Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Put in an order for a 25%-off Alienware QD-OLED AW3423DW, but it's a 3 month wait for delivery in my country. I'd been shopping the Gigabyte M32U but stock here has evaporated and prices are up to 75% of the Alienware. Are there any upcoming (Q4/Q1) screen releases that will have me kicking myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Extremely Penetrated posted:

Put in an order for a 25%-off Alienware QD-OLED AW3423DW, but it's a 3 month wait for delivery in my country. I'd been shopping the Gigabyte M32U but stock here has evaporated and prices are up to 75% of the Alienware. Are there any upcoming (Q4/Q1) screen releases that will have me kicking myself?

There are some mini LED LCDs on the horizon, but nothing that would really make you regret your decision. The only thing I can think of is maybe they'll announce some new QD-OLED displays at CES next year (which probably wouldn't hit the market until Q2), or maybe that rumored 1440p 240hz W-OLED from LG will show up there. But there's nothing else that we know of. And any new QD-OLED displays would probably be of a different resolution/aspect ratio, so in terms of 1440p ultrawide, the AW3423DW will remain king for a while yet.

This mention of a discount made me check Dell's site, and there doesn't seem to be a discount in the US, but the expected delivery time is now down to just two weeks which is pretty nice: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3423dw/apd/210-bcye/monitors-monitor-accessories

They must be getting a lot more panels from Samsung now. I heard that they've improved their yields by a lot (up from something abysmal like 35% to over 80%).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 12, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And any new QD-OLED displays would probably be of a different resolution/aspect ratio, so in terms of 1440p ultrawide, the AW3423DW will remain king for a while yet.

I just want them to release the same Alienware but with normal RGB subpixel layout because the idea of random color haloing around windows/boxes would drive me insane for the 8hrs of office work I'd be doing on it most days.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Probably not gonna happen. I think we can assume that the triangle RGB subpixel layout is inherent to their manufacturing process and will be there for all of Samsung's QD-OLED displays.

edit: https://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=4158

quote:

LG Display is planning to unveil a 20-inch OLED panel by the end of the year for application in personal devices.

LG Display vice president Kang Won-seok said during a forum hosted by the Korea Display Industry Association said demand for personal displays has risen during the pandemic and the new panel size is aimed at meeting this demand.

Kang also explained that for OLED panels aimed at gaming, it was seeking immersive reality in development whereas it wants to offer natural reality for its OLED panels aimed at conventional TV viewing.

For gaming OLED panels, which saw demand also increase during the pandemic, fast response time was the top priority while the company is also working to make sure the realistic resolution stays the same even when the surrounding environment is too bright.

LG Display was also working to secure a bendable OLED technology and was in talks with a customer for their development.

The technology will allow consumers to control the curvature of the screen depending on the game they are playing, the VP said.

Most consumers prefer a curvature between 800R to 1000R(equivalent to a circle with a radius of 1000mm).

LG Display’s Kang also said its white OLED technology was the only technology that can offer a bendable screen as it uses only one substrate.

Though he didn’t mention it directly, this is a jab at Samsung Display’s quantum dot OLED screen that uses two glass substrates.

Kang also said LG Display is planning to unveil a 77-inch transparent OLED screen next year.

Currently, the largest transparent OLED screen is 55-inch.

Please excuse the Korean to English translation, The Elec is just like that. The google translation of the korean article makes more sense than the official english article, which is never a good sign.

I don't know what the 20-inch panel would be used for. A portable monitor?

A monitor that allows you to adjust the curvature on the fly is a really interesting idea, though. The original korean article attributes the quote about preferred curvature to the LG VP who was giving the presentation, and he most likely just said that because the maximum possible curvature of that adjustable-curve monitor is 800R.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 12, 2022

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

DrDork posted:

I just want them to release the same Alienware but with normal RGB subpixel layout because the idea of random color haloing around windows/boxes would drive me insane for the 8hrs of office work I'd be doing on it most days.

I do 8hrs of office work most days and personal coding after and don't notice the halo anymore. Even with the monitor next to another traditional IPS and my MacBook display. I turned on font anti-aliasing/clear type and it improves things. I noticed the fringing when I first got the monitor especially when connected to the Mac.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I don't know what the 20-inch panel would be used for. A portable monitor?
20-21 is the perfect 1080p size.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The fringing will probably become a non-issue when they go up to higher DPIs, like how Pentile used to be ugly as poo poo on 480x800 phones but nowadays you'd need a microscope to notice it

In the meantime it would be nice if MS natively supported the subpixel layout in Cleartype though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

a dingus posted:

I noticed the fringing when I first got the monitor especially when connected to the Mac.

Ooof. This is even more saddening because 6+hrs of that 8 is gonna be on a Mac.

The monitor looks pretty amazing for games, but I only have one desk, so...

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrDork posted:

Ooof. This is even more saddening because 6+hrs of that 8 is gonna be on a Mac.

The monitor looks pretty amazing for games, but I only have one desk, so...

Mac still looks like rear end, just very slightly less rear end, on my 1440p 27" IPS too. It might just be the way mac scales things.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a dingus posted:

Mac still looks like rear end, just very slightly less rear end, on my 1440p 27" IPS too. It might just be the way mac scales things.

are you using a scaled resolution on the mac? at 27" and 1440p you probably don't need to. you can hold the option key in the display system settings to unlock the powerful secret menu of resolutions if you want to try native or something custom.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

a dingus posted:

I'm currently running a 3440x1440 34" off a Macbook Pro and it looks fine? Other than it only being able to do 50Hz, anyhow (presumably because it only supports HDMI 1.4b and not 2.0? Not quite sure--my PC runs it at 100Hz just fine).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

are you using a scaled resolution on the mac? at 27" and 1440p you probably don't need to. you can hold the option key in the display system settings to unlock the powerful secret menu of resolutions if you want to try native or something custom.

I had no idea this was a thing. It's my work laptop and I'm mostly a Linux and windows guy so Mac is a mystery. I'll check it out!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

DrDork posted:

I'm currently running a 3440x1440 34" off a Macbook Pro and it looks fine? Other than it only being able to do 50Hz, anyhow (presumably because it only supports HDMI 1.4b and not 2.0? Not quite sure--my PC runs it at 100Hz just fine).
My old AW3418DW could never run at above 3440x1440@50Hz over HDMI while over DisplayPort it was fine and moving windows around, scrolling, etc. was hurting my eyes so I went to a M34WQ recently and it definitely helps although I'd probably prefer to have 4k@100+ Hz which is not exactly low bandwidth.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a dingus posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. It's my work laptop and I'm mostly a Linux and windows guy so Mac is a mystery. I'll check it out!

one thing to be aware of, it works differently for the recent macbooks with the camera notch. they don't let you customize the resolution on those, something about the menu bar size becoming smaller than the notch.

but that will only apply to the built-in screen. you should still be able to use the option key to get the extra options for external displays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte M27Q-X, 1440p 240hz, for $330 new: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-M27...9&creative=9325

what. gigabyte, you mad lads

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gigabyte M27Q-X, 1440p 240hz, for $330 new: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-M27...9&creative=9325

what. gigabyte, you mad lads

“Ships from and sold by Autocare Depot” does not instill confidence, especially when the Amazon-sold price is 430.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kalman posted:

“Ships from and sold by Autocare Depot” does not instill confidence, especially when the Amazon-sold price is 430.

I didn't notice that, but this seller has over 600 ratings with an 88% positive rate. And weirdly enough, their address leads to the Newegg HQ? And customers have remarked that their products arrived in a newegg box in their reviews? It's quite strange, but perhaps they're affiliated with newegg somehow. Either way, it's worth a gamble, and Amazon almost always has the customer's back whenever anything shady happens with third-party sellers.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 13, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I want a new monitor and I've got no idea what I'm looking for other than, I guess, it should be in the 32" range, and wall/Vesa mountable.

I've currently got a 27" Iiyama something I bought about 5 years ago because it was cheap and a 24" Acer something I bought about 14 years ago because it was time to give up my CRT (whatever it is, its a solid monitor to have survived 2 house moves and 14 years of use). Both monitors are wall mounted because I prefer the look and don't like having monitor stands taking up space. I currently work from home 3 days a week, but I also game on the same monitors so I've no idea what's best resolution wise. I've no idea about refresh rates either, is 120Hz enough? Surely 240Hz isn't going to be that much more noticeable to the human eye, plus I'm not a twitch-FPS gamer and rarely play multiplayer games. And curved? Its meant for games, but if I try working off a curved monitor will it be wrong?

Also, just to make things awkward, I'm limited to 3 UK stores to choose from. My work gave me and my other half some vouchers and the only places that sell monitors that they can be redeemed at are Argos, Currys, and John Lewis. So whatever I end up getting should be from there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I want a new monitor and I've got no idea what I'm looking for other than, I guess, it should be in the 32" range, and wall/Vesa mountable.

I've currently got a 27" Iiyama something I bought about 5 years ago because it was cheap and a 24" Acer something I bought about 14 years ago because it was time to give up my CRT (whatever it is, its a solid monitor to have survived 2 house moves and 14 years of use). Both monitors are wall mounted because I prefer the look and don't like having monitor stands taking up space. I currently work from home 3 days a week, but I also game on the same monitors so I've no idea what's best resolution wise. I've no idea about refresh rates either, is 120Hz enough? Surely 240Hz isn't going to be that much more noticeable to the human eye, plus I'm not a twitch-FPS gamer and rarely play multiplayer games. And curved? Its meant for games, but if I try working off a curved monitor will it be wrong?

Also, just to make things awkward, I'm limited to 3 UK stores to choose from. My work gave me and my other half some vouchers and the only places that sell monitors that they can be redeemed at are Argos, Currys, and John Lewis. So whatever I end up getting should be from there.

My gut says to get 4K when buying 32" monitors, though that can get expensive, and if you have a weak GPU then it will struggle when gaming (so you'll have to turn down the resolution anyway). I don't know what you're going to do on it, but 4K is great for most types of computer-involved work. It's just a lot of screen real estate. From a gaming point of view, full 4K is incredibly difficult to drive, and everything but the latest hardware will struggle with it when trying to run flashy AAA games. But most new games have robust resolution scaling options, so you aren't totally screwed if you have a GPU that's more midrange. It's just that scaling lower resolutions up won't look quite as nice as just running those lower resolutions on a display made for them unless the game uses special upscalers like FSR 2.0 or DLSS.

As for curved vs not, that's purely a personal preference thing. A lot of people stand by flat panels exclusively, some like curves for ultrawide monitors, while others like curves for everything. A curve can impede your work if it involves image or video editing or some other visual aspect. If you're just writing code or whatever, I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

The 4K monitor that tends to come recommended here for being relatively cheap for the specs is the Gigabyte M32U. If you go with 1440p instead, you're probably looking at something like the M32Q. I would not buy a 1080p 32" monitor.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Something I still don’t understand is why more games don’t support different resolutions for 3D and non-3D content. My understanding is that this is ubiquitous on consoles, to keep the UI looking sharp, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a PC game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's extremely common. Not every game has it, but a LOT of modern games do. They don't list multiple resolutions, they just let you pick a lower render scale.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nrook posted:

Something I still don’t understand is why more games don’t support different resolutions for 3D and non-3D content. My understanding is that this is ubiquitous on consoles, to keep the UI looking sharp, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a PC game.

That's what the resolution scale option typically does in games that have it. I've been seeing it in a lot of modern games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup, some games just aren't explicit about it. For instance all or most games with official FSR 1.0 support (and almost certainly 2.0) do this.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I would not buy a 1080p 32" monitor.

I would not even buy 1440p at 32" unless you sit more than a couple feet back. I have aging eyes and sit at a full arm's length from my 27" 1440p monitors, and even those don't look super crisp at 100% scaling. I kinda wish I had gone with 24" at 1440p. At 32" it would look horrible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I personally wouldn't do it, but plenty of people use 1440p 32" monitors and seem happy with them, so meh. To each their own.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah i can see it if you have bad eyes or a very girthy desk, but i think for most work desk setups 1440p@32" is too big

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

My gut says to get 4K when buying 32" monitors, though that can get expensive, and if you have a weak GPU then it will struggle when gaming (so you'll have to turn down the resolution anyway). I don't know what you're going to do on it, but 4K is great for most types of computer-involved work. It's just a lot of screen real estate. From a gaming point of view, full 4K is incredibly difficult to drive, and everything but the latest hardware will struggle with it when trying to run flashy AAA games. But most new games have robust resolution scaling options, so you aren't totally screwed if you have a GPU that's more midrange. It's just that scaling lower resolutions up won't look quite as nice as just running those lower resolutions on a display made for them unless the game uses special upscalers like FSR 2.0 or DLSS.

As for curved vs not, that's purely a personal preference thing. A lot of people stand by flat panels exclusively, some like curves for ultrawide monitors, while others like curves for everything. A curve can impede your work if it involves image or video editing or some other visual aspect. If you're just writing code or whatever, I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

The 4K monitor that tends to come recommended here for being relatively cheap for the specs is the Gigabyte M32U. If you go with 1440p instead, you're probably looking at something like the M32Q. I would not buy a 1080p 32" monitor.

Thanks for the reply, should've said I've recently got a 3060ti. Only took me the best part of two years to get one for a sensible price -_-

I only do office work at home so I guess a curved wouldn't matter then, any coding I do is in my spare time and I tend to do it sat on the couch with my laptop watching TV.

Also my desk its fairly shallow so the monitor's only a couple of feet away at most, is getting 32" dumb? I'm only thinking large and possibly 4K as possible future proofing as I'll probably be keeping it for a long time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for the reply, should've said I've recently got a 3060ti. Only took me the best part of two years to get one for a sensible price -_-

I only do office work at home so I guess a curved wouldn't matter then, any coding I do is in my spare time and I tend to do it sat on the couch with my laptop watching TV.

Also my desk its fairly shallow so the monitor's only a couple of feet away at most, is getting 32" dumb? I'm only thinking large and possibly 4K as possible future proofing as I'll probably be keeping it for a long time.

If you're too close to a big monitor it usually means you will have to move your head to see different parts of the screen, which is bad ergonomics. I sit around an arm's length away from my 27" 1440p monitor and can see every part of the screen with only small movement of my eyes. If you end up having to move a lot to see your whole screen it tends to cause fatigue and such.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A 32" screen will appear quite large and would take up a lot of your vision at two feet away, but it's not uncomfortably close (speaking as someone who variably sits two and a half to two feet away from one). It makes for a nice and immersive gaming experience. When I move up to 18 inches, it's a bit too close for me. The benefit to having a wall-mounted setup though is that you could simply move your whole desk a few inches if you feel like you're too close (not sure how realistic this is for you)

27" 1440p would be the normal choice with a 3060 Ti though. That seems to be the sweet spot that most people are going for, and there have been plenty of good deals on those lately in the US at least, not sure about the UK. But getting a 32" would be nice for office work if you do a lot of multitasking, and the 3060 Ti can do 4K on older/lower-fidelity games just fine and it can do it on new high-fidelity games with pared-down settings and/or some resolution scaling. (it's basically a bit better than the GPUs in modern consoles, I think?)

Based on the options available at Curry's (the other sites seem even more limited), I'd go with something like the LG 27GP850 if you were to go with 27" 1440p.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 14, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah the sites being limited is a pain, but I'm getting £200 off, so its worth the hassle.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there a reason why HDR shows up as an option when I hook up my M1 macbook air via HDMI on my Thunderbolt dock but not when I use a USB-C hub?
Both do 3440x1440@100hz

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The third party dock isnt passing that information on I would guess.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

shrike82 posted:

is there a reason why HDR shows up as an option when I hook up my M1 macbook air via HDMI on my Thunderbolt dock but not when I use a USB-C hub?
Both do 3440x1440@100hz

USB hubs/docks are almost uniformly bottom of the barrel quality that will cut corners all over the place. I wouldn’t use them with anything where I needed to be sure it was getting the full bandwidth needed — and given that they generally plug into one USB port on your computer, you’re essentially spreading the bandwidth of one USB port across X number of ports on your hub.

And macs are especially finnicky with non-thunderbolt docks (at least the pre-M1 models I worked with at work a couple years ago were).

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I had an epiphany in bed this morning whilst I was watching YouTube on the TV. The TV that's 32". So I took it off the wall and precariously balanced it on my desk. Yeah, its a bit too big, I'll be fine with anoher 27" monitor.

I had another look at Currys looking at the monitors people here had mentioned, the Gigabyte M28U is out of stock sadly so that's out of the question currently. I'm currently leaning towards the MSI MAG281URF as it looks like its very similar in specifications to the M28U. Currys also have an AOC U28G2XU that's £20 dearer but doesn't seem any better other than being slightly brighter, and an Acer Nitro XV282KKVbmiipruzx (WTF is with Acer's model numbers?) that's £150 cheaper and doesn't seem much different to the MSI.

Should I save myself £150 and get the Acer or spend a bit more and get the MSI?

Edit: And as for USB-C hubs, I was reminded of this poor man's decent into madness with them. Basically they all use the same chips and they're all rubbish.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 14, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The model numbers alone are enough to turn me off of Acer. Make that poo poo a part number or something and use simple abbreviations like the rest of the world. C1. M32. Hell, even Dell’s AW3423DW makes more sense (Alienware, 34 inch, not sure on 23, DW something widescreen, probably).

I loathe stupid, opaque naming conventions, especially when they’re all you have to rely on to look at a model of monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
23 is the model year, D is 1440p, W is 21:9. Dell has some of the best monitor naming conventions. LG is very similar and pretty good as well, although they use letters for years and sometimes omit things which can complicate things a bit.

Acer has to be deliberately bad, and they and the stores make it worse by having suffixes that are often omitted. So there might be an Acer VG273, VG273A, VG273 A, VG273AB, VG273 AB, VG273A B in various store listings, and you're trying to figure out which is the VG273 Abmpiirx that you want, or some bullshit like that. Because Acer may well have decided to release a VG273A that has absolutely nothing to do with the VG273 Abmpiirx.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

K8.0 posted:

23 is the model year, D is 1440p, W is 21:9. Dell has some of the best monitor naming conventions. LG is very similar and pretty good as well, although they use letters for years and sometimes omit things which can complicate things a bit.

Acer has to be deliberately bad, and they and the stores make it worse by having suffixes that are often omitted. So there might be an Acer VG273, VG273A, VG273 A, VG273AB, VG273 AB, VG273A B in various store listings, and you're trying to figure out which is the VG273 Abmpiirx that you want, or some bullshit like that. Because Acer may well have decided to release a VG273A that has absolutely nothing to do with the VG273 Abmpiirx.

I thought about the 23 being the year too but it’s 2022, the same poo poo as cars, goddammit

And firmly agreed, gently caress Acer.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Edit: And as for USB-C hubs, I was reminded of this poor man's decent into madness with them. Basically they all use the same chips and they're all rubbish.

Interesting. And not just the same chips, they're designed by the same ODM.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had an epiphany in bed this morning whilst I was watching YouTube on the TV. The TV that's 32". So I took it off the wall and precariously balanced it on my desk. Yeah, its a bit too big, I'll be fine with anoher 27" monitor.

I had another look at Currys looking at the monitors people here had mentioned, the Gigabyte M28U is out of stock sadly so that's out of the question currently. I'm currently leaning towards the MSI MAG281URF as it looks like its very similar in specifications to the M28U. Currys also have an AOC U28G2XU that's £20 dearer but doesn't seem any better other than being slightly brighter, and an Acer Nitro XV282KKVbmiipruzx (WTF is with Acer's model numbers?) that's £150 cheaper and doesn't seem much different to the MSI.

Should I save myself £150 and get the Acer or spend a bit more and get the MSI?

The Acer and MSI monitors here both use the same panel, actually, so their performance should be mostly identical. So between these, I would just get the Acer monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rtings has a great rep but they constantly will cite HDR being a worthwhile difference between one monitor and one that doesn't have it. But its been said here its basically a scam as far as monitors go. What gives?