Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Adriene is a freak

i like the apple fitness yoga lady jessica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

i do yoga w my gf sometimes and this lady has too many weird ones i have to skip over like "yoga for liver"

I do her X minutes beginners yoga videos until I can do the exercises without looking up at the screen. I don't know if it's just me but it's difficult to follow her sometimes especially with some of some of the more complicated poses e.g. downwards facing dog.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

i like the apple fitness yoga lady jessica.

I feel like Dustin keeps things a bit less intense, which is nice. Jessica always seems to go really hard.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I do her X minutes beginners yoga videos until I can do the exercises without looking up at the screen. I don't know if it's just me but it's difficult to follow her sometimes especially with some of some of the more complicated poses e.g. downwards facing dog.

i should give those a try. weve just been trying randos lately to try to find a good channel

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like Dustin keeps things a bit less intense, which is nice. Jessica always seems to go really hard.

its funny you say that, it never occurred to me different instructors would have different baseline difficulty levels. i like her because she has the most calming presence. some of the other ones were just too chipper for me.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

its funny you say that, it never occurred to me different instructors would have different baseline difficulty levels. i like her because she has the most calming presence. some of the other ones were just too chipper for me.

Dustin and Jonelle can definitely be a bit too peppy at times, yeah.

Also, this came across my memories today, the squat that is still to this day my PR. I’m gonna try to get back to this level, but at this point I’m going to have to fight against the clock before age makes this too hard to reach again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI2Kq4ChTks/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

(Also also, great camera angle to really emphasize my double chin.)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

drat that's a pretty good squat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i want to get a power cage before i do squats or bench again. ofc i only have like 90lbs of weight and no barbell so im not exactly ready to set up a full home gym

I had a power cage for a while but god drat it took up a lot of room

now I just have some uprights

kinda like this

they work well and take up significantly less room. mine have longer arm bits and I have a bench too, so it works for

squats
overhead press
bench press

I am a big fan of stronglifts 5x5, the app is pretty good and made a big difference to my life

wish I could get back on the horse though. am thinking about a rowing machine and just trying to get a modicum of fitness in my life

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, there are plenty of very reliable ways. Really, if you get into and maintain a solid diet and exercise regime you'll be in shape within a couple of years. There's not even any just one regime that actually works. As long as you're not following a fad-diet and the workout isn't something from an infomercial, there's a very good chance it will get you in shape within a couple of years.

Now, a way to ensure that you are able to maintain the time, effort, and willpower that are required to follow through with such a regime...that's something we don't have a solution for yet.

yeah the "move more eat less" school of weight loss hovers around 3% long term success rate. the chance you have diabetes if you live in the us is like 8%, trying to avoid it by moving more eating less is just wishful thinking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have already caught diabetes and now I am immune

I think there is probably a lot to be said about disordered gut flora predisposing someone to a hosed up appetite and it's almost impossible long term to swim against that current

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RokosCockatrice posted:

yeah the "move more eat less" school of weight loss hovers around 3% long term success rate. the chance you have diabetes if you live in the us is like 8%, trying to avoid it by moving more eating less is just wishful thinking

The myth that diets have a 3% long-term success rate comes from one 1959 study that was done on just 100 people. The actual numbers are significantly higher, with 25-27% maintaining significant weight loss for 5 years or more. There are studies showing that as high as 87% of people can maintain a weight loss of at least 10% for 10 years.

"Move more eat less" has significant scientific research backing up its efficacy, and anyone trying to tell you differently is either trying to push a "morbid obesity is healthy, actually" political agenda or trying to sell you a fad diet.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh wow this might be exactly what i'm looking for

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i have easy successes with “move more eat less” until something interrupts either one of those. the root cause for me is, why do i want to eat so much that the only way to not overeat is a meticulously managed diet? so i grant you the truth of that statement in isolation, but it is not meaningfully more useful for anyone’s problems than the statement “just be rich instead of poor” regarding finance

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I find that motivating myself to exercise more is easier than changing my diet. Food is all around us all the time, so being vigilant about eating well is a 24 hour thing, while I only have to convince myself once a day to get up and go do something. Even if I'm having a bad day jogging or at the gym, I tell myself anything is better than nothing, if I only make it a mile out and have to walk back, then I've jogged a mile and walked a mile.

I've never really struggled with my weight so I don't wanna misrepresent myself (though I am getting into my late 30s and have a bit of a gut), just some encouragement that even a walk is something, and to not feel too bad about backsliding.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The myth that diets have a 3% long-term success rate comes from one 1959 study that was done on just 100 people. The actual numbers are significantly higher, with 25-27% maintaining significant weight loss for 5 years or more. There are studies showing that as high as 87% of people can maintain a weight loss of at least 10% for 10 years.

"Move more eat less" has significant scientific research backing up its efficacy, and anyone trying to tell you differently is either trying to push a "morbid obesity is healthy, actually" political agenda or trying to sell you a fad diet.

hell yeah thank you for your research to clarify this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I asked in another thread but I wanted some more advice, is there any stretching or something else I can do to help fix my wrist position during squats? I noticed I was overextending my wrists quite a bit so I went back down to 1 plate and now find it really hard to maintain a neutral wrist.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I asked in another thread but I wanted some more advice, is there any stretching or something else I can do to help fix my wrist position during squats? I noticed I was overextending my wrists quite a bit so I went back down to 1 plate and now find it really hard to maintain a neutral wrist.
do an internet search for 'joi videos' op

they will feature detailed instructions on exercises to strengthen your wrists

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

neutral wrist hotel

e: just do front squats and make your wrists bend in ways you never thought possible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FMguru posted:

do an internet search for 'joi videos' op

they will feature detailed instructions on exercises to strengthen your wrists

I did this and while I respect the ladies and fellas doing this, it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its sort of similar to overheads where you want your palm to push against the bar so youre using your entire forearm and not flexing your wrist more than enough to seat the bar on your palm

alternatively push the weight a little higher on your shoulders so your arms arent doing as much work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

don't wrap your thumb around the bar

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah keeping the thumb open is good for forcing your hand to balance it against the end of your forearm instead of bending back the wrist

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

These exercises are listed as ways to help with front squat mobility, but the wrist exercises they show carry over well for back squats.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
maybe your pecs are too tight and your back isnt strong enough to pull your shoulder blades back and down to allow your hands to grip the bar in a comfortable position

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I find that motivating myself to exercise more is easier than changing my diet. Food is all around us all the time, so being vigilant about eating well is a 24 hour thing, while I only have to convince myself once a day to get up and go do something. Even if I'm having a bad day jogging or at the gym, I tell myself anything is better than nothing, if I only make it a mile out and have to walk back, then I've jogged a mile and walked a mile.

I've never really struggled with my weight so I don't wanna misrepresent myself (though I am getting into my late 30s and have a bit of a gut), just some encouragement that even a walk is something, and to not feel too bad about backsliding.

yea, keep going, my only suggestion as a former non-overweight guthaver is try to push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone each time, you’ll likely surprise yourself and that’s where the real satisfying improvement and gut-slaying lies

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

do you know how to read studies? the things you linked don't support your conclusions

edit: start by finding where diets are mentioned in either study if you are making a conclusion about the effectiveness of diets

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

thinking about a desk treadmill anyway. whatever the secret is it can't include sitting idle for 10 hours a day

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

uhh whats up with that first link lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

uhh whats up with that first link lol

Oops, the RLM Best of the Worst poll I'm running in GBS snuck in there.

Here's the correct link. (Non-paywalled NYT article.)

RokosCockatrice posted:

do you know how to read studies? the things you linked don't support your conclusions

edit: start by finding where diets are mentioned in either study if you are making a conclusion about the effectiveness of diets

I think you're misreading my post because of the ambiguity around the word diet. A "diet" in the sense of a temporary change in eating doesn't work long-term (because the entire point is that your body is constantly trying to achieve homeostasis and any temporary change will only have temporary effects). Permanent changes in eating and activity patterns do work, and are what those studies have tracked and shown.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

barkbell posted:

maybe your pecs are too tight and your back isnt strong enough to pull your shoulder blades back and down to allow your hands to grip the bar in a comfortable position

I think you might be right about this, I generally do my squats after doing OHP. I am going to start my gym routine out with squats and see if that changes anything.

I did the PVC trick linked above you but for back squats and I do have that flexibility. Lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

question that i've noticed either is my bad habit or other's bad habits: if you drop after every deadlift, may I ask why?

I learned to do it as a complex movement and you do it clean both ways unless failing. it seems like you're losing something by not returning it in the same way.

otoh deadlift competitions allow people to drop after completing the lift i think, but these are people doing like a plate and dropping and having the floor shake and poo poo bounces everywhere.

its particularly bad at my local gym because the racks are on the 2nd floor and the floor, even with padding, gives and everything shakes around it at more than 1 plate

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 10, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
you drop a 135 deadlift and you better believe im hittin that mf lunk alarm

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dropping a non max effort deadlift just means you’re a pussy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't drop my deadlifts

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

dropping a non max effort deadlift just means you’re a pussy

but like, EVERY time? like you do a set and you full pull and drop each one.

it's so common, there has to be a reasoning for it, it makes no sense to me, and i'm way too anxious to just go up to someone and be like "why do your deads suck lmao"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sometimes i'll just fill a barbell up and drop it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think a lot of people make a lot of noise with deadlifts because that is what they see other people doing. Lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Share Bear posted:

but like, EVERY time? like you do a set and you full pull and drop each one.

it's so common, there has to be a reasoning for it, it makes no sense to me, and i'm way too anxious to just go up to someone and be like "why do your deads suck lmao"

people do dumb poo poo at the gym all of the time

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

the pro dropping your deadlift argument is that the eccentric load put on your spine when setting it down gently is bad for you, so you should just worry about the concentric portion and drop that mf at the top

I don't drop my deadlifts so don't @ me but that's their reasoning if it isn't monkey see monkey do or peacocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I did deadlifts today. didn't drop it, although my grip sucks