Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s insane how nostalgic that sound is. instantly takes me back to being a kid kneeling in front of the tube and getting blasted by that sound

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i skipped 3dfx. the texture filtering in the glide wrapper washed out the textures too much imo, and wtf you need a 2d card too?

there was one gpu I remember that required a daughter card or whatever (voodoo banshee I want to say?) but all other voodoo 2+ dropped that insane architecture.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nuts and Gum posted:

there was one gpu I remember that required a daughter card or whatever (voodoo banshee I want to say?) but all other voodoo 2+ dropped that insane architecture.

lol yes Voodoo1 card I owned had an output from your 2d card into your 3d card and then an output from that to your monitor - the card came with a very short VGA-VGA connector.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
early 3d graphics were poo poo on consoles, I was there. it looked uglier than 2d sprites, the controls were poo poo or at least much worse than 2d predecessors (yes I am talking about Mario) and many game creators seemed to think that having 3d absolved them from creating actually good games

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nuts and Gum posted:

the banshee was the first voodoo card that combined 2d and 3d hardware, and it was sort of in-between the voodoo graphics and the voodoo2 in terms of performance

also it should be noted that 3dfx wasn't the only company initially creating purely 3d hardware: nec's first line of powervr cards also required a separate 2d card

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol yes Voodoo1 card I owned had an output from your 2d card into your 3d card and then an output from that to your monitor - the card came with a very short VGA-VGA connector.
the voodoo2 didn't have any 2d hardware either and therefore required the same passthrough method, but i don't think people generally minded that much because at the time it came out it was by far the best 3d card you could get in terms of performance and api support

Neco posted:

early 3d graphics were poo poo on consoles, I was there. it looked uglier than 2d sprites, the controls were poo poo or at least much worse than 2d predecessors (yes I am talking about Mario) and many game creators seemed to think that having 3d absolved them from creating actually good games
considering how they came to prominence near the end of the terrible era of fmv "games", i can't judge any of those clunky old 3d games too harshly

well except for the early 3d platformers because the vast majority of platformers are dreadful to begin with

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there are a few nice-looking PS1 games that have stood the test of time but for the most part console 3d games needed a few more years in the oven at least until the turn of the century.

the entire N64 catalog looked like absolute poo poo. Starfox for the SNES looks better than anything on the N64

that and control schemes were really rough until dual thumbsticks became universal as well.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I miss when when 3d cards had insane names like the Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix which was the voodoo banshee I got as my first card.

It came with a free copy of half life it ruled.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wow, 1996 for my first card :o:

https://www.pixelrefresh.com/3dfx-orchid-righteous-voodoo-1-where-3d-acceleration-truly-began/

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

and the box art was combat robots, the card itself was purple

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

there are a few nice-looking PS1 games that have stood the test of time but for the most part console 3d games needed a few more years in the oven at least until the turn of the century.

the entire N64 catalog looked like absolute poo poo. Starfox for the SNES looks better than anything on the N64

that and control schemes were really rough until dual thumbsticks became universal as well.

idk, Mario64 looked great as did Mario kart64. ocarina of time wasnt gorgeous or anything but I think it was way ahead of the PS

I think it was Need for Speed or maybe some snowboarding game that really blew my mind on the PS, but everything else was mediocre and sometimes downright clunky

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

actually yeah all of the first party n64 games looked really good compared to everyone else.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I miss when when 3d cards had insane names like the Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix which was the voodoo banshee I got as my first card.

Diamond Monster Fusion
Rage Fury Turbo
Orchid Razor Wolverine
Thunderbolt Titan Ringmaster
Blitz Viper Hammer
Manticore Judgement Volcano
Leviathan Stuntman Promise
Firestorm Savior Rumble
Tornado Lightspeed Hobgoblin
Triggershot Whirlwind Detonator

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 16, 2022

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sapozhnik posted:

for consoles imo in the brief period where it was psx vs. snes and saturn the only good actually 3d rendered games were racing sims or fps, and those weren't really 3d anyway until quake (which, iirc, was on saturn but not psx)

i'd say the n64 changed that, even if it wasn't always beautiful, although i think they did a decent job considering the technical restraints. i don't think many people would say mario 64 wasn't a good platformer for the time

the n64's debut also forced psx devs to step up. the games that came out afterwards are far better than the ones before it, i think

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
When I die, rig my coffin to play the PS1 startup sound if I'm ever exhumed.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
my first proper 3d accelerator was a 3dfx pass through that I spent about a week of the summer holidays trying to get the right combination of drivers and settings for it to work in a panic that I had wasted my money but once I actually got it rolling on my 200mhz/32mb machine (with MMX!) it looked great for the time

had a banshee later but it didn't feel as cutting edge by then

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

InternetOfTwinks posted:

When I die, rig my coffin to play the PS1 startup sound if I'm ever exhumed.

Windows XP startup noise

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

first 3d accelerator i ever saw was the Unreal intro running on a Voodoo Rush (voodoo1 + 2D chip, meaning you didn't need two cards). i though it basically looked like real life and that it was impossible for graphics to ever get better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i want fully path traced games. i don't care about poly count any more, simulate light rays instead.

https://i.imgur.com/eWrsglT.mp4

yeah look at valheim for example. super low poly but an incredible lighting engine. good lighting is what makes all the difference

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Radio Paranoia posted:

Windows XP startup noise

mac startup chime or The Microsoft Sound.wav if you want to curse my remains

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

mac startup chime or The Microsoft Sound.wav if you want to curse my remains

horns.aiff for all yosposters imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

scatch that actually just rig it to play random chimes of death

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

hell yee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPA9nTWXxjE

Beeftweeter posted:

for consoles imo in the brief period where it was psx vs. snes and saturn the only good actually 3d rendered games were racing sims or fps
virtua fighter and tekken were cool

Sweevo posted:

first 3d accelerator i ever saw was the Unreal intro running on a Voodoo Rush (voodoo1 + 2D chip, meaning you didn't need two cards). i though it basically looked like real life and that it was impossible for graphics to ever get better
oh nuts that's right, the rush was actually the first 2d/3d combo voodoo chipset, banshee came later. both were p. suboptimal tho

anyhoo i know the "graphics can't get any better than this" feeling but i'd already experienced that first upon seeing doom and then upon seeing daytona usa, so by the time unreal came around i was already sliiiiightly less quick to draw that conclusion

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nuts and Gum posted:

it had such bad faps (typo love it leaving it) that they offered a trade-in for the daughter card and a monster 3dfx 4mb

took it and kept the 2mb 2d card

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sombrerotron posted:

anyhoo i know the "graphics can't get any better than this" feeling but i'd already experienced that first upon seeing doom and then upon seeing daytona usa, so by the time unreal came around i was already sliiiiightly less quick to draw that conclusion

I kind of thought this recently and then I tried turning ray tracing on Control and was like "woah" and then turned it off because it crushed the frame rate on my non rtx card

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this got me lookin at some old 3d stuff and lol holy poo poo someone did a port of quake to the gba in 2002 :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy5XGrP6u_c

(yeah yeah some of you probably already know about this but i didn't)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxnbfRYM-g

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Exactly. The review of that card really drives home how great it was.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i want fully path traced games. i don't care about poly count any more, simulate light rays instead.

https://i.imgur.com/eWrsglT.mp4

lovely tv speakers did not do the bass justice

Also the euphoric feeling when the playstation logo came up because if only the sony one came up it meant there was some error

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

heck yeah propellerheads

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pro-click twitter account

https://twitter.com/nejumipro/status/1445311653076082688

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I don’t remember what my first 3d card was but I do remember upgrading to a new one as I was playing final fantasy 7 for the first time.

after the upgrade I had to do a complete reinstall of the game for some new drivers or something and didn’t think about backing up my saves or if you could even do it on the pc version then. I was all the way at the crater and have still never beaten the game even though I’ve owned it for 5 different systems

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

oh poo poo yeah that's the one my mum and dad bought me

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVJnajVxs-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp