Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is anyone glad it's darker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
gently caress, Shawscope Vol 2 coming out in November

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

It definitely makes the light sources in the night scenes pop in a very satisfying way. Dunno, I kinda expect these very deep blacks and darkness from Mann at this point. That’s part of his aesthetic. Even old Miami Vice episodes lean into that lurking shadows/guns coming from the dark lurid look.

I ain’t upset, I think it largely works more often than not.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Tried making a custom slipcover (side loading), stealing the art idea from the Plain Archive premium I’ll never afford.

Came out a little hosed up but a fun process!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Where do I order one?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thatoaklandkid posted:

Tried making a custom slipcover (side loading), stealing the art idea from the Plain Archive premium I’ll never afford.

Came out a little hosed up but a fun process!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

TheScott2K posted:

So francis ford coppola made the godfather uhds brighter, and michael mann made heat, a movie with a daytime shootout scene, darker

Alright, sure is fun living in bizarro world.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat i should rewatch Sicario.

TBF it's a really nice boxset

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 10, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Wasn’t someone in this thread asking for Earth Girls are Easy on BD? Cause that’s been announced.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wasn’t someone in this thread asking for Earth Girls are Easy on BD? Cause that’s been announced.

I WILLED THIS poo poo INTO EXISTENCE

pwn posted:

Earth Girls Are Easy Blu-ray when

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

now do The Terminator

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I WILLED THIS poo poo INTO EXISTENCE

Do Fright Night 2 please.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Picked up my Jack Reacher steelbook that I got for $cheap from BB. This is the first steelbook I've bought and tbqh I previously thought they were kinda gimmicky. But it's really nice, and now I'm gonna change my Top Gun: Maverick preorder from the combo pack to the steel book...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Picked up my Jack Reacher steelbook that I got for $cheap from BB. This is the first steelbook I've bought and tbqh I previously thought they were kinda gimmicky. But it's really nice, and now I'm gonna change my Top Gun: Maverick preorder from the combo pack to the steel book...

I had a conniption about buying the John Wick 1-3 Steelbook despite owning the first two on UHD. It looked so good but I couldn’t justify dropping the $50 or so.

Nowadays, Ive picked up UHDs I’m on the fence about on day 1 because it had a nice enough Steelbook. Looking at you Dr. Strange in MoM.

The Knives Out Steelbook was incredibly well-done. I picked up the Clueless Steelbook cause it looked good.

It’s such a smart marketing moves. Incentivize FOMO and it works.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I can't stop rewarding them for making the normal cases so drat bad

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Specs for Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 3 are out...

All six films with Dolby Vision.
Atmos remixes on all except It Happened One Night and The Last Picture Show
Original mono, stereo, or surround mixes on all films, plus 5.1 options for Atmos titles.
Both theatrical and director's cuts on The Last Picture Show
Several bonus feature films newly remastered in HD: You Can't Run Away From It (1950s remake of It Happened One Night starring Jack Lemmon and June Allyson), To Sir With Love II (TV movie directed by Peter Bogdanovich), Little Orphan Annie (1930s adaptation),
TV pilots for From Here to Eternity and To Sir With Love
Full 1980 miniseries adaptation of From Here to Eternity remastered in HD

Doesn't look like any Criterion extras are brought over on It Happened One Night or The Last Picture Show, but all six films have at least one commentary.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

oh snap. i don’t think this has been available since laserdisc

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Egbert Souse posted:

Specs for Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 3 are out...

All six films with Dolby Vision.
Atmos remixes on all except It Happened One Night and The Last Picture Show
Original mono, stereo, or surround mixes on all films, plus 5.1 options for Atmos titles.
Several bonus feature films newly remastered in HD: You Can't Run Away From It (1950s remake of It Happened One Night starring Jack Lemmon and June Allyson), To Sir With Love II (TV movie directed by Peter Bogdanovich), Little Orphan Annie (1930s adaptation),
TV pilots for From Here to Eternity and To Sir With Love
Full 1980 miniseries adaptation of From Here to Eternity remastered in HD

Doesn't look like any Criterion extras are brought over on It Happened One Night or The Last Picture Show, but all six films have at least one commentary.

That's pretty good honestly

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well, if we're willing blu rays into existence, my vote is for Malpertuis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFajJwjTNOs

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The Devils :pray:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dude, Where's My Car? :pray:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Dude, Where's My Car? :pray:

With the commentary from the DVD

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vampire Happening is a cult classic in search of a cult, and a nice bluray release from Vinegar Syndrome is just what it needs to find it's audience.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Willing a Jackie Chan's Who Am I? UHD into existence :pray:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

Vampire Happening is a cult classic in search of a cult, and a nice bluray release from Vinegar Syndrome is just what it needs to find it's audience.

So is it The Happening, but with vampires?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The big dream release for me that will never happen is a comprehensive Hammer horror set. And it would have to be released in multiple volumes but just some sort of set where I could eventually own every horror movie Hammer did without having to track them all down individually.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Crowned posted:

So is it The Happening, but with vampires?

“Happening” in the 1960s sense, a groovy party.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

I still wanna watch Mark Walberg get chased by vampires

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Shyamalan should make The Happening 2 where the plants just make everything mellow, man.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good Time came out 5 years ago today, so it would be cool to see Good Time on UHD, as it's currently only on Blu. It's got some pretty striking visuals, it was shot on 35mm (I think) and there's a UHD of Uncut Gems, so it's not out of the realm of possibility!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Scorsese's After Hours still doesn't have a blu-ray, and we're years into the 4k UHD format.

After Hours does have a page on blu-ray.com that says Criterion, though. :ninja:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

doomisland posted:

Willing a Jackie Chan's Who Am I? UHD into existence :pray:

I’m kinda shocked Eureka or 88 haven’t done it, given how relatively comprehensive their Jackie and Sammo Hung releases have been so far

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Franchescanado posted:

Scorsese's After Hours still doesn't have a blu-ray, and we're years into the 4k UHD format.

After Hours does have a page on blu-ray.com that says Criterion, though. :ninja:

I think Criterion did announce it a few years ago, there's probably some weird delay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The big dream release for me that will never happen is a comprehensive Hammer horror set. And it would have to be released in multiple volumes but just some sort of set where I could eventually own every horror movie Hammer did without having to track them all down individually.
Yeah. That’s a pain in the dick. Seems Hammer’s stuff is all tied up in rights issues. Buying things piecemeal is annoying, especially when you find out you don’t particularly care for The Mummy’s Shroud for example. There’s crap in Universal Monster sets too, but it’s part of a set so it’s not a big deal.

Second Sight is releasing a The Mummy Blu-ray at the end of the month so I’ll probably grab that.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Columbia Classics volume 3 is up for pre order on Amazon now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9C847Z2

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Willing things into existence is my gimmick. Please get your own routine or at least use that energy to will the special edition Freaked blu-ray into existence.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Or Abyss or True Lies!

48Hrs coming to UHD! I think that means most of the super classic 80s Eddie movies are accounted for, I think.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I’d settle for The Abyss on blu ray at this point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I willed the Highway to Hell Blu into existence. Relatively obscure but I love it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shawscope vol 2 officially available for preorder at Arrow

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Return to the 36th Chamber
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Five Superfighters
Invincible Shaolin
Kid with the Golden Arm