembering the hospitality industry is in a constant state of secfuck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I mean, from TFA:

the wireless printer I can mostly shrug off -- who can't see one of those drat things open and broadcasting constantly. the rest implied to me that the visibility into outdated and vulnerable software at least partially came from the weak and open wireless networks.

it's worth remembering the hospitality industry is in a constant state of secfuck

this reflexively made me check for wifi direct aps (lol) and wtf is this:

since its passworded why is it a "public" network? where does that determination come from?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

5ghz tiddy is clearly winning

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

since its passworded why is it a "public" network? where does that determination come from?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202831

quote:

Public networks are designed for general access in public places like a hotel, airport, or coffee shop. Some other examples include Hotspot 2.0, Passpoint, EAP-SIM, or Wi-Fi connections that are provided by cellular carriers and network access providers.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

I believe Tim Apple has determined that WPA2 is not secure enough unless it's not just AES, but also the router complies with some standard or other which is only usually included in newer firmwares.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2943/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

I believe Tim Apple has determined that WPA2 is not secure enough unless it's not just AES, but also the router complies with some standard or other which is only usually included in newer firmwares.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2943/

i believe you fell for a joke about the yossec thread, missed the point entirely and kept going

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
oh no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

so i did a little digging and it doesnt seem to be any of these unless t-mobile pushed it over EAP-SIM but that doesn't seem to be it either because it doesn't show up on beefwife's ipad (its the "airpad")

if anything its security is worse than usual, TKIP+AES

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Beeftweeter posted:

i believe you fell for a joke about the yossec thread, missed the point entirely and kept going

so my posts aren't at risk? :sweatdrop:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

so my posts aren't at risk? :sweatdrop:

well, im willing to roll the dice

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

why would i ever want to call someone in another country with their weird other country words though

that reminded me that my dad misdialed to korea trying to order ladybugs for the garden when i was a kid :allears:

admittedly, he realized he had the wrong business, but it wasn't until we got that bill that he realized he had the wrong hemisphere

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Accidentally hit the + key before dialling I guess?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

electricity was cheap but you'd better make yourself scarce when your parents got that first phone bill after you discovered how to dial out to different places

even if the number was in the same area code, there was still the concept of local-toll-calls if the number was out of your immediate calling area. the phone book had a section that showed what numbers you could call for free based on your exchange. it's kind of mind boggling that traditional landline service, which can cost up to $70 for no-frills service after all of the taxes and fees, still has the concept of long distance charges. i think at this point it's just a scam to rip off the elderly and ignorant

that old jason scott bbs documentary series had an interview with a phone company employee who talked about what a headache modem users were to ma bell, because they had these nice formulas for calculating capacity (x customers in an area who make an average of y calls per day lasting approximately z minutes) that worked for years, but with the rise of modem users there were suddenly a contingent of residential customers staying on for hours at a time tying up both local and long distance capacity beyond what was planned for. between that and some other factors, i gather that the phone company in general just really didn't like the existence of modems

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 10, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

Accidentally hit the + key before dialling I guess?

the what

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Taking the risk this is a joke post and I'm wasting my time explaining this...

To dial internationally, you need to dial three parts of a phone number.
- A special code to tell your operator you want to do an international call.
- The country code.
- The person's phone number in that country.

For instance, a typical Dutch number could be 0123456789.

To call this number from Belgium, I'd dial 00-31-123456789.

00 is to tell the Belgian operator I want to start an international call, 31 is the country code for the Netherlands, and the rest is the person's number (with the 0 removed because the 0 means to call to another area within NL).

But to call this number from the USA, I'd have to dial 011-31-123456789. It's the same except the "dial internationally" operator code from the USA is 011.

It seems most countries settled on using 00 for this but a handful didn't. So modern phones do some trickery where you can use a + instead of typing the full operator code and it will figure out where you're dialing from and insert the right code. On a smartphone you can usually dial the + by holding the 0 button for a bit.

It's also why you'll see international phone numbers listed as +31-123456789. This will work for anyone in the world, 0031- would not.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2022

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

All right, all right you sold me! So what do you call this new act, exactly?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

neophyte found. Stay in your local exchange kid, the phreakers are on the move.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

- The country code.

00 is to tell the Belgian operator I want to start an international call, 31 is the country code for the Netherlands, and the rest is the person's number (with the 0 removed because the 0 means to call to another area within NL).

But to call this number from the USA, I'd have to dial 011-31-123456789. It's the same except the "dial internationally" operator code from the USA is 011.

It seems most countries settled on using 00 for this but a handful didn't. So modern phones do some trickery where you can use a + instead of typing the full operator code and it will figure out where you're dialing from and insert the right code. On a smartphone you can usually dial the + by holding the 0 button for a bit.

It's also why you'll see international phone numbers listed as +31-123456789. This will work for anyone in the world, 0031- would not.

this was neat, ty :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

- The country code.

it's not a joke it's just i've never seen a + on a phone and whenever i dial internationally i always have to look up all this stuff you posted to do it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
incidentally my country code is 386 because we're stuck in the 80s

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

it's not a joke it's just i've never seen a + on a phone and whenever i dial internationally i always have to look up all this stuff you posted to do it

It has never been a dedicated key, most mobile phones i remember having it on the keyboard (i'm talking ye old t9 era) used a long press of the 0 key to type it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

every number on my phone shows up as something like +1 (555) 976-8008, with the +1 meaning that it's originating from the us. it always shows the country code, no matter what

the + is an alternate on the 0 key