Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Feeling like you're in the game world is literally the entire point of VR, so "that will never happen" is also a pretty buck wild thing to say. This ain't my first rodeo and I've personally experienced that feeling before on the Rift, so idk what you're on about.

Can't comment on the G2 since I haven't tried one, but are you saying you found the image in an OG Rift to look better than what you saw in a Quest2? I think if so that Q2 must be busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

No, but that (and later the Vive, maybe I'm conflating the two experiences because it has been a hot minute) compared to 1080p was enough to blow my mind in a way that this when I'm used to 1440p/4k is not.

It's also completely possible that this thing is busted, or some setting somewhere is causing it to run in lower resolution than it should. I don't know anyone local who has a known good one, or else I would love to pop that on and see how it's supposed to look

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Unsinkabear posted:

Lol, jfc are you serious? I've mentioned Moss, Beat Saber, and Elite Dangerous because those are the games I've tried so far, not because those are the only games I'm interested in and am buying exclusively with those in mind. What an insane leap to make just so you can bash a game that didn't do it for you. The visual issues I'm having are across the board and not just limited to Moss.

Feeling like you're in the game world is literally the entire point of VR, so "that will never happen" is also a pretty buck wild thing to say. This ain't my first rodeo and I've personally experienced that feeling before on the Rift, so idk what you're on about.

Not only did you ignore 90% of what I said and not offer any advice on any of the issues I'm encountering, you didn't even make any actual argument here for the Quest or against the Reverb other than "cords are 2017." Go have breakfast, drink some coffee, and try again.
Some people here are just weirdly hostile about things. Best to ignore and move on.

At this point in the year 2022, I wouldn't buy a headset other than a Quest 2. Having a self-contained unit is an amazing quality of life enhancement, and you can still plug it into a desktop PC for non-Oculus Store games and anything that would benefit from running off more powerful hardware.

I can't speak to your issues with connecting to a PC; I've played PCVR games on my Quest 2 for hours with no issues, both through the USB3 cable and through AirLink. Occasionally I'll get some mild stutter from AirLink, but USB3 has always been rock-solid.

The only real downside I've encountered with the Quest 2 is that its field of view isn't great compared to other headsets -- it sometimes feels like viewing the world through a pair of goggles. That may be what's giving you the sense of "disconnect" from the VR world, and it is indeed a limitation of the hardware. I've found that it only bothers me for about five minutes at the beginning of a session, and then I don't notice it anymore. It's definitely worse if I have the glasses spacer installed (my wife wears glasses, and we haven't gotten lens inserts for her yet).

I mean, if you're happier with other hardware, great... But I think a Quest 2 is the best recommendation for most people who don't have very specific, informed reasons for wanting something else.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fair enough, I'll keep troubleshooting. Maybe I just haven't done enough with it yet to appreciate the standalone aspect as much as everyone else seems to

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Unsinkabear posted:

or some setting somewhere is causing it to run in lower resolution than it should.

Did you actually go check this though? Cuz that could be an easy explanation and I think the default is some kind of "auto" based on your hardware and the refresh rate you're running it at.

The Quest 2 software is buggy though, you're not wrong there. Some people get lucky but a lot don't in all kinds of different ways. Problem is, all the other options software wise for other headsets aren't really any better.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BrainDance posted:

Problem is, all the other options software wise for other headsets aren't really any better.

Oof, that's rough.

I did go looking for that option, but all I could find was bitrate controls. Those introduced visual and audio stutter when I took it off auto and cranked it to 200, but didn't seem to improve visuals or framerate. I need to switch the Quest back to being on the primary Wifi 6 router w/ everything else on my secondary Wifi 5 network, and I guess put bitrate back on auto?

It's weird that there's no direct resolution setting anywhere that you can check, though

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 15, 2022

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'll bring it up again: I thought the G2 sucked rear end and sent it back. The image quality outside of the sweet spot was bad and blurry, and the tracking would routinely have my controllers wandering off. Made Thrill of the Fight really frustrating to play. The software is also pretty not great. I'm happier with my OG Rift.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Welp. It's already on the way, but I have no qualms about sending it back if it sucks. Might be a used Rift S or something in my future if they're both disappointing

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Unsinkabear posted:

It's weird that there's no direct resolution setting anywhere that you can check, though

It's in the Oculus software in the Device tab

The same place as where you set the refresh rate

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 15, 2022

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Don't get a Rift S if you plan on using social VR at all. Or plan on using a separate microphone. It has a design flaw where the mic becomes extremely drive thru quality.

It's pretty notorious in VRChat.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BrainDance posted:

It's in the Oculus software in the Device tab

The same place as where you set the refresh rate

Found it, thanks. I had clicked on both "Quest 2 and Touch" and "Quest 2" in that menu, but hadn't realized you could scroll down the former. It was set to 72Hz and "Automatic." That meant 1.0x render resolution (4128 x 2069) right now with nothing running, but who knows what it was dropping to the rest of the time. I switched off automatic to lock it there, we'll see if that helps.

Edit: I also had to restart the Quest to get it to find the PC via Airlink this time. Hopefully needing that reboot was the source of the previous cable connection trouble as well, rather than both of those being a sign of ongoing connection problems with this unit :ohdear:

Kazy posted:

Don't get a Rift S if you plan on using social VR at all. Or plan on using a separate microphone. It has a design flaw where the mic becomes extremely drive thru quality.

Lol gently caress, alright

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 15, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or get a modmic or just wear your ~~G A M E R~~ headphones over it to make the Rift S sound good

Also, this game looks real cool and also has a demo on app lab. Gonna try it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjtZQ1Sma8&t=301s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazy posted:

I can personally confirm this. After you've seen it happen once to someone, you will always know exactly who's using a Rift S in VRChat.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Used a Rift S for a couple years on VRChat. It’s doable but I’d keep a separate mic (wireless headset) around for when it goes bad.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Just brainstorming here, does the USB3 cable on the Quest 2 need to be plugged into a 3.0 port? Could using 3.2 (the closest my mobo has) be the problem?

I'm assuming no, but I know some things like wireless receivers can get funky in those circumstances so I gotta cross it off the list of possibilities

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unsinkabear posted:

It stutters like crazy on Wifi 5 and is better but still not perfect on a designated Wifi 6.

Then theres something still loving with the signal in the air. Simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. You have an interference issue somewhere. Not that VD or airlink are perfect but "Crazy stutters" shouldn't be a thing. The once in a while hiccup due to "reason" sure. But constant? No.

Unsinkabear posted:

On a more positive note, can you elaborate on this? Because I'm going to be using it in the same spot next to my desk either way, and I have never once taken my Switch out of my apartment. So aside from blowing my parents minds with it one time, I can't think of many compelling reasons why wireless is a big enough deal to make sacrifices for. It seems real popular though, so I feel like I'm missing something.

Sometimes you just wanna boot up a thing and play a game. Lots of games are cross buy. Things like pistolwhip play exactly the same on pcvr as they do stand alone. Theres just no point in firing up the PC side of poo poo, dealing with airlink/vd/cables, to play something like that. I'm also the same way where I don't take my headsets out often, but the once in a while I do play in the yard, is fantastic. Or if I take it on a trip, that one early boring hotel room night, is much less boring.

Unsinkabear posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here too, because so far most of the appealing Quest accessories I've seen are solutions to problems it raises. An actually usable strap, a link cable because it doesn't come with its own, etc. As far as I can tell the G4 comes with everything it needs, you're just done.

G2 suffers the same fate index does with partly non removable stuff that gets smelly over time. Quest does not. Quest also has charging stands, controller condoms, battery packs, etc etc etc etc. Its the iPhone of VR where the G2 is like that one LG phone with a single clear case.

Unsinkabear posted:

This is the main thing you've said that concerns me, but I don't know enough to understand the rationale. Don't apps on the PCVR side build for Steam VR rather than all the possible devices themselves? I get that Quest is the market leader everyone has to keep in mind, but I'm not seeing why the Reverb needs to worry. It's not exactly ancient, they came out the same year.

Yeah but with stand alone being a focus lots of devs are skipping PCVR (Or saying they'll release it later, only to realize they don't need to and then don't). The ONLY reason we're working on our game right now PCVR first is due to needing media recorded and for our workflow currently it makes sense. Otherwise and we were fully funded? PCVR would take a back seat outside of an internal client to record things. Straight up.

Unsinkabear posted:

Wasn't tracking the main thing improved in the V2 upgrade? It sounded like several people above were disagreeing with you here, unless we're talking about different kinds of tracking.

Yes but its still not great. Its a step above the cosmos non elite but its still not fantastic. Beat saber, yeah naw.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or get a modmic or just wear your ~~G A M E R~~ headphones

Or just get some nice rear end earbuds instead and use that same dope rear end modmic. love my modmics.

forest spirit posted:

VR isn't magic lol. You aren't ever going to feel like you're in another world

get the quest 2.

also, don't anyone, ever, purchase a headset based off of Moss. You listed like that and Beat Saber.

Moss is an hour and a half toddler platformer. It was/is fine. But beyond a cute mouse the game is not even worth mentioning.

I REALLY want to make sure I have the right 500$ headset for the barely-game.

Sorry it's just Moss does nothing whatsoever to indicate it couldn't have just been a switch game. I've seen more beautiful pancake games, seeing a forest in 3D and it being a diorama now doesn't make it magical.

But yeah don't by the reverb. cords are 2017

Why are you in this thread if you hate VR so much?
Where did VR touch you? Show us on the doll.

Unsinkabear posted:

Just brainstorming here, does the USB3 cable on the Quest 2 need to be plugged into a 3.0 port? Could using 3.2 (the closest my mobo has) be the problem?

I'm assuming no, but I know some things like wireless receivers can get funky in those circumstances so I gotta cross it off the list of possibilities

I've had headsets not work on 3.2 ports or whatever and had to go back to standard 3.0 as dumb as that poo poo is.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 15, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

The only real downside I've encountered with the Quest 2 is that its field of view isn't great compared to other headsets -- it sometimes feels like viewing the world through a pair of goggles. That may be what's giving you the sense of "disconnect" from the VR world, and it is indeed a limitation of the hardware.

This is absolutely a factor to consider for anyone looking at the Quest 2 or indeed VR stuff in general right now.

Fortunately, my favorite pair of glasses have about the same FOV, so with a lens adapter fitted so I don't need the glasses spacer, it's pretty much what I'm used to already :v:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
VR doesn't feel like you're completely there yet, but it doesn't feel like you're just chilling in your room either. It's some in-between space that your brain is maintaining. I think the barrier is a combination of things. I still prefer the Q1 display over the Quest 2, despite the lower resolution and screen door, because the contrast of the oled screens go a long way in giving you a sense of depth and "there-ness" that the Q2 lacks. Additionally, though the current screen resolution is high, the games running in it are nowhere near matching that resolution because the hardware can't handle it. I don't think we'll get to really convincing visual parity with the real world until way better displays and more powerful processors roll out (micro led/oled maybe?). More resolution, faster response times, higher contrast, better cameras, really everything needs to improve. And that's not even addressing FOV, which needs to significantly expand beyond the Viewmaster feel it's currently at. All I have to do to break the illusion currently is to glance slightly left or right.

But given all that, feeling like you're completely "really there" will always be out of reach until full interactive directional sound, touch, temperature, smell, and everything else that our body interprets to be part of being in a real place is addressed. Even Zuck isn't ridiculous enough to dump money into development for most of that poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah but with stand alone being a focus lots of devs are skipping PCVR (Or saying they'll release it later, only to realize they don't need to and then don't). The ONLY reason we're working on our game right now PCVR first is due to needing media recorded and for our workflow currently it makes sense. Otherwise and we were fully funded? PCVR would take a back seat outside of an internal client to record things. Straight up.

This seems surprising since it seems like it just closes off some of the audience, but I guess not every Quest person is doing QuestLink.

It also seems counter to my experience playing VRChat where it sounds like the Quest-only options is second rate / creates limitations people don't like.

Right now I don't really want to have to deal with splitting my library or being boxed into the oculus ecosystem, so Quest exclusive games don't sound particularly attractive to me either, but I'm also a VR babby and can't really argue against how useful for adoption the fully standalone aspect of Quest is.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Oxyclean posted:

This seems surprising since it seems like it just closes off some of the audience, but I guess not every Quest person is doing QuestLink.

It closes off a small chunk of the VR scene in the USA. PCVR is niche af.

Oxyclean posted:

It also seems counter to my experience playing VRChat where it sounds like the Quest-only options is second rate / creates limitations people don't like.

VRchat is its own demon and does not require a VR headset to use.

Oxyclean posted:

Right now I don't really want to have to deal with splitting my library or being boxed into the oculus ecosystem, so Quest exclusive games don't sound particularly attractive to me either, but I'm also a VR babby and can't really argue against how useful for adoption the fully standalone aspect of Quest is.

I generally go pcvr side myself, but the handful of games I do own on my quest I treat like I do the handful of phone games I've bought over the years. Plus some games are basically the same as far as optics go so pcvr is kinda pointless sometimes. Pistol Whip is one of my fav examples of this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know Steam is seen as the default on PC, but the only use SteamVR has been to me is remapping the controls in Vivecraft, otherwise it's mostly been an unnecessary extra layer that constantly disables add-ons and takes slightly longer to load in games. If a game has crossbuy then just buy it through Oculus.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel pretty 'there' with VR. I mean I'm not smelling the salt air when I play the pirate cove in walkabout, but my brain is definitely going 'wow I'm in a real 3d space that behaves roughly how it should'. Such that looking over the edge of a building will make me afraid of heights. That seems p good to me?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As someone who hasn't played mini golf irl, it's pretty cool to see how you can improve in VR by playing it. Despite the obvious issue of the limited fov, I remember doing who knows how super high of a score the first time I played, and now I did -8 on the starting course.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Only bad thing I'll say about the Quest 2 is that the FOV is too small to play Ragnarock the way I want to, which is leaned entirely over the drums wailing like Animal

Lah-di-dah look at the fancy gentleman standing up straight to play the drum game

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Turin Turambar posted:

As someone who hasn't played mini golf irl, it's pretty cool to see how you can improve in VR by playing it. Despite the obvious issue of the limited fov, I remember doing who knows how super high of a score the first time I played, and now I did -8 on the starting course.

This is one of the cooler parts of VR, all VR games have high skill ceilings because you're moving you're real body around. I guess this doesn't apply as much to flightsims or any other game where you are sitting down.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I feel pretty 'there' with VR. I mean I'm not smelling the salt air when I play the pirate cove in walkabout, but my brain is definitely going 'wow I'm in a real 3d space that behaves roughly how it should'. Such that looking over the edge of a building will make me afraid of heights. That seems p good to me?

I have a pretty bad fear of heights that's usually triggered specifically when looking over edges, so I'm surprised that VR never really triggers it at all even when I feel pretty "immersed". Which uh isn't really a complaint, I don't want it to lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have a pretty bad fear of heights that's usually triggered specifically when looking over edges, so I'm surprised that VR never really triggers it at all even when I feel pretty "immersed". Which uh isn't really a complaint, I don't want it to lol

Tried richies plank exp?

Visually it still gets me for half a second. First time tho? Totally made me think twice about where i was or w/e.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In the Spider-Man like game Resist, I have no problems with the swinging/grappling part.
But the first mission has you walk on rickety scaffolding which made me sit down for that part.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I definitely caught myself hesitating the first few times I tried to or accidentally stepped off of a bridge or cliff in Walkabout.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I've yet to experience any kind of height thing in VR, though the act of falling does make me uneasy to a greater degree than I already do with a flat panel. However, VR has made me "smell" the dust plumes from opening things in Into The Radius. The first time it happened I had to take my headset off cause I was sure there was something around me causing the smell.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

"immersion" is a weird thing, it's either very subjective or has a ton of variables we don't exactly understand yet (or maybe I just don't understand and a lot of devs choose to not drive into for one reason or another.)

Obviously we get some things, having a player body seems to increase immersion, certain senses of depth seem to increase immersion, etc. But there's gotta be more.

For me, Skyrim VR with the obvious mods (though it doesn't need too many) can be immersive. But what triggers it is sitting down. Not playing sitting down but I'm running around somewhere and find a nice cliff overlooking Skyrim so I just sit down there and look around. Those are the moments I feel completely in the world as if it was real.

Richie's Plank Experience manages to feel incredibly immersive and I don't know why, it's barely a game. I'd say it was the sense of depth overpowering any doubt your brain would have but even just standing in the road when you start it up is immersive.

Lone Echo makes my brain think things are real. I think that's because of the locomotion it uses.

Then there's technical stuff that I imagine varies between people. For me, 72hz will never be immersive. My eyes are just sensitive and to me it looks like a strobe. Higher refresh rates are necessary. And low resolution/too much compression in something like airlink can take me out of it but less so than low refresh rate.

The exception is doom 3 in VR which runs natively on the Quest2 at a pretty low refresh rate. But I think the darkness of the game hides it.

I think this could be (and maybe has been) some genuine research in Psychology, on what immersion really is and what makes people immersed.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think it's the level of engagement and effort too that also helps one feel transported into the game world. Powerbeats VR is barely trying yet it doesn't take much for punching those little spheres to become all that I think and care about

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxyclean posted:

The Quest version of VRChat is abysmally simple. You can make a model with MAYBE two or three meshes, boring whitelisted integrated shaders with fuckall functionality (legitimate performance reasons, but still, relative to PC) no audio sources or Constraints of any kind. Pretty much creativity-wise for avatars it's No Fun Allowed.

Worlds aren't much better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I barely get VR immersion these days, I kinda wish I could forget everything and experience it for the first time again because getting vertigo from Oculus Home and the weird feeling the first time I pulled out of the pits in a racing sim were really cool to me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Very occasionally in a game like climbey or to the top a drop goes on just a bit longer than my vestibular system expects and it's like someone shot my legs with electricity and pulled the floor out from under me. It owns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The biggest thing that stops me from being immersed currently is just plain ergonomics. At least the Vive is still just a big huge heavy chunky thing strapped to my face that makes sweat go into my eyes and straps that will start to get uncomfortable about half an hour in. It's the main reason why I find myself rarely actually playing story-based VR games like Skyrim or Saints&Sinners, and instead gravitate to stuff like H3VR or Blade&Sorcery where I can just gently caress around for a round or two before bailing again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

The biggest thing that stops me from being immersed currently is just plain ergonomics. At least the Vive is still just a big huge heavy chunky thing strapped to my face that makes sweat go into my eyes and straps that will start to get uncomfortable about half an hour in. It's the main reason why I find myself rarely actually playing story-based VR games like Skyrim or Saints&Sinners, and instead gravitate to stuff like H3VR or Blade&Sorcery where I can just gently caress around for a round or two before bailing again.

If you have the cash, and can find one, get a Vive Pro HMD instead of the OG Vive. It's MUCH lighter weight-wise, (something like 480g for the Pro vs +850g with the DAS, iirc) on top of the gorgeous resolution upgrade.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Roadie posted:

Fortunately, my favorite pair of glasses have about the same FOV, so with a lens adapter fitted so I don't need the glasses spacer, it's pretty much what I'm used to already :v:

Second person on this page I've seen saying they don't need the glasses spacer with lens inserts.

I have VR optician lenses and I have to use the spacer with them because otherwise my eyelashes brush the lens and it's irritating. I have a pretty weak prescription so they aren't super thick.

Those of you using lenses without the spacer, where did you get them from? I want this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have the cash, and can find one, get a Vive Pro HMD instead of the OG Vive. It's MUCH lighter weight-wise, (something like 480g for the Pro vs +850g with the DAS, iirc) on top of the gorgeous resolution upgrade.

Somehow I ended up with a Vive Cosmos (I think it was like a hundred bucks cheaper than the pro at the time), so I already got the decent resolution. But yeah, having to deal with only half the weight sure is sounding tempting, and with the Pro 2 out it I might be able to snag one cheap-ish somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Does it take much computer juice to mirror the screen onto a monitor with PCVR?

It defaults to showing the game on the PC and I didn't know if I could eek out some better performance by minimizing that screen or not. Or maybe there is a setting that would stop it from automatically launching like that.