Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I lost eve online and logged into some ancient characters with piddling skill points and am now having an absolute blast flying around wormholes in a covops playing map. I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone new start playing this terrible game, but if you ever had the itch now is a fine time to roleplay terrible geese in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't advocate self harm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Would the steam deck owners in this thread mind giving opinions on it after owning it for a few months?

I've been trying to decide between picking one up or building a new gaming desktop.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

Would the steam deck owners in this thread mind giving opinions on it after owning it for a few months?

I've been trying to decide between picking one up or building a new gaming desktop.

those are entirely different things. get the gaming desktop if you want to game. get the steam deck if you want an oversized novel handheld gaming device.

i can't speak for the steam deck itself, but i've gone through many handheld gaming pcs in the space (owned onegx1 pro, all the gpd win variants, had an aya neo on loan for a month). they all run hot and are bulky as gently caress so you don't want to break them out on the train, etc. the steam deck doesn't look to have solved any of that.

my best experience in that realm was with a onegx1 pro, as i could use thunderbolt to attach an egpu for a decent desktop gaming experience. pretty much any of the intel based devices have tb, but almost none of the amd ones like steam deck.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tried Gnosia given the immense amount of hype it got in Games. It's ok I guess? Single player social deduction is admittedly a challenging sounding genre to make work, and it does work as a game, but the characters are pretty one note and the dialogue is weirdly direct and mostly uninspired given that's all there is. That might just be an anime thing though.

They're definitely doing the "actually a 9000 demon honest" thing with one of the female characters too.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/good_faces_bot/status/1558106056789676032

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

The Fool posted:

don't advocate self harm

yeah mostly this; I am a cautionary tale.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eve, like any other mmo, can be played how you want i think. it's fine to casual around. competitive mmo'ing in any game is a timesuck nightmare

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that’s my approach to elite dangerous. I get in my space semi and haul cargo between distant solar systems in VR and listen to music and gawk at the stars and don’t give a gently caress what the “meta” is.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol there is a new 'video arcade' in town, they have a TOP SKATER machine in their setup; I used to be able to clear a A+ / S+ run every time I played it way back in 1997.

D rating, drat, I need to get some practice in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Fool posted:

i've played pc games more in the month or so since i got mine than i probably did in the previous year. being able to lay on my couch and play games means i'm actually going to do it, unlike if i have to sit at my desk

that said, yeah, it's bulky, runs hot, and battery life is pretty bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

those are entirely different things. get the gaming desktop if you want to game. get the steam deck if you want an oversized novel handheld gaming device.

i can't speak for the steam deck itself, but i've gone through many handheld gaming pcs in the space (owned onegx1 pro, all the gpd win variants, had an aya neo on loan for a month). they all run hot and are bulky as gently caress so you don't want to break them out on the train, etc. the steam deck doesn't look to have solved any of that.

my best experience in that realm was with a onegx1 pro, as i could use thunderbolt to attach an egpu for a decent desktop gaming experience. pretty much any of the intel based devices have tb, but almost none of the amd ones like steam deck.

Part of why I'm considering the steam deck is that I haven't had a desktop computer in nearly a decade, and don't particularly enjoy "desktop gaming"

But I do want to be able to play a selection of PC games that require more than the anemic integrated gpu my laptop has, and aren't available on the xbox.

Endless Mike posted:

i've played pc games more in the month or so since i got mine than i probably did in the previous year. being able to lay on my couch and play games means i'm actually going to do it, unlike if i have to sit at my desk

that said, yeah, it's bulky, runs hot, and battery life is pretty bad.

this sounds promising

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so of the 1000+ games I somehow have in my stream library, something like 15-20% are fully supported, with another big chunk being partially supported (which can mean anything from "it'll start and run but beyond that good luck" to "It's totally fine but you have to manually call up the virtual keyboard sometimes" (this is how Cult of the Lamb is). honestly I like it a lot but yeah I doubt I'd ever take it on travel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

do you ever find yourself playing Nintendo switch and think “I wish that the switch played PC games and also the experience was like, 40% worse”?

then the steam desk might just be for you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes to the former, but not the latter

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

As someone who bought the steam controller when it first came out I have zero interest in the steam duck.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I meant to intentionally misspell that as steam dick but autocorrect keeps changing it to steam duck.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the apu's specs aren't even anything special compared with amd's current gen mobile chips anyway. you get 4 zen2 cores and 8 rdna2 cores on the steam dick (thank you ornamental dingbat), while ryzen 6000 mobile chips have 6-8 zen3+ cores and 6-12 rdna2 cores

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i think talking about the steam dick suckage just sold me on a new laptop

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkbook/thinkbook-series/thinkbook-13s-gen-4-(13-inch-amd)/21as001aus

this matches or beats the specs in pretty much every dimension other than "has built in controller"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

eve, like any other mmo, can be played how you want i think. it's fine to casual around. competitive mmo'ing in any game is a timesuck nightmare

that's why we pulled elusif, dod kalm, and solo drakban out of retirement. someone's gotta fund our horrible space adventures

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

As someone who bought the steam controller when it first came out I have zero interest in the steam duck.

I bought it on sale and it's legitimately one of the worst controllers I have ever used. It's worse than the madcatz ones you'd give to your friends/siblings when you played video games.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

do you ever find yourself playing Nintendo switch and think “I wish that the switch played PC games and also the experience was like, 40% worse”?

then the steam desk might just be for you.

yeah this is a pretty succinct description from my perspective. the "experience" part being worse to the extent you need to gently caress around and janitor things. like i had a hard time getting new vegas to work right (the installer didn't install it correctly somehow). but for example hollow knight works 100% fine, no problems.

imo the controller portion works well, minus the touchscreen and onscreen keyboard. the touchpads are okay, but i'm just too used to my mac's touchpad. gyro controls work pretty well for me and it's as good as the switch, if not better than since you can tweak it or put it in games that don't natively ship with gyro controls. like it works pretty well in fallout (with a few adjustments).

the desktop mode is pretty annoying to me. it got better after re-binding the controls. but it's literally a kde plasma desktop which is built for keyboard + mouse.

i played the entirety of witcher 3 on my couch with my switch, so playing big open world games with it is basically what i wanted. it does that for me, but with a few sharp edges.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

occasionally I get the idea in my head that I want a steam deck and the I remember that I have a laptop with a gtx 1650 in it that I already don’t use to play games.

then I fire up my switch and play BOTW for the 8 millionth time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
excuse me the correct nomenclature is steam dreck

i don't care for the handheld form factor at all so i don't have one, i basically don't use my switch either and use emulators whenever i want to play a switch thing. steam dreck seems cool though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I meant to intentionally misspell that as steam dick but autocorrect keeps changing it to steam duck.

as someone who doesn't follow "adult" games on steam i'd still be interested in hearing about any dicks valve will be releasing

would gaben show up at your house with an IoT weiner if you pre-order? asking for myself

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so people are paying hundreds of dollars for the opportunity to have the less-powerful console experience combined with the janitorial bullshit of the computer game experience

that sounds terrible. which is a bummer, id hoped it would be a console that played computer games without bullshit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

a console that played computer games without bullshit

that's just a console

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the bullshit part about computer games is the computer part

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dangit pokejoe you know what i mean!!!!

but youre not wrong

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my husband bought a steam deck and he likes it ok. the fan it came with was loving awful and loud, but he bought a kit to swap out the fan, and it's much more tolerable now.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

The problem with eve (and elite dangerous) is that no matter how you play it most of it will be hours of getting from point a to point b and
In both case it's a long and boring experience that is just not engaging enough.

I've been playing elite again for the past few weeks and it's really sad how much fsd cruise ruins everything else by being so bad and boring.

The way the gameplay is segmented in multiple parts works pretty well and most of the gameplays are interesting enough and are easy to pick up but also give you room to perform them better (docking is a good example), but you have these super long "point at target and wait" fsd cruise parts that just completely ruin the pace of the game.

Like the only reason I end up overshooting my destination in fsd cruise is pretty much always because my mind wandered while watching number go down.

They could make the game so much better overall just by overhauling that part and giving it some gameplay other than "watch number go down for 5 minutes then throttle down"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I thought the point of the game was that while doing that, you listen to podcasts.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

I thought the point of the game was that while doing that, you listen to podcasts.

this is how some people make the game work for them, yes, but that's just a way to cope with the game's major flaw

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Zlodo posted:

this is how some people make the game work for them, yes, but that's just a way to cope with the game's major flaw

It works better if you think of Elite as a space simulator first and foremost rather than a game-y game. I like Elite, but it seems like it was put together by consulting physicists and space nerd enthusiasts first as a simulator of our galaxy and the game aspect had to fit in that framework afterwards.

For the exploration-heads with Asp Explorers, that's great. Haulers that want to play dad games in their sci-fi Type-9, that's also great with a podcast on the side. People that want to play a game are going to have to grit their teeth.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

That's basically been the thing with all Elite games, certainly since Frontier anyway.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The feature that ED is missing most is a canyon/asteroid racing mode. The ships are already so much fun to handle but there's almost no reason to do fun manouvers outside of combat

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Using weapons would be illegal but the ref can't see the whole course. Literally just pod racing so idk why they haven't done it already

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

distortion park posted:

The feature that ED is missing most is a canyon/asteroid racing mode. The ships are already so much fun to handle but there's almost no reason to do fun manouvers outside of combat

Absolutely. Easy* win would be to allow more combat/race environments (space station debris, asteroid fields, planet rings, canyons, cave systems) for people that just want to pilot their speedy, good-game-feel ships like the Vulture.

* talking out of my rear end, it might be nightmarish to implement for all I know

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the real issue with ed is that it never gets hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well clearly someone's never tried to have fun with it