Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've tried making homemade pizza a bunch of times. The best I can say is that turns out... fine. The crust never seems to have a lot of flavor and it's neither crispy or soft, just somewhere inbetween. I have a baking stone and bake on the highest temp my oven will go but it's never any better. I've heard of baking steel, does that really make a huge difference in crust quality?

For toppings, the cheese doesn't have the same tang as a restaurant pizza and I've used shredded whole milk mozzarella. I've heard whole block mozzarella that you shred fresh is better for this but grocery stores don't carry it around me.

What's the secret, pizza goons?

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Being really drunk or stoned so you don't care what it turns out like

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

I've tried making homemade pizza a bunch of times. The best I can say is that turns out... fine. The crust never seems to have a lot of flavor and it's neither crispy or soft, just somewhere inbetween. I have a baking stone and bake on the highest temp my oven will go but it's never any better. I've heard of baking steel, does that really make a huge difference in crust quality?

For toppings, the cheese doesn't have the same tang as a restaurant pizza and I've used shredded whole milk mozzarella. I've heard whole block mozzarella that you agreed fresh is better for this but grocery stores don't carry it around me.

I don't know the secret but my aunt and uncle have it down. They make deep dish, new york, and thin crust style. All are amazing

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
use naan instead of pizza dough

whatever toppings you use, add sun dried tomatoes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Most household ovens can't really reach proper temperatures, you want way over 500 degrees.
Baking stones help a lot and you can use them on a grill which owns. I use my own pizza dough that's basically white flour, yeast and olive oil and you can get a decent crust with that but ymmv

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your crust either needs to be a literal cracker quick biscuit or a high hydration ratio dough fermented at least overnight. Everything else is "just" a flatbread like OP mentions which is fine but maybe not what you're looking for as a pizza.

Oil will make most doughs very pizza like if you don't want to get into baking science and is the trick store bought doughballs (and many pizza places) are usually using to mass produce pizza dough.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Your crust either needs to be a literal cracker quick biscuit or a high hydration ratio dough fermented at least overnight. Everything else is "just" a flatbread like OP mentions which is fine but maybe not what you're looking for as a pizza.

Oil will make most doughs very pizza like if you don't want to get into baking science and is the trick store bought doughballs (and many pizza places) are usually using to mass produce pizza dough.

what part of America are you from?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Throwing some whole milk mozzarella on a pepperoni Jacks is better than any homemade pizza I’ve ever had.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Love.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The secret to any good pizza is to make sure the crust is neither too dry nor too greasy, and this is the hardest thing to get just right.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The difference between home food and restaurant food is that restaurant food always has a poo poo load more sugar and fat in it. Like a huge amount that you'd never dare put in yourself.

I make a pretty good piz crust with beer and sugar in it, puffs up nicely.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Replace the dough with zucchini slices.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

he means cum, OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

no loving way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've found that pan pizzas are really easy to do at home without too much specialized equipment. You can use either a rimmed baking sheet or a cast iron pan, or even just a cake pan. I use this recipe for the crust and it never fails me (though you might have to do some math to get the right quantities for the size of pan you're using): https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

You get a nice crispy bottom crust that sorta fries in the olive oil, with a pillowy middle and a lot of flavor. You can top it pretty generously, too, since you have a fairly thick crust with this style. It's also a nice way to practice working with bread dough if you want to get into baking bread.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

gently caress you

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just use a flour tortilla for your pizza crust OP. Take some effort out of it instead of trying to make it taste like Papa John's

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
its digiorno

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Yeast needs time to make the dough flavorful. The fastest pizza dough I gently caress with is the overnight one from Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast: https://www.wpr.org/recipe-overnight-straight-pizza-dough
...which ferments overnight on the counter, gets shaped into balls in the morning, then proofs in the fridge and is ready that night but better after another day or two in the fridge. It can also be frozen

Next, you need a really hot oven. A real pizza oven might reach 1000F, but a consumer oven is lucky to hit 550. I preheat mine to 550, with the pizza stone near the top of the oven, giving it lots of etra time to preheat. Then when I start making the pizza I switch it to broil. When I put the pizza in I flip it back to 550. When it's almost done I flip it to broil for the last 30-60 sec. This gets me really close to perfect in 3-4 min or so per pizza, judged based on the cheese being melted and the toppings and crust just starting to char here and there

Good luck op

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

you need to live in a place with high quality water to use to make the dough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Yeast needs time to make the dough flavorful. The fastest pizza dough I gently caress with is the overnight one from Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast: https://www.wpr.org/recipe-overnight-straight-pizza-dough
...which ferments overnight on the counter, gets shaped into balls in the morning, then proofs in the fridge and is ready that night but better after another night or two in the fridge.

Yeah this is the same principle as the recipe I posted. An overnight rise on pizza dough (or bread dough for that matter), sometimes even longer, can get you a lot of great flavor even if you're just using commercial yeast.

It also means you don't really have to knead it or use a mixer or anything. You can just mix the ingredients together and wait. Maybe do some stretches and folds during the bulk ferment depending on the recipe.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm sure even someone with your culinary skills can handle making pizzas from a kit, get one of these op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

yep

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I go with no yeast and I tinker with the tomato sauce, thats the unsung hero. Yes it’s possible to use too much Italian seasoning but that’s the sun you must fly close to.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
how do you stop the pizza stone from exploding in the oven

i make sure it isn't wet and i preheat with the stone in the oven but it still blows up

i want to make a big outdoor stone pizza oven but i'm worried it will blow up and that's how i'll die

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I had some loving homemade awesome pizza with thin crust, no tomato sauce, and mushrooms/basil

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Through The Decade posted:

I go with no yeast

:chloe:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
My supermarket makes big 12" flour tortillas fresh all day and I've made some pretty good thin and crispy pizzas using those as a crust because I always suck at making my own dough. Slap one of those with a tiny bit of olive oil into a hot cast iron pan, 3-4 minutes on the stove and then into the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes more makes a tasty snack.

e: I see in your OP about your cheese not being so great. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking stuff in/on it to keep it from sort of semi-melting back into one solid mass in the bag and unshredding itself. Unfortunately, that stuff can often inhibit browning so your cheese misses out on those additonal toasty flavors. If you have whole milk mozzarella string cheese available, you might want to give that a try.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 13, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Your oven at home just is not going to get hot enough to make a good pizza. You can make a sheet pan pizza that will be OK but don't expect a proper pizza. I like French bread pizzas if I'm doing an at home thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

don't use all mozzarella, it's bland by itself

use a blend of 25% cheddar, 25% colby and 50% mozzarella

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Peggy Edson posted:

For toppings, the cheese doesn't have the same tang as a restaurant pizza and I've used shredded whole milk mozzarella. I've heard whole block mozzarella that you shred fresh is better for this but grocery stores don't carry it around me.

It sounds like you’ve got the basics down. You might just need some simple modifiers to get your pizzas to the next level.

Mozzarella doesn’t have “tang” or any flavor for the most part. Mozzarella adds texture and creaminess but no flavor. Generously sprinkle some grated pecorino Romano on your pizza before you put it in the oven. If you’re still not happy, lose the mozzarella altogether and use ricotta instead. Some of the best pizzas I’ve had only used ricotta.

If you’re still not happy, get rid of the ricotta and just use pecorino Romano with some minced garlic, thin sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil. Drizzle on a little olive oil when you’re done. Simple old school pizza.

If you think your crust lacks flavor, brush the edges with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, more grated pecorino Romano if you like. If you’re using ricotta as your cheese, it’s a good idea to stir in the garlic, salt, pecorino Romano to it as well.

No matter what pizza sauce I use, after I spoon it onto the dough I always add a few shakes of crushed red pepper and dry basil.

I usually skip pepperoni and go to a more interesting deli meat like soppressata or capocollo. Might be hard to find in some areas.

Hope this helps. Here’s some of my pizzas:

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 13, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well look at this fucker that actually bothers making proper circles.

The biggest impact on the dough is what flour you use. Bread flour can work, but 00 flour gives it a real nice flavor in my experience. Use all purpose flour if you want lovely dough that dumps its contents in the oven. And as mentioned earlier, the dough is a bread and good bread needs a recipe with a ferment time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

My friends bought one of those ooni pizza ovens and that thing makes some legit pizza, but $600.

Best I've ever found for normal kitchens is this.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

I've had good luck making it with 1tsp salt, 1tsp yeast, folding it whenever i think about it, and skipping all the waiting and refrigeration. It still takes a while to rise, couple hours is ideal, but fast enough that if I start it after work it can be dinner that night.

Going easy on the toppings is a must. It'll handle tomatoes or onions or bell peppers but put all 3 and it's hosed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh, and baking steel doesn't do a whole lot different than a stone in my experience. The big benefit it gives is just that it can't crack like a stone can.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

haljordan posted:

dont listen to these lies

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The secret is to use diced tomatoes out of the can for the sauce and cut up string cheese for the cheese and canned mushrooms for the mushrooms.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This recipe has never let me down.
https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe
Just get some San Marzano style tomatoes in a can. You can get diced or crushed, but I get whole and smoosh em up with my hands and then add salt. That's the sauce.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A white garlic sauce instead of tomato-based.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Blue cheese, anchovies, hot peppers are best toppings and will fix most flaws your pizza may accrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

1. Make a good pizza dough yourself. Don't use store-bought dough.
2. Make a good sauce. I do a dressed-up version of Kenji's New York-style sauce from Serious Eats and I like it a lot.
3. Use good cheese. Sharp provolone is a pro-tier add and so is parmesan. For a good four-cheese pizza, use those two cheeses plus (whole) mozzarella and a little bit of sharp cheddar. Pecorino romano is also good.
4. Bake it on a steel if you're using an electric oven, or on a stone if you're using a grill. Grilled pizza is glorious.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2022