Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Look I need this settled, I gotta have this squared off and only the Wisdom of The Goons can save me

If I am talking to a group of folks of all genders and I say 'Welcome my dudes to the hottest game of Hungry Hungry Hippos you will ever play" am I being a turbo dick? Will people get upset at me and refuse to put on the hippo costumes I bought?

I understand that the term Dudette also exists for the ladies but how often is this actually applied? What's a dude-specific term for enbys? I assumed Dude applied to all dudeselves regardless of gender. I paid a lot to book this roller rink to have nobody dress up like a colourful hippo while melon balls are thrown their way.

If someone bristles at me calling them Dude it is not a problem, no sir, but this conflict is not settled yet and it has to be discussed and would anyone like to be Pink Hippo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
it is to me. so is bruh

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
only if you say it like the guy from hey dude

heyyyyy duuuuude

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
People who get offended at gender neutral 'dude' don't sound like people you need you your life dude.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I've always considered dude to be gender neutral

most of my close friends are women and i use it and they don't seem to care

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
youse guys can say dude whenever you want

but if someone tells you they don't like it you should probably stop

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
this poo poo was settled by hit ska band Less than Jake in like the late 90s, "we're all dudes"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nooner I am not sure how i feel about that new av

it's nice and disturbing but its going to take some getting used to

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

it is to me. so is bruh

:haibrow:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Folx

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

I want dude to be gender neutral but it's not :smith:

I can only speak from my own experience but it don't go down well anymore.

Great alternatives are the aforementioned 'folks,' plus 'filthy cowards,' 'sluts and slurs,' and 'DUELISTS'

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
It's a little bit masculine. It isn't strictly men only, but you can only use it towards women that would be comfortable wearing a backwards ball cap and a flannel shirt. Never call a trans woman a dude unless she's the kind that's comfortable boymoding. It's generally safer with cis gals but not like, completely.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Comrades, co-conspirators, etc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do as I do and just call everyone a dumbshit motherfucker OP, you dumbshit motherfucker

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
yes. it's dudo if you're referring specifically to a man and duda if you're referring specifically to a woman, dude is the neutral form

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's gender neutral until someone asks you not to use it or seems uncomfortable with it, in which case you should obviously stop

context also matters, generally when you're using it to refer to a person or group of people directly it's more gender neutral than if you're addressing someone or someones not present. e.g. 'hey dudes let's grab some t-bell and go bowling' is more gender neutral than 'how many dudes have you slept with?'

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

oldpainless posted:

Do as I do and just call everyone a dumbshit motherfucker OP, you dumbshit motherfucker

this is probably safest advice

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo "dude" can be gender neutral or male depending on context or even region. i know some people definitely do not like being called that, others might not care, it's personal but not something i would use to address a large mixed group

"friends" is simple and nice, or maybe "comrades"

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
its dudx

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
The Dude enby-des

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Dude is gender specific in certain time and place. English is fun.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
It’s gender-based, but in a friendly, inclusive kind of way?

If someone addressed a mixed group of people as “My dudes”, I’d assume they meant “This group of people with whom I’m comfortable and generally consider friends”.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Irl it depends on tone

If the "ewww" sound is drawn out it is

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Baxter posted:

It’s gender-based, but in a friendly, inclusive kind of way?

If someone addressed a mixed group of people as “My dudes”, I’d assume they meant “This group of people with whom I’m comfortable and generally consider friends”.
This is correct

I will change my answer to this

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

it's gender neutral and telling me otherwise is disrespectful to my californian heritage

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Actually its d-

gently caress

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If someone asks you not to call them dude just don't call them dude. It's very simple and easy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What's up my duds

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's gender neutral until someone asks you not to use it or seems uncomfortable with it, in which case you should obviously stop

context also matters, generally when you're using it to refer to a person or group of people directly it's more gender neutral than if you're addressing someone or someones not present. e.g. 'hey dudes let's grab some t-bell and go bowling' is more gender neutral than 'how many dudes have you slept with?'

yep. same with calling a mixed group "guys", gender neutral unless specifically used as a gendered word. it's fine and i'm not saying folks or any of that dumb poo poo. like anything tho, if people ask you to call them something or don't call them something, it's trivially easy to comply and hurts no one at all :cheers:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

What's up my duds

:dudsmile:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It can be used to refer to a dude or a lady dude imo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I try not to say it anymore, Du.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If you get offended at being called dude actually lol.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea dude

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If someone calls me "dewd" online can I legally hit them if I see them on the street

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Songbearer posted:

If someone calls me "dewd" online can I legally hit them if I see them on the street

Yes, but only while giving them dap

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't speak to other people, op.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Unsurprising

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

now that dude seems settled, what about homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yep. same with calling a mixed group "guys", gender neutral unless specifically used as a gendered word. it's fine and i'm not saying folks or any of that dumb poo poo. like anything tho, if people ask you to call them something or don't call them something, it's trivially easy to comply and hurts no one at all :cheers:

:hmmyes:

I always hear “you guys” from women to women (i.e. “you guys want anything?”) but won’t use it myself to a group of women or a mixed group and prefer the neutral “does anyone want anything?”

It includes everyone equally.