Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

Either
1) Y'all are so gross your caustic skin grease is destroying highly refined apple products or
2) Apple chooses materials that look good out of the box, but aren't durable

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

As a former Titanium G4 owner whose laptop bent just from picking it up from the corner I'ma gonna go with #2, Monty

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I demand the other way around. I want a lightning -> ethernet adapter for my iPhone. :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

yeah you laugh now but next time you're stuck somewhere micaless - like a chump - you'll regret not having some with you.
mica schist? more like mica scheisse!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my apple watch band wears down the edge on my 2021 mbp

the left edge of the case is shiny and curved now cuz of it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sniep posted:

my apple watch band wears down the edge on my 2021 mbp

the left edge of the case is shiny and curved now cuz of it

yeah i did the same to my thinkpad x1 carbon with the milanese band, and theres a nick in my 2021 14" mbp from that watch band

i used to use the velcro sport loop to avoid destroying keyboards but switched to the rubbery nike sport band

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

FlapYoJacks posted:

I demand the other way around. I want a lightning -> ethernet adapter for my iPhone. :colbert:

you mean like this one?:

Lysidas posted:

i finally ordered a https://redpark.myshopify.com/products/gigabit-ethernet-power-adapter-l6-netac and a https://redpark.myshopify.com/products/usb-micro-b-cable-for-lightning-1000mm-l-b-10 to connect my phone to ethernet and charge it at the same time

all of the reviews of the $20 lightning - ethernet adapters ive seen said stuff like "it gets really hot when its in use, and it was fine for two weeks then completely stopped working, i had it replaced under warranty and the replacement was fine for two weeks then completely stopped working"

i probably got this just in time for the iphones 12 to switch to usb-c or something, but i plan to keep this 1st gen se until it no longer gets a new version of ios anyway

it works real good except for imessage and facetime, apparently those need apple ethernet adapters (mac address check i think), though i have less need for it after moving and my current office getting much better wifi signal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

Either
1) Y'all are so gross your caustic skin grease is destroying highly refined apple products or
2) Apple chooses materials that look good out of the box, but aren't durable

porque no los dos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 2015 mbp is in very good condition except for some coating on the screen itself is coming off
doesn’t affect the image but you can see it on the black part especially where thumb opens lappy and also a few lines wheee the keys press when it’s closed

not bad for 7 years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my MacBook (2017 12”) is perfectly pristine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

my MacBook (2017 12”) is perfectly pristine

:smugmrgw::hf::smugmrgw:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

my 2015 mbp is in very good condition except for some coating on the screen itself is coming off

there was a recall on these. take it to the store and they might replace it for free

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool i just found a thing that said my iphone 8 will support the new ios when it comes out. this makes me happy cause i wanted to wait until usb-c iphones were available to buy a new one

it's startin to get real long in the tooth, though. the thing where i click the camera button and it takes a solid 2-3 seconds to actually trigger is starting to happen, which is obnoxious a f

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/MartinNobel_/status/1557685036211912704

7, 3, 4

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lmao what is Google on about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

like when the credit card companies threw together some crappy platform to try to slow down adoption of apple pay, but with messaging and way too late and so far about as successful

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

an imessage competitor reliant on every telecom provider not loving up the implementation and interop

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

their messaging strategy is such a disaster that theyre reduced to begging apple to help them out: https://www.android.com/get-the-message/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/new-google-site-begs-apple-for-mercy-in-messaging-war/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

in a well actually posted:

an imessage competitor reliant on every telecom provider not loving up the implementation and interop

also it's not E2E encrypted most of the time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

their messaging strategy is such a disaster that theyre reduced to begging apple to help them out: https://www.android.com/get-the-message/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/new-google-site-begs-apple-for-mercy-in-messaging-war/

interesting

now i'm curious why apple hasnt released iMessage on the app store

the obvious answer is because they want to drive device sales, so i guess im glad they dont go for the killing blow

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

haveblue posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

like when the credit card companies threw together some crappy platform to try to slow down adoption of apple pay, but with messaging and way too late and so far about as successful

wasn't that curren-c, where it generated a qr code for the cashier to scan to take money from your bank account directly

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

work issued dell laptop is such a piece of poo poo (who issues an engineer who does field work from time to time a laptop with no loving ethernet port) that I just did a cutover with my personal m1 air because it was going to be less of a pain. eat poo poo dell

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

maybe anroid would be in a better messaging place if google didn’t kill their messaging apps every quarter !

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

doesnt that emoji mean horny

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

champagne posting posted:

maybe anroid would be in a better messaging place if google didn’t kill their messaging apps every quarter !

meet the new Meet, same as the old Meet, except not really, and now it's called Meet classic and also the old Meet you can still use to meet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

champagne posting posted:

maybe anroid would be better if google didn’t kill their apps every quarter !

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it'd be an obvious good for everyone except possibly apples bottom line if they just made imessage available on other platforms, not least it'd save the handful of android users not already on one of the portable alternatives from google trying to reinvent chat apps yet again.

i don't think anyone seriously tries to use googles or the telecoms ideas of direct messages in ityool 2022 though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m gross as gently caress and my macbooks never get corroded by my acid blood

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

wasn't that curren-c, where it generated a qr code for the cashier to scan to take money from your bank account directly

yeah there was that, which was like a consortium of WalMart-et-al and the rollout them turning off the NFC stuff on all their terminals for a few years just to make the cockblock work

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

also it's not E2E encrypted most of the time

like literally only in peer-to-peer conversations if both parties are using google's messenger of the day...and I'm pretty sure half the emoji react-style things are also bolted on to the "standard"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

code:
Google's proprietary fork of RCS

Being from 2008 means RCS lacks much of what you would want from a modern messaging standard. First of all, as a standard, RCS is carrier messaging, so messages are delivered to a single carrier phone number, rather than multiple devices via the Internet, like how you would expect a modern service to operate. As a standard, there's no encryption. Google tried to glom features onto the aging RCS spec, but if you consider those part of the RCS sales pitch, which Google does, now it's more like you selling "Google's proprietary fork of RCS." Google would really like it if Apple built its proprietary RCS fork into iMessage.

Google's version of RCS—the one promoted on the website with Google-exclusive features like optional encryption—is definitely proprietary, by the way. If this is supposed to be a standard, there's no way for a third-party to use Google's RCS APIs right now. Some messaging apps, like Beeper, have asked Google about integrating RCS and were told there's no public RCS API and no plans to build one. Google has an RCS API already, but only Samsung is allowed to use it because Samsung signed some kind of partnership deal.

If you want to implement RCS, you'll need to run the messages through some kind of service, and who provides that server? It will probably be Google. Google bought Jibe, the leading RCS server provider, in 2015. Today it has a whole sales pitch about how Google Jibe can "help carriers quickly scale RCS services, iterate in short cycles, and benefit from improvements immediately." So the pitch for Apple to adopt RCS isn't just this public-good nonsense about making texts with Android users better; it's also about running Apple's messages through Google servers. Google profits in both server fees and data acquisition.
yup cool lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it'd be an obvious good for everyone except possibly apples bottom line if they just made imessage available on other platforms, not least it'd save the handful of android users not already on one of the portable alternatives from google trying to reinvent chat apps yet again.

i don't think anyone seriously tries to use googles or the telecoms ideas of direct messages in ityool 2022 though.

the rest of the world just uses whatsapp

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

being in the rest of the world i certainly do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kazinsal posted:

work issued dell laptop is such a piece of poo poo (who issues an engineer who does field work from time to time a laptop with no loving ethernet port) that I just did a cutover with my personal m1 air because it was going to be less of a pain. eat poo poo dell

your m1 air has an ethernet port?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
99% of the people I chat with use WhatsApp or wechat or line. iMessage is dead as gently caress for anyone outside the us

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah even in the uk almost all my messaging is done through whatsapp because it’s just what the people I need to text use

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

your m1 air has an ethernet port?

if you're not getting an ethernet port anyway why not chose the nicer machine?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

gently caress using whatsapp it’s owned by facebook

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i hope apple implements rcs but makes the color even grosser than green, like orange or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if 99% of your texting isn't imessaging various emojis to your partner