Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Lone Badger posted:

Do your taxis companies really not have apps? (and phone dispatch prior to that)

Kind of? But they're incredibly unreliable. On the rare instances that I need a cab, I always have to call like three of them just to guarantee that one of them will actually loving show up. I kind of miss living in big cities like Philly and SF where you can just look around with your hand up and get a cab (disclosure: I'm white).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Our local taxi companies have radio ads that advertise “like Uber but not as good” modern features

I don’t use them often but if I did it would still be Uber

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Go to pretty much any major airport and you'll see a line of taxis lined up at arrivals, totally unoccupied and ready to go, and a bunch of people choosing instead to walk over to the Uber/Lyft pickup spot and hang around for 10-15 minutes waiting for their driver to arrive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sydin posted:

Go to pretty much any major airport and you'll see a line of taxis lined up at arrivals, totally unoccupied and ready to go, and a bunch of people choosing instead to walk over to the Uber/Lyft pickup spot and hang around for 10-15 minutes waiting for their driver to arrive.

Meanwhile minor airports are just desolate, good luck waiting less than half an hour for a non-Uber/Lyft pickup unless you've got your own car.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

My car was making a knock from the right wheel area so my wife stopped at a place for a diagnostic/quote for it

She called me while there and I laughed at the quote and I said no fuckin way, so they gave her a copy with a big "CAR UNSAFE DO NOT DRIVE" stamped on it.

So she drove it back home, I google the part # for the control arm and see O'Reilly has it for around $170.00, so I get one there in about 20 minutes, and it takes me about an hour to install it.

And the bushings were worn on the ball joint but it wasn't "CAR UNSAFE" bullshit.

Also I had just done the brakes/fluids/filters about a month prior.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

I wasn't going to join in taxibashchat, but then I remembered the one time my car battery died at the airport parking lot, in the winter, at minus 30. Taxis in my city offer boosts at a flat rate, but airport taxis are notorious for not wanting to do anything other than drive back to the main part of the city, since it's a significant chunk of coin for them to do so. I assumed out of the 17 waiting taxi's, one of them would do a quick boost, but none of them would. gently caress em.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I'm in England and my local taxi company has always been great. Except last time I needed them where I booked through their app, and they sent an unmarked third-party private car who refused to take my card and drove me to a cash machine so I could get him cash out. It was extremely scary as a woman travelling alone and I will not be using them any more.

jfc :(

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Had a text from "CVS" to take a survey in exchange for my choice of reward. All I had to do was pay shipping with my credit card. The website and everything actually looked fairly legitimate and the survey questions were pretty realistic, e.g. how often do you visit CVS, do you do drive through pharmacy, how close is one to you, etc. But obviously CVS is not going to offer a free set of air pods for someone who takes their survey. Would have been pretty believable if it were like a 5 dollar CVS gift card or something. Though then they don't have an excuse to ask for your CC information.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Postal reminder: in order to avoid your package being put on hold, please ad the delivery address in time. Clearly.not.a.usps.or.other.delivery.service.URL"

Gotta love those totally legitimate texts!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Postal reminder: in order to avoid your package being put on hold, please ad the delivery address in time. Clearly.not.a.usps.or.other.delivery.service.URL"

Got an email last week from “USPS” saying “Complete Registration Form Asap to Receive Your Package!”with a shady massively long link. USPS basically holding a package hostage until I register with them. No thanks!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

got a text for fake forever stamps

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, I'm totally going to respond to this urgent text from M&T about letting X Y use my account there (I don't have an account there).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I got a 30-day burner phone while I was in the US for one month and I still got a JW voice mail

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

I got a 30-day burner phone while I was in the US for one month and I still got a JW voice mail

Prepaid phones draw from a finite pool of numbers that get reassigned after a month of inactivity so you are either getting a signup from a previous user of that number or someone is just sweeping the entire exchange.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Tunicate posted:

got a text for fake forever stamps

Was it a good deal?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spazzle posted:

Was it a good deal?

half price

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

peanut posted:

My first spam call came in before the text message that confirmed my phone had been activated

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Believe it or not this is almost the only scam text I ever get.

Joke's on them, my wife gets 95% of the packages.

I looked through them and I had the cvs one as well and a few lonely milfs in my area from a year or 2 ago.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just got a fake Norton invoice email that somehow made its way past the filters, well done

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The real Norton probably deserves a place in this thread anyway.

My mother's computer came with Norton antivirus pre installed and she's been paying the subscription for it. It keeps throwing up annoying pop-ups, some just telling her to do things that you would expect an antivirus to just do silently in the background, others nagging her to buy other Norton products.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

The real Norton probably deserves a place in this thread anyway.

My mother's computer came with Norton antivirus pre installed and she's been paying the subscription for it. It keeps throwing up annoying pop-ups, some just telling her to do things that you would expect an antivirus to just do silently in the background, others nagging her to buy other Norton products.

The real Norton, Peter Norton, is fine. Symantic deserves to be here.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It suckers people in because if you're paying for a product that's silently doing everything in the background (or using the free windows alternative that works fine on its own) then how can you be sure it's working? Yeah I only ever visit the same 4 sites but what if I get a virus off of them? If I get barraged with weekly reports and notices to scan my computer then that's a product that's being proactive in most people's eyes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

When I built my last PC, Norton pre installed with the motherboard drivers. The PC then started shutting itself down a few minutes after power on, every time.

I thought I'd broken something but on an offhand forum comments, rush uninstalled Norton before it could power off and never had the problem again

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In Norton's defense, you can't pick up malware if your computer is off, so it WAS working.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Simsmagic posted:

It suckers people in because if you're paying for a product that's silently doing everything in the background (or using the free windows alternative that works fine on its own) then how can you be sure it's working? Yeah I only ever visit the same 4 sites but what if I get a virus off of them? If I get barraged with weekly reports and notices to scan my computer then that's a product that's being proactive in most people's eyes

software for people with middle-manager Boomer brain: if it's not at its desk sending me notifications, it's not working!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I spent a few months unable to use IMs on AOL (this was....a while ago), because Norton was just entirely, silently blocking the function for ??? reasons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Norton and McAfee served a purpose back when there were a finite number of simple malware that could reasonably be covered by a signature database. Just a simple "this file is on the list of bad files, don't let it do anything" that could save you from a worm sent by your dipshit relative who didn't even look at the chainmail they were forwarding. The thing is though the malware landscape has evolved multi-dimensionally beyond that by this point, and none of the major vendors were interested in putting in the work to keep their solutions actually relevant, particularly their general consumer products. So now it's just blatantly a scam that these vendors pay to get prepackaged into Dell and HP machines so they can swindle tech illiterate folks into paying for a worthless subscription.

There are more sophisticated anti-malware tools aimed at the enterprise that have actually kept up with the threat landscape and detect on the bases off file/process behavior and historical patterns of usage on the device; the fanciest ones are even able to detect and block execution of fileless ransomware injected into memory. AFAIK the closest you can come to getting these capabilities in a non-business offering is Malwarebytes premium, although for most people who browse the same dozen or so sites 99% of the time it's overkill.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The best anti-malware software you can install today is an adblocker.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

uBlock and Privacy Badger will save your mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

uBlock and Privacy Badger will save your mind.

Occasionally I get on the internet with my phone that doesn't have an ad blocker. I can't imagine that experience being the norm or anyone ever doing that. I wonder the % of users is that uses these extensions because if it's less than 80% I don't see how the internet even functions let alone provide a pleasurable experience. Dear god, it looks like the TV from Idiocracy without them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:hmmyes:

BiggerBoat posted:

Occasionally I get on the internet with my phone that doesn't have an ad blocker. I can't imagine that experience being the norm or anyone ever doing that. I wonder the % of users is that uses these extensions because if it's less than 80% I don't see how the internet even functions let alone provide a pleasurable experience. Dear god, it looks like the TV from Idiocracy without them.

I legitimately don't know how anybody watches Youtube without adblockers. Every video is just a barrage of commercials, and now apparently the commercials that play can themselves be youtube videos? What the gently caress???

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watch it now for Baby Einstein on my tv and there are five minute commercial tv shows for horse Bratz or something and sometimes fifteen

I think they are designed for parents to put on and walk away from, so the kid is just absorbing commercials? Yt Premium is $12/ mth here, screw that

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The kids videos always have super long ads too, like 30 minutes or so. I assume the algorithm noticed that the kids videos more often have full ad watches so they thrust the worst ones on it. Why the hell is there even a 30+ minute advertisement to begin with, like who the hell would watch that and why would companies even bother making and uploading them?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The single likeliest demographic to actually sit through an infomercial-length ad is a small unsupervised child being babysat by the tablet/monitor, who doesn't have access to/knowledge of the controls to kill the ad, and will watch anything rather than watching nothing. And a small child pestering their adult that I WANT THIS I WANT IT I WANT IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEASE has a lot of buying power.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I think they are designed for parents to put on and walk away from, so the kid is just absorbing commercials?

It's worse than advertisements.

You Tube's weird algorithms eventually lead to a bunch of really harsh, graphic and decidedly non kid friendly shows that LOOK like children's programming with Spiderman and Minecraft or whatever but are really loving dark and violent. I had to remove YT from my kid's computer and put strict controls and monitoring on the channel when he stays with me.

Some of this poo poo I saw was incredibly hosed up and gave him nightmares. I'm talking rape, animal cruelty and decapitations here.

I'm not sure what the end game for these things are supposed to be, really, but there must be a reason beyond "clicks" I would like to think.

Probably this belongs in the tech nightmares thread.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Iirc, some of the videos are now algorithmicly generated for the clicks, so just start getting darker and darker.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BiggerBoat posted:

It's worse than advertisements.

You Tube's weird algorithms eventually lead to a bunch of really harsh, graphic and decidedly non kid friendly shows that LOOK like children's programming with Spiderman and Minecraft or whatever but are really loving dark and violent. I had to remove YT from my kid's computer and put strict controls and monitoring on the channel when he stays with me.

Some of this poo poo I saw was incredibly hosed up and gave him nightmares. I'm talking rape, animal cruelty and decapitations here.

I'm not sure what the end game for these things are supposed to be, really, but there must be a reason beyond "clicks" I would like to think.

Probably this belongs in the tech nightmares thread.

poo poo really? Did that stuff even make it into the Youtube Kids thing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

unknown posted:

Iirc, some of the videos are now algorithmicly generated for the clicks, so just start getting darker and darker.

Yeah at least some of it is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

poo poo really? Did that stuff even make it into the Youtube Kids thing?

yes