Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Homelander doesn't have a coherent worldview. He's a psychotic narcissist who can't spend 15 minutes alone without having a breakdown and talking to his reflection.

Stormfront used to be human, had a normal childhood, and got superpowers around the same time she got indoctrinated with Nazi ideology. She's insightful enough to market fascism to the public by wrapping it in liberal feminism (which is totally in line with Vought's goals and a strategy munitions companies are using right now). She knows how to "act normal," which is utterly beyond Homelander, who has no concept of normal life beyond a set of props for photo ops.

In addition to Homelander's not quite coherent ideology outside of his need for worship, Stormfront's got an actual political project, which is why I said she was the more dangerous of the two. Like somewhere down that line she's got extermination in mind. Homelander you might be able to just distract with cable news and poo poo for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I would watch BLACK NOIR: INSURRECTION immediately

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

In addition to Homelander's not quite coherent ideology outside of his need for worship, Stormfront's got an actual political project, which is why I said she was the more dangerous of the two. Like somewhere down that line she's got extermination in mind. Homelander you might be able to just distract with cable news and poo poo for the rest of his life.

I'm not quite convinced this is the case. Homelander was seemingly the mastermind behind the plot to smuggle out compound V to make super-terrorist, for the sole reason of justifying supes in the military. It was an idea he got from Vought's corporate direction, but he went further without their knowledge to make it happen. After that got bungled up he glomped onto Stormfront's vision, and since then there hasn't really been time for anything else. It definitely gives the impression of a man who's not satisfied with just doing nothing, even if he's more likely to appropriate someone else's idea than come up with one on his own.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Is there a Vought Vault, and if so, are they still showing the Soldier Boy classic films or were they removed due to his Russian terrorist ties?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Astroman posted:

Is there a Vought Vault, and if so, are they still showing the Soldier Boy classic films or were they removed due to his Russian terrorist ties?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1557758815495458817

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Oh the alliteration, I love whoever runs that social media account :3:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lmao: "Vought's bravest lesbian"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

:lmao: "Vought's bravest lesbian"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Astroman posted:

:smug:

Kripke--reading my posts? or my mind?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just realized he's acting like his power set is pretty low level like cap instead of Superman. I can't believe I missed that during the actual show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just realized he's acting like his power set is pretty low level like cap instead of Superman. I can't believe I missed that during the actual show.

But that seems to be public knowledge?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i mean other than the laser thing

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dude trades hits with Homelander. He doesn't give a gently caress about some Russian dude punching him in the face or gut, and if those handcuffs held him, they could hold Homelander.

He's acting like they hurt, and he's acting like he needs the twins help to get free. My guess is it's easier to sell morale for a "this man is peak human!" style guy like Cap in a war over a demigod who lasers people from the sky. People can identify with cap, not so much Superman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My guess is it's easier to sell morale for a "this man is peak human!" style guy like Cap in a war over a demigod who lasers people from the sky. People can identify with cap, not so much Superman.

Cap is what Americans ought to be, Superman is what fascists want to be. Americans think they're Cap but they want to be Superman.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

Cap is what Americans ought to be, Superman is what fascists want to be. Americans think they're Cap but they want to be Superman.

Lol what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The intent of Steve Rogers as a character is that he's the best a man can be, and not just physically. He leads without domineering, he recognises that loyalty is a two way street, and he values honesty because he is himself honest. Sometimes he has to do poo poo things, but he has a conscience and he's been known to refuse bad orders. And as a rule he waits until someone fucks around before he makes them find out.

Superman, on the other hand, is much more than a man. He may be good because he was raised to be good, but nobody can force him to do what is right. If he decided to rule the world, who could stop him? And that's what fascists aspire to: not being told what to do by anyone who isn't a superior individual, combined with a belief that no one is superior to them and hence whatever they choose to do is right.

That's what I mean by "they ought to be Cap and think they actually are Cap, but they want to be Superman". It's why the American right took so long to realise that Homelander isn't meant to be a hero, and were angry when they finally did realise.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

read Altemyer

https://theauthoritarians.org/options-for-getting-the-book/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Altemeyer's book is insightful, but it irks me that he uses this extremely loose definition of left vs. right that corresponds to American partisan politics, despite being Canadian.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

He knows his audience and wants to be easily understood.

Like I agree but good luck explaining to a bunch of educated liberals that they’re actually part of the right when you remove the artificial ideological barriers they’ve lived their entire lives with.

Baby steps.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Soldier Boy is just a better version of what they were trying to do with Ultimate Captain America

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I firmly do not believe anyone thought Homelander was a good guy after the pilot episode. The "meltdowns" on Reddit/social media aren't plausible and probably fake or mental illness.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I firmly do not believe anyone thought Homelander was a good guy after the pilot episode. The "meltdowns" on Reddit/social media aren't plausible and probably fake or mental illness.

The far right, known for their mental health and solid reliance on true facts.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
People have been treating villainous characters having any level of pathos as a sign that they are actually just complex characters that deserve sympathy since time immemorial.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mu Zeta posted:

There was a point I might've agreed with this, but I really can't give right-wingers that much credit anymore. I've read too many absurd and idiotic takes on TV or movies to believe they secretly do understand and are merely pretending not to.

The Boys is just one flagrant example, but I've seen plenty of posts on Reddit or elsewhere in which people say, like, "Disney's going to make X-Men woke now," or "Matrix 4 turned the franchise into SJW garbage!" I don't think they're kidding, I think they're actually that stupid and that illiterate when it comes to media. Are incapable of interpreting a story's thesis in a meaningful way and just react blindly to signifiers without contemplating how they're used in context.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to think this way about Vic Mackey from the Shield until I told my cop friend about that show and Vic became his favorite tv character of all time.

It made me seriously reconsider what media I endorse to who.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

How can you have been on this website for 20 years and still think this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elephant Ambush posted:

How can you have been on this website for 20 years and still think this?

I only read like 4 threads on the entire forum

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Imagine reading this thread and the posters in it who clearly either aren’t paying attention while watching the show or are barely literate and being surprised that there’s also chuds out there to whom the same applies

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I enjoyed season 3 scene to scene but looking back the overall story feels like a bit of a mess. A couple of points I'm unclear on:
- What's stopping Homelander just rocking up and vaporizing Hughie (and indeed anyone else) like he previously threatened to? I guess the idea is that Hughie's underground now, but if that was enough to solve the issue I don't see why Starlight had to go along with him before.
- Did we establish at some point that Homelander is immune to novichok? They seemed to treat it as something that could only work against Soldier Boy, but wasn't the entire assumption of the Russian mission that SB's weakness could also be Homelander's weakness? Very weird that Maeve would throw it away (randomly into a populated area) rather than attempt to use it if not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I enjoyed season 3 scene to scene but looking back the overall story feels like a bit of a mess. A couple of points I'm unclear on:
- What's stopping Homelander just rocking up and vaporizing Hughie (and indeed anyone else) like he previously threatened to? I guess the idea is that Hughie's underground now, but if that was enough to solve the issue I don't see why Starlight had to go along with him before.
- Did we establish at some point that Homelander is immune to novichok? They seemed to treat it as something that could only work against Soldier Boy, but wasn't the entire assumption of the Russian mission that SB's weakness could also be Homelander's weakness? Very weird that Maeve would throw it away (randomly into a populated area) rather than attempt to use it if not.

-Nothing.
-Not mentioned if he's immune.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i think homelander has said he has gone to space but i dont think weve seen it. he may not need to breath

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Just what you came to Twitter dot com for today... BTS of a giant fake penis and the world's largest bag of blow.
https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1558483455574286336

:dong:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

edit: ah hell, can't post it without the original tweet embedding. It's a video of the filming of the scene where the actor's in the bag of coke.

https://twitter.com/livelyackles/status/1558483743085678592?t=dr8650DprUObL7w4ZYpS_w&s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I enjoyed Season 3, but I was baffled by some of the same things other people are talking about. My impression was that Homelander is nearly invincible like he was in the comic, so I was surprised when a couple guys on Temp V were able to go toe-to-toe with him for even a minute. And the whole thing with MM trying to fight Soldier Boy even when he had nothing for him was odd.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xealot posted:

The Boys is just one flagrant example, but I've seen plenty of posts on Reddit or elsewhere in which people say, like, "Disney's going to make X-Men woke now," or "Matrix 4 turned the franchise into SJW garbage!" I don't think they're kidding, I think they're actually that stupid and that illiterate when it comes to media. Are incapable of interpreting a story's thesis in a meaningful way and just react blindly to signifiers without contemplating how they're used in context.

wHeN dId StAr TrEk gO wOkE?!? - William Shatner

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Boys criticizes wokeness as corporate co-opting and commodification of civil rights which I think broke a lot of chud brains because they can't view anything outside of the typical American binary view of politics. They see the Brave Maeve's Vegan Tacos and go "lol this show must be on my side" and are completely shocked when it is actually a far left perspective that is hostile to their view as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Homelander doesn't kill certain people because if they're dead then he can't torture and abuse and control them

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Or, in the case of Stan Edgar, he can only prove them right in so doing, that he's an impulsive baby-man who succumbed to a tantrum.

That's part of why their scenes together are so electric (and not for nothing arguably the two most incredible performers on the show trading lines), knowing Homelander could literally kill him with a look, but so desires to be a real big boy grown up leader and win the game on its own terms that he orchestrates a successful if ill-advised corporate coup through skullduggery.

But as the scenes play out you can't be 100% sure he won't just fly off the handle and pop Stan's skull when his ego gets wounded when Starr does that glorious Face Acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think the Stan Edgar thing looks a lot like some sort of intentional conditioning that the Vought corporation did to keep certain supes loyal. It sets up a perfect new line for Homelander to cross, true patricide.

Or maybe Stan Edgar is also a supe.