Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should we post a poll every year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 4 44.44%
Yes 5 55.56%
Total: 9 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Quiet Feet posted:

That looks good to me.

Is the draft time/date on ESPN right?

Randomly looked at my team last year and I can't believe I managed a 3rd place finish. The only starting caliber RB I had was Chris Carson and he predictably go injured, and then it was all handcuffs after that.

I remember my year as "the year of the injured cardinals that I picked first and second". Thanks Kyler and DHOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

EconDad posted:

I remember my year as "the year of the injured cardinals that I picked first and second". Thanks Kyler and DHOP.

Well, the good news is that you can get DHop much later this year!

I am itchy with excitement for this draft.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

I’m def in, I’ll post my votes later, but wanted to post before I forgot!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Even though my friend won't make it this year -- he has indicated he'd like to stay on the waitlist, for the possibility of joining some other year.

SA name is... CRNotsch

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EconDad posted:

Even though my friend won't make it this year -- he has indicated he'd like to stay on the waitlist, for the possibility of joining some other year.

SA name is... CRNotsch

Not a problem at all. I’ve added his SA name on the waitlist.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is the draft date/time locked in or still subject to change? trying to schedule some other stuff and need to consider this (thanks)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

is the draft date/time locked in or still subject to change? trying to schedule some other stuff and need to consider this (thanks)

It's tentatively locked unless there is something big I missed (like the Game of Thrones finale)! If we need to change it and it doesn't cause a lot of problems with everyone else's schedule, we can.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Silly Burrito posted:

It's tentatively locked unless there is something big I missed (like the Game of Thrones finale)! If we need to change it and it doesn't cause a lot of problems with everyone else's schedule, we can.

Look deep inside and ask yourself: Was seeing that worth it? Really?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

darkwolf220 posted:

Look deep inside and ask yourself: Was seeing that worth it? Really?

In retrospect no, but I remember a bunch of people giving Jetsguy hell over it at the time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is the draft order finalized?

edit: nevermind, need 2 more confirmations, I guess

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

is the draft order finalized?

edit: nevermind, need 2 more confirmations, I guess

Not just yet, you’re right. We’ve got two spots left and if they don’t respond by the deadline, then we’ll go to the waitlist. But once it’s full, the draft order will be randomized and posted here.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

So, my votes:

1) keep Ds but maybe a GentleGoon's agreement that you can only roster 2 on a bye week, otherwise 1 per team?
2) keep kickers with same provision as above maybe?
3) can it be a superflex? oh let it be a superflex!
4) I have no opinion on this
5) Yes with same provision as 1/2 because aw yeah chaos

Victory cry: "This win wasn't just a given; it was a Lock. I was drunk when I wrote this."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Haven't heard from two teams from last year, so I'm opening it up and sending PMs to the waitlist. Since the vote is so close, I want to get their votes before we close it.

Edit: Worthleast, you don't have PMs, but if you're still interested in playing, please use the template in the first post of the thread to post your votes and send me your email to add you to the league.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 15, 2022

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Silly Burrito posted:

Haven't heard from two teams from last year, so I'm opening it up and sending PMs to the waitlist. Since the vote is so close, I want to get their votes before we close it.

Edit: Worthleast, you don't have PMs, but if you're still interested in playing, please use the template in the first post of the thread to post your votes and send me your email to add you to the league.

Team Name: TBD

1. Propose we remove defenses Yes
2. Propose we remove kickers Yes
3. If proposals #1 or #2 pass, replace it with either a 3rd flex/IDP/or nothing at all 3rd flex
4. Propose we revert defenses to ESPN standard scoring No
5. Propose we add punters No

Victory Cry: Not in the face!

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 15, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Worthleast posted:

Team Name: TBD

1. Propose we remove defenses Yes
2. Propose we remove kickers Yes
3. If proposals #1 or #2 pass, replace it with either a 3rd flex/IDP/or nothing at all 3rd flex
4. Propose we revert defenses to ESPN standard scoring No
5. Propose we add punters No

Victory Cry: Not in the face!

Got it, thanks, you can remove your email if you want. Your invitation has been sent.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok, we're looking for one more player as two of our waitlist have declined to play this year. I'll post in the fantasy football thread, but if someone is reading this and wants to join, come on in!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, we're looking for one more player as two of our waitlist have declined to play this year. I'll post in the fantasy football thread, but if someone is reading this and wants to join, come on in!

Silly Burrito posted:

We're looking for one more player in the 20 team league. We have 19 out of 20 players now, we just need one more. If you're interested, just let me know!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005436&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Screw it, I'll take the last slot if you'll have me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Screw it, I'll take the last slot if you'll have me.

Awesome, welcome! I'll send you a PM to get your info, but glad to have you!

And with that, we have our 20 teams for the league. Once AAAAA! Real Muenster posts his votes, we'll tally those up and then make the randomized draft list and schedule.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Team name: ArchimeDEEZ NUTS

1. Propose we remove defenses (Yes)
2. Propose we remove kickers (Yes)
3. If proposals #1 or #2 pass, replace it with either a 3rd flex/IDP/or nothing at all (None)
4. Propose we revert defenses to ESPN standard scoring (No) (I dont know what the current format is but uh, if defenses stay I'll take whatever it is and hope "Stuffs" arent included)
5. Propose we add punters (Yes)

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Now that we have a full league, it's time to lock in and calculate the votes. Quiet Feet did this already so it's not a huge surprise, but here are the results. When it was unclear/not voted on/different option chosen, I tried to standardize as best as possible / take the first option given:

1. Propose we remove defenses (Yes/No) 8 votes yes, 12 votes no, proposal does not pass.
2. Propose we remove kickers (Yes/No) 4 votes yes, 16 votes no, proposal does not pass.
3. If proposals #1 or #2 pass, replace it with either a 3rd flex/IDP/or nothing at all (3rd flex/IDP/None) 1 and 2 did not pass, so this is moot, but we had 12 votes for a third flex, 2 votes for IDP, 5 for none, proposal does not pass
4. Propose we revert defenses to ESPN standard scoring (Yes/No) 6 votes yes, 12 votes no, proposal does not pass
5. Propose we add punters (Yes/No) 10 votes yes, 9 votes no Proposal passes!

I'll add these tallies to the first post and add Quiet Feet's proposal for next year. Also, if someone wants to make a formal vote proposal for next year's rules, I'd ask that you add it to the thread with something similar to Vote Proposal: XYZ to make it easier to find when we round these up for the next year.

Next post will be about punters.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Since the proposal about punters passed, there's a couple of ways to go with it. Here were the previous two suggestions.

Silly Burrito posted:

Punts inside the 20 (PT20) = 1 point
Punts inside the 10 (PT10) = 2 points
Fair Catches (PTFC) = 1 point
Touchbacks (PTTB) = -1 point

pmchem posted:

I see that punters are a close vote. I run a different ESPN league with punters using the below settings, it's hilarious fun:

Mostly boring, say 6-10 points a week. But every now and then someone dumps a bunch of punts inside the ten for a 15 point game. Or a returner houses one and the punter gets negative points. It keeps things lively. Plus you learn more about special teams units. Highly recommend.

Since I've never played with punters outside of the Calvinball league, I'm inclined to lean towards Pmchem's suggestion since it's worked in a different league. If we want, we can put it to another formal vote, or we can just agree to try those settings for this year and see how it works. What say you all?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If defenses are staying I'd love for them to simply drop the negative points nonsense from opponent yardage and keep them the same otherwise. But I'm new so if I decide to stick around for a second season next year I'll officially add that as a proposal.

As for Punters, I like the idea of inside the 10 and fair catches counting for scoring so I'd lean the original proposal.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I think it makes sense to go with PmChem's suggestion. Use that as a blueprint and tinker next year if need be.

I'm thrilled the punters change passed and if it sucks we can always scrap it in the future. But I think it's gonna be fun.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

If defenses are staying I'd love for them to simply drop the negative points nonsense from opponent yardage and keep them the same otherwise. But I'm new so if I decide to stick around for a second season next year I'll officially add that as a proposal.

As for Punters, I like the idea of inside the 10 and fair catches counting for scoring so I'd lean the original proposal.

The defenses already score a massive amount of points in this league between return yards and passes defended.

Also, do we get another round in the draft to fit in the punter?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Since the proposal about punters passed, there's a couple of ways to go with it. Here were the previous two suggestions.

Since I've never played with punters outside of the Calvinball league, I'm inclined to lean towards Pmchem's suggestion since it's worked in a different league. If we want, we can put it to another formal vote, or we can just agree to try those settings for this year and see how it works. What say you all?

Sounds good

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

The defenses already score a massive amount of points in this league between return yards and passes defended.

Also, do we get another round in the draft to fit in the punter?

Yeah, I'll add that once we hash out the punter scoring.

As a possible variation, we could just add fair catches as 1 point to Pmchem's scoring and have both.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 16, 2022

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
The pmchem one works for me. Net punts just means… each punt, yes?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

As a possible variation, we could just add fair catches as 1 point to Pmchem's scoring and have both.
That sounds good to me. I'm not too particular about Punter scoring so I'm happy with whatever really.

Pain of Mind posted:

I'm just not a huge fan of DST starting with points and going up and down over the course of the game much more than any other type of player. It's less about max points and more about the scoring being a Rollercoaster. It's not a big deal to me, just my preference.

edit oh and losing points for allowing yards or points gets screwy if the DST has bad luck with their offense coughing up turnovers or something.

Edit2: though I guess if there is more DST scoring the yoyo effect will be less obvious. I need to stop posting and go to bed

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

That sounds good to me. I'm not too particular about Punter scoring so I'm happy with whatever really.

I'm just not a huge fan of DST starting with points and going up and down over the course of the game much more than any other type of player. It's less about max points and more about the scoring being a Rollercoaster. It's not a big deal to me, just my preference.

edit oh and losing points for allowing yards or points gets screwy if the DST has bad luck with their offense coughing up turnovers or something.

Edit2: though I guess if there is more DST scoring the yoyo effect will be less obvious. I need to stop posting and go to bed

Defenses cant go negative here. It’s not very worrisome in that way… but can lose you a game if an opposing team’s DST does a lot of dink and dunk scoring — even if they give up tons of actual points in a game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

EconDad posted:

The pmchem one works for me. Net punts just means… each punt, yes?

yeah, each punt.

I vote for my punter scoring ;) touchbacks as -0.5 would be interesting but -1 seems harsh. it's kind of equivalent to just adjusting the scoring for punts inside the 10. fair catches... don't like that, sometimes they're good things, sometimes bad (because the punt itself sucked)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

EconDad posted:

Defenses cant go negative here. It’s not very worrisome in that way… but can lose you a game if an opposing team’s DST does a lot of dink and dunk scoring — even if they give up tons of actual points in a game.
Interesting, thank you for the heads up! I'm going to ride it out and cant wait to see how it plays out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’m not a fan of punters getting points just for kicking a punt. That has nothing to do with him. That’s all on his offense if he kicks or not.

With that, I vote the first set of punt scoring.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I am indifferent to punter scoring and look forward to trying it out.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Donde esta draft order

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Donde esta draft order

Funny you should mention that...

As always, it was randomized five times, with Braksgirl watching for verification.

Congrats to Braksgirl for winning the #1 pick! (cue the COLLUSION chants now....trust me, I wouldn't give her the #1 pick :) )

I'll also go ahead and edit the draft order and add the punter position and change the schedule while we still work out the scoring. As soon as I finish Better Call Saul.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Huh, I'm right before EconDad.

Be a shame if I picked his guys right before he did!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Quiet Feet posted:

Huh, I'm right before EconDad.

Be a shame if I picked his guys right before he did!

18th. The perfect spot to lie in the weeds and POUNCE.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

These are a lot of the arguments I made back when we increased defense scoring to begin with. Too many times for my taste the right answer to 'Which defense should I play?' was none. People just didn't want to risk losing points. Or you had two complete teams play each other and the defenses looked inept because it was a shootout. There are very few situations where you should get punished for starting a player, but with defenses it felt like that punishment happened 3 or 4 games a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The thing I don't like about the defensive scoring at the moment is that they are too consistently high scoring. It would be one thing if only good defenses were putting up points equal to a RB1/WR1, but even garbage defenses are putting up more points than most RBs and WRs that people are starting. I tediously went through last years points by team (since for whatever reason the player list would only show players not on a roster) and came away with this:

code:
Rank	D	RB	WR
1	300	353	367
5	256	239	264
10	241	208	221
15	221	189	201
20	206	178	187
That is the points for the players at those ranks last year in our league. Outside of literally the top few players at a position and QBs, even bad defenses will outscore the majority of the first and second round picks.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 18, 2022