Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

I can see thinking it didn't play well or something but a game where you can drive a UFO and a dinosaur wasn't ridiculous enough for you?

I thought the course structure was nothing like USA either, to its benefit. Wild, levels with different paths and crazy stuff going on.

i didn't get that far and had no idea those rides were involved. not bad. but yea, the gameplay was pretty off too.

it just rubbed me completely the wrong way. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I loved USA on the N64 but the new one looks floaty and unsatisfying in videos. If they had a demo that would be great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LuckyCat posted:

I loved USA on the N64 but the new one looks floaty and unsatisfying in videos. If they had a demo that would be great.
It reminds me a lot of a phone game. Drive in a straight line while tapping at the right time over jumps and knowing the correct time to veer left or right to pick up a collectible or unlock a hidden path. Not an unfun experience, but really stretching the definition of a racing game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can I play Kirby Fall Guys solo, offline?

Seems like a good commuting game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

There is a single player mode in Dream Buffet, yes (select Battle Mode from the main menu)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh what? You telling me I'm just chillin on the patio, when I could be playing a new kirby?

Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah there’s a CPU mode that’s identical to the online. You can even earn ranks in your battle pass from it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

B33rChiller posted:

Oh what? You telling me I'm just chillin on the patio, when I could be playing a new kirby?

Thanks!
You could be chilling on the patio while playing the new Kirby!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hrist posted:

I know you said you sold Sword already. But when I transferred over to my OLED, I tried to back up the cloud save, and I learned that no pokemon game allows that for some reason. But when everything was put onto the new card, it was all there. I don't know how it works. But it seems like in cases like that, Nintendo just somehow keeps it attached to your profile anyway. It's one of the few games I own as digital instead of physical. So maybe it's something to do with that. But i know the carts don't store saves anyway. So who knows. :shrug:

I get the impression that games like that save to the console itself as a precaution. Either way I have my Splat2n save data, everything is good in the world.

My games downloaded over night, though I put a bunch on that I didn't actually download, I just want the icons hanging around. Now for the painstaking process of remaking my groups, and asking myself if I actually want to put EVERY icon on the map.

I'll download save data as I go, it's in the cloud for now, which worries me because I don't know what that actually is and what if a server gets wonky, but I can't mass DL them like I can games so I'm not going to rush it.

I feel like this was a rather obtuse experience, so thanks Nintendo, but I'm happy with my new OLED, my partner is happy with her Stardew Valley machine, and one day I'll hack it maybe.

Everyone enjoy Kirby Fall Guys, it seems cute but I'm a bit low in cash having bought this and a voucher to get Splat3n. I'll keep my other one for now, but it'll likely pick me up Dread later this year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You can't transfer a SD card between Switches without redownloading games because the game content is encrypted with a per-console key for security/piracy prevention reasons.

Saves are stored on internal memory and can't be transferred to an SD card, again for security reasons (see all past Nintendo consoles hacked via save exploits).

Screenshots are stored on the SD card and can be transferred between consoles by moving the SD card. This is actually the only way to transfer them.

Some games don't support cloud saves because that might enable cheating via save scumming. Usually these are games with an online component, and (hopefully!) support remote saves/profiles with their own mechanism.

You can transfer save data from one Switch to another directly, as long as both are in your possession, either for individual titles or for an entire profile.

Somewhat related, you can upgrade to a new SD card (usually of larger capacity) on a single Switch without redownloading games by copying the game contents from the old card to a new one on a Windows desktop. Mac/Linux/Chrome/Amiga/whatever YMMV since the Switch uses directory attributes in non-standard ways to workaround the 4 GB file size limitation on FAT 32 volumes (and also does this on exFAT volumes where said limitation doesn't exist).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I tried to downgrade using a 128 SD card to put my 400 GB one on the new Switch, but the old Switch wouldn't take the new card and I have a mac that I used to transfer the files.

It doesn't matter, and I know there's good reason for the security and what not. It was far more complicated than I thought it would be, while remaining relatively simple, but it's all working now, and frankly I'm amazed at the battery life. It's not going to do my life much good, but wow imagine putting up with only 2/3 hours of battery when most of that is plot (Triangle Strategy). I'll probably spend my afternoon manually putting my groups back in order.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc, Pokemon won't cloud save so you can't save-scum Pokemon trades to give everyone rares and the like. I think it's the same for Animal Crossing and Splatoon as well?

The Mystery Dungeon game on Switch didn't allow cloud backups either. So I assume it's just some Gamefreak thing. But I really have no idea. By the time I was transferring everything over, I haven't played Animal Crossing in over a year. So I didn't even bother making sure that worked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1559757350021435392?s=21&t=AYV_eP2-HSqbBHECvpHCUQ

Get rekt idiots.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dream buffet looks sick

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That was beautifully done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The controls seem a bit floaty but it’s a decent racing game so far at the very least (though even by Kirby side game standards this is very short)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hrist posted:

The Mystery Dungeon game on Switch didn't allow cloud backups either. So I assume it's just some Gamefreak thing. But I really have no idea.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s savescum prevention too, since you’re supposed to lose your stuff or get rescued by other players when you die.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mr. Resetti is the Vice President of Nintendo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kirbamari Dreamacy WHEN

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kirb smarter, not harder

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Kirbamari Dreamacy WHEN

I just remembered it's been like 3 years since Katamari Damacy Reroll came out and still no We <3 Katamari Reroll.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Reported for kirb stomping!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Re: Kirby Strawberry Shortguy - Is local 2 player worth it? Bummed that local coop doesn't include 3-4 player modes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dream Buffet is also the first Kirby game that as far as I’m aware doesn’t have an ending (it’s mostly just a racing game and the tracks appear to be randomized every time you play), you just play until you get tired of it.

Additionally, you can unlock bonus music tracks if you have save data from any of the previous Kirby Switch titles on your system

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

The controls seem a bit floaty but it’s a decent racing game so far at the very least (though even by Kirby side game standards this is very short)

Larryb posted:

Dream Buffet is also the first Kirby game that as far as I’m aware doesn’t have an ending (it’s mostly just a racing game and the tracks appear to be randomized every time you play), you just play until you get tired of it.

Additionally, you can unlock bonus music tracks if you have save data from any of the previous Kirby Switch titles on your system

Not trying to be rude but the concept of a person who has never seen battle royale / obstacle course game show style video game in 2022 is really funny to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

American McGay posted:

Not trying to be rude but the concept of a person who has never seen battle royale / obstacle course game show style video game in 2022 is really funny to me.

None of those are really complaints though (and yes, I’m familiar with the genre but I just haven’t played much of it), just commenting that the latter is a first for this franchise which has dabbled in multiple game types over the years that’s all (even the golf game, the previous racing title Air Ride, and the literal battle royale game on the 3DS had endings of a sort so it’s not exactly that weird an expectation)

But who cares, game’s fun

Anyway, out of curiosity are there any unlockable characters in the game besides various forms of Kirby?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 17, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can't transfer a SD card between Switches without redownloading games because the game content is encrypted with a per-console key for security/piracy prevention reasons.

Saves are stored on internal memory and can't be transferred to an SD card, again for security reasons (see all past Nintendo consoles hacked via save exploits).

Screenshots are stored on the SD card and can be transferred between consoles by moving the SD card. This is actually the only way to transfer them.

Some games don't support cloud saves because that might enable cheating via save scumming. Usually these are games with an online component, and (hopefully!) support remote saves/profiles with their own mechanism.

You can transfer save data from one Switch to another directly, as long as both are in your possession, either for individual titles or for an entire profile.

Somewhat related, you can upgrade to a new SD card (usually of larger capacity) on a single Switch without redownloading games by copying the game contents from the old card to a new one on a Windows desktop. Mac/Linux/Chrome/Amiga/whatever YMMV since the Switch uses directory attributes in non-standard ways to workaround the 4 GB file size limitation on FAT 32 volumes (and also does this on exFAT volumes where said limitation doesn't exist).

This is a good post and should be added to the op or something

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My partner and I are house-sitting this weekend, so Dream Buffet looks like an adorable way to kill time. :allears:

Larryb posted:

the previous racing title Air Ride

It's been a month or so, so I'm reappearing to DEMAND Nintendo do a port or sequel of Air Ride. :colbert:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Aside from Wind Waker and I guess Twilight Princess, my top ports... would be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn in a two-for-one deal, I can't evaluate them properly it's been so long since I've played them, but I loved them when they came out and thought they were really among the best FE made up until that point, if not the best. And I guess F-Zero GX which I would buy and continue to be godawful at.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pikmin and pikmin 2

also make pikmin 4

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh those are good choices too actually. I don't change my vote, but drat, those are good choices.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

pikmin and pikmin 2

also make pikmin 4

There was a small fire at nintendo HQ this week, and someone on Twitter said the pikmin 4 master build got destroyed, so now they have to start over again. This tweet was quoted in a news article which is how I heard about it.

However, there doesn't seem to be any corroborating information out there and I think the pikmin 4 stuff was bullshit.

Regardless the fire really did happen. :o

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There was a small fire at nintendo HQ this week, and someone on Twitter said the pikmin 4 master build got destroyed, so now they have to start over again. This tweet was quoted in a news article which is how I heard about it.

However, there doesn't seem to be any corroborating information out there and I think the pikmin 4 stuff was bullshit.

This would mean a $56 billion dollar company had a server room fire and didn’t do off site backups.

But it’s Nintendo so I believe it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was actually the BotW2 master that got burned.

Someone asked about it and apparently a 58 year old employee thought that when someone said to burn a copy they meant to set it on fire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unfortunately Team Cherry picked that day to send someone at Nintendo the only copy of Silksong

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Unfortunately Team Cherry picked that day to send someone at Nintendo the only copy of Silksong

Why would you say this. Why would you say this, and 'cause me this pain,

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Nintendo news site sourced by a single tweet? That’s as good as fact in my book.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was one of those Pikmin targeting fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Waluigi started the fire and loving died