Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tee Lopes has gone mad with power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLTMX5MVxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic unleashed is really good and I'm glad people are coming around on it

also for heroes and shadow both i recommend downloading a finished save file "just in case"

Twerk from Home posted:

The guy who chases you in the Aquarium Act 4, and then the Terminal Velocity last area: https://info.sonicretro.org/Big_Chaser, he has no tell of which lane the laser is going to be in. Nothing at all, no glow, no warning, so it took me a stupid amount of attempts to survive him. I googled some Wii footage uploaded to Youtube in 2011, and it looks like in the original release his cannons would glow to show which lanes his lasers would attack, but that's completely gone in the Ultimate release.

I'm fairly certain you're running into a bug, i played the switch version and that doesn't sound familiar

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hatty posted:

The only one you shouldn’t get the GameCube version of is Adventure DX because they made it butt ugly for some reason, PC version with restoration mods is ideal

Adventure was designed around showing off stuff the Dreamcast could do and they didn't know how to program GameCubes yet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s not nearly as bad as DX but Adventure 2 Battle had some downgrades from the original too. Mainly in cutscenes, some scenes completely lost their lighting which made them look really weird and flat, and there were transparency issues that made certain effects look worse

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

Not sure about the PC versions but Heroes and Shadow are definitely the most stable on GameCube (I’ve heard stories of the PS2 and Xbox versions crashing a lot, especially in the case of Heroes)

Come to think of it, did Shadow the Hedgehog even get a PC port?

Nope. Sonic Adventure 2 didn't get a PC port either until about 10 years ago too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

It’s not nearly as bad as DX but Adventure 2 Battle had some downgrades from the original too. Mainly in cutscenes, some scenes completely lost their lighting which made them look really weird and flat, and there were transparency issues that made certain effects look worse

Battle did at least make the Knuckles/Rouge stages a little more bearable by adding a fourth signal to the radar (when you’re right next to a shard an exclamation point will appear over your character’s head)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think SA2:B also removed all the Big the Cat easter eggs?

I remember game faqs and the sorts had mostly imported guides for SA2B so it was always confusing when some of the dreamcast specific stuff didn't work.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

The big thing is that Battle hosed up a lot of the sound mixing, but there's a mod to fix that for the PC version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I think SA2:B also removed all the Big the Cat easter eggs?

I remember game faqs and the sorts had mostly imported guides for SA2B so it was always confusing when some of the dreamcast specific stuff didn't work.

They removed him from the stages for some reason (and as a playable character in the multiplayer mode) but I believe the easter eggs where you can get him to pop up in certain cutscenes are still in the game

Also is it just me or is the truck at the end of City Escape faster in SA2B than it was in the original?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not the biggest fan of even the sonic unleashed daytime stages, those early boost controls are pretty clunky

Rooftop run is a true pinnacle of level design though

Also I definitely saw big in SA2 battle, but he wasn't consistent. Sometimes I'd see him walking by in the background of a cutscene, but watch the same scene again and he's gone. No idea on the technical details but it really pissed me off as a kid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of even the sonic unleashed daytime stages, those early boost controls are pretty clunky

Rooftop run is a true pinnacle of level design though

Also I definitely saw big in SA2 battle, but he wasn't consistent. Sometimes I'd see him walking by in the background of a cutscene, but watch the same scene again and he's gone. No idea on the technical details but it really pissed me off as a kid

I think you have to press certain buttons during cutscenes to get him to pop up but I could be wrong

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

After Unleashed, I was shocked by just how short most of the stages were, and it seems like stretching them out into 6 acts made individual acts feel samey.

it’s not just because you spend 6 acts in each zone that it feels samey.
Zones in Colors usually have maybe 2 full-length acts with unique geometry and setpieces. The rest of the acts are short challenge stages, usually based around a single gimmick, that take place in a walled-off section of one of those main acts with new objects placed. You’ll see certain setpieces like the fountain in Tropical Resort multiple times as different acts make use of that section of the level. You also see a lot of floating blocks in these levels since those are easy to drag and drop into a stage. All of the boost-era games have levels like these but Colors is the only one that really mixes them in with the main stages without differentiating them

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Nthing Sonic GT and Sonic World for 3d fangames that are good.

GT plays the best of any 3D Sonic game, but it's also like an hour long.

World plays about like Sonic Adventure, and has a shitload of levels and playable characters. I wouldn't recommend picking it up right now though, they've been working on a new version with a bunch of improvements for years, and it comes out at SAGE soon.

Also, just in general, SAGE, (Sonic Amateur Games Expo), a big yearly fan game expo, tends to have a bunch of 3d stuff that is at least "pretty good" every year. Although honestly it feels like you have to TRY to make anything in the Bumper Engine (what GT uses, playing with momentum is so fun) or the Infinity Engine (a good version of the Boost style) unfun.

I mean I've seen it done, but still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looper posted:

sonic unleashed is really good and I'm glad people are coming around on it

I don't know if I can come all the way around to this. Unleashed has good stages, but it's packed with absolute slogs of night levels that don't play like a Sonic game, and don't even capture any of the joy of the God of Wars they're attempting to clone. That said, the highs that it hits are pretty drat high, and I fully get now why fans have been porting the levels to Generations.

I found myself wishing that it didn't use medals for progression of the core story, and ended up watching youtube videos of a child recording his CRT TV to find medals quickly without having to slog through the night levels again.

You can just feel how much effort went into Unleashed though, it feels absolutely enormous compared to Colors and Generations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I mean, Sonic Unleashed's problem has always been that it's two entirely different games stapled crudely together. Even people who are into the night stages typically agree that the game would have been stronger if it was either only the day stages or only the night stages.

Honestly it's a symptom of one of the major challenges that's plagued the development of every game that uses the boost mechanic: Because of the speeds that Sonic can attain the main levels need to be absolutely gigantic, because the main levels need to be gigantic they take an immense amount of time and resources to develop, because they take so much time to develop they can't reasonably create a game with more than a dozen or so main stages, and because there are no more than a dozen or so main stages they need to find a way to pad out the content or they're going to be left with a fairly short game that won't justify its price tag on launch. So pretty much every boost game includes a bunch of filler material to extend playtime without having to invest the same level of resources as the main stages.

Unleashed had the night levels, Colors had the extra acts, Generations had the challenge missions.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the werehog is worth it for the scene where amy hugs sonic and thinks she got the wrong hog yet again

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Ohhhh man. I thought that I was up for Shadow the Hedgehog, but hoo boy this is a mess.

Also, I know it's "The Edgy Sonic" but it also snuck in under an E rating, right? After putting the kids down I started it up to preview it and the intro is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in the Sonic-verse since Titan Tails. Is Shadow really angrily rambo-ing down cops?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah it owns lol. Too bad about the actual game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Ohhhh man. I thought that I was up for Shadow the Hedgehog, but hoo boy this is a mess.

Also, I know it's "The Edgy Sonic" but it also snuck in under an E rating, right? After putting the kids down I started it up to preview it and the intro is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in the Sonic-verse since Titan Tails. Is Shadow really angrily rambo-ing down cops?

90% of the scenes shown in the opening are not actually in the game (such as any scene showing Shadow holding a gun outside of gameplay)

Of course, the actual game is much dumber than that

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 16, 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Don’t worry it gets even dumber

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Shadow was one of the first games to get the new E-10 ESRB rating iirc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
shadow the hedgehog is art

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

the dumbest thing I've ever seen in the Sonic-verse since Titan Tails.

A gun and motorcycle would have helped Titan Tails' character so much.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Procrastine posted:

Shadow was one of the first games to get the new E-10 ESRB rating iirc

They were initially targeting a T rating but then found out about E-10 and toned it down a bit to get that rating (there was originally gonna be red human blood in the game and not just green alien blood)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shadow the Hedgehog is my guilty pleasure. It's such a bad game but I can't for the life of me say it isn't entertaining in how bad and try hard edgy it wants to be.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Late to the topic of Unleashed but if you ever want to replay it then I highly recommend just playing the Unleashed Project mod for Sonic Generations. Lets you play all the good stages and none of the Werehog poo poo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Late to the topic of Unleashed but if you ever want to replay it then I highly recommend just playing the Unleashed Project mod for Sonic Generations. Lets you play all the good stages and none of the Werehog poo poo.

Agreed, Unleashed project is just incredible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The only problem with unleashed project is that it came out too soon. There have been huge improvements in Generations hacking since then that could have led to a more expansive and faithful psuedoport.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

We need more edgehog games

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog is my guilty pleasure. It's such a bad game but I can't for the life of me say it isn't entertaining in how bad and try hard edgy it wants to be.

It's a time capsule of an age long forgotten.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
CAN YOU SEE ALL OF ME?
WALK INTO MY MYSTERY
STEP INSIDE AND HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE!

DO YOU REMEMBER ME?
CAPTURE YOU OR SET YOU FREE
I AM ALL, I AM ALL OF ME!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
HERE WE GO, BUDDY
HERE WE GO, BUDDY
HERE WE GO
HERE WE GO, BUDDY
HERE WE GO

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I once got a shadow the hedgehog reference into the fan translation of PSO2

quote:

Heheh... I remember everything now...
I am the "Black Wolf", Kyokuya...
The one who rules over darkness...
This is WHO I AM.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

ALL HAIL SHADOW
HEROES RISE AGAIN
OBLITERATING EVERYTHING
THAT'S NOT YOUR FRIEND!
NOTHING CAN STOP YOU NOW
NO GHOST TO BRING YOU DOWN
WHEN THERE'S NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE
YOU WIN

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WE’RE ALMOST DEAD
ALMOST DEAD
ALMOST DEAD TO THE WORLD

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Shadow needs, nay deserves, a good game of his own. If they ever do another Sonic Mania, they should make it Shadow Mania, and it’ll be filled with 2d reimagining of Shadow’s best stages like his SA2 levels and…. Uh, other great levels of his that I’m sure exist

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Look, if Generations can wrangle a good experience out of Crisis City-

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ironslave posted:

Look, if Generations can wrangle a good experience out of Crisis City-

I kinda hated Crisis City on Generations. Probably better than its source, sure--but I didn't think it was good.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I want to know more about what Shadow gets up to in his off hours...And by that I mean I want confirmation of my head canon that he and Omega have been crashing on Rouge's couch rent free for the past decade and she's getting increasingly fed up with their freeloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
shadow mania would be a metal slug game