Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

shoulda read the images thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

chess is good but the opening is very poorly paced and the plot is full of holes.
"one night in bangkok" is a genuine banger though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

I wanted to like Fire Emblem, but I want it to be as simple and streamlined as Into the Breach so I am forever unsatisfied.

I love Into the Breach, though... it satisfies a lot of my urge to play chess (tactical positioning and board state manipulation) without actually having to play chess and wait until the endgame for things to get interesting.

i want some to do an Into the Breach to the civ series

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

distortion park posted:

i want some to do an Into the Breach to the civ series

I'm not sure there's much you can do to get that 4x feel in a small 45 minute loop though... 🤔

Slipways has the "explore and build trade routes" part... but no combat or diplomacy...

Just something about the good feelings generated by exploration, taking away territory from an enemy, and seeing the machine you built become more and more efficient at what you want to do.

Hell, the board game MegaCiv still takes 12 hours, and I think it's the closest to what an Into The Breach style CIV game would be...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

the guys at y2k sports put way too much effort into this lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For a couple years the FIFA volta have had a cool story and campaign

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the guys at y2k sports put way too much effort into this lol

except the animation on yard nazi

maybe no one wanted to mocap that guy

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

except the animation on yard nazi

maybe no one wanted to mocap that guy

this was done by the youtube channel "y2k sports", this is not a real thing

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

MrQueasy posted:

I'm not sure there's much you can do to get that 4x feel in a small 45 minute loop though... 🤔
Check Through the Ages out, it is extremely Civilization and you can finish a game in about half an hour.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Naar posted:

Check Through the Ages out, it is extremely Civilization and you can finish a game in about half an hour.
its a pro-tier tabletop game as well

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was done by the youtube channel "y2k sports", this is not a real thing

uh… it’s clearly real because I watched it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

its funny because its so believable

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
is this the year of gaming on linux with nvidia cards or is that too unbelievable?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

is this the year of gaming on linux with nvidia cards or is that too unbelievable?

Not enough steam deck production. Try again next year.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Naar posted:

FMguru posted:

its a pro-tier tabletop game as well

I forgot about this one! I'm a bigger fan of the board game though, and I feel like the computer version of it just lacks the tactile joy that the physical game brings.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

Not enough steam deck production. Try again next year.

amd deck

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

I'm sorry Mr Sartre, but we're out of milk! Would you like your coffee without cream instead?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its so good

https://twitter.com/UaLaoghaire/status/1557843942116311044

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

someone should pay him to add on the final line

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cult of the Lamb is real good. The elevator pitch is Binding of Isaac with base building Animal Crossing flavors and a real cute art direction. Banging pick from Devolver Digital.

Combat music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfHSotdwjI

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

I forgot about this one! I'm a bigger fan of the board game though, and I feel like the computer version of it just lacks the tactile joy that the physical game brings.
this is always the case - except gloomhaven which is just too much cardboard and plastic, so i prefer the digital version

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

this is always the case - except gloomhaven which is just too much cardboard and plastic, so i prefer the digital version

digital gloomhaven is amazing, a great evolution in the genre, i can't imagine playing it physically though.

MrQueasy posted:

Slipways has the "explore and build trade routes" part... but no combat or diplomacy...

Just something about the good feelings generated by exploration, taking away territory from an enemy, and seeing the machine you built become more and more efficient at what you want to do.

Hell, the board game MegaCiv still takes 12 hours, and I think it's the closest to what an Into The Breach style CIV game would be...

That's true - the exploration part of civ has always been a bit limited though. I suppose my criticisms are more on the mechanical parts of Civ which are so slow moving and a really trimmed down version could be a lot more fun. A strategic game entirely focussed on exploration and trading could be super cool as well actually.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

distortion park posted:

digital gloomhaven is amazing, a great evolution in the genre, i can't imagine playing it physically though.
if you want to play it physically get jaws of the lion instead. mostly same mechanics but a smaller tighter campaign, and the skirmish maps are all in a spiral-bound book instead of having to lay out a bunch of tiles. you just play on the book. it’s so neat and handy

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

xbox controller on pc continues to reign supremacy

ps5 controllers are pretty good nowadays too (and they do work out of the box without installing anything just like the xbox ones)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

Cult of the Lamb is real good. The elevator pitch is Binding of Isaac with base building Animal Crossing flavors and a real cute art direction. Banging pick from Devolver Digital.

Combat music:

bought this this morning, but won't get a chance to play until later. devolver poo poo is almost always a must-buy for me

distortion park posted:

i played a friend's copy and he's bought a ton of aftermarket bits to make things easier to manage and it's still a ton of effort. i have jaws of the lion and yeah, there's less setup but you still have to manage individual enemy health and poo poo and it's a huge pain.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The helper app is pretty essential to playing physical gloomhaven IMO. Streamlines all the enemy-related stuff massively and allows everyone to focus on their own character.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

Combat music:

i am enjoying this. i'm doing the thing where i decide on an upgrade path and then as soon as i get mats i level something completely unrelated.

combat isn't that challenging two bosses in. we'll see how my opinion changes as i get deeper.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jabor posted:

The helper app is pretty essential to playing physical gloomhaven IMO. Streamlines all the enemy-related stuff massively and allows everyone to focus on their own character.

does it do stuff for the jaws of the lion too? i bought that a while ago and my wife and i played the intro round but we haven't taken it out since then. i usually have trouble remembering poo poo so having an app prompt me through the steps and calculations would be good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jaws of the lion should be the #1 game on boardgamegeek instead of its larger bloated brother imo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eeyo posted:

does it do stuff for the jaws of the lion too? i bought that a while ago and my wife and i played the intro round but we haven't taken it out since then. i usually have trouble remembering poo poo so having an app prompt me through the steps and calculations would be good.

it does, yeah

though it's not officially available any more (you can grab the desktop version through archive.org, dunno where you'd get android/ios versions from)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I bought the FFX soundtrack and do not regret my decision.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it has a good sound

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I bought the sheet music for the piano arrangements and it's so good.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

ive been playing the table top version for 3+ years (prob several hundred hours playtime at this point) now and can confirm that it is A Lot.

cjs: playin though the hardspace shipbreaker campaign and getting pretty good at gutting these ships

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

akadajet posted:

I bought the sheet music for the piano arrangements and it's so good.

I have that too, but my skill at piano was really bad lol.

I still find myself whistling the faith hymn in that game from time to time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orchestral music owns, every game should have it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cult of the lamb has hard locked twice and ive lost progress both times so the game is dead to me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it's been fine so far in the switch, but i'm not super deep in with a complex compound or anything

it does get a bit choppy, but not terribly so far. i played the demo on pc, so i didn't expect it to be as smooth. I'm chalking it up to bullet hell style bosses, but it'd be nice to see a polish pass patch

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

KidDynamite posted:

cult of the lamb has hard locked twice and ive lost progress both times so the game is dead to me

Oof that's unfortunate. The only bugs I've encountered so far have been visual, like flooring coming back after I've removed it, two follower heads (no bodies) engaged in conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i haven't played a ton yet but it seems to be working fine on my steam deck