Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i freeze da bug then i drill da bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Control Volume posted:

i freeze da bug then i drill da bug

Rock and stone, baby :hellyeah:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Serephina posted:

Ok sure, you guys sound convinced that temp shocking frozen things is bad (which is crazy to me), but what do you actually run as your cryo's secondary then? That doesn't temp shock, and apparently won't compete with axes nor drills on frozen things, since that's bad too?

(If all the replies are tcf I'm gonna laugh)

i do a heavy hitter plasma gun and just fire a bunch of uncharged shots to shatter things. (technically i take tcf because i don't want the plasma burn doing the temperature shock on frozen targets, as we've established, but i never really use it, i find the timing too slippery. the gun heat reduction also mitigates heavy hitter's boost to gun heat a bit).

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Unsinkabear posted:

This discussion has gone on way too long and it's making my head hurt

Counterpoint: it's fun and cool to yell about videogames and throw overbearing, polarising tryhardisms at one-another for sport. Git Gud At TCF You Absolute Scrubs.

But yeah, thermal shock is fantastic for squeezing more value out of your ammo over time. TCF is great for having 20+ spectacular and versatile explosions on tap.

The extent to which ammo would take priority over damage delivery and flexibility depends on many different factors; how fast you play, the team you're with, the mission you're on etc. I tend to play as fast as I can, I also enjoy the mechanics of proccing TCF a lot more than shooting normal EPC shots, so it's a no-brainer for me.

There is, however, no reason anyone should feel bad about their (suboptimal, cowardly, low-brow) co-op game loadout choices.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like the major point of contention here seems to be "which gives you more damage, hitting a frozen target for the duration of it being frozen or doing a temperature shock and canceling the freeze" and i'm pretty far in the hole for the former, but i don't think it's something you can really compare except anecdotally.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i do a heavy hitter plasma gun and just fire a bunch of uncharged shots to shatter things. (technically i take tcf because i don't want the plasma burn doing the temperature shock on frozen targets, as we've established, but i never really use it, i find the timing too slippery. the gun heat reduction also mitigates heavy hitter's boost to gun heat a bit).

Imo if you're not taking TCF, try a fast charge shot focused build with plasma burn on the last tier. You'll still one-shot frozen grunts in the same way that you do with heavy hitter, you'll have a faster heat-free option for damaging fixed guards and praetorians (charged shot), and you'll be more effective against mactera.

I used to love HH too, but at this point I'm not even sure what its niche is. (Credit to IronicDongz for the above replacement)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

like the major point of contention here seems to be "which gives you more damage, hitting a frozen target for the duration of it being frozen or doing a temperature shock and canceling the freeze" and i'm pretty far in the hole for the former, but i don't think it's something you can really compare except anecdotally.

And that's a stupid loving straw man because you shouldn't be cancelling the freeze! :psypop:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

temperature shock cancels the freeze, that's what temperature shock is

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

I mean specifically in the case of plasma burn vs TCF - TCF is more damage provided you're proficient with it, and it doesn't require a freeze before becoming useful (and it doesn't unfreeze what it doesn't kill to boot). That plus the fact that it's insanely fun to use is why I'm backing it to such a relentless and irritating degree.

I am preaching the good word of TCF because somehow everyone ended up thinking it was just some irritating, exclusionary mining tool rather than a quiver full of loving amazing grenades.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 10, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

temperature shock cancels the freeze, that's what temperature shock is

You are not locked into that interaction happening every time. Please see the above post about how to build a gun that only temperature shocks what you want to (aka what you know will die from it) :negative:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Unsinkabear posted:

stop with the weirdly smug bad takes. This discussion has gone on way too long and it's making my head hurt

no u

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

You are not locked into that interaction happening every time. Please see the above post about how to build a gun that only temperature shocks what you want to (aka what you know will die from it) :negative:

I shant

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Unsinkabear posted:

i think we crossed wires at some point, i'm talking about why you don't want to take the wave cooker with the cryo cannon, tweaking up an EPC to work with the cryo cannon just right means we're actually on the same page i'm pretty sure

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How about them rocks

or stones

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Y'all arguing over temperature shock while I'm over here with the goo gun and no temperature effects anywhere. :downs:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i think we crossed wires at some point, i'm talking about why you don't want to take the wave cooker with the cryo cannon, tweaking up an EPC to work with the cryo cannon just right means we're actually on the same page i'm pretty sure

Yeah, fair. I was just responding to the assertion that temperature shock is bad in general, which I think started somewhere in the middle from someone else

isndl posted:

Y'all arguing over temperature shock while I'm over here with the goo gun and no temperature effects anywhere. :downs:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with roleplaying a Captain Planet villain, please continue to slow and melt everything in the room at all times

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Melting bugs is the true way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I run the crispr and the colette with thermal reaction. It's pretty great for soloing just about any situation other than dreads and the very rare case where a teammate is freezing things. I think the freezing effect is generally better than thermal because in addition to you or a teammate being able to deliver a non-heat coup-de-grace, the enemy is also just....out of the equation for the duration. Thermal on freezing seems like a consolation prize for losing the freeze rather than a balanced and equal alternative.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 10, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

isndl posted:

Goo and sticky flame have synergistic effects.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean at the end of the day it's all kind of moot because deep rock is gentle enough that you can make pretty much anything work with pretty much anything else, i just think the wave cooker doesn't go as well with the cryo cannon as it does the flamethrower

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

You can make pretty much anything work with pretty much anything

I have recently been using an Engineer build I saw some youtuber playing around with, entirely based around AoE zones and very little else - 22222 Stubby with Turret Em Discharge and 12122 Spinning Death Breach Cutter, so you kite things back and forth over your turrets to mulch them in explosions, occasionally dropping a stupid spinnydeath windmill in there for good measure. It's surprisingly enjoyable to use because you're basically playing a static blender.

Thinking about builds is definitely more for squeezing fun out of the game than pure efficiency (although the two are connected for some people), it's cool that there are as many funky interactions as there are. I come across a few pubbies who are handicapped by their builds, but that's way less common than people failing for more banal reasons like FPS experience, lack of mobility or awareness, reaction times etc.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tommy the Newt posted:

people failing for more banal reasons like FPS experience, lack of mobility or awareness, reaction times etc.

Just call me out by name, you coward :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to belabor the point but i'm stuck hanging around an airport and have nothing better to do, the argument "the wave cooker goes well with the cryo cannon, because axes and drills are good against frozen enemies" is very frustrating. how good axes and drills are with the cyro cannon is entirely irrelevant, you can have them with the cryo cannon regardless of what secondary weapon you have equipped. it's like saying a screwdriver is a good tool for driving nails because you have a hammer with you.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I think I'm absolute trash at this game. I did the elite dive as an engineer (Lok1 with executioner and breach gun with the spinny oc) and I have no idea what happened but stuff kept kicking my rear end. The aquan level was particularly bad with bugs continually downing me while I was on the platform. I hate the platform so much, bugs can attack you through the floor and through the middle of the solid structure, but you can't hit them.

In the future, I guess I need to move around more. It was my worst performance ever with 21 downs. ye gods.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fighting on refinery or minehead definitely sucks very badly. personal plea to all deep rick galactic gamers to just find an open space to fight swarms at instead

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

IronicDongz posted:

fighting on refinery or minehead definitely sucks very badly. personal plea to all deep rick galactic gamers to just find an open space to fight swarms at instead

It might be tight w nitra but I have started doing this as a driller, prepping rooms by removing pillars and obstacles. This is probably a no brainer for vets but when I had this idea it just clicked that you fight where you want to for the most part

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vasler posted:

I hate the platform so much, bugs can attack you through the floor and through the middle of the solid structure, but you can't hit them.

I also hate this and I hate myself for having to learn this the hard way over and over again.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

McCracAttack posted:

I also hate this and I hate myself for having to learn this the hard way over and over again.

Also you can't set it on fire :argh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Target Practice posted:

It might be tight w nitra but I have started doing this as a driller, prepping rooms by removing pillars and obstacles. This is probably a no brainer for vets but when I had this idea it just clicked that you fight where you want to for the most part
you almost always have enough drill fuel+C4 to do whatever you want really

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I deliberately call resupplies in good spots now, it seems to help

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

IronicDongz posted:

you almost always have enough drill fuel+C4 to do whatever you want really

A very mild fear of being trapped underground and being easily lost make it so I am very stingy with my driller fuel because I want to make it back to the drop pod at any cost :ohdear:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Target Practice posted:

clearing the floor for an upcoming battle is the Best Thing you can do as driller

Target Practice posted:

A very mild fear of being trapped underground and being easily lost make it so I am very stingy with my driller fuel because I want to make it back to the drop pod at any cost :ohdear:

another Best Thing drillers can do is drill shortcuts between long twisty tunnels that turn close to each other, especially on Mining Expeditions or Eliminations

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Target Practice posted:

If you have all the upgrades for drill and a full tank of 45 (?) fuel you can easily safely make it about 150m straight drilling, 120m if you wanna be super safe. If you use the map and drill between existing caverns you should always be close enough to drill an exit and hoof it if you do run low on fuel.

Edit: Also, extra carving radius on C4

Hwurmp posted:

another Best Thing drillers can do is drill shortcuts between long twisty tunnels that turn close to each other, especially on Mining Expeditions or Eliminations

PE very often have a "hidden" cave as well thats behind a windy path but actually close to the extraction rig, shortcut tunnels make all the difference.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 10, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's honestly something drillers should just be generally doing pretty much all the time. Unless you're in mactera plague or there are absolutely loads of spitters, having clear sight lines and open approaches is the difference between a fairly easy run, and an absolutel nightmare, especially on point defences. Having stuff to hide behind doesn't help anywhere near as much as being able to shoot stuff before you need to hide from it.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

McCracAttack posted:

I'm glad it's not just me because I seem to fall for it over and over again. Someday, I will learn my lesson.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BMan posted:

Also you can't set it on fire :argh:

The platform also eats any other platforms you sling at it.

What is this, Highlander?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

thespaceinvader posted:

That's honestly something drillers should just be generally doing pretty much all the time. Unless you're in mactera plague or there are absolutely loads of spitters, having clear sight lines and open approaches is the difference between a fairly easy run, and an absolutel nightmare, especially on point defences. Having stuff to hide behind doesn't help anywhere near as much as being able to shoot stuff before you need to hide from it.

And on those levels and other ranged enemy levels, instead of clearing the area just dig some quick tunnels in the wall next to the open arena so players have somewhere to retreat to if they are overwhelmed by ranged attacks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Like popping an entire row of zits, so satisfying

https://i.imgur.com/WPOSdOh.mp4

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed more/more severe rubber banding when they play as client? I noticed even when Im playing on hosts that have 50 ping and < 5ms jitter I get weird rubber banding, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/5sQn0YZ.mp4

Tunnels/ledges have always been wonky with some lag but this feels like new behavior to me

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 13, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have noticed a very different kind of rubberbanding, like how sometimes I'll dig a staircase to some rocks and stones and then the terrain slingshots me across the map at 500mph, downing me on impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The eggheds have taken to calling that a "slingshot maneuver" instead of rubber banding