Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arzachel posted:

A hitbox lets you go back to charging easier since you only have to press a button instead of moving a lever. Strive is super light on charge wizardry, so that maybe saves you a bit of practice if you're new to charge characters. Stick is probably the most natural feeling for charge inputs imo (pad is basically unplayable).

What about Strive makes it seem unplayable on pads for you? I ask because when I played SF5 during the weekend, I alternated between the stick and pad.

In terms of button layout, I like the stick layout, I like the stick more because the button layout is a bit more intuitive (light-to-heavy moving from left to right; top row for punches; bottom row for kicks; grabs, V Skills, and V Triggers activated by pressing both buttons in a column). On pad, the heavy attacks are mapped to the right shoulder buttons, and that kept tripping me up because I'd mean to do heavy kick instead of heavy punch, or vice-versa.

On the other hand, I felt like I could do QC motions on the D-Pad with more ease, but that might be due to the fact that I haven't used the stick for a while now, and I need to practice with it more. It just seems like I miss a notch, or I spin it too far up or something.

When I played MK11 a year or two back, I started out with the stick, but switched back to pad, because it felt more suited to the game (blocking using the trigger was more intuitive than using the face button on the stick, but remapping might have fixed that). I think I was using the stick for Tekken 7, but I need to boot it up to remember how it controls. I remember something I read/watched that said some characters were better suited to pad, and others to a stick.

Trying to route it out in my head, I think what trips me up with charge moves is that I wouldn't think to push back or down after, say, doing a forward jump, because you're pressing up-forward to jump forward, so doing the opposite motion seems counter-intuitive to what I'm currently trying to execute. Obviously it isn't, since you're still committed to the jump, it's just that you can start charging a move during the movement. It's just seems like you have to plot things out a few steps ahead as you're doing them, but maybe I'm overthinking it.\

Bleck posted:

The reason I don't like playing as charge characters is because the charge is anti-rhythm, kind of - because there's nothing in-game to indicate to me what the period of time is before the charge is complete and/or that the charge has completed and I'm ready to do the attack, there's nothing for me to base my anticipation on, and as a result I never quite get the hang of when to know that I'm charged. Curious to know if any other musicians feel this way.

I still think it's good that charge characters exist, though.

I'm not a musician, but I had the thought to try and use a metronome to try and gauge how soon you'd be able to use a charge move. [url="https://www.google.com/search?q=metronome+street+fighter&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=pEZqYPLVKdC8-gTa6KGgBg&oq=metronome+street+fighter&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCrAjIFCCEQqwI6BwgAELADEEM6BQgAELEDOgIIADoFCAAQkQI6AgguOggILhDHARCvAToGCAAQFhAeOgcIIRAKEKABUN6fAljmtwJg5bgCaAFwAngAgAG-AogB5Q6SAQgxMS4yLjEuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjyt7mj2uXvAhVQnp4KHVp0CGQQ4dUDCAw&uact=5"]Other people have had that idea as well[/ur;].

This comment in particular seemed insightful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/3f2trj/learning_frame_data_to_a_metronome/ posted:

Iirc, there were old threads on SRK about people learning links and combos using a specific bpm on a metronome to help them increase their success rate with executing links and combos.

Another tiny detail that people saw was that the SF4 health bar had a surging spec of light that would get sent from the timer to the respective edge of the screen. There used to be hypotheses that used that surge of light in each combo to help give feedback on how to adjust their combo timing.

I think I've played a lot of SF4 on every platform (PS3, cabinet, 360, PC, PS4).

Each platform seems to have a different timing from their others, resulting in there being lots of variance when it comes to completing 1f links with high consistency. I think recording Ryu's SPS ~ cr.hp xx dp will show that there is some slight timing differences between the platforms.

So if you're going to stick to a specific platform. then the metronome method is really good. Be careful for the "if and when" you transition between platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm learning Potemkin in Strive so i'm basically forced to learn ONE charge move, and i'm getting the hang of it but the worst thing is that if you do an input too early to buffer and it's a charge input, that's it, it's not happening period

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1f links are cool except im not playing anything where i need to do them for every combo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Strive on pad becomes easier if you map your attacks to the buttons and dust, RC, etc to shoulders. I much prefer it on stick though because mashing an RC and giving moves your all feels right.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone else play using PC keyboard?

I use keypad 8246 as udlr and a-d+z-c as punches/kicks and have since forever ago. It feels a lot more precise and I can pull off pretty much any move (including standing 360s or jab whiff standing 720s if I've been practising for a bit, though I tend to go long periods between playing grapplers).

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm learning Potemkin in Strive so i'm basically forced to learn ONE charge move, and i'm getting the hang of it but the worst thing is that if you do an input too early to buffer and it's a charge input, that's it, it's not happening period

You're going to be using it a lot!

You can practice by trying 6H into hammerfall in the corner to practice. It should combo when done correctly.

I won't lie, playing Potemkin is physically exhausting to me (lol). Being essentially forced to kara almost everything is very tiring!

I just play Faust now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean i played Makoto in 3S so kara cancels and half-circle motions are like riding a bike, that part's fine

speaking of Strive can anyone explain to me what a "best bout" replay is and where they're saved? i have replays set not to record by default because that's mostly just clutter but i assumed that marking something as a best bout would mean the game saves it. but it's nowhere to be found

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
There's a search filter in replays for best bouts. I'm not sure if they will be saved if you don't have replays enabled though.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

teagone posted:

Better quality on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO2evFbcwYQ

Kimberly's game face owns.

She flips past her mark on the versus screen and has to run to get back in place in time. She's just so happy to be there. :kimchi:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

poe meater posted:

There's a search filter in replays for best bouts. I'm not sure if they will be saved if you don't have replays enabled though.

that's kind of irritating but a filter's better than sorting through them manually at least; thanks!

Breetai posted:

I use keypad 8246 as udlr and a-d+z-c as punches/kicks and have since forever ago. It feels a lot more precise and I can pull off pretty much any move (including standing 360s or jab whiff standing 720s if I've been practising for a bit, though I tend to go long periods between playing grapplers).

yeah. 10-12 years ago people thought i was nuts to use a keyboard. now you're more likely to see people saying that discrete digital inputs for directions is cheating :v:

it can be rough in older games where you have to hit every diagonal perfectly but even then it's just a matter of practice

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 16, 2022

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I normally play pad, but I ended up injuring my right thumb a bit ago. I can play other games fine but Strive and SG gently caress it up pretty bad, so I dug out my old Qanba and started working with it again doing Bridget tutorials.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Capcom really know what the fanboys want huh, thicc chun li with jiggle, juris feet, the cute anime pout face. They are going all in. I just want to see what pre game face Depressed Ken will have.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I booted up Tekken 7 with the stick and played a bit, and I think I realized why I haven't really played Tekken 7 since I installed it. It feels like you have to very specific with the inputs, otherwise, certain moves won't execute. It could just be my inaccuracy with using the stick, but with the moves that require you to hit two buttons, I felt like I had to really hit the buttons hard for them to work.

Since I bought Eliza some time after I last played it, I tried using her. Someone posted a tier-list that had her listed under "I come from 2D games", and I understand why now. She's got a fireball and a dragon punch with corresponding inputs, with EX versions if you fill up her bar. However, I had a hell of time trying to execute them when I played through arcade mode with her. I think one of the reasons why I took to SF5 is because it was actually very lenient with doing inputs for specials moves, where you can buffer them in with another attack if you mash on the buttons and stick like I do. Tekken 7 doesn't seem that lenient, though.

I switched over to Katarina, who I was using primarily beforehand. Going into training, I remembered what made her more palatable is that most of her moves are mostly mashing kicks, and then transitioning into Harrier, which lets you do another move. She's also got a 10-hit combo that's relatively easy to remember. I fought two online matches against one person, where I won the first and got a promotion up to 2nd Dan, but I lost the revenge match. However, I chalk that first victory up to dumb luck, because I was just mostly trying to do the 10 hit combo and Harrier moves to get past the block.

I dunno, I think Tekken 7 just intimidates me because you've got a lot more moves to learn/memorize, and it feels a lot more punishing if you make a mistake. I've yet to start the story mode, though, so maybe once I've done that and played around with some more of the characters, I'll get the hang of it. Think I'm going to switch back over to the pad for it, though.

Also Tekken Bowl is a lot of fun.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ulio posted:

Capcom really know what the fanboys want huh, thicc chun li with jiggle, juris feet, the cute anime pout face. They are going all in. I just want to see what pre game face Depressed Ken will have.

They were going all in for years. Ever see rainbow mika's sfv super?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thicc lost all meaning

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Arzachel posted:

Is that different from cancel windows and links though? You can try to use visual/audio cues but it's just something you have to drill into muscle memory.

With cancels and links I can use the rhythm of the animation of the attack I'm comboing from to learn when I need to push the button.

Basically my problem is that with every other possible thing in a fighting game, I have something to determine what I'm supposed to be drilling into muscle memory - what frame, what animation, what sound, etc. - but with charge specials, there's nothing to confirm where it's supposed to happen except knowing whether or not I already did it correctly, and practicing in a vacuum like that is too tedious for my tastes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Breetai posted:

They were going all in for years. Ever see rainbow mika's sfv super?

Remember what they took from us.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

alright step one 10 hit combos are bad and you probably shouldn't do them. reason why is related to step two: set the training dummy's second action to Guard All. tekken lies about what is and isn't a combo if you don't do this. why? i have no idea and blame harada for this.

tekken's definitely stricter about special move inputs than SFV, but most characters don't have 'em, so it's just button + direction. and it kinda has to be strict there, since button + slightly different direction is a whole other move and all that jazz.

there is a lot of stuff to learn but you absolutely don't need to learn all of it immediately. finding a good quick mid poke (it's usually df1), a good quick low, a chunky high risk low if your character has it, a launcher and semi-decent combo for when they really gently caress up, and then remembering that the 1 jab is a good move is a good place to start.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I flubbed 1+2 and 3+4 moves so many times because of it reading it as a single press, i just bound those to a single button. If it's in the options menu it's legal right (well not the autocombos)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I flubbed 1+2 and 3+4 moves so many times because of it reading it as a single press, i just bound those to a single button. If it's in the options menu it's legal right (well not the autocombos)

Yes, it is legal and Tekken is particularly finicky about simultaneous button presses.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah i just bind those. no idea why those are so strict

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finally dragged my Honda kicking and screaming up into Super Silver. Hundred Hands go brrrrrrrrrr.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

What about Strive makes it seem unplayable on pads for you? I ask because when I played SF5 during the weekend, I alternated between the stick and pad.

Not Strive, charge characters specifically are rough on pad. Holding charge isn't very comfortable and there's not much feedback.

Bleck posted:

With cancels and links I can use the rhythm of the animation of the attack I'm comboing from to learn when I need to push the button.

Basically my problem is that with every other possible thing in a fighting game, I have something to determine what I'm supposed to be drilling into muscle memory - what frame, what animation, what sound, etc. - but with charge specials, there's nothing to confirm where it's supposed to happen except knowing whether or not I already did it correctly, and practicing in a vacuum like that is too tedious for my tastes.

You can always count the beats!
https://twitter.com/VanSuika_/status/1174469203098685441

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/h_wallacepires/status/1559353323790163968

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Breetai posted:

I do arrow keys for movement and ZXCV as punch kick etc tho with SF it's ASD punches ZXC kicks.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

counting the days for melty autocombo and shield changes(and neco arc)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

pog boyfriend posted:

counting the days for melty autocombo and shield changes(and neco arc)

I've been on a kick with relearning this game before the update drops, and since I only just got the internet back I downloaded all the released dlc characters last night.

I am surprised to be interested in Power Ciel, she's not normally the sort of character I try to learn.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I find if i get into a game right before an update i'll play like 40 hours and then stop playing when the patch is live until right before the next one

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Finally dragged my Honda kicking and screaming up into Super Silver. Hundred Hands go brrrrrrrrrr.

Nice, I play some Honda on the side, my main is Ed which is all mash buttons. Do you play mostly a ground game with hundred hands or play with the air specials more?

Also what are some good ways to practice 1 button hit confirms, I am usually good at 2 buttons but at longer range you usually have only 1 button confirms.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ulio posted:

Also what are some good ways to practice 1 button hit confirms, I am usually good at 2 buttons but at longer range you usually have only 1 button confirms.

Set the dummy to random block and focus on seeing the hit spark instead of guessing. Not all cancelable pokes have late enough cancel windows to actually be confirmable, mind.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ulio posted:

Nice, I play some Honda on the side, my main is Ed which is all mash buttons. Do you play mostly a ground game with hundred hands or play with the air specials more?

Mostly on the ground - a lot of my gameplan at this level is letting my opponent kill themselves by making sure I punish their jump-ins with heavy headbutt and patiently block them before punishing with jab into hands (and then into hands again if they've shown they don't know how to stop me doing it or consistently press buttons and get hit by the second one). If they start backdashing to escape pressure I'll nail them with L or M headbutt and try and walk them into the corner. Once I'm in the corner I'll EX buttslam into hands and by this point can start mixing in command throws or dash up throws along with the hands.

I'll occasionally mix in light buttslam here and there to see if I can catch someone napping but a lot of anti airs (or shoryukens that the silver shotos I'm frequently playing against tend to throw out) beat it pretty clean so I tend to stay on the ground.

I'm trying not to get reliant on fake pressure as I know eventually people will wise up but it's always delightful when I come across someone who has zero idea about the matchup and I can just bully them relentlessly around the stage.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Ulio posted:

I've had success practicing by watching my opponent's life bar and reacting to it going down for 1 hit confirms. It sort of depends on how fast you need to confirm it since you have to take your eyes off the action for a bit, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

alright step one 10 hit combos are bad and you probably shouldn't do them. reason why is related to step two: set the training dummy's second action to Guard All. tekken lies about what is and isn't a combo if you don't do this. why? i have no idea and blame harada for this.

tekken's definitely stricter about special move inputs than SFV, but most characters don't have 'em, so it's just button + direction. and it kinda has to be strict there, since button + slightly different direction is a whole other move and all that jazz.

there is a lot of stuff to learn but you absolutely don't need to learn all of it immediately. finding a good quick mid poke (it's usually df1), a good quick low, a chunky high risk low if your character has it, a launcher and semi-decent combo for when they really gently caress up, and then remembering that the 1 jab is a good move is a good place to start.

I'll remember to set it to Guard All next time go into training.

I switched to pad this evening, and while that's easier to set up simply because it's smaller, I realize now that stick might actually be easier for one simple reason: it's harder to hit the dual buttons on the pad. Because of how finicky the inputs have to be, doing it with my thumb doesn't always hit both buttons at the exact same time. It's not too bad if I'm doing anything with the 4 input, but if the move wants me to do like 24 or 13, I have to switch to my index and middle finger to hit the buttons, else risk grazing another button.

I tried three other characters today: Bob, Asuka, and Lili; all three I remember seeing suggested as starter characters. I ran through Bob's moves, than ran through the arcade mode, but I didn't do that great. I was going to comment on Bob's moves, but now I can't remember what any of them were. I think it was around that point that I started using the L1 button that lets you do the quick move inputs.

After that I tried Asuka, and I at first I thought she might be a good choice since it seemed like she had a simple launcher and some good combo inputs, but after getting halfway through her move list, I realized her moves were a lot more complex (she had a lot of the 13 24 inputs, which I knew were going to trip me up). I switched to Lili, and I thought she had some good moves, like the b4 hop that you can link into a leg sweep. I ran through arcade mode with her, and managed a perfect on one round, which (coupled with doing a Rage Art against Heihashi) let me face Akuma, who I died to a lost to a few times before beating him (I don't think I've been able to clear Arcade mode once without having to continue). I did a couple of rounds in Treasure Mode that I won, then I switched to Online, but I had less success there.

I switched back to Katarina, and I managed to get a couple of wins, which got me up to 2nd Dan again (I keep bouncing between the bottom two rankings). However, it still felt dicey trying to win those matches.

I still have yet to touch Story Mode, so I'm still planning to do that, but...I dunno, I just feel like I'm not really taking to the game that well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wifi players are on suicide watch.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

there was already a wifi indicator. the actual ping and rollback things are nice. what isn't nice is that the notes are out in japanese but not english yet. like 99% of them seem to be "some random move does wallbounce on hit or block" and then literally nothing else though. hype!!! also apparently fahk, lidia and leroy got sniped. kuni maybe did but i haven't heard for sure + can't read japanese.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/ban_anya/status/1559815123568574464

Boooooo, BOOOOOOO!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If this is what it takes to make the funny cat a real character so be it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgrNrpDtMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXBaXHVlwo