Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just curious if there are any goons that are HIV/AIDS positive. It's a disease that's never really talked about anymore and as I understand it's because it's largely manageable with ART treatments. That said...

How did/do you think you contracted HIV?
Was it before or after the advancement of ART treatments?
How has it changed your body?
What considerations do you need to have that you didn't before?
What happens when you do get sick?
What's something that's not widely known about living with an incurable disease?

Feel free to chime in with other questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
I caught AIDS reading this thread

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
"Ughh, no Peg." - me replying to this thread, lol!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
But seriously I'm sorry if you or someone you love has contracted HIV. My understanding is that its an very manageable disease in 2022.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
imgay

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I know someone who killed themselves over it. It's only manageable if you have/can afford healthcare.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I have lemonaids OP.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I worked with a guy who had had it since ~1987 and was some kind of amazing immunosuperman in that his viral count was so low for so long the virus was basically stopped in its tracks. He required, and had, no treatment until 2014. I had no idea such a thing was possible. Dude was also a hilarious character.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I thought i had it but turns out it was just gas.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
My godfather lived with Aids. It's a rollercoaster. And you do every thing you can for your loved ones

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I worked with a guy who had had it since ~1987 and was some kind of amazing immunosuperman in that his viral count was so low for so long the virus was basically stopped in its tracks. He required, and had, no treatment until 2014. I had no idea such a thing was possible. Dude was also a hilarious character.

I met someone who has a hemophiliac brother, and during the course of treatment in the 80’s he was injected with HIV+ Factor VIII many, many times. He never got infected, somehow, but he was injected with the exact same batch that infected Ryan White. I guess the guy must have another rare genetic mutation besides just hemophilia.

Karol-Man
May 14, 2022

by Fritz the Horse

E-P posted:

hahahahaha, so funny!!!!

Karol-Man
May 14, 2022

by Fritz the Horse

E-P posted:

YOUR post, gave ME AIDS!! hahahhaha

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don’t have either but I thought I did for a while after I had a battery of STD tests done. Everything came back negative but then I got a phone call from the lab saying that the HIV test results were delayed.

Cue two weeks of going back through the past several years of sexual partners and wondering how the hell I was going to communicate the news. The disease is manageable now but I didn’t realize how big the stigma still is until it hit close to home.

It’s pretty funny in hindsight but at the time it felt like a life-changing moment. Which.. again it’s manageable now so it shouldn’t.

Anyways my buddy says that the pills are pretty gross and they need to wash them down with soda or beer instead of water

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 11, 2022

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Not me. I always use a condom on my needle

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im hiv/aids negative : i don't like it

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I wish.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I always see ads for HIV treatment on the bus. what the gently caress are people doing on the bus???

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

STABASS posted:

I always see ads for HIV treatment on the bus. what the gently caress are people doing on the bus???

STABASS posted:

gently caress on the bus

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Yeah there's been like three or four cases of people who are naturally immune to it, which sort of boggles my mind tbh

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I used to read the GBS covid thread and I assume any time a goon says "I'm immunocompromised" it's code for "I have AIDS". I myself have neither AIDS nor the hivvy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I used to read the GBS covid thread and I assume any time a goon says "I'm immunocompromised" it's code for "I have AIDS". I myself have neither AIDS nor the hivvy.

I am immunocompromised, and I do not have anything like HIV. Completely negative for everything. I have to get regular checks even if I am not actively having sex because my body loves getting sick so we play it safe.

The funniest part is when everyone talks about herpes and go "everyone has it" and I say no. "What about cold sores?" never had them, never tested positive. "Chicken pox is a form of it." I've never had chicken pox. "That's not good!"

Yeah, thanks, you're the first person to let me know. Up until now I had no idea, despite spending a good portion of my spare time talking to doctors and poo poo making sure I don't get sick because it will gently caress me up or kill me.

I don't know if people assume I was some kid that was constantly disinfecting everything and avoiding personal contact to not get sick, but no, I just never caught the classics like chicken pox and now as an adult it's Very Not Good For Me(TM).

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah there's been like three or four cases of people who are naturally immune to it, which sort of boggles my mind tbh

he wasn't one of those, as he had been getting treatment since 2014, but he was clearly drat close. and iirc the meds made it undetectable in him, which is less crazy but still. drat lucky for somebody who was living it up as a young gay man in the mid 80s - most of his peers from then are long gone.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

More likely to be cancer treatments or transplant receiver - HIV drugs are so efficient that it should leave your immune system untouched.

Of course, I work at a cancer hospital so I may have a bias.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

STABASS posted:

I too ride the bang bus to my workplace, the BJ factory

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know if people assume I was some kid that was constantly disinfecting everything and avoiding personal contact to not get sick, but no, I just never caught the classics like chicken pox and now as an adult it's Very Not Good For Me(TM).

You know you can get vaccinated against chicken pox, right?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You know you can get vaccinated against chicken pox, right?

yeah i was gonna say. thank god my kids are never gonna have to go through that poo poo. i got it when i was 17 and it was probably the worst illness i've ever experienced

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm guessing a vaccine being available isn't the point

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Their working on a HIV MRNA vaccine in trial right now:

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/no-go-fda-affimed-looks-elsewhere-aml-bispecifics-first-human-study

Like its possible in the next 2 years that we get a HIV Vaccine because of all the work done on MRNA Vaccines.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm pretty sure that if you have an auto immune disease and you're taking medication for it often that makes you immunocompromised

Like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus etc

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hollismason posted:

Their working on a HIV MRNA vaccine in trial right now:

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/no-go-fda-affimed-looks-elsewhere-aml-bispecifics-first-human-study

Like its possible in the next 2 years that we get a HIV Vaccine because of all the work done on MRNA Vaccines.

that's absolutely incredible and I hope it works! :neckbeard:

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Not really. My husband has HIV and was working as a lab supervisor at a hospital during the pandemic. He has also been very good about managing it, so he's not really immunocompromised and 8s currently "undetectable", meaning his viral load is so low that a test wouldn't pick up the HIV infection and, more importantly, can't spread it.

It sucks to live with. You gotta take a lot of pills all the time and it's like 2000 bux a month without insurance, unless you have access to a public program that will cover you (those were a life saver for us).

From what I can tell those meds suck to take and the whole thing tends to drive up cholesterol, so now we gotta switch to vegetarian foods to get it under control. Like cooking and eating around that diet, but I would feel a lot differently if it was something I had to do.

Worst bit is the stigma. I'm just the spouse so I only got a taste of it, but you can't bring this up without people taking it as an invitation to ask all kinds of personal questions. Like my husband is an incredible guy, the sort who rose above and broke out of generational poverty and abuse, survived horrific homophobia, beat an HIV diagnosis and a meth addiction to go on and run a hospital lab during a pandemic. He's got some stories and all of them are more interesting than "I had a fail Aids Grindr hookup"

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I don’t have AIDS but I’m definitely a bug chaser.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

E-P posted:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Not really. My husband has HIV and was working as a lab supervisor at a hospital during the pandemic. He has also been very good about managing it, so he's not really immunocompromised and 8s currently "undetectable", meaning his viral load is so low that a test wouldn't pick up the HIV infection and, more importantly, can't spread it.

It sucks to live with. You gotta take a lot of pills all the time and it's like 2000 bux a month without insurance, unless you have access to a public program that will cover you (those were a life saver for us).

From what I can tell those meds suck to take and the whole thing tends to drive up cholesterol, so now we gotta switch to vegetarian foods to get it under control. Like cooking and eating around that diet, but I would feel a lot differently if it was something I had to do.

Worst bit is the stigma. I'm just the spouse so I only got a taste of it, but you can't bring this up without people taking it as an invitation to ask all kinds of personal questions. Like my husband is an incredible guy, the sort who rose above and broke out of generational poverty and abuse, survived horrific homophobia, beat an HIV diagnosis and a meth addiction to go on and run a hospital lab during a pandemic. He's got some stories and all of them are more interesting than "I had a fail Aids Grindr hookup"

im sorry that sounds hellish for both of you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

being harassed by people as well as the hiv

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
My mom worked on an HIV compound for like 3 years until her coworker discovered that the initial study the head guy had done was done incorrectly, that the results were hosed up and couldn't be replicated and that the compound had zero percent promise.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

did any goons catch it from a needle hidden in a pay phone coin return slot or hidden in the skin of an apple or one of those other wild non-sex and non-shooting up ways parents warned their kids about in the 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Bad Purchase posted:

did any goons catch it from a needle hidden in a pay phone coin return slot or hidden in the skin of an apple or one of those other wild non-sex and non-shooting up ways parents warned their kids about in the 90s?

I was driving at night and someone on the other side of the road had their high beams on. I flashed my lights at them and I got aids.