Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

the first time I played I didn’t get out of the tomb and didn’t come back for a while
not very christly of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
think i might have a problem ???

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1557589645147324417

is this me going full weeb

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jonny i hate to tell you this but we've all known for a while. it's ok. we accept you

https://youtu.be/wDajqW561KM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god, eva seems so long ago. i havent put that poo poo on in like so long

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you start posting about vtubers we're gonna have to put you down though, it's the humane thing to do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

buying an anime game soundtrack on vinyl is awfully twee

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

buying an anime game soundtrack on vinyl is awfully twee

after some consideration, I'll allow it, but I've got my eye on you so watch your rear end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it honestly is the most anime game of all time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anime on vinyl is boomerweeb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

people who have strong opinions about Gigantor canon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

drat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oof

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

agree

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The frustrating thing about the 8bitdo controllers is they have a wide variety of features but not all of the features are accessible in any one emulation mode -- the gyro isn't available in the Xbox emulation, the analog triggers are purely binary in the Switch emulation, the Android mode (normal USB HID DirectInput) limits basically everything and I've never gotten the macOS mode (some kind of half-assed DualShock 4 emulation) to work at all

i have a pro+ and really wish it had a generic gamepad mode of it's own instead of insisting on emulating other devices. also for some reason the triggers on the pro+ come off way too easily. i usually find one in the bottom of my bag if i'm traveling with the thing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
xbox controller on pc continues to reign supremacy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive had the same wired xbox controller for for my pc for like 15 years now and it’s still extremely needs suiting

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

especially when you get Microsoft to make you one special like I did

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the hori wired Xbox controller is pretty good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doubt i'll but anything not 8bitdo again unless i get burned several times

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

game pass games do not like my 8bitdo at all, so i still use an old 360 controller and the 8bitdo gets used for playing steam games on my ipad

Jonny 290 posted:

youll be truly lost when you buy all the artbooks for the minions and glams contained within

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

game pass games do not like my 8bitdo at all, so i still use an old 360 controller and the 8bitdo gets used for playing steam games on my ipad

i play all my game pass stuff with an 8bitdo, version difference maybe?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
started up another playthrough of Three Houses a few weeks back and already planning my next run through after this one is complete

it's pretty good. kinda wish i wasn't late to the party on it but i only really picked it up at the end of last year

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I want to like three houses more

The battle gameplay is almost perfect, but I have very very low tolerance for the school nonsense

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

started up another playthrough of Three Houses a few weeks back and already planning my next run through after this one is complete

it's pretty good. kinda wish i wasn't late to the party on it but i only really picked it up at the end of last year

You should play the old fire emblem games. I think sacred stones is a good starting point.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i play all my game pass stuff with an 8bitdo, version difference maybe?

possibly. maybe it depends on the game? I tried it on a few and it gave me the wildest button mappings and nothing i did seemed to fix it so I just gave up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

chaosbreather posted:

awesome

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

possibly. maybe it depends on the game? I tried it on a few and it gave me the wildest button mappings and nothing i did seemed to fix it so I just gave up

you sure you're getting the xbox mode on it? on mine start+x when turning on (e.g. start+y for switch) but yours might for all i know be different.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RokosCockatrice posted:

yo the slight extension of the dpad and button circles to accommodate the twin sticks makes that controller look stacked

When your PS1 controller goes on HRT

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 11, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

This is good, im trynna find time to pick up that new strategy game, triangle strategy? Looks similar and has really good reviews, and the art style is supremely my jam

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I want to like three houses more

The battle gameplay is almost perfect, but I have very very low tolerance for the school nonsense

You can auto-play basically all of it and the tactical gameplay isn't challenging enough that slightly suboptimal units will impede your progress significantly. Probably the biggest thing you'd miss out on is the side-conversation unlocks that contain a lot of the story or at least a lot of the background for why things are the way they are.

A lot of the school stuff does become a bit of a chore after the second or third (or fourth or fifth in my case...) playthrough but the monastery fast-travel menu and the NG+ carry-over alleviates a lot of that. It does also tickle that same spot that new-XCOM tickles where you have a strategic plan in mind (for your units' specialization and development in this case) that you're setting up from basically day one and then right as the difficulty starts to ramp up everyone's endgame build comes online all at once. The game's difficulty curve is very W-shaped and the strategic planning aspect meshes with that very nicely.

My main problem with the gameplay is that the unit types are horribly unbalanced so each promotion tier has about three Objectively Correct unit types and the other five are completely worthless.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You should play the old fire emblem games. I think sacred stones is a good starting point.

A friend recommended that I try Awakening. I tried it, didn't really hit for me. The plot and characters were too cliche and one-dimensional and I didn't really care about them. The closest thing to an interesting character is Lucina and she's still a fairly one-dimensional anime waifu. It didn't have the, well, houses that Three Houses had so you didn't have three groups of characters that had dense support webs and common backstories with each other. Support conversations are lifted straight out of YOSPOS in that absolutely nobody will ever shut the gently caress up about food no matter what the actual topic of discussion is.

Maybe I'll give Sacred Stones or Genealogy a go. I understand Japanese btw :smug: so I can try some of the older ones as well but it sounds like they some really nasty jank and I'm going to miss the newer QoL stuff. At least you can imitate the turnwheel using emulator savestates.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's a lot of words to say that I like Three Houses a whole heck of a lot. The world and characters and plot and music are captivating to me and the gameplay is very good too, with a few caveats. It's been a very long time since something really sucked me in to that extent and it almost feels like a game from the mythical imaginary Time Back When They Still Made Good Videogames (i.e. back when I was a teenager and my brain still knew how to produce dopamine) and not something that came out in 2019.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

A friend recommended that I try Awakening. I tried it, didn't really hit for me. The plot and characters were too cliche and one-dimensional and I didn't really care about them. The closest thing to an interesting character is Lucina and she's still a fairly one-dimensional anime waifu. It didn't have the, well, houses that Three Houses had so you didn't have three groups of characters that had dense support webs and common backstories with each other. Support conversations are lifted straight out of YOSPOS in that absolutely nobody will ever shut the gently caress up about food no matter what the actual topic of discussion is.

Maybe I'll give Sacred Stones or Genealogy a go. I understand Japanese btw :smug: so I can try some of the older ones as well but it sounds like they some really nasty jank and I'm going to miss the newer QoL stuff. At least you can imitate the turnwheel using emulator savestates.

That sounds like every fire emblem game though. If you play some of the older versions people have made translation and balances patches that fix the game a lot.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I wanted to like Fire Emblem, but I want it to be as simple and streamlined as Into the Breach so I am forever unsatisfied.

I love Into the Breach, though... it satisfies a lot of my urge to play chess (tactical positioning and board state manipulation) without actually having to play chess and wait until the endgame for things to get interesting.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

chess is good but the opening is very poorly paced and the plot is full of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://twitter.com/seanathon_Oak/status/1557006014310150149

i... i did not except that.