Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.

tbh I feel like that's essential for his image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CordlessPen posted:

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.

Anthony is the Steve Wozniak of LMG.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Unless he pays them a half mil a year they're all going to be living in shoe boxes in Vancouver.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CordlessPen posted:

I got a bit sad watching that one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anthony really is extremely good and no matter what happens with Linus, I hope Anthony finds success

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anthony will be fine. He’d team up with, like, Cathode Ray Dude and NCommander or something to make videos about using a debugger to make USB mixing desks work with Itanium, or something.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
In a similar vein Jake is pretty good at networking and cleaning up Linus' mess but I'm not confident that he doesn't own a Reddit account with some severely problematic posts.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1558234832613920771

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

He loves this!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
aaaaaaahahaha he's using it as marketing, steve loving owns

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The literal best response to this.

Gets to call Linus out on his poo poo rear end scummy business practices without directly naming names.

God GN is the best.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

EngineerJoe posted:

Unless he pays them a half mil a year they're all going to be living in shoe boxes in Vancouver.

this.

people don't realize how overpriced vancouver is. a 1br can be at least $3000 in vancouver and you probably won't even have air conditioning. although linus probably doesn't pay that well tbh.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Linus could really benefit from a PR rep I think. He also probably shouldn't tweet.

Edit: He's leaning into the skid:

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 13, 2022

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
he's "addressing" what he said on wan show rn.

basically going through of a list of "what i said" vs "what i meant"

lol maybe hire people do to do your talking for you if you can't get your message across properly.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Linus has hired like 20 people to talk for him.

He still never shuts the gently caress up. He's never going to.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Romes128 posted:

lol maybe hire people do to do your talking for you if you can't get your message across properly.

But I’m a smart guy, why would I need someone else to do this stuff for me?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I really just want to buy Steve a beer. He's such a sound guy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve 2024

Feel the Burke

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Romes128 posted:

he's "addressing" what he said on wan show rn.

basically going through of a list of "what i said" vs "what i meant"

More like wah show

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
don't just watch the warranty part of that video, steve losing it over the X670E motherboard names was great

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Poor Linus, thought of liabilities and died.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1558321431032737792

So she hosed up and didn't reply to emails when she thought she did and then went to accuse Linus of ghosting him. It turned into a huge clusterfuck.

I think Linus's response to Naomi on today's WAN show was reasonable and he acknowledges that Naomi was completely within her right to not agree to a meeting for a lot of reasons and how he responded later in the worst ways to her.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol at linus saying he won't watch steve's video but responding to it anyway without knowing what he says, and then going on a spiel about how much it hurts him that people don't just trust him to do the right thing without a warranty.

He still doesn't actually understand why having a formal warranty is important thing even if you already have established trust with your customers, which is really frustrating since that's what steve was trying to get across. but linus just refuses to learn anything

Linus is the businessman who gets really offended whenever a partner tries to put protective terms in their contract (or wants a contract at all), isn't he? "don't you trust me to do the right thing?"

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 13, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
He keeps talking about trust and how people should trust HIM when it's a multi million dollar company. The only reason this poo poo will never go away if he doesn't shut the gently caress up and let his company act like a conscientious company. Just absolutely babybrained

The Grumbles posted:

More like wah show

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He still doesn't actually understand why having a formal warranty is important thing even if you already have established trust with your customers, which is really frustrating since that's what steve was trying to get across. but linus just refuses to learn anything

He doesn't refuse to learn and he very much understands why having a formal warranty is important: It's why he doesn't want to provide a formal warranty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just scrolled a bit through the current topical thread over in the LTT subreddit. Apparently I missed that the Summer Olympic Games are happening this year. At least that'd explain the mental gymnastics of these stans trying to justify Linus' bullshit.

And IMO that T-shirt is bad form, considering he seems to concede on that warranty issue only due to pressure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"People stopped trusting me for no reason", "I'm still the good guy and I don't deserve to be treated this way," etc. is how most of these kinds of guys always justify their transformations to themselves and everyone around them either agrees to their face or makes a point not to disagree to their face. from time to time some people concede something negative about Linus and then kind of follow it up with an optimistic statement about who he is deep down and so on but there's not much room left for that from even the most kind-hearted techperson

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 13, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my favourite example of that was after the laptop investment (which u can see me complaining about at the time) hardware unboxed did a q and a where they get asked if they'd ever do something similar and do the like, two minutes of youtube gladhanding "oh i'm sure linus knows what he's doing he's such an industry legend haha" "yeah big fans over here big fans someone with that much influence i'm sure he's making the right decision" etc. and then they get to answering the question and basically go oh absolutely not it would be a colossal conflict of interest and completely ruin any objectivity we have in reviews, lol.

just oh yeah the thing he's doing is atrocious and we would never do it in a million years, but everyone knows he's a cool guy so it must be fine!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
gn also considered making their own cases, but it would mean they'd have to give up case reviews due to the conflict of interest

it's really cool how cases keep improving, in no small part because of gn not being afraid to call manufacturers out

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 13, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I watched the GN warranty segment and Steve put on extremely padded kid-gloves (which I think was the right call). I’d say I feel bad for Linus for his inability to self-sabotage, but this behavior is sheltered rich white guy energy so lol, lmao.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

kliras posted:

perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/OTKnetwork/status/1556739967115739141

moist is known from youtube, and otk is a bunch of twitch folks - and asmongold who's that nerd who's always throwing an alt-right tantrum tantrum in that recommended youtube video you can't get rid of

to make mattersr more fun, otk was recently sponsored by ... artesian builds

it's gonna be interesting if or when tech youtubers decide to review it; these are not people who are generally great at handling criticism

I just remembered that Starforge used to be an early access game on Steam that showed some awesome WIP screenshots for the time, promised the moon and got a 130k€ Indiegogo fund completed to much hype. Then it launched on Steam early access and faded away into a cloud of disappointment. By now it's even been replaced by some other early access title named Starforge lmao

It probably popped a lot of crowdfunding disappointment cherries.

holy poo poo this was 10 years ago

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
oh yeah, those people are shipping out now, so there's that to look forward to

https://twitter.com/StarforgePCs/status/1558152796100337664
https://twitter.com/StarforgePCs/status/1558130149434052609

i'm sure they have amazing warranties

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I can't remember the rest of the unit but a 11400 and 6600XT is a very value conscious price/perf combination right now, it might be worth a grand.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1558321431032737792

So she hosed up and didn't reply to emails when she thought she did and then went to accuse Linus of ghosting him. It turned into a huge clusterfuck.

I think Linus's response to Naomi on today's WAN show was reasonable and he acknowledges that Naomi was completely within her right to not agree to a meeting for a lot of reasons and how he responded later in the worst ways to her.

That tweet is not public.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

That tweet is not public.

I saw it when it was - a bunch of responses she thought she'd sent and that Linus had ghosted her on responding to in turn had instead been in her drafts folder the whole time. She was apologizing for that accusation while making clear it didn't explain the invitation to his hotel room at night.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Did he actually invite her to the room specifically, or to the hotel in general? It makes a big difference.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

well why not posted:

Did he actually invite her to the room specifically, or to the hotel in general? It makes a big difference.
Does it matter? Especially when it's the rear end end of midnight?

:ughh:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

FilthyImp posted:

Does it matter? Especially when it's the rear end end of midnight?

:ughh:

A meeting in the hotel lobby is a lot different than one in his private room.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martian Manfucker posted:

A meeting in the hotel lobby is a lot different than one in his private room.
For a woman I would imagine they're equally :redflag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it wasn't some form of written communication nobody will ever be able to prove anything, unfortunately.