Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In The Magician King, Quentin Coldwater is given a passport by a small child that serves as Quentin's entry passport into the Fillorian underworld. The passport is confiscated and not returned.

Later, when attempting to cross over to the opposite side of Fillory, the guards deny Quentin entry because the passports are single use.

Does this mean that Quentin will not be able to enter the afterlife at all when he dies, or just the Fillorian afterlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's ask the author of the b

ok nope, not asking him. i think it's the latter op. he can't go to the fillorian afterlife. which, in the context of the novel given how it ends, probably isn't that big a deal

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, talk about nominative determinism.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Magicians can't be kings it's simply illogical

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let's ask the author of the b

ok nope, not asking him. i think it's the latter op. he can't go to the fillorian afterlife. which, in the context of the novel given how it ends, probably isn't that big a deal

yep. that guy is definitely named "lev grossman"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/hbw9lDY.mp4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

McGavin posted:

lmfao

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Let's ask David Peace, author of The Red Riding Hood Quartet what he thinks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Are these guys brothers or what?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we go now live to Moby for his reaction

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ugly bald begoggled white men :thunk:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I heard the books aren't as good as the show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

itry posted:

The books pretty much focus exclusively on Quentin instead of the more ensemble nature of the show.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I haven't watched the show yet I'm waiting for my wife to finish the books.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Once the show got going I really enjoyed it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I mostly liked the show. The last season was kinda meh, iirc, but at least it got an ending.

muscles like this! posted:

The books pretty much focus exclusively on Quentin instead of the more ensemble nature of the show.

I thought the books were edgier or something.

Edit: Also that Quentin is insufferable in them, but that's probably the result of being inside the character's head.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 16, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

McGavin posted:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

itry posted:

I mostly liked the show. The last season was kinda meh, iirc, but at least it got an ending.

Edit: Also that Quentin is insufferable in them, but that's probably the result of being inside the character's head.

I liked how the show had an entire episode trying to convince its watchers that Quentin was NOT the main character despite him the being the one that usually drove the main plot forward, and the character that tied all the other characters together. This was done right before the character was killed off in the season finale for the penultimate season..

Also, the book was terrible because instead of showing how magic isn't going to solve all your problems, it just showed that being an hedonistic rear end in a top hat will ultimately just make your life miserable. The only character that wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat was Penny.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I liked how the show had an entire episode trying to convince its watchers that Quentin was NOT the main character despite him the being the one that usually drove the main plot forward, and the character that tied all the other characters together. This was done right before the character was killed off in the season finale for the penultimate season..

Also, the book was terrible because instead of showing how magic isn't going to solve all your problems, it just showed that being an hedonistic rear end in a top hat will ultimately just make your life miserable. The only character that wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat was Penny.

Huh, in the show Penny is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat :v:

Regarding the spoiler; yeah that was a weird decision. I guess somebody got bored or busy with other things.

Also, don't click the SPOILER Applewhite :ohdear:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Applewhite posted:

In The Magician King, Quentin Coldwater is given a passport by a small child that serves as Quentin's entry passport into the Fillorian underworld. The passport is confiscated and not returned.

Later, when attempting to cross over to the opposite side of Fillory, the guards deny Quentin entry because the passports are single use.

Does this mean that Quentin will not be able to enter the afterlife at all when he dies, or just the Fillorian afterlife?

Season 1. Too much loving. Season 2-4 pretty good. Season 5 whatever I guess not bad just whatever.

I'm probably remembering correctly it's been 4 days since I finished.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 16, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Josh is more interesting than Quentin and the moon thing was p good imo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show does a lot better with some characters, like Janet gets a lot more to do.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

itry posted:

That too.

When you hear that a fantasy book is edgy it means there's a very graphic, violent, painstakingly described rape scene and oh boy does that hold true here.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

why are that mans ears upside down

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
what

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
How would you take a passport with you when you're dead? Like, normal dead or Fillorian dead doesn't really matter.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That too.

When you hear that a fantasy book is edgy it means there's a very graphic, violent, painstakingly described rape scene and oh boy does that hold true here.

Oh, right. Of course.

Vim Fuego posted:

How would you take a passport with you when you're dead? Like, normal dead or Fillorian dead doesn't really matter.

Presumably the same way those pharaohs took all of those cats.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

books are never as good as the show nobody wants to read a bunch of boring loving internal monologues or read a 5 paragraph description of the roasted ham

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

books are never as good as the show nobody wants to read a bunch of boring loving internal monologues or read a 5 paragraph description of the roasted ham

lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I wanna read 5 paragraphs about heaving bosoms during coitus. They got any of that in these books or no?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

two of the characters gently caress while shapeshifted into arctic foxes. in the second book a much larger, angrier fox is considerably less concerned with consent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm writing a book and I definely have to put in some furry poo poo to bank that Zootopia money

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Lev, truly the grossest of men

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

itry posted:

Lev Grossman prefers the show to his books, it feels like a different time loop. Margo's name is Janet in the books, they make a nod to this and ask about Janet a few times in the show for everyone to be confused.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Lev Grossman prefers the show to his books, it feels like a different time loop. Margo's name is Janet in the books, they make a nod to this and ask about Janet a few times in the show for everyone to be confused.

I'm glad they changed it because frankly the whole Janet and Julia thing confused me constantly.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Post/AV combo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pixaal posted:

There's also a point where the main characters have fake lives with new identities and Margo's is named Janet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
A bald author, you're always just looking for where the anger shows in the characters.