Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They should have to grind all the way through the mini-tours to Q School (or whatever it is they call it these days) to get their cards back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

i am a moron posted:

The product is absolute garbage and it’s honestly bullshit how all this is happening. Greg Norman can gently caress himself

They have enough money to figure it out eventually.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Quite a shame that all this has happened but I'm not sure how the PGA can compete financially with another tour that doesn't ever have to be profitable and can throw retarded amounts of cash at whoever they want and not care if they ever see a return on it. Overall it probably means I watch less golf on TV which sucks. :(

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

daslog posted:

They have enough money to figure it out eventually.

Unless they buy the PGA tour, they won’t. I don’t want to watch a bunch of people taking Saudi bag money to play on lovely Trump courses

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

i am a moron posted:

Unless they buy the PGA tour, they won’t. I don’t want to watch a bunch of people taking Saudi bag money to play on lovely Trump courses

I won't be watching either, but then again I only really watch the Masters because between the awful commentators that never shut up and the endless commercials, professional golf is awful TV.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Dr. Capco posted:

Quite a shame that all this has happened but I'm not sure how the PGA can compete financially with another tour that doesn't ever have to be profitable and can throw REDACTED amounts of cash at whoever they want and not care if they ever see a return on it. Overall it probably means I watch less golf on TV which sucks. :(

Let's not please

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think this is a bit of a surprise. Maybe the Tour's arguments will hold up better than expected in court.

https://twitter.com/GolfCentral/status/1557132251632209921

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I dunno it seems to me like they would have some sort of protection for this type of situation built into their contracts. They’re a sports league not a telecoms company.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Cam Smith going across is a terrible blow to the tour and the game of professional golf, if he does.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think this might be the wake up call the PGA should pay attention to. Their TV coverage mostly sucks. It’s been the same formula for decades, time to maybe listen to the old guys like Peter Kostis, and change their broadcast formula and the licensing rights etc.

Most tournaments there is golf being played, yet we have a golf central pregame show for an hour, because of the licensing rights with whatever network and the PGA.

Also, while there is golf being played they instead put Nantz (or insert whatever lead you want based on network) to pontificate for 15 minutes and not show golf.

How about womens golf coverage? They show the leaders and would rather show them walking from tee to their ball than show other golf that’s happening.

American sports coverage needs to take a lesson from Sky Sports and F1. Get a sponsor, reduce commercials, show more of your sport.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I watch a shitton of golf and the TV coverage seems fine? I never watch any preround stuff and it flows well. Not like that’s even the problem here. You can watch it without sound and it’s fine. If I was the PGA I’d just start granting exceptions and let LIVs lovely product languish while these jerks take the Saudi bag money at this point.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The thing about the current broadcast format i hate the most is that if they cut to a commercial and do the split screen with the broadcast, the commercial takes up way more screen space than the actual event. I don't really care if there's ada packed in since they've paid a pile of money to advertise, but it definitely should not ever overtake the actual event being shown.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
If I wanted to watch lovely golf at lovely courses id book a tee time this weekend.

How do you build a sport with what LIV and to a much lesser extent, the PGA is providing? There’s more excitement in a darts tournament. Couldn’t agree more with the dude saying golf needs to reevaluate it’s draw, because you can’t just keep carting a broken Tiger out there for weekend views.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
The constant commercials, lovely overall coverage, and need to flip between multiple license holders are the reason why I don’t watch pro golf. Let’s not even mention their treatment of LPGA…

I have an F1TV subscription and it’s great. No commercials, multiple feeds, multiple commentaries. If I could watch PGA like that I would watch it all the loving time.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
espn+'s coverage of pga events is pretty good, but broadcast contracts mean they don't follow the leaders around on Sundays. Still, it's a solid on-in-the-background for Thursday and Friday afternoons while working

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The thing I don’t get about complaints with the playing through split screen coverage is that, to my understanding, the alternative is no split screen and only commercials.

I do think there’s too much time spent in the booth, but Nantz especially has so much pull with CBS that he may not want to give up HIS camera time, if indeed that’s built into his contract.

Another thing is that people talk about how PGA Tour coverage shows too much of the pre shot routine whereas LIV is just shot after shot, more “action”. This is basically the Redzone Channel approach. If you’ve ever watched Redzone, you quickly notice it’s useful for highlights but you have ZERO sense of how a particular game is flowing. I would rather watch my home team’s broadcast with commercials. In the case of golf, because the viewers also tend to play, the flow of a round is essential, including the time sent deliberating over how to play a shot.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I just want the bigger screen to be the actual broadcast or at least have them both be the same size so I don't have to get up close to my TV to see the event.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

I think this is a bit of a surprise. Maybe the Tour's arguments will hold up better than expected in court.

https://twitter.com/GolfCentral/status/1557132251632209921

Why was it a surprise. It really had no chance.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’m not sure if this is possible but the main thing I dislike about TV golf is how hard it is to track what’s going on, who’s in contention, what strategies and play styles are being used, what’s the hole layout. Maybe it’s just impossible to get into all that, but I really dislike the jumping around shot to shot to shot with 0 context given. Suffice it to say LIV is moving in the opposite direction of what I’d like to see.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Why was it a surprise. It really had no chance.

This isn't a court decision, this is just getting started. All the judge did here was say 'you don't need immediate relief because you made more money by going to LIV so the current ban stays in effect until the trial which happens next year.

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 10, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
in non-LIV chat:

After working through some swing changes using Monte Scheinblum's videos, my 5 iron has gone from a rather inconsistent 180 yards max with a pull tendency to a solid 200 average with a subtle draw, but at the same time, I've been struggling mightily with driver. Like, nothing but shanks, on the course and on the range, looking and feeling like I've never hit a club before in my life. Realized that when I widen my stance for driver and woods, I tend to really let my right foot flare out, like I would do if i was doing sumo squats at the gym. After changing my stance to a fully square back foot, I'm once again able to hit a driver at the range (well 2 sessions in and it's working), so Friday we'll see if it works for real.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
I rarely watch tournaments, but I love golf YouTube. Just discovered Bob Does Sports and it’s great. I don’t think there’s any other sport where I would enjoy amateurs over the pros. PGA should do some scrambles.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Autistic Speculum posted:

I rarely watch tournaments, but I love golf YouTube. Just discovered Bob Does Sports and it’s great. I don’t think there’s any other sport where I would enjoy amateurs over the pros. PGA should do some scrambles.

If you want to be outrageously frustrated with your golf game I highly suggest checking out Good Good on YouTube. They've done a couple collabs with Bob Does Sports too. It's a group of six "kids" (early-mid 20s) who are just outrageous golfers and their videos are highly entertaining and incredibly well edited and put together.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

YouTubes I watch:

Good Good, they used to annoy the poo poo out of me but have calmed down a lot and put out good content. Sometimes I check out gm_golf and Micah's channels as well. They put out a 3 hour vid with Rick Shiels yesterday I have to finish

George Bryant (RIP wesleys card)

Zac Radford

Sometimes Mark Crossfield but I have to be in the mood for him

Golf Sidekick

Not A Scratch Golfer

And Bobby Fairways but kinda have to be in the mood for them too. Cold Cuts can be a little much

Man I watch a lot of golf tubes

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

If you want to be outrageously frustrated with your golf game I highly suggest checking out Good Good on YouTube. They've done a couple collabs with Bob Does Sports too. It's a group of six "kids" (early-mid 20s) who are just outrageous golfers and their videos are highly entertaining and incredibly well edited and put together.

Yeah I watched some of their stuff a while back and didn’t get into it at first. I’m only guessing this, but they seem to have a rich Christian vibe which soured me since I grew up with people like that. However, I kept watching them because Garrett, Grant, and Micah have incredible swings. And now I really enjoy their videos. Looking forward to the stuff they made with Rick Shiels.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah I watched some of their stuff a while back and didn’t get into it at first. I’m only guessing this, but they seem to have a rich Christian vibe which soured me since I grew up with people like that. However, I kept watching them because Garrett, Grant, and Micah have incredible swings. And now I really enjoy their videos.

This is 100% accurate for Garrett, Matt, and maybe Steve. Micah has that faith based mojo but he's the oldest one and actually had to operate in the real world before Good Good exploded. There was definitely a bit of that undertone in earlier videos but that seems to have mostly gone away.

I don't watch much Bob Does Sports because I can play that kind of golf but it's good for a laugh now and then.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah I watched some of their stuff a while back and didn’t get into it at first. I’m only guessing this, but they seem to have a rich Christian vibe which soured me since I grew up with people like that. However, I kept watching them because Garrett, Grant, and Micah have incredible swings. And now I really enjoy their videos. Looking forward to the stuff they made with Rick Shiels.

The stuff they've made with Rick has been excellent so far. I think Micah is trying to go pro too, which would be awesome to see happen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

The stuff they've made with Rick has been excellent so far. I think Micah is trying to go pro too, which would be awesome to see happen.

They sponsor a guy on the Korn Ferry Tour who won last week, Andrew Kozan.

Edit: Good Good only exists because Garrett, Matt, and Stephen had a failed channel with Brodie Smith(?) who is/was the big swinging dick on YouTube for frisbee stuff. They dropped Brodie, picked up Micah, switched to only golf content and the rest is, as they say, history.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 10, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

They sponsor a guy on the Korn Ferry Tour who won last week, Andrew Kozan.

Edit: Good Good only exists because Garrett, Matt, and Stephen had a failed channel with Brodie Smith(?) who is/was the big swinging dick on YouTube for frisbee stuff. They dropped Brodie, picked up Micah, switched to only golf content and the rest is, as they say, history.

Ya I've seen a few videos with him in it, awesome that he's won.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
There's a Youtube golfer out of Southern California who makes some good content. He plays some of the courses I do and he talks about his shot selection and couse management a bit and has some good drone footage of the courses. His channel only has like 3k subscribers, so check him out if you get a chance.

Terminator Golf.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

in non-LIV chat:

After working through some swing changes using Monte Scheinblum's videos, my 5 iron has gone from a rather inconsistent 180 yards max with a pull tendency to a solid 200 average with a subtle draw, but at the same time, I've been struggling mightily with driver. Like, nothing but shanks, on the course and on the range, looking and feeling like I've never hit a club before in my life. Realized that when I widen my stance for driver and woods, I tend to really let my right foot flare out, like I would do if i was doing sumo squats at the gym. After changing my stance to a fully square back foot, I'm once again able to hit a driver at the range (well 2 sessions in and it's working), so Friday we'll see if it works for real.

I've been going to monte for 4 years now and I'm hitting the ball better than I ever dreamed of. Monte is the truth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

in non-LIV chat:

Assuming you're right handed, flaring out your right foot is a bit unusual. Chances are you were rotating your hips a lot more in your backswing with your driver which caused your upper and lower body to go out of sync.

For a right handed golfer, usually the only toe flaring that's done is with the left foot to help clear the hips through impact.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Assuming you're right handed, flaring out your right foot is a bit unusual. Chances are you were rotating your hips a lot more in your backswing with your driver which caused your upper and lower body to go out of sync.

For a right handed golfer, usually the only toe flaring that's done is with the left foot to help clear the hips through impact.

Yeah, I took like 10 years off from golf getting back into it last season, and took up weightlifting in the meantime, so when I came back, my idea of an "athletic" stance at address was like a bit of flare on both feet. Wasn't much of a problem until I made some swing changes this season to fix an over-long backswing, and then realized that when I set up wider, I tend to really turn that right toe out unless I consciously set it square. Figured it out while taking some practice swings in my backyard and with the square stance it immediately felt like when I shifted to my left foot, my hips stayed back without having to force them back. Whereas before, I'd really have to consciously avoid coming forward during the downswing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I got to play my first Robert Trent Jones trail course today! Highland Oaks in Dothan. At the advice of my 3hci playing partner, we played the Magnolia's and the Highland courses, and skipped on Marshwood since I'm not hitting it very well right now.

I don't feel nearly as bad about my GIR numbers after realizing how tiny my home course's greens apparently are. Every one of them was 3-4 clubs in size and with wicked tiers. Look at size of these things!

I didn't get a ton of pictures but wow what a track.

Those massive greens were all pretty much three greens in one. I would have been 4-putting everything without the benefit of laser yardages. hosed is an understatement if you're on the opposite side of one. I had to use my sand wedge a lot today just to chip because of the elevated greens. Everything rolled true and conditions were spot on.

I felt like I had a banner day out there for someone of my handicap.

I also got WAY too much sun today because I insisted on wearing my UGA ballcap instead of my usual tilley hat because I was in enemy territory :v:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 10, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I've just started watching Good Good and holy poo poo those guys can hit a ball. It's not all long drive madness either, they can place and putt. I enjoy their content, they're doing a series in the UK which is fun. I don't even think about my game watching them, their super heroes compared to what I'm doing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

This isn't a court decision, this is just getting started. All the judge did here was say 'you don't need immediate relief because you made more money by going to LIV so the current ban stays in effect until the trial which happens next year.

Yes, the emergency request had zero chance. The suit has a very, very low chance.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

squirrelzipper posted:

I've just started watching Good Good and holy poo poo those guys can hit a ball. It's not all long drive madness either, they can place and putt. I enjoy their content, they're doing a series in the UK which is fun. I don't even think about my game watching them, their super heroes compared to what I'm doing.

I really, really enjoy the main Good Good channel. The Knockout videos are entertaining, and most of the other videos are scramble teams (2v2v2 or 3v3). Matt Scharff (the guy who made a hole in one on a par 4 as well as a par at PGA National) was SUPER obnoxious in earlier videos, but in the last...6-9 months, he's been focusing on lowering his handicap, so he's a little more serious and less obnoxious.

Grant has an amazing swing, Tig (Micah) is a bomber, Steve is kinda there but a good guy, and Garrett is Mr. Clutch, but Bubbie might be the best. The dude is relentlessly positive. He can bit a little too cigar-chompy, but his mentality is aspirational.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Kameh posted:

I really, really enjoy the main Good Good channel. The Knockout videos are entertaining, and most of the other videos are scramble teams (2v2v2 or 3v3). Matt Scharff (the guy who made a hole in one on a par 4 as well as a par at PGA National) was SUPER obnoxious in earlier videos, but in the last...6-9 months, he's been focusing on lowering his handicap, so he's a little more serious and less obnoxious.

Grant has an amazing swing, Tig (Micah) is a bomber, Steve is kinda there but a good guy, and Garrett is Mr. Clutch, but Bubbie might be the best. The dude is relentlessly positive. He can bit a little too cigar-chompy, but his mentality is aspirational.

Matt can still be a little extra, he knocked one stiff in the newest video and screamed like a banshee, at which point Rick had to point out they had bought out the course for the day (!!!) so that wasn't going to bother anyone.

I do appreciate how supportive they all are of each other, nearly every shot gets a positive response from someone, even if it's a "best you could do from there" when a pitch rolls off the green or something.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They do a pretty fantastic job of self-censoring themselves to keep the content wholesome too.

Bubbie's match with Rick Shiels has him dropping a whole bunch of naughty language (bleeped on Rick's channel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Shrapnig posted:

Bob Does Sports is great, Good Good is ok but I find the dude with the glasses and his shouty frat boy energy so loving annoying I don't watch any of their videos. gm_golf is the better version of Good Good.