Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't really like it, but Banished was kind of the first entry to this style of game. It's triggered a number of clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I dunno why Banished got such a cult following, it was (to me) pretty mediocre.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Qubee posted:

I dont know if I would say that it has a cult following, yeah there are a lot of games that ripped it off but it's generally just considered a pretty good execution on what it wanted to do. It wasn't exactly pulse pounding farm action but it was highly functional.

It's one of those games where there's a lot that went into making it a good game that only becomes apparent when you play the clones that don't have those features laid out correctly and are a total mess because of it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Banished was a competent, unexciting city builder that was in the first generation of city builders to have learned some lessons from Dwarf Fortress. At the time it was released nobody had made a city builder game in a decade or so, so it kind of sticks in the mind.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, possibly pretty mediocre overall but very good in the colony-building niche.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Banished was a competent, unexciting city builder that was in the first generation of city builders to have learned some lessons from Dwarf Fortress. At the time it was released nobody had made a city builder game in a decade or so, so it kind of sticks in the mind.

Yeah, this is most of it I think. I loved Banished, it really clicked for me and combined the survival and management genres in a very satisfying way, but it's not for everyone. It came out at a time when far fewer games were being released, and when a competent production from a solo dev was still a notable thing that got some free pr.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Banished was the (as far as I remember) first place-everything-city-builder to be based in some first principles civics instead of a rigid supply chain puzzle or tax number go up. It has a really limited set of buildings and supply chains compared to others (unless you get the totally insane colony mod) so you've built one of every building by maybe the 3 hour mark if you're rushing.

Instead it's got stuff like Malthusian traps, drawn out collapses because your education infrastructure failed, drawn out collapses because your buildings are uninsulated and consuming the entire forest, drawn out collapses because of interruption in tool supply etc. It's got a lot of systems to go wrong more than a lot of supply chain or tech complexity.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There was a mod for Banished that really expanded the resources and added more to do that I recall enjoying a lot. That said, yeah I'm sure going back to it Banished in tyool 2022 probably feels pretty barebones

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

I'm starting to see skeleton warriors point about tiers being rather cruel and frustrating. A blacksmith requires tools, but tools are produced by blacksmiths. So presumably tools will need to be a traded commodity to start some aspects of development in the game, which seems rather mean...

It's the same story for other productions. Some things are pretty much closed off unless you trade for the correct commodity to begin opening up the channel, but that trade is at the whims of the RNG going on with the trade caravans.
I'm theoretically okay with that gameplay design, depending on how the trade caravans are implemented. Do most caravans have tools, or do you have to plausibly spend years twiddling your thumbs waiting for the tool guys to show up to progress? It sounds like it could easily be obnoxious, but what are peoples experiences with this in practice?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Eiba posted:

I'm theoretically okay with that gameplay design, depending on how the trade caravans are implemented. Do most caravans have tools, or do you have to plausibly spend years twiddling your thumbs waiting for the tool guys to show up to progress? It sounds like it could easily be obnoxious, but what are peoples experiences with this in practice?

I have to confess that I don't really have a major issue with it either, so long as it is decently implemented. The notion that you have to get "seed corn" from outside, so to speak, before you can get your own industry up and running doesn't really bother me as a concept.

Sort of like colonists needing to get machine tools from the motherland before being able to develop their own industry fully.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

explosivo posted:

There was a mod for Banished that really expanded the resources and added more to do that I recall enjoying a lot. That said, yeah I'm sure going back to it Banished in tyool 2022 probably feels pretty barebones
Colonial Charter.

Eiba posted:

My limited experience is that the traders rarely have the one or two things I'm looking for at that moment. They seem to be kind of themed, like one trader is pretty obviously primarily a hunter/trapper, one is a miner, etc. Their inventory may start expanding once you upgrade the trading post. I hope so.

Also I seem to have found that even one farm will drastically change your food situation. Within two years I went from almost starving in winter to oh poo poo I need more root cellars.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Qubee posted:

It invented it's own subgenre of city builders, with it's dwarf-fortressy-simulation of settlers. And some of it's clones are pretty shameless copycats, down to it's "one big rectangle with one edge being the designated 'door'-edge"-thing.

By itself, the game is rather boring.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Banished is also notable for being tantalizingly close to a great game. Something like 50% of the people who play it end up saying "I want to make a game that's a flat improvement on Banished, I have so many ideas." It's kinda clear when you play that the dev had a more-or-less finished product and was either burnt out or needed money or similar and so he released Banished in early 2014 and intended to update it, but ended up doing a few rounds of bugfixes. The dev said he was working on a sequel in 2018 and posts a devblog every once in a while, but I wouldn't expect it for another few years.

I started a new game of Banished this weekend and ran into some of the worst luck I've ever seen. Year 24 on hard my colony was doing exceptionally well, just about to cross over 100 population so I finished construction of a second school and mused "you're practically done when you build a second school" when a tornado touches down right next to my town, rips through my barns and kills ~45 people. I have no stored food and I just lost 1/2 my pop, so I frantically fix everything up and I get my first ever starvation deaths, two people that were on long jobs and didn't make it back to a food source before dying.

during the tornado, you can see the path was basically from north through the SE, destroying several houses and barns, the ruined building just east of the stockpiles is a church, ouch!

the population drop. You can see some of the devastation to the north-east

Five years later things are going well and we're climbing back to about 70 people when another tornado forms. In banished, tornadoes are a type of disaster that can befell your colony and they are the most rare. The other disasters are things like a sickness spreading that can be stopped with a hospital, or an infestation in a crop field that will ruin that crop and might jump to other fields of the same type. These are annoying, but with proper planning you can essentially negate them. Tornadoes are generally a once every 20 or so years event and they often just spawn in the corner of the map and move threateningly towards the center, but dissipate before doing anything. So when this second tornado forms just south of my town, I pause and laugh for a minute.

It meanders north and flattens my school, one fishing dock, and some of my rebuilt houses. I lose another 20-25 people, including all my students. This is dangerous because of the way Banished works. I will not have any new adults for several years. The dock is unfortunate, but with less people I don't have to worry as much about food. The houses complicate things even further though, because now I'm going to have several houses with old widows and widowers (survivors from the first tornado) who will not have any children and the young couples can't move into a new house to start families. There's a way around this, but it's cheaty, so instead of doing that (set a house to demolish so the occupants leave, then remove that order so new people will move in) I throw everyone on gathering stone immediately and a crop of new houses are built. After enduring the die-off of the oldest folks and celebrating the first school graduations in several years...
a third tornado hits, demolishing the trade posts but only killing the two traders. It did hit each of my animal pens, killing all my cows and sheep, and almost all my chicken. Not the worst, but now I have no stone and can't really trade for more till several years out. This happened 8 years after the first tornado. I'm now 20 years after the first tornado and I've just crossed the 100 population marker, but I still haven't managed to get any more cattle from traders, lol.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, now I might have to install Colonial Charter again because the tricks and systems they had to build like, way more dense towns and things were really neat off of the base Banished engine.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man, now I might have to install Colonial Charter again because the tricks and systems they had to build like, way more dense towns and things were really neat off of the base Banished engine.

I looked at the banished reddit the other day and apparently there's a mega mod they all use now. I was going to take a look and see what it all does, but maybe someone here has experience with it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Qubee posted:

Yeah I bounced off banished and its (to me at least) demand for excess perfect planning or everything would collapse in all of a week schtick. Hearing a game compared to it makes it an auto avoid for me.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It helps that it really was a one-man show, which impressed everyone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Farthest Frontier question: How do you get compost added to a farm? I can’t seem to find any way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Timberborn just added earthmoving to the experimental, there's a lot of new content in there now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Two Point Campus has been fun so far.

My thoughts

The presentation and graphics are nice and I feel it's a way more fun setting than the hospitals were.
The announcement lady gets a bit repetitive even if the lines themselves are good. Unavoidable if you're binging this game though.
The school years I feel move too fast, in contrary to what others said. I'm almost always limited by money and that only comes at month end. So I get money, spend it all as fast as possible, and I'm just waiting for more.
Pathfinding can be a little janky. I had like a dozen people college wide just standing in place with a ??? over their heads for an entire school year and the 4 pages of stats on each character never explained the "where do they want to go and why can't they go?" part.
I keep selecting objects to move when I'm trying to select something else or just trying to exit build mode.

I think the one I'd change about 2PC is the information. Like I said, I can know what kind of jam like they like on their toast, but the game will not tell me why people's pathfinding and scheduling are broken or what I need to go and resolve. Is a lab set up to block people from using it? hosed if I know, but I know everyone's jam preferences and who their BFFs are.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Timberborn just added earthmoving to the experimental, there's a lot of new content in there now.

And it requires golems to use :(

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

skooma512 posted:

The school years I feel move too fast, in contrary to what others said. I'm almost always limited by money and that only comes at month end. So I get money, spend it all as fast as possible, and I'm just waiting for more.
Pathfinding can be a little janky. I had like a dozen people college wide just standing in place with a ??? over their heads for an entire school year and the 4 pages of stats on each character never explained the "where do they want to go and why can't they go?" part. ...

Like I said, I can know what kind of jam like they like on their toast, but the game will not tell me why people's pathfinding and scheduling are broken or what I need to go and resolve. Is a lab set up to block people from using it? hosed if I know, but I know everyone's jam preferences and who their BFFs are.

TBF this has been my experience of higher education

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I played through the demo for Ixion, it left me fairly cold on the game. For one thing the demo ends as you wrap up the tutorial so you only get hints at what the actual challenges and decision points are going to be.

Maybe the exploration/colonization part of the game will be fantastic but only having the basic building stuff to go on it seems pretty flat. There is little to no strategy to building placement, it is purely just 'fit these rectangles into this grid', resources generate so slowly and are transported so quickly that there doesn't seem to be much point to optimizing travel times. The wider resource/power/society management stuff seems very light and is obviously taking a lot of inspiration from Frostpunk and Cliff Empires, and in some places even directly replicating things from Frostpunk, which is fine I guess (I love Frostpunk) but doesn't give me huge hope that the parts of the game that aren't in the demo are going to be full of new and interesting ideas.

The story is laid on extremely thick and is delivered with voice acting that is competent but not good enough to be convincing. The writing is very cliche, you have a megacorp with a very utopian marketing message and a very Elon Musk/Steve Jobs type CEO that will inevitably prove to be cold and profiteering, there is an AI advisor with a vocaloid voice giving you your objectives, again none of it is bad as such but it's all stuff you've seen multiple times before and it leads me to assume that the rest of the game will be similarly rote.

Would love to be proven wrong when it hits 1.0, I do like the setting and the concept overall. It gives good technobabble too, the warp drive equivalent is something that lets you travel through "Self Similar Space" and the sequence at the very end of the demo where you fire it up for the first time and jump to Proxima Centauri is cool as hell.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Farthest Frontier question: How do you get compost added to a farm? I can’t seem to find any way.

I believe you have to wait for one of the three bins to fully process which takes approximately forever, but if you've already gotten that far I have no idea.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wallet posted:

I believe you have to wait for one of the three bins to fully process which takes approximately forever, but if you've already gotten that far I have no idea.
Yeah all three “bins” are full, all three say “ready” or whatever, and the building itself has two icons floating above it — one that says it’s full and the other saying something like “compost is ready to add to fields”.

But I can’t find any command, checkbox, slider or whatever that has to do with compost. Farm workers won’t add it if you give them the “work field” command. Maybe a bug, I dunno. But if I don’t figure it out soon, the villagers are going to start noticing a new mountain outside of town.

By the way, the game currently has a pretty huge bug with farms, where sometimes the workers just won’t plant anything. Devs know, say a hot fix coming soon, maybe tonight.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Click the Compost Pile Status of the stall thats 100%

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh sonofa

Thanks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Farthest Frontier: Okay, I think one of the core concepts to the game is definitely trade. There are quite a few resources that you HAVE to trade for, like livestock and heavy tools - consider that heavy tools are made from iron bars, but to make a blacksmith to make the iron bars you need heavy tools. It also takes forever to build walls so I think on a restart, I'm definitely going to surround my main buildings with walls and then expand outside of them. The raiders are very good at what they do, even if you manage to stop MOST of them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

FF should let me as the pilgrims I'm playing with assume these people died from demonic possession rather than tell me it was rabies, let me worry about what diseases are screwing my people over, we don't know, we shovel our poo poo into wheelbarrows still.
Ultimately what I'm asking for is give me exorcists and snake oil salesmen

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Do not, repeat not, run out of soap. Yikes.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I concur that not building walls IMMEDIATELY absolutely wrecks your poo poo. I might as well start again :(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Im only playing on normal atm but a guard tower or two have kept the bandits at bay for me.

Also never run out of wood.

EDIT:

Finally get my field surrounded by walls so the deer stop eating my crops and bandits come and destroy parts of the wall. Now I got deer eating my fields and a bear stealing my honey. The bastards are going to pay.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 12, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I absolutely loved Two Point Hospital but I really have no desire to play Campus after the first hour or so. It's just not as satisfying to me when you're not seeing lines of people build up/disappear and money rolling in as you become more efficient at running patients through your system. I know there's elements of that in TPC but it just isn't hitting the same way that TPH did for me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Would Cult of the Lamb be a management game?, cuz god damned im having loads of fun.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe? Tell us about it!

I've been looking at it, because it does claim to be a roguelike management game, and the premise looks hilarious, but I don't know enough about it to know whether it'd be a good game for me - I suck at action games, and end up just shelving them in frustration. How action dependent is it? What do you have to manage? Is it fun?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Maybe? Tell us about it!

I've been looking at it, because it does claim to be a roguelike management game, and the premise looks hilarious, but I don't know enough about it to know whether it'd be a good game for me - I suck at action games, and end up just shelving them in frustration. How action dependent is it? What do you have to manage? Is it fun?

I haven't played but literally everyone I've seen talking about it says that the action part is incredibly easy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd say it's a management game in the same way that Farmville is a management game. That's not really a drag against it, I spent all last night playing it, more that it's a lot of collecting resources and placing buildings that generate more resources, then passing the time running dungeons or just walking around talking to the villagers.

Actually, the closest comparison might be something like Recettear. You make gold to spend on items to help you quest, which gets you items to build up your supplies with, which gives you gold to buy items to help you quest, repeat. They feed into each other pretty well but there isn't really a "strategic layer" to the cult per se.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
FF hot fix last night seems to have fixed the farm problem. Also tweaked some of the maintenance costs. I’ve already seen the rat catcher now costs 8 gold/mo instead of 12, and the barracks cost per soldier went from 10 to 8. Compost yard is still 4, and healer house still 30 (ouch).

Pub has been moved to T3, so I’m guessing it’s going to be significantly harder to get your town center to level 3, since pubs greatly increase area desirability even if you have no beer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So Final Farthest Frontier worth playing in its current state? At first the thread seemed to say no, so I don't have it, but now it seems like it might be ok for a buy?

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think so but I was in dire need of a chill town building game. It definitely has issues but I was expecting that and none of them are game breaking.. it's just some tasks don't flow as nicely as they should given how often you need to babysit them.

I've happily played it ~1 a night ever since I got it.