Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr. Fix It posted:

n: m's have won their two series against the best team in the majors and took the season series 4-2

v: the 2022 seattle mariners are for real and, barring a hilarious and tragic collapse, will have more than a puncher's chance to go deep in the playoffs

The August Yankees aren't anywhere close to the best team in the majors. They are a very mediocre to bad team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
now Yankees fans can join the rest of us in looking at the Houston Astros at the top of the standings

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mcmagic posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttt

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1557503871064293376?s=20&t=d-ZgOySIsfSdTLC_oTHpVw

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hell yeah

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Idk if you wanna give your team a trophy go for it, I’m p sure even less teams will win this award than the World Series. Does it really feel that bad when they lose that you need more validation?

Edit - actually surprised how often the winningest team changes yoy from a glance, been a lot of different teams recently in both leagues
My point was that I don't think Crazy Ted's analogy from MLS really tracks for MLB.

I think it's something baseball should do regardless. And to be clear it should be two per year, one in each league. Literally just exactly what it meant to Win The Pennant up until 1969. Plenty of non-Dodger fan traditionalists bemoan the expanded playoffs, this would be a sort of consolation prize to those fans.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 11, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Johnny Bravo posted:

now Yankees fans can join the rest of us in looking at the Houston Astros at the top of the standings

*bangs garbage can*

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

speak for yourself

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So I watched the M's/Yanks highlights on MLB.com.

The M's play by play guy calls everything like its the 9th inning of game 7 of the world series, huh?

I mean...wow.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

davecrazy posted:

So I watched the M's/Yanks highlights on MLB.com.

The M's play by play guy calls everything like its the 9th inning of game 7 of the world series, huh?

I mean...wow.

Yeah, Aaron Goldsmith kicks rear end.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
More casters should be like Spanish soccer casters

Goldsmith’s dinger calls are great and he had some funny moments last night

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLydiaCruz/status/1557248137634451457

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 11, 2022

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

y'all should listen to some dave niehaus and kevin calabro. we like our sportscasters expressive in the pnw and goldsmith is carrying that torch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

:hmmyes:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna post the "What a silly hack!" video to every idiot Seattle Times columnist that post another dipshit opinion piece on how Bellevue is going to be better than Seattle to their twitter accounts from here on out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sure it'll become the most overused meme in the playoffs this year

But I'll still laugh every time

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1557491291583307787

Judge's 15th HR in his last 30 games

On pace for 65

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

judge's turn to be tungsten arm

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
judge should sign with the mariners next year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

judge the angel, wanna see how they manage to make a trout/judge/ohtani/rendon lineup underachieve

I think the they're the one team that you could just add prime Barrold to and I wouldn't worry about them at all

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

judge the angel, wanna see how they manage to make a trout/judge/ohtani/rendon lineup underachieve

I think the they're the one team that you could just add prime Barrold to and I wouldn't worry about them at all

They'd just lose every game 12 to 10

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You mean the 1 game a year they USED to play there.

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/1557450132320387072?s=20&t=8Wb13I167mPqHjtMqZlzAg

It's ok, Apple got 100 million 5 years ago to build a data center that has yet to turn a shovel of dirt. Easy to get state money here if you can deliver a photo op with the gov.

The headline of the article says that MLB won’t be back because the field is going to be under construction building a youth stadium. They’re open to MLB returning after that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sandy Alcantara is sublime

Such a joy to watch

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Such a joy to watch

I am watching him for the first time and my goodness, he is outstanding. Stupid Cashman!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Wow y'all jinxed him hard

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Such a joy to watch
Leading the NL in innings pitched and batters faced while also leading it in ERA and ERA+ strikes me as kind of absurd.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bird in a Blender posted:

The headline of the article says that MLB won’t be back because the field is going to be under construction building a youth stadium. They’re open to MLB returning after that.

That’s a load bearing open. If MLB considered the field of dreams game one of their “crown jewels” you’d assume they’d find a way to avoid taking year 3 off. It was a great gimmick last year coming off the Covid season with a big TV production, but I’m curious to see this year’s ratings compared to the first game.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

Wow y'all jinxed him hard

Sorry. :negative:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1557549853529497600?s=20&t=kgKMENhCWofhC7d0iEs6vA

:hmmyes:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That’s a load bearing open. If MLB considered the field of dreams game one of their “crown jewels” you’d assume they’d find a way to avoid taking year 3 off. It was a great gimmick last year coming off the Covid season with a big TV production, but I’m curious to see this year’s ratings compared to the first game.

Trade in for a few nickelodeon games where the WP gets slimed and an nvp is declared.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs couldn't arrange their rotation to get Stroman in the Corn Game? Instead, they're sending out Drew Smiley? C'mon man.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs couldn't arrange their rotation to get Stroman in the Corn Game? Instead, they're sending out Drew Smiley? C'mon man.

Extremely sad Kyle is too injured to pump some old timey 85 MPH cheese in the zone surrounded by corn.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man the Astros sure got dunked on in extras eh?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
quintana has been everything you could hope for from a pitcher of his caliber btu chris stratton has been just terrible, as expected

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

fuckin gobsmacked to have learned from that latest dorktown vid that barry bonds homered in 7.7% of his at bats

just impossible to wrap your head around that

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tatsuta Age posted:

fuckin gobsmacked to have learned from that latest dorktown vid that barry bonds homered in 7.7% of hit at bats

just impossible to wrap your head around that

McGwire hit 10.6%!

It’s ridiculous to think about those guys. I wish I could’ve seen some of the older players live but growing up in the heyday of 90s and 00s baseball absolutely ruled.

Mike_V posted:

quintana has been everything you could hope for from a pitcher of his caliber btu chris stratton has been just terrible, as expected

Yeah pretty much. This inning is ugly. Helsley is probably about to do his thing but he really shouldn’t have to.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pungry posted:

I completely understand why the focus is on the Yankees as a currently "collapsing" AL East team, but can anyone explain what the hell happened to the Rays?

I think the Rays have a ridiculous number of players on the Injured List, that can't be helpful.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

McGwire hit 10.6%!

It’s ridiculous to think about those guys. I wish I could’ve seen some of the older players live but growing up in the heyday of 90s and 00s baseball absolutely ruled.
Makes me wish I maintained my queryable database of all baseball stats from the Lahman database, it was fun looking up things like who were the truest TTO% folks (Mark Reynolds was good: 47%, Rob Deer: 49%, McGwire's not bad: 45.6%, etc.) and something like this would be trivial to query.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah but can he make up 7 games on the Mets?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Makes me wish I maintained my queryable database of all baseball stats from the Lahman database, it was fun looking up things like who were the truest TTO% folks (Mark Reynolds was good: 47%, Rob Deer: 49%, McGwire's not bad: 45.6%, etc.) and something like this would be trivial to query.

What was Adam Dunn? Surely he’s the king of this stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

adam dunn's white sox era was one of the most perplexing stretches i have ever seen from a major leaguer