Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Braves have called up Vaughn Grissom from AA and he'll be starting tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Perhaps a simpler response is “lol did you watch the last five years of postseason baseball?”

the McMagic doctrine

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Dodgers should advocate for EPL style crowning of champion IMO - they win 105+ every year!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I am humbly requesting that the Houston Astros play Trey Mancini - just figure out a way to get him in the lineup. No more Mauricio Dubon...please.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1557449202656980993

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Dodgers should advocate for EPL style crowning of champion IMO - they win 105+ every year!
I have been advocating this for years now.

They should crown AL and NL Pennant winners at the end of the regular season. Don’t need to position it as superior to the World Series, just make it a trophy like they do in Euro soccer and the NHL. It would restore the Pennant to its historical meaning and over time gain prestige as the postseason constitutes to expand and dilute itself.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

I am humbly requesting that the Houston Astros play Trey Mancini - just figure out a way to get him in the lineup. No more Mauricio Dubon...please.

Why does Dusty have such a hate boner for avoiding Chas in center?

Yes I know he's in the lineup but clearly Dubon and Meyers have no business playing in the playoffs and Chas will likely need the reps in CF.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I have been advocating this for years now.

They should crown AL and NL Pennant winners at the end of the regular season. Don’t need to position it as superior to the World Series, just make it a trophy like they do in Euro soccer and the NHL. It would restore the Pennant to its historical meaning and over time gain prestige as the postseason constitutes to expand and dilute itself.
A mighty fine idea but there would need to be some kind of off-field incentive to go with this, probably something draft-related.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I can't tell if Ted's joking or what that's in reference to.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I can't tell if Ted's joking or what that's in reference to.
I just think that in order to make teams care more about finishing first in their league during the regular season you'd probably have to give them some kind of minor incentive, which would likely have to be draft-related. I know that getting home-field advantage during the playoffs is probably already incentive enough, but you know owners are probably too miserly and/or miserable to buy into something like that unless they got something to go with it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MarinersPR/status/1557430334081212416?t=lDmWxoZNSv4F2sJN1e77RA&s=19

Going from ROY to being optioned to AAA sucks. I guess that's what happens when you have a traumatic knee injury and a pretty bad concussion :(

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1557463223674277888

It wasn't unexpected, though I thought they may have kept him until the end of the season

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/MarinersPR/status/1557430334081212416?t=lDmWxoZNSv4F2sJN1e77RA&s=19

Going from ROY to being optioned to AAA sucks. I guess that's what happens when you have a traumatic knee injury and a pretty bad concussion :(

He can’t move anymore, he needs to do whatever he can to get some mobility and speed back this offseason.

I’ll always wonder what actually went down with that meniscus injury last year. He moves like a guy who’s had a knee replacement, not a relatively minor (‘minor’) surgery well over a year ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It wasn't unexpected, though I thought they may have kept him until the end of the season
I’m not surprised….the team was expected to compete and instead they poo poo the bed

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Surely AJ Hinch isn't long for the job either, right?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kirios posted:

Surely AJ Hinch isn't long for the job either, right?

I haven't heard any grievances with the way he's ran a crappy team. I even saw a blogpost calling for him to become GM or work in the front office.

Avila is not good. I'm really disappointed with how bad he is negotiating with other GMs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Bullshit posted:

I haven't heard any grievances with the way he's ran a crappy team.

This is true, but he'll be going into the lame-duck year of his contract and a new GM will likely want to put their own manager in place.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The Joey votto villain arc has begun and it's pretty funny

https://twitter.com/snytv/status/1557438566162223105?s=21&t=MdMEPKsUdxe1kYPXZOeDJg

https://twitter.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1557439059152314369?s=21&t=MdMEPKsUdxe1kYPXZOeDJg

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I just think that in order to make teams care more about finishing first in their league during the regular season you'd probably have to give them some kind of minor incentive, which would likely have to be draft-related. I know that getting home-field advantage during the playoffs is probably already incentive enough, but you know owners are probably too miserly and/or miserable to buy into something like that unless they got something to go with it.
I don't think any incentive is needed. Just start giving out a trophy and let it gain prestige naturally over time. You can't really force people to care about something, but players are definitely more likely to care about winning a trophy that says "you're the best!" than earing an extra draft pick for the team which probably won't show up on the roster for 5+ years.

Players absolutely value the World Series now as the pinnacle of the sport and I don't see that changing for the foreseeable future. But they also know what a grind the 162 game season is and if you started awarding a trophy for being the best at that, they'd begin to value it as well.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 10, 2022

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Timby posted:

This is true, but he'll be going into the lame-duck year of his contract and a new GM will likely want to put their own manager in place.

Yeah I see your point. Maybe they trade him to the White Sox...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Sick catch by Robles at Wrigley

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1557455693908742144

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Why are half the MLB twitter videos letterboxed for portrait? Either do all of them (don't do this) or none.

e: that is a dope catch though

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1557458922507747330

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Do umps even call leaning into pitches nowadays

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I don't think any incentive is needed. Just start giving out a trophy and let it gain prestige naturally over time. You can't really force people to care about something, but players are definitely more likely to care about winning a trophy that says "you're the best!" than earing an extra draft pick for the team which probably won't show up on the roster for 5+ years.
Maybe the only to get it to actually happen is like what happened in Major League Soccer where a bunch of fans got together to self-fund a trophy for the team that finished the regular season with the best record, back when all the team would get was a #1 playoff seed, and that became what is now known as the Supporters Shield.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The only example I've ever heard of was the one with the based loaded in which the home plate ump called it and kept Don Drysdale's record-setting scoreless innings streak alive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Maybe the only to get it to actually happen is like what happened in Major League Soccer where a bunch of fans got together to self-fund a trophy for the team that finished the regular season with the best record, back when all the team would get was a #1 playoff seed, and that became what is now known as the Supporters Shield.
Are any non-Dodgers fans going to come together to give the Dodgers an unofficial NL Pennant trophy? Similarly, would any non-Dodgers fans take such a thing orchestrated by Dodgers fans seriously? Ditto for the AL and Yankees/Astros.

Seems to me it would have to happen from the top down in baseball.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mets have been rakin'

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

bawfuls posted:

Are any non-Dodgers fans going to come together to give the Dodgers an unofficial NL Pennant trophy? Similarly, would any non-Dodgers fans take such a thing orchestrated by Dodgers fans seriously? Ditto for the AL and Yankees/Astros.

dodger stink out loud

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Dude's been nothing but fun since getting traded to the Mets.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

Based on the Astros lineups since the deadline, I’m not even sure why they traded for Mancini.

If Dusty’s as loyal to Javier and Urquidy as he is to Meyers and Dubon, you might see Lance back as the 7th inning guy next week.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

I love this so much

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

Idk if you wanna give your team a trophy go for it, I’m p sure even less teams will win this award than the World Series. Does it really feel that bad when they lose that you need more validation?

Edit - actually surprised how often the winningest team changes yoy from a glance, been a lot of different teams recently in both leagues

uggy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 10, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In case you thought the Tigers might get better from firing their lovely GM, don't get your hopes up.

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1557493478547939334

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/1557483056306569220

I think this team is going to be very bad for a very, very long time.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

Based on the Astros lineups since the deadline, I’m not even sure why they traded for Mancini.

If Dusty’s as loyal to Javier and Urquidy as he is to Meyers and Dubon, you might see Lance back as the 7th inning guy next week.

They've reported they'll be doing a 6-man rotation.

But yeah I don't know why Mancini isn't getting more starts, kinda annoying.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

They've reported they'll be doing a 6-man rotation.

But yeah I don't know why Mancini isn't getting more starts, kinda annoying.

Dude hits 3 bombs in 2 games and rides the pine. I don't really mind today since it's JV but yeah he needs to be playing more than Yuli

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Is this all for the 1 game a year they play there?

I mean they can probably get a little bit of money from local teams wanting to play there or by hosting some tournaments but I wouldn't think that would be enough to justify building a full stadium in the middle of nowhere.

You mean the 1 game a year they USED to play there.

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/1557450132320387072?s=20&t=8Wb13I167mPqHjtMqZlzAg

It's ok, Apple got 100 million 5 years ago to build a data center that has yet to turn a shovel of dirt. Easy to get state money here if you can deliver a photo op with the gov.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Max Scherzer doesn't have a perfect game, remember?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I completely understand why the focus is on the Yankees as a currently "collapsing" AL East team, but can anyone explain what the hell happened to the Rays?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pungry posted:

I completely understand why the focus is on the Yankees as a currently "collapsing" AL East team, but can anyone explain what the hell happened to the Rays?

Look at their roster. They SHOULDN'T be good. Their lineup is hilariously terrible.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Pungry posted:

They paid a player (arguably still below what he will be worth) and it broke the compact they had with Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

n: m's have won their two series against the best team in the majors and took the season series 4-2

v: the 2022 seattle mariners are for real and, barring a hilarious and tragic collapse, will have more than a puncher's chance to go deep in the playoffs