Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dyersville, Iowa, has received a $12.5 million grant to create a permanent baseball stadium at the Field of Dreams site.

An old drinking buddy of mine is part of the ownership group that bought the field a year and a half ago, and they're actively lining up financing to not only do the stadium, but build a hotel, retail and restaurant(s) on the property.

Just feels wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm glad Mariners fans are finally realizing that Kelenic in fact sucks. I guess this most recent callup finally did it for them.

Timby posted:

Dyersville, Iowa, has received a $12.5 million grant to create a permanent baseball stadium at the Field of Dreams site.

An old drinking buddy of mine is part of the ownership group that bought the field a year and a half ago, and they're actively lining up financing to not only do the stadium, but build a hotel, retail and restaurant(s) on the property.

Just feels wrong.

If you build it, capitalism will come.

(and ruin everything)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Braves just called up Vaughn Grissom, who started the year in A ball and had just arrived in AAA

Last year: Braves had 7 catchers

This year: Braves will have 6 second basemen

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MrMidnight posted:

If the Blue Jays could win a game or two the AL East race would start to look interesting

Watch the Orioles win the East

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Just feels wrong.

gonna be hilarious 10 years from now when the site is so overbuilt and commercialized the whole "playing in a cornfield" vibe is completely gone and no one wants to pay top dollar to attend those games

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The corn will be exclusively limited to the metaverse in 5 years

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

gonna be hilarious 10 years from now when the site is so overbuilt and commercialized the whole "playing in a cornfield" vibe is completely gone and no one wants to pay top dollar to attend those games

You don't want to know what tickets for tomorrow night's game are going for on the secondhand market. We're talking four figures per ticket for outfield bleacher seats.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

The corn will be exclusively limited to the metaversus in 5 years

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Field of Dreams is a fine movie but this obsession over the site of it in the middle of nowhere in Iowa is just baseball's version of "induced demand"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No Safe Word posted:

Field of Dreams is a fine movie but this obsession over the site of it in the middle of nowhere in Iowa is just baseball's version of "induced demand"

Hey, now. Dyersville is just outside Dubuque, which is a city of about 55,000 people and was the first city established in the State of Iowa and also happens to be my home. It's not the middle of nowhere. :mad:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if this game doesn't have a new flavortown special delivery from the mayor of flavortown then it's all bullshit

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

Last year: Braves had 7 catchers

I thought Arcia turned his ankle but they're saying he felt his hamstrng pop. drat. Arcia's average toop a big dip playing every day for Albies, but he had a bunch of clutch hits. The end of the play hurts to watch as he legged out a double, but was in so much pain he couldn't hold the bag.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a bunch of yuppie cubs fans getting day drunk in the corn

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Just feels wrong.

Is this all for the 1 game a year they play there?

I mean they can probably get a little bit of money from local teams wanting to play there or by hosting some tournaments but I wouldn't think that would be enough to justify building a full stadium in the middle of nowhere.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DanielKimW/status/1557343818273689600?t=HTHcC90sneWKx6KGyLGC8A&s=19

Hell yeah

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

shirts and skins posted:

Watch the Orioles win the East

It would be worth it just to see the melt down that mcmagic would have

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol that's a crazy bat flip

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

Hey, now. Dyersville is just outside Dubuque, which is a city of about 55,000 people and was the first city established in the State of Iowa and also happens to be my home. It's not the middle of nowhere. :mad:
Of course it's not in the middle of nothing, because corn technically counts as something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/BlakeHarrisTBLA/status/1557417175056408576

V: :flashfap::flashfap:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think that bat ended up back in the dugout

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Also Justin Turner is hitting .358/.432/.538 in his last 30 games.

This lineup is nuts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

that's cool and all but that's like 2 weeks

well except for turner that's a decent sample size

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

that's cool and all but that's like 2 weeks

well except for turner that's a decent sample size
For both Muncy and Bellinger, I will take any sliver of hope I can get. In Muncy's case, we've been waiting all year for him to look fully healthy and recovered from the hyperextended elbow last September.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 10, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Is this all for the 1 game a year they play there?

I mean they can probably get a little bit of money from local teams wanting to play there or by hosting some tournaments but I wouldn't think that would be enough to justify building a full stadium in the middle of nowhere.

The idea, according to my friend who's in the ownership group, is that they'd host youth baseball and special events like concerts throughout the year, hence the push to build a hotel and have dining and retail options.

Just feels bizarre to take a historic site and turn it into a mini-mallpark.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

for both Muncy and Bellinger, I will take any sliver of hope I can get

muncy whatever he's never been good outside of some brief dodgers witchmagic but what the hell happened to bellinger?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

muncy whatever he's never been good outside of some brief dodgers witchmagic but what the hell happened to bellinger?

Bellinger hasn't been the same since his shoulder surgery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Muncy is as legitimate as Justin Turner. He changed his swing and approach when he got to the Dodgers (he spent the entirety of 2017 in AAA working on it), and has nearly 2000 PA of 136 OPS+ over 4 seasons since then, not counting this year. The period you refer to as "brief Dodgers witch magic" is 8x as many PA as his previous "never been good" times in Oakland. I mean idk how you square that post with his actual results:

His struggles this year are 100% about the elbow injury he suffered in game 162 last year. He finally looks healthy now and so I do expect him to keep this up.

Bellinger is more complicated, he also had an injury coincide with a decline but he's further removed from the injury and it's hard to know what's physical or not. I expect more streakiness from Bellinger, and don't really expect him to ever replicate his MVP season again for an extended period. But he can get hot for a month at a time (like last year when he put up a .906 OPS in the postseason)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 10, 2022

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I’m just bummed they had to send Vargas and Outman down. Too many Good Dudes right now to carry them all.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/status/1557375741469270019?s=21&t=JQIZxf5vhPBck-iMXbhuPA

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Bellinger just has the yips. They can go away and he can be good again.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

a bunch of yuppie cubs fans getting day drunk in the corn

If it weren't for the yuppy part this would own so hard. That's basically what college baseball in the middle of the state feels like.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly I don't see how another team beats the Dodgers this year. They are incredibly stacked. Which...good for them honestly - hopefully it encourages teams to spend more.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Kirios posted:

Honestly I don't see how another team beats the Dodgers this year. They are incredibly stacked. Which...good for them honestly - hopefully it encourages teams to spend more.

The Mets and Astro’s are plenty capable of beating them. The Dodgers are the best team in the league but they’re not invincible.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LobsterMobster posted:

And they’re all hurt

Anyways this is way too early for Grissom so just hoping it doesn’t break him in any long term way.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 10, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

davecrazy posted:

The Mets and Astro’s are plenty capable of beating them. The Dodgers are the best team in the league but they’re not invincible.

Ya. The Dodgers are 1-5 against the Pirates this year, anything can happen in a short series.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This is going to be a shitshow, I can't wait:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1557445410339291136?t=u2lx84a7T75UYIwQVTP3YQ&s=19

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Timby posted:

Sorry you live in the middle of nowhere

This should never be a thing

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Is it just a projection mapping of Will Farrell's Harry Caray's impression?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

Ya. The Dodgers are 1-5 against the Pirates this year, anything can happen in a short series.
They also went 3-3 vs Washington, 3-4 vs Philly, and 1-2 vs Cleveland

Perhaps a simpler response is “lol did you watch the last five years of postseason baseball?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kirios posted:

If they had a higher profit margin winning the WS with a big payroll than a team that made it into the playoffs with a pittance of a payroll, maybe.